Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2011, 21:45   #31
BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS launched! First Indian bike with ABS

One can just watch the ABS video on youtube on an RTR180 and understand why a ABS is so important for a motorbike. I can strongly say a ABS is far important in a motorbike as compared to a car because in a motorbike we dont have balance like a car.ABS is a must in slippery conditions normally prevailing on wet indian roads.
I myself own a White RTR180 presently after a 8 year use of Old workhorse TVS Victor and i can vouch for TVS reliability,no nonsense bikes and great performance.I had recently taken a TVS RTR 180 to ladakh and it has proven its reliability by being niggle proof.
Yes the tyres need to Improve especially for the wet conditions.

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 15th March 2011 at 21:49. Reason: More points to be added
Old 16th March 2011, 02:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
When the wheels lock. The suspension moves ahead hence we get what we call a wheelie. But this does not stop the bike from skidding forward and covering distance.

When the wheels do not lock, the suspension is still travelling forward. Hence the distance travelled is less and the rear does not lift up.

This is my understanding but I might be wrong.
Actually, its called a stoppie.

Also, stoppies without wheel lock is done by careful progressive braking and along with that the driver shifts the weight from the back to front in a progressive manner, so that the rear lifts off the ground even though the front tyre rolls.

For a normal driver, a stoppie can 'occur' of he 'slams' the discs. As here ABS is installed, the tyre cannot lock and hence, unexpected stoppies can be avoided.

Yes, as rehaan mentioned, i guess its a by product of ABS. Not sure about the technical details though.
Old 16th March 2011, 21:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hmm...yes like a rolling stoppie?..Not sure how they can prevent that without bleeding pressure from the front brakes....and that would hurt retardation like you said.
Two contradictory chains of thought for rolling stoppies:

A) Loosing the contribution of the rear wheel. Keeping the rear wheel on the ground should help shortening braking distance.

B) All the weight is on the front wheel. So care two hoots about the rear wheel.

Think will need more than 'thinking through' (ie will require some real maths) to come to a conclusion.

Also, how will a system (ecu) 'know' that a rear wheel has lifted. Accelerometers will not help. Gyros possibly. Any definitive answers.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th March 2011, 21:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Also, how will a system (ecu) 'know' that a rear wheel has lifted. Accelerometers will not help. Gyros possibly. Any definitive answers.
U can use a suspension travel indicator which will show max rebound. Such a device is already used in cars for headlight adjustment.
Old 17th March 2011, 06:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Simple! Yes, that would work.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th March 2011, 15:28   #36
BHPian

Maybe slightly OT here, however thought should share:

BUMMER: BIGGER CAPACITY TVS APACHE RTR220/250 NOT HAPPENING IN 2011!

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorc...ng-2011-32565/
Old 20th March 2011, 08:46   #37
BHPian

Hey Folks,
I have one question here, is it possible to fix this ABS system on existing Apache Bikes, mine is EFI with front + rear disks,
As many have said earlier, it does skid on wet tarmac so having ABS for bikes is definitely an advantage
Please advise
Old 3rd June 2011, 17:35   #38
BHPian

Recently looked into the tvs motors web site and I see that abs being advertised for delivery I am so happy for TVS. Have applied for test drive through the web and yet to hear from the closest dealer Will update you guys if I happened to test drive one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks