Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 19:22   #1
BHPian

Which bike for my father

Dear "Team",

I wish to buy a 100/110 cc bike for my dad ( aged 60, fairly healthy). I have short listed Bajaj Discover 110, TVS Jive and Honda Twister. I want you all to help me decide. Actual owners of these bikes, please share your experience. I am mainly looking for comfort, efficiency and reliability.

I am aware of bajaj quality issues (own a pulsar with piston replacement at 18K kms), honda built quality (have unicorn in family) and TVS capabilities.

Kindly drop your inputs.

Thanks.
Old 1st April 2010, 19:32   #2
BHPian

Jive suits the best of the lot. Clutch-free gear shifting a boon in traffic, you can run the bike from zero in any gear. The power and mileage are great too.

Though, Twister is good, I guess it does not suit old people, unless they still feel young.
Old 1st April 2010, 19:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmm why not the tried & test Splendor/super splendor?

Its comfy, reliable, easily serviceable. If its something new then dont go for Bajaj if you plan to sell it in 2-3 years as Bajaj has been irregular with models in sub 125cc segment.

I would recommend a Shine or Twister.

Jive could be dicey to get used to as its clutch less & also it would be difficult for him to ride anything else.
Old 1st April 2010, 19:51   #4
BHPian

why don't you buy him a honda activa/dio or suzuki access ? any specific reason for you to look for geared bikes ?
Old 1st April 2010, 19:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would've suggested Jive, but not sure of TVS's service capabalities. In terms of reliabilities, nothing beats Honda, you may settle in for Shine for simple looks & Twister priced less to Shine. Whatever you choose, suggested opting for Self start with drum brakes, if your Dad is not so comfortable with front disc. Good luck.
Old 1st April 2010, 20:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tried and tested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Not for nothing are there so many HH on road. It is reliable and a no hassle bike. But, of late, I am sort of sick in the stomach looking at the various iterations they have rolled out - don't know exactly what the design team at HH and Bajaj is aiming for!

I would suggest a look at TVS Star City. There was a model with self start and alloy wheels. And think it had one of the best headlight beam. A compact and competent bike - for the city.
Old 1st April 2010, 20:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
why don't you buy him a honda activa/dio or suzuki access ? any specific reason for you to look for geared bikes ?
+1 to this. It would be very easy for him to handle in traffic and if you get an Access or Aviator, you get front telescopic suspension which is at par with the suspension of the splendor+ etc.

Worth giving the gearless scoots a thought.
Old 1st April 2010, 20:27   #8
BHPian

Suzuki is very reliable man. Zeus is good.
Old 1st April 2010, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
+1 to it.

I was going to suggest the same. However much I hate Hero Honda for putting old wine in new bottle, Splendor is gem of a bike. It is comfortable, refined, fuel efficient, hassle free. Build quality is good too. You can spot several well maintained Splendors, which have already crossed 10 years.
Old 1st April 2010, 21:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Look no further than splender. Its proven,reliable and hassle free. And about the looks, I guess it really wouldn't matter to your dad.
Old 1st April 2010, 21:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

1) Stick to Hero Honda. I have noticed that Bajaj service quality is not very good. We had two Spirit and Caliber. Currently we have Kristal. Avoid Bajaj.

2) TVS Jive. Its not a proven product, but worth a try due to clutchless facility.

3) Best bet is splenor/Passion. Splendor is reliable, proven and Hero honda offers the best service in Vadodara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Suzuki is very reliable man. Zeus is good.
Who told you ? I have an almost three year old Zeus and within 14K kms, I have already spent Rs. 4160/- for maintenance. I was almost killed when throttle was jammed, and that slider part was Rs. 450/-. Its very very rare for that part to go wrong, but in my case it did. Only in case of scooters this part went bad. But our 1 lakh kms+ Girnar 150 never had slider problem. Our Caliber which did 85-90K kms+ naver had this issue. Presently Kristal never had this issue.

Suzuki is probably the worst of the lot. No market, but somehow after sales and service is better than Bajaj as far Vadodara goes.

@indiavirus : Ask for Mr. Gurmeet if you are buying suzuki. I know him well and he really a good person trying to solve customer's problem and listen to them.

How about considering an automatic scooter like Activa or Aviator ?
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:59   #12
BHPian

Thank you guys for your support and advice. I really appreciate your response.

My dad is a ex-navy, self made sort of man. As a result he is man of his beliefs and he somehow does not like hero honda brand bikes. I am aware of hero honda credentials but as this being case I didn't include hero hondas in selection.

@Guru, Abhi we already have a deo at home, but these scooters don't seem to be as easy on backs as bikes (self experienced). My dad got idea of bike after riding my pulsar (Nitrox suspension).

@Goswami, i was thinking of getting rid of pulsar for it's quality issues and going in for GS 150 R for myself. Would it be a wise move?
Old 2nd April 2010, 11:18   #13
BHPian

go for the clutch less Jive . it has great mileage and decent looks .
twister is for younger crowd and dad may look odd on it .
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:09   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
i was thinking of getting rid of pulsar for it's quality issues and going in for GS 150 R for myself. Would it be a wise move?
I had asked this in some other thread too. What about the spare parts availability of suzuki models after about 1 or 2 years. I am running here and there to get the spare of a kinetic bike.

Why dont you go with yamaha if you dont like HH or bajaj. Gladiator is a good one. you have quality and reliability, and a couple of CC extra
Old 2nd April 2010, 12:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Honda Twister.
After having this wonderful motorcycle in your mind, you are still thinking about others?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks