Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 18:04   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS launched! First Indian bike with ABS

TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS launched! First Indian bike with ABS-tvs-apache-rtr-180-abs-1-medium.jpg

High Points:

- The Apache RTR 180 ABS, priced at Rs. 78,880 ex-showroom Delhi, comes in white with orange decals, and is immediately available at select TVS dealerships across the country.

- Related Thread : How different is ABS in bikes from cars?

- TVS Motor Company introduces the Anti-lock Braking System in the Apache RTR 180, the first on any Indian bike, giving the RTR better braking control.

- ABS technology is an integration of a HECU (Hydraulic Electronic Control Unit) and Independent Wheel Speed Sensors which help determine when a wheel is likely to get locked. When the brakes are applied hard, the wheel tends to lock. At this point, the HECU takes over instantaneously and modulates the brake pressure continuously. In simple words, sensors on the front and rear wheels independently monitor the speed of rotation at all times and can sense the risk of wheel lock whenever the brakes are applied. If the sensors communicate an impending wheel lock, the HECU modulates the braking pressure and prevents it, therefore reducing the risk of the rider losing control of his Apache.

- When the ignition is turned ‘ON’, the Apache RTR 180 ABS does an automatic self-check, which is indicated by the blinking of an LED on the console.

- The Apache RTR ABS, is also equipped with a RLP (Rear Wheel Lift-off Protection) system which regulates deceleration when the bike is likely to lift off during emergency braking situations and takes over control, with no loss of stopping distance. The RLP system is continuously monitoring and controlling the braking.

- The bike is also equipped with an ‘ABS-Off’ switch.

Last edited by GTO : 12th March 2011 at 10:08.
Old 11th March 2011, 18:21   #2
BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RTR 180 ABS launched! First Indian bike with ABS

Hi guys,

TVS have been marching to a different tune with their RTR. Amongst the proliferation of the bulging FZtwins, HeroHonda economizers and the almost similar looking Pulsar family; i somehow have always veered to the Apache RTR. Relatively smaller form factor as compared to the competition and not as common either. Now they have gone ahead and pulled a huge first over the competition. What a move from them to be the first to offer ABS on an Indian bike.

If only they'd do something about their spotty service which as 'gururaj r' to has pointed out, is far from competent. Got me thinking of them to be similar to Fiat's operations in India. Brilliant products but service support thats below par.

Cheers
Old 11th March 2011, 18:33   #3
BHPian

I'm quite impressed with TVS technology these days- With the autoclutch mechanism in the Jive (not sure if its novel), the 'Bodybalance' on the Wego and ABS on 2 wheels - first time in India, developed by an Indian maker and not an import. Service scenario I'm not aware of, so no comments on that.
Old 11th March 2011, 22:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Excellent move from TVS!!!

If the rumours are correct, TVS will soon launch a bigger capacity machine with ABS. Otherwise, i would have put my money down on this little bike. Forget everything else, ABS makes all the difference when comparing the A180 versus competition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartik Krishnan View Post
If only they'd do something about their spotty service which as 'gururaj r' to has pointed out, is far from competent. Got me thinking of them to be similar to Fiat's operations in India.
TVS cannot be compared to FIAT India at all.

They have a good following down south, and the service and sales network is pretty good as well. Looking at the market trend, I think TVS is one company with huge potential!
Old 11th March 2011, 23:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Excellent move from TVS!!! .......

.....Looking at the market trend, I think TVS is one company with huge potential!
+1.

Indeed an Excellent Move from TVS. The RTR is one bike, that changed the general perception of the whole TVS brand. Glad that they are still working to improve the product. Unlike Hero Honda; launched the CBZ, which was an excellent bike, but then never gave a major tech update, apart from the occasional change in stickering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The bike is also equipped with an ‘ABS-Off’ switch.
Good thing, because, I get a feeling that unless in very extreme situations, or the diver being novice, the ABS would prove not so effective.

Now, the "OFF" button also means, stoppies cant be stopped by RLP! TVS does knows what an enthusiast heart wants!
Old 12th March 2011, 00:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

What is the price difference between the on road price of a 180(hyperedge) and the 180 ABS?

Also because i am interested in the apaches but cant decide which one to go for,the on road price of the 160?

Thanks
Old 12th March 2011, 00:19   #7
BHPian

Yes this is great news and this is most probably my next bike unless they come up with a 200/220/250cc Apache with ABS. Now about TVS, no doubt these guys make new innovations in our market but there are pathetically slow in it. They came up with 160, then FI, then 180, now 180ABS. Next I guess would be 180FI ABS and then they would think of touching the 200+ market. That's way to slow. If you guys are reading this, then I am sure there are many like me who are interested in buying a 200+cc rocket Apache as soon as you come out with it.
Old 12th March 2011, 01:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to TVS for bringing the ABS to the common man. IIRC regular bike is around 64 so this is a 14K premium.

I believe Honda is planning to charge 30 thousand for it.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Kudos to TVS for bringing the ABS to the common man. IIRC regular bike is around 64 so this is a 14K premium.

I believe Honda is planning to charge 30 thousand for it.
Exactly my feelings. Now, this puts it bang in the reach of thousands of Indians and ABS is now not restricted to only people with deeper pockets. IMO, TVS is one of the underrated companies in India and the Apache and its variants are something that we Indians could be proud of.
Old 12th March 2011, 10:07   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Now, the "OFF" button also means, stoppies cant be stopped by RLP! TVS does knows what an enthusiast heart wants!
Yup . This is exactly what the TVS press release has to say "TVS has however not left the avid ‘biker’ unsatisfied. The bike comes with an ‘ABS-Off’ switch, which disables the ABS technology, enabling the rider to showcase his capabilities on the Apache RTR, in controlled conditions."
Old 12th March 2011, 10:17   #11
Team-BHP Support

You can stoppie a BMW S1000RR, Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade and '11 Kawasaki ZX-10R Ninja which come equipped with ABS. And there is no off button in either. (these bikes are equipped with traction control too)

A sample of what can be done

I know how much I had crashed with my erst while Pulsars (front heavy construction, grabby braking style coupled with absolutely zilch feedback from the lever). Wish there were ABS equipped bikes then.

Its a good move by TVS and they should be applauded, how ever I wish it remains glitch-free and not bother like their fuel injection equipped bike did.

I would recommend buying ABS equipped Motorcycles to all. (starting off with the RTR-180 and CBR*-250R)

*Wish to type VFR due to the styling, but restrain myself.

Last edited by Sheel : 12th March 2011 at 10:21.
Old 12th March 2011, 14:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
... how ever I wish it remains glitch-free and not bother like their fuel injection equipped bike did.
Pardon me for my ignorance, but what glitches did the Fi version have?. Apart from the scarcity of experienced service center/personnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I would recommend buying ABS equipped Motorcycles to all. (starting off with the RTR-180 and CBR*-250R)

*Wish to type VFR due to the styling, but restrain myself.
Well, one will have to drive it to see how it really 'aids' the driver.
Old 13th March 2011, 01:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

TVS bikes are known to come with really crappy stock tires. They should remedy that problem first.
Old 13th March 2011, 02:06   #14
BHPian

This development sounds good, really good.
Although I am an amateur where biking is concerned, ABS is indeed a welcome addition on an Indian bike. Front wheel locking is a big concern, AFAIK.
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but while biking, the front brake application is supposed to be greater than rear brakes. This is what I have known,and practiced (depending on road conditions), since long. And when I tried to explain the same to fellow biker friends (slightly more amateurish than me) they laughed it off saying it would make the front wheel lock up. Taking such beliefs into consideration, along with our less than perfect roads, I would definitely say ABS would aid the rider.
Will leave further comments at rest until a TR.

Cheers and drive/ride safe.
Sam
Old 13th March 2011, 08:47   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Pardon me for my ignorance, but what glitches did the Fi version have?. Apart from the scarcity of experienced service center/personnel?
I had come across 3 FI equipped Motorcycles having erratic idling and weird throttle response. Sadly, the TVS officials/mechanics were clueless.

No such glitch has been reported either by R15's FI and or by Stunner's FI versions. Am yet to see a ZMR doing some decent kilometers, so keeping that on the fence.

Quote:
Well, one will have to drive it to see how it really 'aids' the driver.
How would an ABS aid a rider?
Is this your question?

If yes, a computer controlled braking device can compute the braking forces quickly and more efficiently than a human brain.
Given a choice I would like to ride around in an ABS equipped Motorcycle. On a race-track, the Motorcycles are coming equipped with race ABS and or you may switch them off and trail brake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks