Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 13:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

U cant sue Bajaj.

O-ring technology is used in many of the modern bikes like RTR's, R15, FZ etc. Yes, it is difficult to maintain but it complements the overall looks. If u dont wanna maintain it every 500kms better put a chain cover!

And all chains do make noise. Dont over concentrate in the noise aspect.

BTW, Bajaj has got nothing to do i guess. ROLON supplies chains to Bajaj and many other popular bike manufacturers.
Old 8th April 2010, 13:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

I'm really laughing my head off here!!! Do you really think there is any point at all in moving to court.

The sound from the chain can only have two reasons,

1. Extremely dry chain
2. Chain slack not adjusted properly

If "you" don't maintain it, then I don't it give your the right to point a finger at Bajaj. Its clearly mentioned that you need to properly clean/lubricate/adjust slack for the chain every 400-800kms depending on your riding style and conditions.

I've used this so called flawed chain design for 52000kms on my 220. And really don't find a problem at all.

EDIT: I just want to add that the chain is manufactured by Rolon and not Bajaj!

Last edited by praful : 8th April 2010 at 13:37.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Sam - Sorry to sound negative, I'm sure your case will not hold good for long & Bajaj will send you back home. See, the very reason for high end motorcycles to use belt is to avoid the chain noise & less maintenance. Bajaj will simply say, we never said it will be complete silence & they would simply say compare our chains w.r.t XYZ brand or chain & see the difference and obviously it will be less & then Bajaj will win the case. With chain, yes the noise WILL be there & there're no silent chains with zero maintenance at present in the market.

Like I told before, Sam, I'm not discouraging you, but telling you that instead of fighting, simply start enjoying the sound & its not harming you anyway isn't it? Regarding lubrication, there're so many good chain lubricators available in the market in different price ranges & do that by yourself. A can could cost you around 500-1300 depending on the brand & will last long for couple of years depending on your usage & ride.
Actually i find the ticking sound cool! But yes if its on the higher side accompanied with vibes at low speeds, check sprocket alignment and chain guide cleaning & lubrication. I modded by pulsar 180 ug2 with the P220 chain set. Initally the noise was alarming. I noticed that the chain guide, which is located on the swing arm (the rubber thing over which the chain runs had a lot of grease mixed muck on it. I cleaned it with petrol, redid the chain sproket installation after throughly cleaning all three with petrol and lubing it with grease and EP90. The chain now sounds like a swatch on NOS!

The ticking sound is a true SBK thing AFAIF. Hope this helps.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:14   #19
BHPian

I would like to check out the issue myself as I've got a similar problem with my RTR. Please let me know if I come over on a weekend and check it out. Probably we can both of us can sort out this problem, in case we find common ground
Old 16th June 2010, 12:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
I would like to check out the issue myself as I've got a similar problem with my RTR. Please let me know if I come over on a weekend and check it out. Probably we can both of us can sort out this problem, in case we find common ground

well dear i am sure you can reach by weekend as I live in Delhi
Old 16th June 2010, 13:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
U cant sue Bajaj.

O-ring technology is used in many of the modern bikes like RTR's, R15, FZ etc. Yes, it is difficult to maintain but it complements the overall looks. If u dont wanna maintain it every 500kms better put a chain cover!

And all chains do make noise. Dont over concentrate in the noise aspect.

BTW, Bajaj has got nothing to do i guess. ROLON supplies chains to Bajaj and many other popular bike manufacturers.
The OEM chain of my Pulsar 180 UG2 outlasted the engine . The valves went bust at 28K. Engine started guzzling oil at 38K, even then the chain had half life left! I did a DIY engine upgrade to 200cc which is when i started tinkering with sprokets. Thats when it was replaced with that of P220-FI.

I was particular with the lubrication intervals and of course the chain cover made all the difference. The chain used to be pretty clean when ever I opened it. The heavy old chain sure makes a good weapon... reminds me of the movie "Torque"
Old 16th June 2010, 19:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

The chain noise is a very normal issue with the O ring chains but that does not mean one has to go all pissed off at the OEM's and all that. i had a simillar thing but again a simple wash and lube helped it. all and things would not be good in the non o ring chains or if you find it so problematic. i would really suggest do for a pull covered chain guard or go shaft drive. hehehe
Old 16th June 2010, 20:30   #23
BHPian

@sportz kruzer - I didn't notice your place. Hehehe.... I'm on the lookout for chain spray myself. Monsoon is the worst time for open chained bikes. Cleaning it every week becomes a criteria :(
Old 17th June 2010, 11:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdna View Post
@sportz kruzer - I didn't notice your place. Hehehe.... I'm on the lookout for chain spray myself. Monsoon is the worst time for open chained bikes. Cleaning it every week becomes a criteria :(
I know how it begins to feel when lot of dried mud sticks to the chains it makes those measly sounds....the way I clean the chain is to take an old tooth brush and a bottle of diesel. Kick out all the muck from the chain and both sprockets. lift the chain on the area where it almost touches the swing arm (near the pivot). The back rubber line that sits on the swing arm is called the chain guide. You'll find a lot of muck there! Use the brush and diesel (a diesel wetted cloth works better). make it squeaky clean. Then apply Grease and EP-90 oil generously. I somehow feel that oil retention is better with the grease on. I prefer to make a mix of grease and ep90 oil and then apply it. The thicker mix helps stay in the chain as the centrifugal force of the spinning sprokets tends to throw out the oil when in motion. Make sure you put grease/oil on the chain guide as well.

And dude you'll know what they mean by transmission losses when you compare the before and after effects. I was amazed with the results when I did this recently. I has just began blaming power1 for little loss of power and roughness and then i tried this. give it a shot bro and tell me what you think!

Also, see if you can fit the pulsar chain box on to your bike. I know its all about the show buddy but as far as the chain issues go, its worth every penny!

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 17th June 2010 at 12:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks