Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 14:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ramki,
Go ahead with your plans closing your eyes. Even after 5 years there will no problems on your pocket. As everyone have said, even I have a pulsar 150cc-2005 model and it has run 68K kms. Till date I have just invested in service and oil change for every 2500 kms and till now have changed tyres once and front disc once and some brake shoes. Till date it is giving me healthy 56-58KMPL. I have done several 350kms trip in one day with just 2 stops and it will not let you down. Maybe it has become common on the roads but that means everyone are liking it. So it is your choice now. happy buying

Last edited by shishir_bn : 29th September 2010 at 14:34.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:40   #17
BHPian

Thanks guys. Will check out test riding the Pulsar 150 DTSi UG 4.5 first and if that has a sporty stance which i cannot handle for daily drives then i shall surely test drive Unicorn and then take a call.

One last Q. Comparing Pulsar spare parts and Unicorns' , which is cheapest and more on quality?

Again, thanks very much guys for all your inputs. Pleasure to have all these suggestions.

Thanks for all on this tread,
Ramki
Old 29th September 2010, 14:54   #18
BHPian

The unicorn spares are AFAIK more costly but are for sure of much better quality.
The P150 has a more sporty stance but it is rideable everyday. If you do think of even test riding a Pulsar, test the 180 first, its seats are a little more sporty but the rest of the feel is more of less the same, but its much better in all other ways.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ramki

I suggest you go for the any bike other than the Pulsar, because of the sporty stance (seating). My bet will be the Honda Dazzler or Fazer for you.

Regarding the other issues (negatives) that few forum members have mentioned are not digestable to me.

e.g-
When one says that bike is not comfortable for pillion riders for medium & long distances, I beg to disagree. This is because when staying in North Delhi, I have travelled with my father, wife, sister & sister-in-law (on different occassions) to Noida, Ghaziabad, Faridabad, etc (all taking over 1-1.5 hours on roads) & none has complained about the discomfort. In fact, my sister recommended the bike to my brother (though he bought the RETB instead). The Unicorn's ride quality is no better with monoshock suspension (which is advanced, but, no properly implemented by Honda for indian conditons).
Furter, when one comlains about the platic quality, do also compare the plastic quality of HH & Honda in long run. I had a Spelndor during my stay in South Delhi (best rods in Delh) & yet the bike's panels (bumper, visor, etc.) had developed cracks within 50K kms & the same is yet to happen with my 60k kms (4 years old) P150 despite few nasty falls on busy Delhi roads (same case with my brother's TVS).
In addition to what other claim the superior quality of engine & its parts that lasts longer, there are a couple of forum members experiencing problems with Unicorn engine around 50K kms (I bet there would be many more in this category). This happened with me at 58K kms. So, where is the difference, if Indians (Bajaj & TVS) are not better.
Regardingth A.S.S. I reckon these are good for 100-125cc commuter bikes only & for 150cc sporty bikes, it is beter you go to good mechanic. The A.S.S. generally fill 100cc engine oils in al bikes despite what is recommended by the company (they make money by selling cheaper oil). They do more damage to your sporty bike rather than maintainng the bike.
Add to this, with th Honda & Hero Motors break-up on the anvil, would it be sounddecision to buy the CBZ-Extreme/ Hunk / ZMA.
I respect the quality parts of Yamaha Motors, & I can recommend these bikes to you. Only grudge would be th low mileage (mileage kya hai bhai??!!) because if the wider tyres.

Sorry for bringing Bajaj+TVS vrs HH/honda debate into picture, but can't resist when other post not completely corrret pictures about Bajaj quality.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
The unicorn spares are AFAIK more costly but are for sure of much better quality.
The P150 has a more sporty stance but it is rideable everyday. If you do think of even test riding a Pulsar, test the 180 first, its seats are a little more sporty but the rest of the feel is more of less the same, but its much better in all other ways.

Hey mate no offense but pulsar's rear suspension is miles ahead of unicorn's monoshock in terms of comfort. Also GS has 2 valves only. I own one. I agree with you, honda parts are costlier.

@ Ramki GS150 is a worthy suggestion, it is cheapest of all 150s (yes cheaper than even pulsar) and it has refinement and quality comparable to honda or yamaha. You can find reviews of GS on this forum itself.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:10   #21
BHPian

I own two P150s
P150 is like jack of all and master of none.
150cc class
Best comfort : Honda Unicorn Suzuki G150
Best look : Suzuki GS 150
Best KMPL : Unicorn and GS150
Best resale value : Honda Unicorn
Best performance : GS 150 ( and Apache RTR 160 cc)

If I was in market for a 150cc commuter friendly bike, I would go for Suzuki GS150 ( for performance P180)
take a test drive

Last edited by motionfreak : 30th September 2010 at 20:12.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Go for Pulsar 180 man ... Its a too good bike. Perfect combo of performance & economy. I am using one for last 3 years now. Till now no issues at all. No money spent over it apart from servicing. (Punctures cost me more than 500 though replaced tube once but its not a bikes problem. Roads in pune are bad)

Till date its a really fast bike & i dont feel i need more power to it. Its really cool & handling is also very good. Reliability is also very high. Go for it ...
Old 1st October 2010, 12:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

It seems from the posts here that the post DTSi V2 Pulsar's arent as commuter friendly as their predecessors , regards riding posture & FE. In that case, you should consider the Unicorn.
Old 1st October 2010, 12:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

I own one for 3 years and here are my comments.

(+)ves
  • VFM
  • Fun to ride
  • Great combo of FE and power
  • Comfy ride
  • Easy on the pocket to maintain
  • Feature rich
(-)ves
  • Bad A.S.S
  • Lack of low end torque when compared with the Hondas
  • Few quality lapses, but i see that Bajaj has improved considerably with the UG4.5
Old 1st October 2010, 14:23   #25
BHPian

Thanks guys for your esteemed suggestions. I'm sure now to book a PULSAR.

Will there be any offers usually on cards during Diwali time as i plan to book at that time?

Thanks,
Ramki
Old 1st October 2010, 21:18   #26
BHPian

Pulsar now has some crap EUROGRIP tyre :(

Hi guys,

I'm deeply disappointed with Bajaj. Tried out my cousins' Pulsar 150 bought a month ago. Now that Bajaj have started giving EUROGRIP tyres instead of MRF Zappers for both front and back and heard from him that it skids like hell (the point i considered not to have in my next bike).

Regards,
Ramki
Old 1st October 2010, 21:31   #27
BHPian

If they give no option, you could sell the tyres off and get a new set after you buy.
Also as I said earlier, I would strongly suggest the P180 if you dont mind the split seat.
Old 1st October 2010, 21:38   #28
BHPian

Yeah Abhay i thought of considering P180 but to my shock it doesn't even have a Kick start at all. What if the battery goes dead in the middle of the nowhere. I know the battery will not be dead soon but consider the above situation i mentioned, hmm.
Old 1st October 2010, 22:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm deeply disappointed with Bajaj. Tried out my cousins' Pulsar 150 bought a month ago. Now that Bajaj have started giving EUROGRIP tyres instead of MRF Zappers for both front and back and heard from him that it skids like hell (the point i considered not to have in my next bike).

Regards,
Ramki

Tell me about it. Those Euro Grips are the worst nightmare a rider can have. The bloody tires skid even at 40kmph under moderately wet conditions. Braking ability? What braking ability? It only has skidding ability
I nearly side swiped a Zen on one occasion and was run over on another occasion. And those tires don't even wear out fast. !0K clicks on the odo and the tires look new!!
Old 1st October 2010, 22:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi guys,

Regards,
Ramki
OMG. Calm down. A brand may have 'n' suppliers. Choose a bike shod with MRF's. Pulsars come with MRF/Eurogrip/IRC/Dunlop BTW.

And for the record, Eurogrips do suck, to the core. They are re-branded TVS Srichakras.

Quote:
Yeah Abhay i thought of considering P180 but to my shock it doesn't even have a Kick start at all. What if the battery goes dead in the middle of the nowhere. I know the battery will not be dead soon but consider the above situation i mentioned, hmm.
Simple. Push start.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 1st October 2010 at 22:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks