Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2010, 19:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Auto launches new Discover 150 at Rs 46,000

NEW DELHI: Bajaj Auto launched a new 150cc variant of its Discover family of motorcycles. Launched with a tagline of “More Excitement per Litre”
the new bike is claimed to provide the rider with the best possible balance between power and fuel efficiency.
The new 150 cc DTS-i engine generates 13ps @ 7500 rpm and a maximum torque of 12.75 Nm @ 5500 rpm while meeting BS III emission norms. The claimed fuel-efficiency is 65 kmpl. The bike transfers its power to the rear wheel through a 5-speed gearbox. Other standard features include electric start, Nitrox suspension, disc brake and wider rear tyres. The new bike has been competitively priced at Rs 46,000 (ex-showroom, Delhi) and will be launched across the country in phases.
Discover is already a high-selling brand for Bajaj with Discover 100’s sales averaging 75,000 units per month. For the year 2010-11, Bajaj is aiming at total sales of 40,00,000 units of which motorcycles are expected to account for 36,00,000 units. Most of the sales for the motorcycle segment would come from the Discover and Pulsar range.

Source - Bajaj Auto launches new Discover 150 at Rs 46,000-Two-wheelers-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Though I'm not a fan of Bajaj only because of the lack of quality in their motorcycle ranges, the company as such impress me a lot. A few days back I was speaking with a automobile spare parts dealer & he was cursing Bajaj for launching so many variants & models in a short span of time. He was cribbing that Pulsar 150 alone has about 3-4 variants, apart from that the Discover family & the Platina. Each of them has a few unique spares & he had to stock them up irrespective of the sales to retain his customers. While he's right on that aspect, to me, Bajaj's innovation is setting a standard in the Indian market & in a way they're the leaders.

Last edited by aargee : 10th May 2010 at 19:35.
Old 10th May 2010, 19:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

As much as I like Bajaj, I genuinely think it is confusing even informed buyers. Though the price is good, (cheapest 150 cc bike around?), why go for this when you get the Pulsar 135 which is IMHO better looking.

Quote:
The new 150 cc DTS-i engine generates 13ps @ 7500 rpm and a maximum torque of 12.75 Nm @ 5500 rpm while meeting BS III emission norms
Just BS3 ? Not for sale in cities ?
Old 10th May 2010, 21:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

Awww I was sincerely hoping we would get more 4 valves/cyl Bajajs in the future.

Bajaj is trying to do a Maruti in the bike segment.
Old 10th May 2010, 21:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj is creating a lot of confusion for customers with their range of bikes. Starting from Platina100,125, Disco 100, 125, 135, XCD125, 135, Pulsar 135, 150, 180, 220 S/F and now Disco 150. The above are just some models which i recall of which some are already shelved!!

Bajaj as a bike maker is very good. Its the SVC guys who mess around and spoil a truly good bike. But yes they have to improve a lot in the Quality Dept.

Edit: EssYouWe, you stole my thoughts about the Maruti in the bike segment
Old 10th May 2010, 23:23   #5
BHPian

@sajo, @EssYouWe, @abhinav.s, these BAJAJ guys are really good in every possible R&D to give every possible permutation & combination results! What say?

@aargee, a bit OT here but needed to clarify one point here!

My experience with BAJAJ
I am riding a P150 UG2 (the upgrade 2, the latest being UG4) from past 5 years, the performance of the bike is the best. I have changed the timing chain, sprocket, rocker arm at 35k on the odo, as I wasn't happy with the sound it was creating. It had a couple of falls (courtesy, my brother) at slower speeds, but manages with no structural damage (only broken headlamp unit).

I haven't seen any bad quality parts in the bike & yes you are right about what you have heard about hunting the right spare to the right variant, even I have been hunting for the fuel meter (dial / analog type) from past one year (since the workshop boy took it for a crash test :-( once, when I left it for regular periodic service), but never found yet!

I have been servicing it completely from past 10k kms myself after the garage guys gave the stupid present. Now 51k+ kms it is still running so strong that I have practicing for an endurance rally in this very bike. Almost from past 8k kms, I have abused it over bad village roads, speed breakers, gravel road, etc, but it has only given my much more confidence on my riding & itself!

I am sure that this Discover 150 too gives a good VFM with all the latest technological advancements. It would provide a lighter bike with a bigger engine, lower costs & better efficiency.

Way to go BAJAJ! But please make sure you derive & stock enough spares for the much later, after-sales-experience!

Last edited by tantragna : 10th May 2010 at 23:24.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post

Way to go BAJAJ! But please make sure you derive & stock enough spares for the much later, after-sales-experience!
This is one good piece of advice for Bajaj owners

Coming to the Discover 150, I doubt they would get the weight distribution right. Though it might be light overall, the power is quite low as per the article at 13PS.

Bajaj is known to make front heavy bikes and i hope they make an exception with the Disco150.
Old 11th May 2010, 14:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
This is one good piece of advice for Bajaj owners

Coming to the Discover 150, I doubt they would get the weight distribution right. Though it might be light overall, the power is quite low as per the article at 13PS.

Bajaj is known to make front heavy bikes and i hope they make an exception with the Disco150.
The observation in BOLD, that's the differentiating factor from other bikes, sort of addictive feature (alongwith the fat fuel tank) that lends uniqueness to the bike. I have owned a P150 for almost 4 years & over 50K kms, & I can vouch that the front heaviness may render it less imbalanced as compared to Apache, but I have no doubt that it is better than the rest.

Please note that I have owned a Splendor & my brother has Fiero F2. Apart from this this I have extensively driven CBZ, ZMA & RE bikes (courtesy my close friends & cousins). Only the TVS bikes felt balanced when compared to Pulsar. In fact, at times in slow moving traffic I usually do not plant my feet on the road to balance the bike, & I am confident of taking corners at 70 kmph (that's my limit in Delhi's office hours).

Yes with the D150 will have a different handling trait, & it will be more of a commuter bike rather than the sporty bike.

But, I am disappointed with Bajaj's product strategy which seems a mere copy of HH (company with no R&D) & as such with the new bike . Atleast they could have launched the 4-valve version in P150. Moreover, as everyone has said, Pulsars' design has become old & needs freshness.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:15   #8
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Auto launches new Discover 150 at Rs 46,000

Guys just got myself a Discover 150. Wanted a unicorn, but put off by waiting period of 60 days (Haiku Honda, Dhruvdesh etc) and the attitude of the sales guys. Read some reviews - where else, but here and decided to go for the 150.
Details and comments :
Price : 57.6k on road - No freebies from Amba Bajaj
delivery time : Same day - No number though, driving with temp reg.

read that the seat is pretty hard. Yes u will have a numb posterior after around 25 km of driving (i drive around 50 km each day and have been using my Alto for the past 3 yrs for this drive) - So what did i do, went to the neighbourhood seat cover guy and got a 2 inch cushion fitted onto the seat. working well now

Came to office in 20 min - used to take me 1 hr at the minimum in my car.
Still in the run-in period so will post details once i reach some milestone - 500km
Old 20th January 2011, 13:05   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the new bike. The Discover is a great bike. I bought the very first version of the Discover 125 in 2004. It has covered around 38K kms till date and has been serving me quite well without any troubles. And it had the self start at a time when that feature was restricted to high-end bikes. No one provides as much VFM as bajaj bikes in India.
Old 20th January 2011, 14:40   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Congrats on the new bike. The Discover is a great bike. I bought the very first version of the Discover 125 in 2004. It has covered around 38K kms till date and has been serving me quite well without any troubles. And it had the self start at a time when that feature was restricted to high-end bikes. No one provides as much VFM as bajaj bikes in India.
Thanks Newpunter

One query though. Today morning i tried to start the bike and it just wouldn't even after 15 kicks. Then I had to push start it. After a few moments of idling the engine had some consistency. Is it a cold start issue and how to avoid it since the bike comes with auto-choke. (I do not use the self start for early morning starting)
Old 20th January 2011, 14:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.mishra View Post
Thanks Newpunter

One query though. Today morning i tried to start the bike and it just wouldn't even after 15 kicks. Then I had to push start it. After a few moments of idling the engine had some consistency. Is it a cold start issue and how to avoid it since the bike comes with auto-choke. (I do not use the self start for early morning starting)
Congrats, I recently completed 2nd service of my Disco 150cc. I rarely use kick start. I use auto start in mornings and it works in a single push of button.
Old 20th January 2011, 15:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Congrats, I recently completed 2nd service of my Disco 150cc. I rarely use kick start. I use auto start in mornings and it works in a single push of button.
Thanks Arsudarsan.

I see a red battery indicator status when i switch on the ignition. does it mean low battery. Could that be the culprit.. or do i need to take it to the dealer
Old 20th January 2011, 17:32   #13
BHPian

Since you have said that you used the kick start, i doubt it is a battery issue. Better take it to the dealer to get it checked.
Old 20th January 2011, 18:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.mishra View Post
Thanks Arsudarsan.

I see a red battery indicator status when i switch on the ignition. does it mean low battery. Could that be the culprit.. or do i need to take it to the dealer
It is normal to see a red battery status. It is just to show that the electricals are being powered from battery. I had asked this the day I took delivery to the dealer. It still appears on my bike every day and I find no issues.
Old 21st January 2011, 15:30   #15
BHPian

Thanks Arsudarsan for the info. Took my vehicle to the dealer and works fine now. What is the mileage that you get on your bike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks