Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:12   #31
BHPian

Waiting for more photos and updates on your ride. Have you got yourself a riding gear?
What are you planning on picking up.
How is the riding position, sporty ?
Will Like to see some riding pictures.
Thanks mate.
Old 23rd November 2010, 19:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock View Post
Fourth, the price estimates vary wildly - from 4.5L to 7.0 L ex-showroom. Lastly, if I want it bad enough when it comes out, I'll buy it, what the hell.
Haha! That is, attitude at its best.

Congratulations on your purchase. Ride safe, have fun, loads of it.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:17   #33
BHPian

ODO READING: 257 kms

Hi guys,

Been riding around town a little bit, mostly in traffic... Still a long way from the 800 km mark... Waiting for my registration no. so that I can ride her out of town. Seems to take a while here... Been almost a week since I took delivery but absolutely nothing yet.

Rode almost to Mussoorie yesterday, and I think I understand why some people feel that the Ninja is underpowered in the mountains. You have to keep it in the powerband, period. As long as you can do that, I think its about as much fun as you're likely to have in the mountains without, I don't know, jumping off with a parachute or something...

Power delivery is wonderfully linear, and I was pleased to note how far you can lean in a left hander without feeling unsettled with a cliff 15 feet off your right toe and a dead wall on the left. A light motorcycle with this much power may not blow the pants off everyone on the road (which I guess it does in India at this point anyway) but man, in the hills, I would bet it would thrash a motorcycle with much much more power simply because it's nimble as hell.

A minor grouse is the headlight - not that it doesn't illuminate the road nicely, but in a bunch of twisties with a number of hairpins in succession, I had to slow down significantly so that the forward pointing headlight would keep up with the rate of turn. But that's only in the pitch dark, so I guess one can live with it.

Nevertheless, I'm enjoying my evenings with the Ninja. It's starting to get quite chilly here, and the traffic seems to thin down quite a bit later in the nights.

Last night, I was returning from my escapade in the hills about 9ish in the evening, and stopped at a bakery close to my place for something. When I came out, a bunch of 3-4 guys and a child were standing around the bike. I went over, and there was the usual talk about cc's and top speeds and all that. It never ceases to amaze me that there's this much excitement about a 250 - even a good 250 like this. I've had people tell me that if I'd waited a while (read gotten some more money together, apparently) , I could have bought myself a 500 (twice as fast) or a 1000 (4 times as fast ). It's kind of hard to explain that the USP for a bike like this is not straight line performance. This is not to say that it doesn't give me a kick in a straight line, but that it's the twisties I think it's built for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
For the mirror issue, ask the service guys to fix a spring washer. They did the same here for a couple of guys who were facing this issue and it is rectified now.

As aargee said, get the FZ hugger to avoid mud and muck being splashed all around the hard to clean areas. Its not a bolt on fit and needs some jugaad like cutting etc. to fit on the bike.
Hi Aditya... a tyre hugger, eh? Seems like a useful addition.. I'll find one. I hope the cutting you're referring to is on the tyre hugger.. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Another black on the block..congrats Brocklock. dont think too much about the 4k limit, just make sure you are not lugging/straining/redlining the engine and its all good. Welcome to the ninja club, ride safe and have a blast!!
Thanks! I'm planning to get some stuff for the bike. So I'd appreciate inputs from you guys. This is what I have in mind as of now:

1. Frame sliders, problem being HOW. None are available here in Dehra.
2. Riding jacket (prob. Rjays)
3. Gloves & boots (also prob. Rjays / Astars)
4. Kneecaps (for the times when I get too happy in the hills)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
A great buy indeed! Congratulations, wish you many happy miles.

So is this the black Ninja that had been parked at the showroom for quite some time? I always ogled at it but never got the time to get down and check it out.
Thanks!

Ya, this one was there for about 20 days, I think. Came in just before Diwali. You're here in Doon, are you? Is there some sort of rider's group out here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
Congrats brocklock, looks awesome in black with all the shiny raindrops. Wishing you a lot of smiles and miles.
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Waiting for more photos and updates on your ride. Have you got yourself a riding gear?
What are you planning on picking up.
How is the riding position, sporty ?
Will Like to see some riding pictures.
Thanks mate.
Hi Visaster... More pics as soon as I can get my camera working. Riding gear is in the pipeline - so soon. Ride position is good for me - comfortable but sporty. From what I can remember of my friend's bike, this is not as sporty as that, but somewhere in the middle.

Riding pictures will be hard to do just yet because I'm mostly riding alone. I'll post as soon as I get round to taking some...

Looks like you're going to Probiking soon.
Old 24th November 2010, 14:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A minor grouse is the headlight - not that it doesn't illuminate the road nicely, but in a bunch of twisties with a number of hairpins in succession, I had to slow down significantly so that the forward pointing headlight would keep up with the rate of turn. But that's only in the pitch dark, so I guess one can live with it.
I've experienced this while riding on the hills at dusk. Helps me slow down on the curves which adds to the safety aspect. But if you know the turn well (no gravel, no sand, no water etc.) you should be fine. The trick is to be as smooth as possible. No sudden maneuvers that would upset the flow. Never chop the throttle (letting go of the gas immediately) but roll off gradually. Never whack the throttle open but increase input steadily and progress through the turn. Slow down well before the turn and once halfway into the turn increase speed. This will avoid mid-corner corrections and you wont lose control and crash.

Quote:
a tyre hugger, eh? Seems like a useful addition.. I'll find one. I hope the cutting you're referring to is on the tyre hugger.. LOL
Get the Yamaha FZ Tire Hugger. It sits just above the rear tire. Its almost a straight fit except that you need to cut it a bit and makes holes on the right side and secure it with a tie-wrap (the ones that seal the shopping bag's at mall's). No modification to the bike required.

Quote:
I'm planning to get some stuff for the bike. So I'd appreciate inputs from you guys. This is what I have in mind as of now:

1. Frame sliders, problem being HOW. None are available here in Dehra.
2. Riding jacket (prob. Rjays)
3. Gloves & boots (also prob. Rjays / Astars)
4. Kneecaps (for the times when I get too happy in the hills)
1. Frame sliders - Get the Puig Frame Sliders. These are bolt-on. No cutting necessary. Available in black and green color. Planet DSG (Pune) and Bachoo Motors (Mumbai) stocks them and they ship all over India. Speak to Vijay at DSG or Zulfi at Bachoo. They know me pretty well.

2. Riding Jacket - Ensure you get something with built-in armor for your elbows, shoulder and back. Alpinestars are really good but pricey. Best bet - go for a leather jacket and leather pants with built-in armor (leather offers maximum abrasion resistance in case of a fall). It will be hot when in standstill traffic but on the move, its not uncomfortable. Better to sweat than to bleed huh?

3. Gloves - From personal experience I'd recommend DSG Revive. Superb gloves with full leather construction (leather offers maximum abrasion resistance in case of a fall). Has carbon fiber/kevlar protection for fingers and knuckles (some only offer protection on the knuckle area). Air vents on the finger area and perforations on the sides of the finger area will ensure you dont sweat in summers. Only issue is that the velcro strap tends to weaken after a few months. Another alternative is DSG Carbon. This is a full gauntlet glove with full leather construction, CF protection, etc. But no air vents. Plus point is that it is full gauntlet so it'll protect your forearm too.

Boots - Sidi's or Alpinestars again. Pricey but worth the investment. Highly recommended to go for full length boots as your shin is also protected (shin's take a bad beating in the event of a fall). Cheaper option is Joe Rocket. RJay's boots didnt impress me much.

4. Knee guards - Aplinestars Bionic knee protectors. Available at Planet DSG. Retails at 5.2k and absolute VFM. See my wayand triplog for a short review on the A* knee guards. God forbid, but in the event of a fall, the knees take a bad beating and getting back to the saddle will take a while. Please don't compromise on safety.

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th November 2010 at 14:14.
Old 24th November 2010, 17:09   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!

Ya, this one was there for about 20 days, I think. Came in just before Diwali. You're here in Doon, are you? Is there some sort of rider's group out here?
Not these days :(

Yes, get in touch with Navpreet or Shan2129. Navpreet has a daddy Ninja.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:57   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I've experienced this while riding on the hills at dusk. Helps me slow down on the curves which adds to the safety aspect. But if you know the turn well (no gravel, no sand, no water etc.) you should be fine. The trick is to be as smooth as possible. No sudden maneuvers that would upset the flow. Never chop the throttle (letting go of the gas immediately) but roll off gradually. Never whack the throttle open but increase input steadily and progress through the turn. Slow down well before the turn and once halfway into the turn increase speed. This will avoid mid-corner corrections and you wont lose control and crash.
@ Aditya: Helps you slow down? Talk about looking at the bright side

Thanks for the info about the gear. I'll talk to the guys at Planet DSG / Bachoo. Bachoo seem to have quite a big ebay store too, so I guess it will be easier with them. Thanks!

As far as mid-corner corrections go, I'd say this seems to be one of the more forgiving motorcycles I've seen.

Repeated the Mussoorie run yesterday, but in better light than the day before... Some pics (Sorry, still using my phone camera):
Attached Thumbnails
Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-24112010338.jpg  

Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-24112010340.jpg  

Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-24112010347.jpg  

Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-24112010348.jpg  

Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-24112010352.jpg  

Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-24112010357.jpg  

Another Ninja 250R in Team-BHP : MINE!-24112010360.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 25th November 2010, 12:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the gear. I'll talk to the guys at Planet DSG / Bachoo. Bachoo seem to have quite a big ebay store too, so I guess it will be easier with them. Thanks!
If you are on FB, add their page on to your profile for updates on new products etc.

I'm not sure if their products are cheaper on ebay. I have bought stuff directly from them by just calling them > online funds transfer and the product has reached me in no later than 24-48 hrs.

Also suggest you buy a couple of microfiber towels (min. of 3 should do - 1 for wash, 1 for drying and the other for waxing the bike). These towels will not scratch your paint like other fabrics. I use ArmorAll wash n wax (shampoo with wax) and pretty happy with it. Doesnt need a wax job post the washing and shines pretty well. Available at most car accessory shops and highly recommended.

Quote:
As far as mid-corner corrections go, I'd say this seems to be one of the more forgiving motorcycles I've seen.
+1.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th November 2010 at 12:17.
Old 25th November 2010, 14:28   #38
BHPian

Quote:
If you are on FB, add their page on to your profile for updates on new products etc.

I'm not sure if their products are cheaper on ebay. I have bought stuff directly from them by just calling them > online funds transfer and the product has reached me in no later than 24-48 hrs.

Also suggest you buy a couple of microfiber towels (min. of 3 should do - 1 for wash, 1 for drying and the other for waxing the bike). These towels will not scratch your paint like other fabrics. I use ArmorAll wash n wax (shampoo with wax) and pretty happy with it. Doesnt need a wax job post the washing and shines pretty well. Available at most car accessory shops and highly recommended.
Online transfer as in Third party transfer through netbanking? I don't have that active on my account. Anyways, I'll call them and ask what my payment options are.

I'm using Formula One shampoo for washing & Turtle Wax for polish. Been using it for very long, and it gives some great results. Try chamois, you'll love it.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try chamois, you'll love it.
I have an artificial chamois leather which is some chinese make. Cost me some 200 odd bucks and comes in a yellow plastic box.

How do i use it? Just pat the bike dry? Cant wipe with it as it feels like i'm running my hand against a party balloon. So i use a microfiber towel instead.

Last edited by n_aditya : 25th November 2010 at 15:11.
Old 25th November 2010, 15:38   #40
BHPian

Hi Brocklock,
Great review and keep updating the thread regularly its really nice to read your review.
My question is that have you bought the bike from Dehradun?Because your info shows you are from Delhi.
In the service center here get your bike serviced only from the guy you got it done earlier.Because the other won is not good with it.
Plus the sales guy Mayank at pro-biking is very supportive and helpful he can help you with accessories.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:02   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also suggest you buy a couple of microfiber towels (min. of 3 should do - 1 for wash, 1 for drying and the other for waxing the bike).
Where did you get a microfiber towel from? Price?
Also, how often do you shampoo the Ninja with the wash & wax?

manson.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul016 View Post
Hi Brocklock,
Great review and keep updating the thread regularly its really nice to read your review.
My question is that have you bought the bike from Dehradun?Because your info shows you are from Delhi.
In the service center here get your bike serviced only from the guy you got it done earlier.Because the other won is not good with it.
Plus the sales guy Mayank at pro-biking is very supportive and helpful he can help you with accessories.
Thanks!

Yes, I did buy the bike from Dehradun - I live here. My info shows that I'm from Delhi because I was unable to change my profile settings for some reason despite repeated attempts . Anyways, tried again right now and it worked.

Mayank doesn't seem to be able to help with accessories much, although he is very supportive and quite decent about the whole thing too. About the technicians, I think they've taken the other Kawasaki trained guy off the bay.

So you're here too... good to know! You sound like you've had some bad experiences with the other technician. What gives?
Old 25th November 2010, 16:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I have an artificial chamois leather which is some chinese make. Cost me some 200 odd bucks and comes in a yellow plastic box.

How do i use it? Just pat the bike dry? Cant wipe with it as it feels like i'm running my hand against a party balloon. So i use a microfiber towel instead.
I think I know the pack you're talking bout. A yellow cylinder with a flat side and a hole in the bottom, right?

That's not as good as chamois leather, but considering that chamois leather is hard to get in your friendly neighbourhood accessories shop, it works okay - easier to dry with than a towel anyway.

Fill up the yellow container with water and allow the chamois to soak. When you want to use it, wring the cloth as dry as you can and then wipe. It really picks up water very well, and will not scratch. Do not try to use the chamois when it is completely dry - it remains stiff and leathery (the balloon feeling you're talking about, I think).

For storage, keep the patch moist and it will last longer.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Where did you get a microfiber towel from? Price?
I bought the MF towels from Blueraven's shop. Cost me some 560 bucks for a set of 3. These are from Turtle wax. Should be available at most car accessory shops. You can try eBay too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Also, how often do you shampoo the Ninja with the wash & wax?
Depends how dirty the bike is. But she gets a nice bath at least once a month as I dont ride that often now. I've covered every other place in the outskirts of blore and only do longer overnighters once a month. Boring to ride to the same place over and over again.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:40   #45
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Brocklock!

A fantastic purchase in an equally fantastic shade! Loving the black Ninja! And it's good to see the 250R in its elements. Fantastic pictures there! You've taken some superb photos. Why don't you get yourself a dedicated camera and work your magic? It will be an absolute treat for everyone here!

Take care and ride safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks