Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 18:12   #1
BHPian

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped

Hello friends,

I must confess that I got infatuated by Royal Enfield Cast Iron Bullets after reading a lot on this forum. God knows what happened - I think infatuation is the right word. I talked to one of my Bulleteer friend about the CI ones - he straight away told me to fetch the one around 1970. I went to the Bullet dealer and LO! there it was - 1967 G2 model, engine made in England, in running condition for SALE! price Rs.28,000/-

It was just plain black colour normal standard Bullet in 'thaki - hari' condition, by looking at the bullet one could make out the the owner is not able / interested in maintaining the same. With slight haggle - the deal was struck at Rs. 26,500/- I just GRABBED it!!!

Now, came the revamping part. Researched & researched on team-bhp & other sites, visited bullet part dealer websites. Got lot of material from New Delhi - sent locally parts for Chrome and body colour in dark Army Green.

Recently it has arrived and I am doing my test driving part. The dealer, who also does the bullet repairing job, helped me a lot in all this. It is just FANTASTIC! I have already driven about 300+ KMs. Mostly I would be driving Bullet for pleasure on Weekends - 'shaukiya'.

After, 18 years I have driven a Two Wheeler - my dorment-teen age dream of owning a Bullet revived because of reading nostalgic reviews of Cast Iron Bulletts on team-bhp. Now, I am a happy & proud owner of Cast Iron Bullet - DAG DAG DAG DAG DAG DAD DAG

I think I am not permitted to post pictures as i am comparatively a new bhpian here. I request moderators to kindly permit me so that I can post the same.

Thanks & regards

Devrishi

If you want peace, prepare for war.
Old 8th October 2010, 19:01   #2
BHPian

@Devrishi, congrats on being a T-bhpian and your latest Acquisition, the CI Bullet.

You can post pictures from your very first post. Check out the following: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

As a rule, your first 25 posts will be subject to moderator approval.

Happy biking!
Old 8th October 2010, 20:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Dev Jee. i am still waiting to get done up a 60's bullet
Old 8th October 2010, 21:13   #4
BHPian

Congrats dev ji. I am eagerly waiting for the pics.
Old 9th October 2010, 02:01   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the bull. I must say you got a sweet deal. Do share the pics.
Till then enjoy thumping.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:28   #6
BHPian

Pictures

Thank you so much....

Here are the pictures, I hope you will like it :
Attached Thumbnails
'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_01.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_02.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_03.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_04.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_05.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_06.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_07.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_08.jpg  

'Rara Avis' - 1967 Model - G2 Engine Bullet - Revamped-re1967_09.jpg  

Devrishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2010, 12:17   #7
BHPian

Devrishi, your hard work shows on the bike. Many congratulations on your find and successful restoration of this timeless ride............enjoy it !
Old 9th October 2010, 14:11   #8
BHPian

@Devrishi, that's one beautifully restored Bullet.

Just change the trafficators (indicators) with like the one on the new Classic 350. The present ones do not gel with the retro look of the Bike.
Old 9th October 2010, 15:42   #9
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2010 at 10:23.
ricky_1605 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th October 2010, 15:06   #10
BHPian

Is it just me or this bull looks like a mix and match of generations ?
Devrishi, did you actually try to restore this to an original condition, or just chose parts of your liking ?
The rear box type(are they called so ?) fenders in chrome belong to the Deluxe. I think so does the front fender. And just my opinion -- chrome fenders look good only with a tank with a li'l bit of chrome in it.
And I think the tool boxes were flat in that era.

I think this is how a properly restored one should look..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1346571

Just comments brother, no offence please. To each his own...
A rare find, and at a smart price. You are a lucky man. Congrats.

Last edited by ashokrajagopal : 10th October 2010 at 15:10.
Old 10th October 2010, 15:08   #11
BHPian

Thank you so much for your appreciation friends. I am planning to do the following - left over jobs:

1. Indicators - I will definitly look into new Classic 350 as suggested by KA18.
2. Leg Guard - I want to put the old, heavy one - typical Bullet 'Air fly' design - I will have to get it from Delhi.
3. Want to change certain nut-bolts to brass ones i got from Delhi - but this will be at the time of first oil change.
4. Sometime later, I do wish to change the hubs to the older ones.

I think the above modifications will give a complete retro look.

Any suggestions in enhancing the retro look are welcome. I know guys here are well informed about this bike. Any major thing that i am missing.

Bike runs very smooth & i am very happy with it.

Thanks & regards.

DevRishi

If you want peace, prepare for war.
Old 10th October 2010, 16:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Devrishi, did you actually try to restore this to an original condition, or just chose parts of your liking ?
The rear box type(are they called so ?) fenders in chrome belong to the Deluxe. I think so does the front fender. And just my opinion -- chrome fenders look good only with a tank with a li'l bit of chrome in it.
And I think the tool boxes were flat in that era.

I think this is how a properly restored one should look..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1346571

Just comments brother, no offence please. To each his own...
A rare find, and at a smart price. You are a lucky man. Congrats.
Hello Ashok,
Our posts crossed. Anyway, Over a period of time lot of things would have been modified / changed by the previous owners of the bike as per requirement. It is only down the years that we start talking about the vintage value.

What I look forward with this bike is a vintage LOOK. I got the bike in Black color with black fenders & long black traditinal seat which I did not like. I modified as per my liking - mix of Army Green color & Chrome. Old traditinal seat was there which I swaped with the seats in picture. Got lot of Brass logo's, nuts & bolts and decorated the bike as per my liking. I am not a die hard Vintage VALUE fan. What I want is that the bike should look good & reflect a look of yester years - G2 engine [cast iron], however, is very important and that i have.

Yes, I would like to change the fenders [box type] too along with hubs if it is found that they do not belong to 1967 ones.

Thanks & regards.
Old 10th October 2010, 23:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on this excellent acquisition DevRishi.

+1 to what Ashok said. The chrome fenders look out of place on a non-chrome body. Do see if it is possible to go in for colored one.
The leg guard needs changing at the earliest. This one is probably the most useless guard in the market.
As perceptions vary, I don't really like the seat. But, if you like it and are finding it comfortable, it works!
Also, can you remove the rubber bob at the end of your silencer.
Does the handlebar vibrate a lot?
Old 11th October 2010, 20:38   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
What I look forward with this bike is a vintage LOOK. I got the bike in Black color with black fenders & long black traditinal seat which I did not like. I modified as per my liking - mix of Army Green color & Chrome. Old traditinal seat was there which I swaped with the seats in picture. Got lot of Brass logo's, nuts & bolts and decorated the bike as per my liking. I am not a die hard Vintage VALUE fan. What I want is that the bike should look good & reflect a look of yester years - G2 engine [cast iron], however, is very important and that i have.

Yes, I would like to change the fenders [box type] too along with hubs if it is found that they do not belong to 1967 ones.
Ok, if vintage look is what you want, you need old type fenders -- they are a dead giveaway. I am not sure if you love your chrome -- I ve not seen any old type fenders in chrome.
Plus you may also want to add the rubber knee pads on to your tank.
From my limited experience, these days if you have number plate put up vertically on your mudguards, most people think its a VINTAGE vehicle. But a real bulleteer(not that I am one), one who has seen enough bullets from different eras will know that there is much more to vintage look than just number plate.

I know about the G2 engine, as I mentioned in my earlier post, its a great buy and a very smart price. Since you wanted a Vintage LOOK, mentioned some points.
Your tank looks just like a new one without the knee pads. The tool boxes are curved and looks just like a bullet out of showroom. So does the box type airfilter (the vintage ones are curved, much like the CL350)
And I seriously do not think any bullet was ever sold in India or elsewhere with this kind of seats. May be other experienced bulleteers can comment.

I like the fact that despite all these changes, you still have chrome clutch and front brake levers -- its rare to find in bullets running on the road these days. Adds to the vintage look. And I think you have the old type horn -- wasnt very much visible from the pic -- thats retro too.

Enjoy your ride, happy thumping. Does your bullet have a magdyno setup ?
Old 11th October 2010, 20:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokrajagopal View Post
Just a point, if I may without offending your sensibilities Dev. The seats don't gel; I mean, the two of them together are spoiling the aesthetics somewhat. Do something about the rear seat. If you don't like the advice, just excuse me coz' I am a fellow Kanpur-ia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks