Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 19:14   #1
BHPian

How far will a Bullet with a rattling big end take me?

My old Bullet's big end had started making noise a few months ago. It sounded like the primary chain became loose again because that was the culprit the last time. However, upon inspection it was found that the primary's tension was fine. Removing the crankcase drainplug revealed a single, roughly 2mm by 2mm filing of white metal from the floating bush. There may have been more filings but they must've been pumped up to the rockers because they became significantly noisier after the big end failure.

Possible causes of the floating bush getting peeled:
1. Riding at wide open throttle for extended durations in 35 degrees Celsius ambient temperature. (Abuse, I know)
2. Not changing oil within 3000 km when the engine was being subjected to the above conditions.
3. The oil pumps have around 150,000 km on them and could not function efficiently in the above mentioned circumstances.
4. Something else?

What could it be?

My main query:
Can my bike withstand a ride to Chandigarh which is 280 km away when it has already done nearly 200 km in its present condition? The big end emits minimum vibes and noise at 50 km/h. An overhaul is not a job I trust anyone in Delhi with.

Please suggest.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: How far will a Bullet with a rattling big end take me?

Who are you getting the JOB done in CHD? DANA? if yes then you can contact Neetu Singh in delhi or Kaka Jee bullet Wale, Bejinder (ESS AAR motors ) in Karol bagh. you really dont have to take it to CHD for a rework done on it.

I would personally recomend NEETU SINGH AND BEJINDER.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:53   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sid, if the big end fails the bike won't move. Pushing a Bullet is not gonna be easy.
Get it fixed in Delhi, you will surely find a good mechanic. Deep has already posted some contacts above.
Old 18th January 2011, 20:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

The other question is...once it lets go..what other parts of the engine will it take with it.
Old 18th January 2011, 20:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

MPOWER certainly has a point. though no one can really tell if it would last for 20, 200 or 2000 KM. but for sure if it breaks and things can go really wrong. i would not even like to talk about any of that. so please get it done here contact me. i think you do have me number or take it in a transport to CHD if thats what makes you feel fine. cause i know some one who was from Chandigarh and he used to take his bike to Chandigarh to get it serviced. and i was Surprised always.
Old 18th January 2011, 21:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

But if you still decide to ride it down to Chandigarh, please keep a good camera along.
Old 18th January 2011, 21:44   #7
BANNED

It wont go too far. Take it on a truck.
Old 18th January 2011, 22:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised the engine has been able to run 200 kms with such a catastrophic failure. Looking at the size of the metal shavings, it's best if you get the repair work done soon & not ride it till then.

There are many good mechanics in Delhi NCR itself. desideep has suggested a few names, let me know if you need help with Bijender or Mamchand at Ess Aar motors.

Ride safe, & do post the updates. Good luck.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 18th January 2011 at 22:16.
Old 18th January 2011, 22:43   #9
BHPian

slightly OT, since we are talking about Delhi based mechanics, how do you guys rate Pappu (John's Automobile), who is based at Mahipalpur?
Old 19th January 2011, 09:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

^^ As far as I have heard of Pappu in mahipalpur, he is a rip off. I don't know the shop name etc, but just heard the mechanic's name. I might be wrong since I have no personal experience but have heard enough bad opinions to remove him as an option from my list.

Ride safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 19th January 2011 at 09:34.
Old 31st January 2011, 00:18   #11
BHPian

Sorry for the huge delay. My GPRS service was not working for quite a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
Who are you getting the JOB done in CHD? DANA? if yes then you can contact Neetu Singh in delhi or Kaka Jee bullet Wale, Bejinder (ESS AAR motors ) in Karol bagh. you really dont have to take it to CHD for a rework done on it.

I would personally recomend NEETU SINGH AND BEJINDER.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
MPOWER certainly has a point. though no one can really tell if it would last for 20, 200 or 2000 KM. but for sure if it breaks and things can go really wrong. i would not even like to talk about any of that. so please get it done here contact me. i think you do have me number or take it in a transport to CHD if thats what makes you feel fine. cause i know some one who was from Chandigarh and he used to take his bike to Chandigarh to get it serviced. and i was Surprised always.
I went to ESS AAR once to get the cylinder kit changed. It was the first time I ever took my bike to an Enfield service centre. However, Bejinder or Mahmchand didn't do the procedure. It was Johnny and he wasn't that great. When I got the primary chain changed and asked him to change the clutch seal, it was the first time he saw an old model seal (sans adapter).
In Chandigarh, I get repairs done by Satnam, never Dana so don't know how good he is. It's mainly a matter of trust. It's too big a repair to get done by someone I haven't gotten repairs done by before.
Old 31st January 2011, 00:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sid, if the big end fails the bike won't move. Pushing a Bullet is not gonna be easy.
Get it fixed in Delhi, you will surely find a good mechanic. Deep has already posted some contacts above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
The other question is...once it lets go..what other parts of the engine will it take with it.
What usually happens when the bush gets peeled? I mean, why does the big end lock up? Because of the filings packing up?
Old 31st January 2011, 00:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But if you still decide to ride it down to Chandigarh, please keep a good camera along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
It wont go too far. Take it on a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I am surprised the engine has been able to run 200 kms with such a catastrophic failure. Looking at the size of the metal shavings, it's best if you get the repair work done soon & not ride it till then.

There are many good mechanics in Delhi NCR itself. desideep has suggested a few names, let me know if you need help with Bijender or Mamchand at Ess Aar motors.

Ride safe, & do post the updates. Good luck.
@bblost, Oh yeah, I'd like to be your guinea pig! Of course, it would be a kodak moment. I'd probably you ask you the same!

Ok, I'm not going to ride it. Does anybody know the process of transporting a motorcycle via train?
Old 31st January 2011, 01:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Seriously don't get it done at Satnam. I suggest bringing down to RE workshop and I'll guarantee the work done on your bike to your complete satisfaction. There are 2 RE workshops in Chandigarh and one of them is 2nd best workshop in whole of India after the Barnala Automobiles in Ludhiana.

Instead of transporting through rail, why dont you send it through road transport.
For sending through rail all you need is your ID and RC for bike. Fill in a form at the R station, provide them with the details and pay the charges.
Old 31st January 2011, 09:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
Ok, I'm not going to ride it. Does anybody know the process of transporting a motorcycle via train?
I had inquired about this in Chandigarh some time back, & I suppose it should be the same. Just go to the station & speak with the guy who supervises or handles the goods transport from Delhi. He will ask you to get certain documents along with the bike & the bike can usually be packed at the station itself. But before any thing, have a word with the concerned guy at the Delhi station or wherever you plan to board your bike on train.

Ride safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks