Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 07:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem

Please can I have your attention on this page too and help me out with some advise. The sooner the better it will be for me, as cash etc has to be arranged.
Old 24th May 2014, 08:56   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
The fact that the petrol lead had to be opened up to release the gas, was learnt in through trial and error methods.

Another problem is also there, water getting into the fuel tank. No matter what ever way you park you bike, water is bound to get into it.
To the fuel tank lid attached is a rubber gasket that doesn't allow water to enter the fuel tank when the bike is being washed or if parked in rain so please check that gasket and replace.

The other thing is that the fuel tank lid will have an overflow pipe line with the hole starting from the fuel filler ting, check that and see if it is blocked. That should send water out if it enters the enters via the lid.

Quote:
So what I have thought are the following :-

Complete engine replacement
New Electrical Wiring
New pair of shock-absorbers
New Seat.
Original Stickering
New Paint Job

So my dear friends, please can you advise what is the procedure to get original parts of this off - production motorcycle?
Looking at the above you are almost re-building the whole bike from scratch. IMO, better to sell the bike and get a new one as the parts mentioned by you would be difficult to source and if found can't be commented on reliability. Sorry to sound rude, Apologies.

But if you are determined in re-building then try contacting Bajaj for parts sourcing or tweet Rahul Bajaj for help.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 09:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
To the fuel tank lid attached is a rubber gasket that doesn't allow water to enter the fuel tank when the bike is being washed or if parked in rain so please check that gasket and replace.

The other thing is that the fuel tank lid will have an overflow pipe line with the hole starting from the fuel filler ting, check that and see if it is blocked. That should send water out if it enters the enters via the lid.

Looking at the above you are almost re-building the whole bike from scratch. IMO, better to sell the bike and get a new one as the parts mentioned by you would be difficult to source and if found can't be commented on reliability. Sorry to sound rude, Apologies.

But if you are determined in re-building then try contacting Bajaj for parts sourcing or tweet Rahul Bajaj for help.

Anurag.

Thank you Anurag for your inputs. Will it be possible for you to send me some snaps of the gasket in the fuel lid and the overflow pipe (point of origination). I am not sure if that has dropped off, but if I can get hold of some images, I can better be sure.

You are not the first one to suggest for a sell off and the answer as usual will be a resounding no. Reason being its attached emotionally. Yes, probably things will be difficult to procure, and probably will not be the original one as well. One of my freinds from the automobile industry has suggested for engine of new 150 DTSi, but you know, fingers crossed . But considering if I am able to get a brand new engine of the current 150DTSi, then what are the things should I be looking into? I doubt if it will be a direct fit to the exisitng chassis. Any major cuts and welding required that might compromise the structural integrity?

By the way, in order to get my Bullet I had to contact the CEO, so Bajaj probably will not be that difficult either. But I have doubts if the interest level will be same in two wheelers with respect to these two individuals. Nevertheless, he shall be the last try in my radar, if all possible solution fails.

Please advise some solution sir ji
Old 24th May 2014, 14:57   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you Anurag for your inputs. Will it be possible for you to send me some snaps of the gasket in the fuel lid and the overflow pipe (point of origination). I am not sure if that has dropped off, but if I can get hold of some images, I can better be sure.
Attaching pictures from my Karizma R that had the same issue of water entering the fuel tank in a 4 month bike. I had complained to Hero Honda so had got the fuel tank + Fuel lid replacement under warranty after which never faced the issue in 4 years.

The black gasket keeps the lid tight and prevents water from entering:
PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem-20140524_143428.jpg

PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem-20140524_143444.jpg

The hole you see on the left hand side is the overflow and IIRC the tank breather line too:
PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem-20140524_143420.jpg

Quote:
But considering if I am able to get a brand new engine of the current 150DTSi, then what are the things should I be looking into? I doubt if it will be a direct fit to the existing chassis. Any major cuts and welding required that might compromise the structural integrity?
Not worth playing with structural integrity as that is the major component of the vehicle that bears the maximum load after the chassis. IIRC the current 150 DTS-Si engine won't fit directly and will need some structural changes. IMO get hold of a service guy or a spares dealer in Pune and keep sourcing parts, once found all rebuild the engine with help of a known mechanic. I am sending you a PM, please check as it may help you.

Quote:
Nevertheless, he shall be the last try in my radar, if all possible solution fails.
Please let the radar find and send a signal to Rajiv Bajaj. He may help, no harm in trying.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 19:33   #20
BHPian

water in the tank is a common problem with pulsars. i had two P150s.
Is fact this problem occurs in all the bikes with hinged petrol tank lids.
the water gets in through the hinge.
Only solution for this is the cheap 20-30/- worth tank lid cover that we buy during monsoons. It is round transparent plastic cover with chain. remove the whole lid assembly using allen key.
i have it installed on my R15 (hinged tank lid :( ) all year round.
my zma and rtr don't need it.
motionfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 12:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
water in the tank is a common problem with pulsars. i had two P150s.
Is fact this problem occurs in all the bikes with hinged petrol tank lids.
the water gets in through the hinge.
Only solution for this is the cheap 20-30/- worth tank lid cover that we buy during monsoons. It is round transparent plastic cover with chain. remove the whole lid assembly using allen key.
i have it installed on my R15 (hinged tank lid :( ) all year round.
my zma and rtr don't need it.
Water entering the tank is not a common problem of you have the drain hole inside the tank lid unobstructed. Most of the time what happens is that the service center guys remove the drain pipe and never bother to put it back.

My pulsar is 6 years old and not even once I have had water in tank issue. Key is to ensure that the drain hole is clear
Old 25th May 2014, 13:51   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Most of the time what happens is that the service center guys remove the drain pipe and never bother to put it back.

Key is to ensure that the drain hole is clear
They do remove the drain pipe but don't check the hole properly for any dust/clogging to clean if found.

I keep checking every 1-2 months in the rainy season but the rest times it is 4-5 months. IIRC that is the tank breather route. Right?!

Anurag.
Old 27th May 2014, 21:33   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They do remove the drain pipe but don't check the hole properly for any dust/clogging to clean if found.

I keep checking every 1-2 months in the rainy season but the rest times it is 4-5 months. IIRC that is the tank breather route. Right?!

Anurag.
No this is not tank breather tube. This is just a drain pipe. Pulsar don't have tank breather tube like cars
Old 28th May 2014, 10:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

28th May 2014, my Pulsar completes 10 years. Happy Birthday to you. Thank you for being there with me always.

PULSAR DTSI 150 (2003)- unique problem-img_20140528_092846598_hdr001_ls.jpg
Old 28th May 2014, 12:03   #25
BANNED

Quote:
28th May 2014, my Pulsar completes 10 years. Happy Birthday to you. Thank you for being there with me always.
Congrats to you your Pulsar.

Any updates on the modifications part which you were thinking?

Anurag.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats to you your Pulsar.

Any updates on the modifications part which you were thinking?

Anurag.
Thank you Anurag. At the moment I am trying to get hold of the spare parts manual, so that i know the part numbers to order. I also plan to visit Shirish, if possible this weekend, to have his opinion.

I think Old Poona's Nanapeth area can help me out, but no idea about cost.

By any chance, can you please guide me to get a genuine spare parts manual for this 2004 Dtsi model.
Old 28th May 2014, 12:14   #27
BANNED

Quote:
By any chance, can you please guide me to get a genuine spare parts manual for this 2004 Dtsi model.
Check your inbox, will send you the spares list document. Not sure if that is relevant or no.

Anurag
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 18:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hello all,

I had a word with one of the spare parts supplier and his suggestion was to replace parts only that are required. Reason : I will not get all the parts even at Bajaj, unless its the common parts used in all motorcycles. So i have thought of the following.

I will explain my requirement and then after your suggestion, I will try to procure the required parts.

Pulsar misses its gears while in motion. Usually happens in 5th and 4th gear, wherein suddenly the gear slips to lower one. Like from 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd. What are the things I need to purchase? I want to get back the old pulsar sensation when it was brought.

I am also looking for new shock absorbers. Both front and rear. The rear spring ones are not available these days. Whats the best alternative? With regards to the front one, have been informed that its not possible. I did not get the meaning of the statement? Does it mean that front shock absorbers are not available at all?

Please advise, so that I can start procuring the parts, one by one. I cannot restore my Pulsar to its old glory without your help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks