Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 11:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why the Pulsar 135 isn't being considered. Personally, if I had to choose a Pulsar, it would be either the 135 or the 220. The rest don't really have a differentiating factor.

You could look at the new Unicorn (forgetting its name), it should be an easy rider.

But hey! If you like the Avenger, just pick it up!
Old 12th September 2010, 16:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I wonder why the Pulsar 135 isn't being considered. Personally, if I had to choose a Pulsar, it would be either the 135 or the 220. The rest don't really have a differentiating factor.
Strongly agreed; I almost forgot suggesting the LS which is way too better than P150. I even heard that the 4 valves LS beats the top speed of P150 on road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
You could look at the new Unicorn (forgetting its name), it should be an easy rider.
Yes, I'd suggested this. Its a butter smooth engine.

What I didn't understand is why the comparison of P150, RTR & Avenger while the budget is only 70K. Can one feel like God for 70K? I thought its more expensive.
Old 12th September 2010, 19:24   #18
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies !

Am willing to stretch my budget to 80K and easily the 220 avenger falls into it.

I also have my eyes on the 135 LS and Unicorn Dazzler.

I thought the alternative to 160 RTR ,from Bajaj, is the 150 Pulsar hence the confusion and its inclusion here.

Between 135 LS and Dazzler, I think Unicorn is more forgiving and allows for less back pain on extended drives. Even tough Avenger is one of my dream machines , people told me it can get difficult to drive in the city's traffic.
Old 13th September 2010, 09:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

You may read about Avenger's impressions over here--
Road Test Review: 2011 Bajaj Avenger 220 DTS-i

I would pick a Honda Dazzler for you.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
P-220 is as comfortable & so is R15,
Karizma is preferred because of its 18" wheels & refined engine, everywhere else it gets triumphed.
Maybe for you, but majority say otherwise. P220 agreed to some extent, but high speed cruising is more tiring. Just have a look at few R15 communities as to how many of them complain of wrist and shoulder pain.

Quote:
Next time tweak your handle-bar up or down by a mm or two, ride long & hard, lets see your opinions then.
I have, already and my opinions remain the same.

Quote:
What would you do if a d0g runs while cornering? not brake at all?
What are you trying to convey here? Seems of no value to me. Please re-read my previous comment on straight line stability.

Quote:
Does importing them make any good & all the testers complained equally about IRC's.
Don't know if importing makes IRC better, but the fact is they are arguably the best along with Michelin.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 13th September 2010 at 13:32. Reason: Corrected error
Old 13th September 2010, 13:35   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Maybe for you, but majority say otherwise. P220 agreed to some extent, but high speed cruising is more tiring.
Have you ridden them back to back to comment upon?

Quote:
What are you trying to convey here? Seems of no value to me. Please re-read my previous comment on straight line stability.
You don't always brake in a straight-line, circumstances force otherwise.

Quote:
First you said you vote for IRC. Now you contradict yourself. What's going on?

Don't know if importing makes IRC better, but the fact is they are arguably the best along with Michelin.
Let them first be better than stock MRF's on a P-220.
and yes, where did I contradict myself?
I said TVS tires aren't good and nor are IRC's, a change of tires for both will do good.

Quote:
You mean to say a RTR-160 isn't as good as a P-150 in a straight-line & that too because of its wheel-base?
Quote:
waiting for your reply of the above question.
Still waiting...
Old 13th September 2010, 13:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have you ridden them back to back to comment upon?
Yes.

Quote:
You don't always brake in a straight-line, circumstances force otherwise.
Obviously. And that's when the rubber plays the most important part.

Quote:
Still waiting...
I thought I already answered. Shorter wheelbase + bad stock tires. Nothing else. Please note that am not talking about the A180 here.
Old 13th September 2010, 13:58   #23
BHPian

Rtr180

1)If you want a 45+ average you cant go for bigger bikes like ZMA or 220.
2)If you want comfort due to seating position look no further than Unciorn.(In the 150cc class).
3)If you want good acceleration(pick-up) and good cornering abilitities look no further than RTR160.
4)Dont get bogged down by TVS Tires-They can be replaced for a nominal amount so dont let just the tyres influence your decision.
5)Apache has a sporty riding position,does that mean that Pulsar150 is having a commuterish riding position?Except Unicorn and GS150 no other bike in 150cc+ has commuterish position (including the favourite ZMA). So you will have to bend your back in all other bikes to less or more extent. I have just driven my RTR180 to ladakh and didnot find any pain in my back.Initially you will feel so but soon get adjusted to it.Trust me I too had the same dilemma before purchasing.
5)Bike used fully for touring: Karizma then Unicorn or some Enfield.
Bike used occasionally for touring:Apache series bike.
6)Reliability: I did always vouch for TVS over Bajaj bikes. I have used TVS Victor for 7+ years and never had issues with parts. Only part I replaced recently was the rear wheel bearing bcoz I love a bit offroading.Still going strong.Somehow bajaj bikes loose in the long run. I had no issues with my badly run-in RTR180 during my Leh trip.
7)TVS tires are bad in wet conditions but Ok in dry conditions.
8)Dont go for FI-Infact why do you want to go for one?Carb ones have better acceleration and more simple to service.
9)RTR180 gives between 40-45 kms/litre.
10)Vibrations are annoying but they are not as huge as many people exaggerate here.You can live with the vibrations given the acceleration and fuel efficiency figures you get from the bike.
11)I never felt straight line stability of Apache 160 was less than Pulsar 150.
12)If you intend to use your bike mostly for offroading then dont go for any bike which has even bit a tinge of sporty riding posture.You will complain of wrist pain during offroading as due to the bent body posture your whole weight of body is transfered onto your wrists.
13)You dont need a smooth engine for city commuting or occasional weekend trips but you require Power and flickability in city. But for long touring trips which you often take your bike then smoothness becomes more important.
14)Stay away from Avenger its a pain on bad Indian roads.
15)Rear disc brake of Apache has purposefully been made soft so that we dont lock our rear wheels easily during panick breaking.I hope this explains the uselessness someone has mentioned.
16)Suspension of RTR180 is good especially when in the soft setting.Alloys are also strong.I jumped over a big stone kept in the middle of road during Srinagar demonstrations.I was in the air at least 2 feet off the ground but no impact on the alloys.
@sheel I suppose Apache 160 now comes with 17" alloys on both front and rear not like the earlier ones.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:21   #24
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys !

I seem to have made my decision:

1.Reserve Avenger-like bike for the future.
2.Bajaj 135 LS is out for 2 reasons
a.Friends who HAVE a pulsar say its not as good as TVS/HONDA on a long run(the bike does not seem to keep itself intact ?).
b.When I showed the 135LS to my mom, her reaction was "I see a lot of these on the roads(other pulsars included), Are you sure you want this?"

3. Now its CB unicorn Dazzler vs Apache Carb 160 RTR.

Apache RTR 160 (Carb) seems fine to me.

Stay tuned for a initial ownership (P)review !

cheers
Ashwanth
Old 13th September 2010, 14:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwanth View Post
3. Now its CB unicorn Dazzler vs Apache Carb 160 RTR.

Congrats Ashwanth; but just remember that HHMSI's quality is way better than TVS. Though I like RTR & Unicorn (that leaves me to confusion too), I would suggest to take a FI than a carb version. Not sure why you made a decision with carb model. Any specific reason to share with us?
Old 13th September 2010, 14:24   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I thought I already answered. Shorter wheelbase + bad stock tires. Nothing else. Please note that am not talking about the A180 here.
P-135LS won't have a good straight stability compared to P-150?

@amit--

Rim size (Front) 1.85 x 17”
Rim size (Rear) 2.15 x 18”
Tyre size (Front) 90/90 x 17”
Tyre size (Rear) 100/80 x 18”

TVS Motor
Old 13th September 2010, 14:25   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwanth View Post
Thanks a lot guys !
Just completed reading the thread and the interesting discussion on straight line stability et al and i see this.

Good choice if you do wish to go with RTR160 Carb. It will serve you very well in the city and also on the occasional highway rides. I have done 2 rides, each of 200 kms round trip, on the RTR160 and have not felt any discomfort etc. Of course you need to keep the bike above 6k rpm on the high way rides and you wont feel any vibrations.

Waiting for your (P)review
Old 13th September 2010, 14:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
but just remember that HHMSI's quality is way better than TVS.
Exactly. Even with Bajaj & TVS, i don't see a reason why one should be better than the other in terms of quality.

Quote:
Though I like RTR & Unicorn (that leaves me to confusion too), I would suggest to take a FI than a carb version. Not sure why you made a decision with carb model. Any specific reason to share with us?
If it's the Apache RTR, I would have chosen the Fi version.

Among the Apache and the Dazzler, my personal choice will be the Dazzler anyday.
Old 13th September 2010, 14:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
remember that HHMSI's quality is way better than TVS. Though I like RTR & Unicorn (that leaves me to confusion too), I would suggest to take a FI than a carb version. Not sure why you made a decision with carb model. Any specific reason to share with us?
Yes, HMSI's quality and service is too good. TVS service is good(at Ramkay , 300 m from my home) but quality and engine refinement is a tad less than the Honda.

Carb for simplicity and easy servicing. My conservative style of driving will return good mileage with a non-FI vehicle (tough I dont drive as bad as a sleeveless aunty on a scooty !! No offense to anyone). Also, found out 160 EFI is costlier than the 180 RTR !
Old 13th September 2010, 14:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ashwanth!

Just curious, why didn't you consider FZ16, Hunk and CBZ Xtreme?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks