Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Bullet Electra - UCE or CI?

I've been considering acquiring a bullet ever since the Electra 5S came on the scene with the LHS gear shift. My experience with motorbikes is limited to Jawas and Yezdis before I graduated to 4-wheels in a hurry. So I won't be comparing the bullet with the Jap brigade

A cousin went out of station for a while and left his T-Bird TBTS in my care. I was kinda reluctant to take the beast out at first - it is huge and heavy and I am only 5' 6" & 65 kgs. But I am enjoying the early morning drives now.

But the T-Bird styling doesn't appeal to me much, I am more attracted towards the Electra. I can buy a UCE new, or get a barely used (~2500 km) 2009 CI for about Rs 90K.

CI
I like the velvetty thump, torque.
But I am scared of the maintenance woes and the "You don't own a bullet, the bullet owns you" rhetoric. The Yezdi was and still is a relatively low maintenance bike.

UCE
I like the improved reliability and fuel economy.
Don't like the engine clatter and really miss the trademark "bullet" thump.

I am not a commuter, I drive bikes only as a weekend pleasure. So want to avoid spending too much on a new bike that I won't use much. On the other hand, I am wary of going with a CI Bullet that demands constant attention which I won't be able to give.

Any advice from the gurus? or maybe I should wait for the UCE Electras to hit the second hand market in a year or so.

Thanks,
Teja
Old 18th August 2010, 00:35   #2
BHPian

If you buy a 2009 CI, it is pretty much as reliable as a UCE. BUt IMO the CI you have mentioned above seems very expensive at 90K.

Why is the owner selling it at around 2500 kms?

Also, are you planning to take a loan to buy the bike? If yes, then a personal loan interest rate would be much more than a 2 wheeler loan.
Old 18th August 2010, 08:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

CI Pros:
- Great sound
- Great support
- Old world charm

UCE Pros:
- Higher reliability and low maintenance requirements*

*When I say low maintenance requirements, I do not mean to call it a fill it and shut it bike. You will have to devote time to it, just that the time can be in at your home in stead of the workshop.

PS: I agree with Rahul. 90k is too high. But then all CIs are selling at a premium these days.
Old 18th August 2010, 12:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrahul_2778 View Post
If you buy a 2009 CI, it is pretty much as reliable as a UCE. BUt IMO the CI you have mentioned above seems very expensive at 90K. Why is the owner selling it at around 2500 kms?

Also, are you planning to take a loan to buy the bike? If yes, then a personal loan interest rate would be much more than a 2 wheeler loan.
The owner has gone overseas on an assignment - this is from the middleman, I haven't spoken to the owner's family. I agree the price is too high, I asked the middleman if they would consider an offer for 75K but he was not sure. He said he would give me their phone number this week.... lets see. There are a couple of Electra 4S available in my area for about 50-60K, but I don't want the RHS gearing.

And no, no loan for buying the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
CI Pros:
- Great sound
- Great support
- Old world charm

UCE Pros:
- Higher reliability and low maintenance requirements*
Yep, support is easily available in any town for the CI engine. The UCE is a relatively new tech and not many mechs are familiar with it yet.

I am trying to get a CI loaner through a mechanic friend. I have experienced the UCE (on the TBTS) for over two months and am somewhat acquainted with it. If I can spend a couple of months with the CI, then I can probably make a better decision regarding which one is more suited for me.

Thanks for you help.

Cheers
Teja
Old 18th August 2010, 13:27   #5
BHPian

@EssYouWee : CI Bull can be easily handled at your home, i do the same. MY visits to the workshop is rare now. The basic idea is to have a lookout if the things might go wrong. If you have a sharp eye on things you can easily point out what might go wrong before anything goes wrong. CI is a charm to ride if tuned and maintained correctly. the misconception that CI is hard to maintain and keep good is nothing.

I would highly recommed the UCE bike, just for the sake of support that is there. CI can be a pain, but so can the UCE
Old 18th August 2010, 13:58   #6
BHPian

I have a Bullet Electra (CI) 5S electric start of 2006 model. Till now i have done around 35k on odo.

For me it will be a CI any day. Regular oil change keeps my BULL ok till now.
Didnt face any issue till now. maintenance is normal, same as any other bike.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
@EssYouWee : CI Bull can be easily handled at your home, i do the same. MY visits to the workshop is rare now. The basic idea is to have a lookout if the things might go wrong. If you have a sharp eye on things you can easily point out what might go wrong before anything goes wrong. CI is a charm to ride if tuned and maintained correctly. the misconception that CI is hard to maintain and keep good is nothing.

I would highly recommed the UCE bike, just for the sake of support that is there. CI can be a pain, but so can the UCE

Agreed! If maintained well, no bike troubles too much apart from the UCE 500.

But the OP wants a slightly relaxed experience, one where not a lot of time is spent maintaining the bike.

PS: Where is the C5?
Old 19th August 2010, 03:49   #8
BHPian

The C5 will be delivered in NOV 1st week :( ! someone says that Mach500 might be launched during the same time !

PS : How is your Bull running ?
Old 19th August 2010, 15:10   #9
BHPian

Thanks - took a decision.

I decided to go for a well maintained and reasonably priced Electra 5S (CIE) - maybe 2007 or so model priced around 70K.... if I can find one. Reason - after some self-searching I realized that the one thing I like most in a bullet (after its classic looks) is the thump.

If I do not get along with the CI, I can always sell it off quickly (there seems to be quite a bit of demand). UCE is available readily, so I can get that anytime I want.

Thanks for helping.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:21   #10
BHPian

You have taken the right decision.
The UCE cannot just match the old world charm and thump of the CI engines.
Do your bit of preventive maintenance , have an eye on the oil levels and don't push it too hard. Things will just be fine.
I am bullet (standard 350) owner from 2002. I had a chance recently to ride the UCE Electra. The engine clatters like hell and is not at all smooth when compared to the old CI engines.
Mileage, top-end and the left side 5 speed gear box are the only advantages, I would say. But the latter is abundant in every bike sold here.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great choice.

Hope you find one soon.

Do keep us posted with how the search goes.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
I agree the price is too high, I asked the middleman if they would consider an offer for 75K but he was not sure. He said he would give me their phone number this week.... lets see.
I finally got the contact number and called them.
The owner is still here, he is leaving country in September.
So here are the details:

Year: March 2010 (not 2009) - only 5 months old
Model: Electra 5S (yes, with a CI engine) - maybe one of the last batches??
Color: Silver
Odo: 1800 km (not 2500 km).
Options: Electric start and front disc brake.
Asking price was Rs 90,000.

Bad news -- Bike got sold on Tuesday :(

Ah well... back to the search.
Old 27th August 2010, 06:52   #13
BHPian

Really bad news. A nice deal is missed.
Old 27th August 2010, 08:53   #14
BHPian

You missed it buddy, shouldn't have thought too much. Hope you get better bike

Can anyone tell me, why is there so much clatter noise in AVLs? What can we do to reduce it?

Last edited by bblost : 27th August 2010 at 14:36. Reason: back 2 back posts. Please use edit if posting within 20 mins. Thanks
Old 27th August 2010, 14:37   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post

Can anyone tell me, why is there so much clatter noise in AVLs?
Tappets

Quote:
What can we do to reduce it?
Get a nice helmet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks