Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 19:35   #1
BHPian

For how long is an NOC valid?

I moved from Kanpur to Hyderabad recently on a two-year assignment. I took an NOC from Kanpur for moving my TBTS and got this endorsed on its registration.

My question is, can I stay the entire two years at Hyderabad without getting an AP registration (and paying 8% road-tax)?

What if I decide, at the end of two years, to stay on at Hyderabad; can the registration be changed then?

What if I decide to sell the bike in Hyderabad, does the registration need to be changed before I do so? (I don't intend to sell my beloved TBTS! Just asking)

Thanks,
Old 13th October 2010, 20:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
My question is, can I stay the entire two years at Hyderabad without getting an AP registration (and paying 8% road-tax)?
Nope; If I'm not wrong, the NOC itself is valid for only about 3 or 6 months only after which you need to obtain another NOC.

Quote:
What if I decide, at the end of two years, to stay on at Hyderabad; can the registration be changed then?
Yes; but you'll need to take the NOC once again as the current NOC would've been expired by then.

Quote:
What if I decide to sell the bike in Hyderabad, does the registration need to be changed before I do so? (I don't intend to sell my beloved TBTS! Just asking)
Never even think of doing that mistake; you'll make fortunes only when someone in AP is keen on buying a Kanpur registered TBTS (you know how rare it is).

Best way is to stay ride as it is & keep renewing the NOC each time before it gets expired, which is again a big headache. The right way is to apply for reregistration with AP RTO & do not even bother to follow-up. However get the receipt from RTO that you've submitted all the papers for reregistration & keep riding happily. Even if cops check, you've a solid proof that you've applied for reregistration.
Old 13th October 2010, 21:25   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The right way is to apply for reregistration with AP RTO & do not even bother to follow-up. However get the receipt from RTO that you've submitted all the papers for reregistration & keep riding happily. Even if cops check, you've a solid proof that you've applied for reregistration.
I think for applying re-registration, you have to submit the original RC book along with application form and NOC at AP RTO. (thats how it is in kerala). So your advice about not bothering to follow-up will only make him to lose his original vehicle ownership documents !

regards
san
Old 13th October 2010, 21:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
I think for applying re-registration, you have to submit the original RC book along with application form and NOC at AP RTO. (thats how it is in kerala).
Not sure if original RC needs to be submitted; however the process is...
1. Get the commercial tax cleared
2. Submit relevant forms (I guess it should be 29/30/31) & photocopies of the original RC, PUC, license, tax token, insurance after showing the originals
3. Pay the prescribed RTO fee & get a receipt that protects from the greedy cops
4. Keep waiting for ever

During the wait time, what happens is, AP RTO sends out the submitted papers to Kanpur RTO asking to provide clean chit for the vehicle. Once Kanpur RTO does that after verification, the papers are sent to AP RTO. Once AP RTO gets these papers, then, they call (or rather we follow-up) for submitting the original RC. Once this is done, the difference of tax is to be paid for the vehicle & then AP RTO issues a new RC which is like obtaining a RC for new vehicle. This means, the vehicle has to be taken to RTO for inspecting (engine no: & chassis no: engraved in paper using pencil)

These are the steps that I did when I got my Rx in 99 from KL to TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
So your advice about not bothering to follow-up will only make him to lose his original vehicle ownership documents !
Wrong!!! I insisted on getting the receipt from the RTO, that is more than sufficient to evade the cops.
Old 14th October 2010, 09:17   #5
BHPian

@aargee and stnair,

Thanks for your inputs. I too had believed that I have to file for a new registration within 3 months. But when I went to do so, the concerned clerk at the RTO asked me why I wanted to pay the road-tax all over again, when people in tranferrable jobs do not need to do so.

When I asked him whether I could later get an AP registration, if necessary, after two years on the same NOC, he replied yes, and specifically said that the NOC would not expire. This was at such variance with what I had previously been told that I posted my questions above.

Now I am still pretty confused who is right. The NOC does not have any expiry date written on it.

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 14th October 2010 at 09:31.
Old 14th October 2010, 09:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now I am still pretty confused who is right. The NOC does not have any expiry date written on it.
Well the one I took had an expiry of 90 or 180 days, not sure or has the rules changed over now?

You should've taken the NOC from the police station isn't it? Is it possible for you to approach the same SI or inspector who provided you the NOC & hint him on the expiry date? May be they've forgotten?

To get some insights, here're some links, though you might've seen them before
RTO No Objection Certificate and Vehicle Re-registration
Hyderabad Road Tax
OBTAIN ?NOC? FOR YOUR VEHICLE YOURSELF
Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA
Old 14th October 2010, 10:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

This is from my experience of getting an NOC from kerala to TN, and later cancelling it without registering in the new state (TN).
Quote:
No. AFAIK, it is valid only for 6 months.
Quote:
But when I went to do so, the concerned clerk at the RTO asked me why I wanted to pay the road-tax all over again, when people in tranferrable jobs do not need to do so.
Never believe these people, unless its written in the rules. Most of these so-called 'clerks' dont know exactly what the rules are, and they toss you around various departments if anything goes wrong.

As per Kerala RTO, once an NOC is issued towards a vehicle, the registration is no longer valid in kerala unless that NOC is cancelled. Suppose, after 6 months, the other RTO (in my case TN) is not registering the vehicle stating the NOC is old, NOC (kerala in my case) wont be issued again as the vehicle is already removed from their records.

Search Team-Bhp, and there is a similar case where a vehicle ended up without registration in both states.
Quote:
Suppose NOC has to be cancelled (In case, you need to return to Kanpur)- You need to take Police clearance certificate from hyberabad (Crime Records Bureau in Chennai's case) and produce this at hyderabad RTO to get their clearance. Produce this certificate at the original RTO (kerala in my case) and get the NOC cancelled.

Above were from my experience. But these RTO rules are so complicated. Refer these threads for more info-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rocedures.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...efund-etc.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ax-refund.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...-road-tax.html

PS: Good agents know a lot more than these RTO 'clerks' from my experience.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'm forced to add a post here to agree that Crazy driver's words are bang truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is from my experience of getting an NOC from kerala to TN, and later cancelling it without registering in the new state (TN).
Me too!!!

Quote:
Never believe these people, unless its written in the rules. Most of these so-called 'clerks' dont know exactly what the rules are, and they toss you around various departments if anything goes wrong.
Very true; another alternative is to approach a reputed driving school; just pay for their service & remember to follow-up with them.

Quote:
Search Team-Bhp, and there is a similar case where a vehicle ended up without registration in both states.
This is exactly my experience too; however, in my case, we were able to sell it off to a guy for the same price as we bought. Fortunately or unfortunately, the bike was crushed under a new tipper lorry & had to be scrapped. That way, there's no more legal hassles for me with that Rx.

Quote:
But these RTO rules are so complicated.
No; most of them ridiculous & even stupid; RTO pays attention to detail for the proofs one submits, but they don't care whether you're a safe rider or not.

Quote:
PS: Good agents know a lot more than these RTO 'clerks' from my experience.
Couldn't agree more; approach a reputed & reliable driving school (or agent) regarding your work. The reputed one will have a strong hold with RTO office & the reliablity will ensure that he doesn't swindle with your money.

One of the case (for a different issue) I experienced where the driving school was reliable, but didn't have a hold at RTO & each time I approached with this guy, they rejected. So reputation + reliablity is more important.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

First of ALL AFAIK NOC is Valid for only one year, after that you have go for a fresh NOC, but again you have to cancel the existing one and then the fresh one. Too much of a pain.

The best thing to do for an old vehicle (older than 1.5 years) is to pay the road tax and get a reciept for that which will suffice for the rest of the life.

By doing this you can ride / drive in both of the states with out any fuss and you retain your old number.

And if suppose you do want to go for local registration, you need to get NOC submit that to local rto along with the local road tax details and they will issue you a fresh local number.

But for getting a local number you have to wait couple of months.

And when all this is done, you go to old RTO submit the documents and get the refund of the Tax paid in the earlier state, cool isin't it.
Old 14th October 2010, 17:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

The best thing to do for an old vehicle (older than 1.5 years) is to pay the road tax and get a reciept for that which will suffice for the rest of the life.

But for getting a local number you have to wait couple of months.

And when all this is done, you go to old RTO submit the documents and get the refund of the Tax paid in the earlier state, cool isin't it.
Manishalive,

Thanks for the input , I recently moved to a different state and intend to get my bike here , is the road tax flat for the vehicle irrespective of the age of the vehicle? Any idea how much I'd have to pay?

And Guys , how much does it cost to get a NOC.

Last edited by motorpsycho : 14th October 2010 at 17:45. Reason: Spell Check :-)
Old 17th October 2010, 00:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Guys which NOC are you talking about? If its the RTO NOC then its valid for a period of 30 days from the date of issue and if its not submitted within that time you need to get it re endorsed from the issuing RTO. However certain RTO's will accept a NOC within 2-3 months as well but they will be within their rights to refuse in case they so decide.
Old 17th October 2010, 07:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
Manishalive,

Thanks for the input , I recently moved to a different state and intend to get my bike here , is the road tax flat for the vehicle irrespective of the age of the vehicle? Any idea how much I'd have to pay?

And Guys , how much does it cost to get a NOC.
Yeah, Only thing new vehicles attract more tax. Get hold of a agent and tell him to get job done (at lowest possible ), he will do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys which NOC are you talking about? If its the RTO NOC then its valid for a period of 30 days from the date of issue and if its not submitted within that time you need to get it re endorsed from the issuing RTO. However certain RTO's will accept a NOC within 2-3 months as well but they will be within their rights to refuse in case they so decide.
One month, in a new state, you can't even register. You have to wait for 1 month after paying road tax to get new number.
Old 18th October 2010, 14:38   #13
BHPian

@ Manish ,

Thanks a Ton , I will get it done. I think it would be cheaper to get the NOC renewed or get a fresh one issued. With a right agent this could be pulled off.

regards

MP
Old 18th October 2010, 22:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Manish One month is the time limit from the date of issue of NOC to submit the NOC to the new RTO. Thereafter, it will take about 2-3 months for the vehicle to get registered as the NOC gets returned for a re endorsement to the issuing RTO once gain.
Old 19th October 2010, 20:12   #15
BHPian

Thanks aargee, Crazydriver and all the others who gave their views. Because of the discuscussion here I went back today to the RTO. Here's the procedure:

If you are leaving state A for state B:

1. make sure that you get an NOC (No objection certificate) from your local RTO in state A.
2. You also need to get the transfer endorsed on your vehicle registration. Unfortunately, this endorsement will not be just to state B, but a specific district in state B. So make sure that the right district is put in, because that is where you will have to go to get the transfer done. If neither your place of residence nor your place of work falls within that district, you are in trouble!
3. Also get the form 28 filled and signed by the RTO in place A.

Once you are in place B:

1. you have 90 days to use your NOC, after which it expires. During this time you SHOULD pay the life-time road-tax in place B (which is sufficient to keep the cops happy) . Use form 27. In case you intend to go back to State A, you need not do any more (till you are about to leave, when you will probably have to get the NOC re-done in state B, I think).

2. If you want to apply for re-registration in state B, you should do so using form 33. Submit your original registration, form 28 (filled by RTO A), NOC, and proof of residence (or place of work, to do this I had to talk to the RTO in-charge, as the clerk wanted proof of residence within that district, which I couldn't produce as I am living outside it).

3. Then your vehicle is physically inspected, on that or some other day. A letter is sent by RTO B to RTO A to confirm that the NOC is bona-fide. This letter is usually never answered, so a copy of the letter is handed to you so that your agent in RTO A can get the necessary confirmation sent. You new registration is released within days.

See, so simple! I love my India!

Last edited by Rollin' Thunda : 19th October 2010 at 20:15.
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks