Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2011, 11:40   #1
BHPian

We go with the Wego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
Booked the Wego yesterday for my wife at Arunagiri TVS near Kalyan Nagar. The salesman promised the vehicle in one day for any colour. We chose the Gold hoping to be easier on the maintenance part.

Cost is working up to Rs.52,700 and accessories extra. We picked up the all round leg rail, front armour and the mudguard armour.

During the test ride, we both found it much lighter than the Honda Activa, but the brakes seemed more effective. Being telescopic shocks in the front and having 12" wheels, it wouldn't be very difficult to add the disc brakes from the Honda Aviator. Will look into that after a year or so as it'll void the warranty.

The underseat space seems just right for the Vega boolean helmet. When enquired about the mobile charger point, it seems we need to get that fixed ourselves at some shop. Will that not void the warranty?

A nice positive is that the number plates, side stand, the centre rubber mat and the front storage box are all inclusive of the price and not considered as accessories. Except for the mat, the rest are all accessories if purchased from Honda.

Hoping to pick up the scoot either in the evening today or tmrw. We are looking to buy the insurance online from HDFC Ergo instead of what is offered from the dealer which works out about Rs.50 more.

More later when we get the scoot in our hands.

Prajwal
Picked up the scooter yesterday late in the evening. Although I would've preferred picking up the scooter during daytime, it was pretty late by the time we finished work and got home. Since it was a new vehicle, we thought of taking it even if it was a little late.

Price (including accessories) came to Rs.54,560. The insurance did not mention the registration number of the vehicle but the salesman at the dealership said not to worry as it is a new vehicle and the vehicle number will be mentioned on the policy document only during the time of renewal of the policy. The document mentions the chassis and the engine numbers, so I am not worried about it. The insurance company is Bharathi Axa. I tried buying the insurance online from HDFC Ergo, but they don't have Wego in their dropdown list of vehicles, and Bajaj Allianz asks for registration number even though it is a new vehicle. So had to go the manual way.

Attached is a crappy mobile capture of the Wego during the customary pooja at a nearby temple. Will take and upload better shots during the weekend.

We go with the Wego!-img_0113.jpg

The storage box in the front is very small compared to the Honda Activa and difficult to store even a bottle of water. It is just enough to store the toolkit/medical kit and a cleaning cloth. However, the small storage means increase in the leg space and easy to keep the backpack while on the way to the office. The underseat storage space is much larger than the Activa and can take in the Vega Boolean helmet that my wife is so fond of using. The mobile charger needs to be fixed at a nearby car accessories shop. The dealer says he doesn't do it.

Controls are neat but the high/low beam switches are reversely connected. Low beam switch seems to put the beam to high, and reverse for the high beam. Will need to check that over the weekend. The indicators are smooth and the button-press indicator cancel is easy to use. The indicator buzzer is weak, but I hate that anyway, so that's ok for with me. The horn is louder than the weak squeak of the Activa.

Big improvement over the older Activa are the shock absorbers. The telescopic front forks are very effective over bad undulations of the road and the rear ones also seem far more effective. The large 12" wheels make the scooter very nimble to use and causes lesser strain on the engine. The engine feels a little rough compared to the Activa, however, the comparison is unfair, as the Activa had run 15K kms while the Wego is still too new. The engine should smoothen out as the scooter runs more and more.

Will update more over the weekend with better pictures.

Prajwal
Old 25th March 2011, 12:41   #2
BHPian

Re: We go with the Wego!

Congrats Prajwal on the new acquisition.

We have a Scooty (Streak) for couple of years now and happy with it. It was a replacement for our 8 year old Activa (whose weight was becoming a problem for mom). When shopping for new auto-scooters, there were not a lot of choice in the 100 cc category and we choose to go with the Scooty, for its light weight.

With the WEGO, there is atleast some competitor to the Activa!

Does WEGO come with the easy to use center stand.

What do you mean by,
Quote:
The mobile charger needs to be fixed at a nearby car accessories shop. The dealer says he doesn't do it.
Prajwal
The Scooty had a 12v socket with it. Do you have to fit one yourself on the Wego?
Old 25th March 2011, 13:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
Congrats Prajwal on the new acquisition.

We have a Scooty (Streak) for couple of years now and happy with it. It was a replacement for our 8 year old Activa (whose weight was becoming a problem for mom). When shopping for new auto-scooters, there were not a lot of choice in the 100 cc category and we choose to go with the Scooty, for its light weight.

With the WEGO, there is atleast some competitor to the Activa!

Does WEGO come with the easy to use center stand.

What do you mean by,

The Scooty had a 12v socket with it. Do you have to fit one yourself on the Wego?
The Wego does not come with the socket. There is only a placeholder for us to fix the socket ourselves. I'll have to take it to a car accessories or an electrical shop and get it fixed.

The easy-to-use centre stand is very much there and was surprised as to how easy it is to use it. I mean, I just placed a bit of weight on the stand extension, and the scooter simply pulled itself back onto the stand. Hardly any effort required. Huge improvement over the Activa.

Prajwal
Old 25th March 2011, 14:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The easy-to-use centre stand is very much there and was surprised as to how easy it is to use it. I mean, I just placed a bit of weight on the stand extension, and the scooter simply pulled itself back onto the stand.

Prajwal
LOL, definitely easy to use . The target consumers (ladies) must be very happy with it.

Drive Safe. Cheers.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:08   #5
BHPian

@prajwal - congrats on the new ride. I am also planning on picking up a scooter for the wife. Just wanted to check if you also considered the Rodeo and what was the Wego winning factor.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:48   #6
BHPian

I did not consider Rodeo for 2 reasons. One is that I was looking for larger wheels which the Wego has. The only other scoot that has larger wheel is the aviator in the front. The rear wheel of the aviator was still the 10" wheel, however, the engine was a proven one that had withstood the test of time, so was willing to consider that. The other reason is that Mahindra does not have the service network that TVS or Honda have. I am still skeptical about their level of service (not that TVS scores very high anyway).

One more reason that I shied away from the Rodeo was the fact that it is not a very popular scooter, therefore, the chances of spare parts not being available easily is very high. Honda has that problem also but there were other factors that weighed in more.

When I test rode the Rodeo, the ride did not feel as plush as on that of the Wego. Also, considering that my wife would be the primary rider, I was impressed with the easy center-stand. You really have to check that out to see how easy it is. My wife commented this morning that compared to the Activa, the Wego feels like a cycle. That's how easy it was for her. Just that comment gladdened me.

So as you can see, it was more than just 1 factor, it was a cumulative decision that weighed many pros and cons.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2011, 19:04   #7
BHPian

@Prajwal -thanks for the advice, it has helped. will check out the Wego .
Old 25th March 2011, 22:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Prajwal,

Congratulations for your TVS Wego. The scooter is new in market and fairly promoted by TVS.
At the budget of around 55K, Why didn't you considered Honda aviator? The ultimate when it comes to gear less scooters IMO.

Congrats again for your new ride. Ride safe and good luck.
Old 25th March 2011, 22:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi Prajwal,

Congratulations for your TVS Wego. The scooter is new in market and fairly promoted by TVS.
At the budget of around 55K, Why didn't you considered Honda aviator? The ultimate when it comes to gear less scooters IMO.

Congrats again for your new ride. Ride safe and good luck.
Thanks bluevolt!

I did consider the Aviator. In fact, I considered all the scoots in the market. At least most of them, since I left out the scooty.

Among them all, I was impressed with the Aviator, Wego and Access.

Access got ruled out since it was a bit tall for my wife and she wasn't impressed with the handlebar height either. After testing riding it, it got out of the list with the less-than-impressive shock absorbers (although it was still better than the Activa). I came away unimpressed with the HH Pleasure with the bumpy ride and the body panels felt too flimsy.

The one feature I was really impressed with the Aviator was the disc brake on the 12" wheel in the front. Moving about in the city in the large wheel was easy, and the telescopic shock absorbers provided a really plush ride. After speaking to a few friends who owned the Aviator, the single opinion I received from all of them was the sheer shortage of spare parts. Not that I'll need them right away, but in the event of necessity, I didn't want to be left short-changed. A friend's broken indicator cover has been in pending replacement state for over a month. And my Unicorn's front fork and entire visor set replacement took about 5 weeks. I wasn't impressed with that at all.

What tilted the scales towards the Wego? The 12" wheel design is very similar to the Aviator's and the same disc brake can be fitted on this as well. I'll not get into that right now, since the warranty will void if I meddle with all that. But after a year or so, I'll think about it. And then was the weight. Its so light, even my wife commented that its like handling a cycle compared to the Activa, and the Aviator is the same weight as the Activa. The Wego has metal body panels as well, and the extra leg room in front was good (though the storage box is compromised in size a little bit). The scoot still felt solid inspite of being so light, so that helped.

The Aviator, with all the accessories was going past 60K and that was something to consider too.

So the Wego it was. I have tried to be as rational in my reasoning and lack of options in the market helped in rounding down.

Now time will tell if the choice was good or not.

Prajwal
Old 25th March 2011, 23:18   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the buy mate!!.. ..

Whats with TVS's body balance?. Any idea?
Old 26th March 2011, 11:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Congrats on the buy mate!!.. ..

Whats with TVS's body balance?. Any idea?
Well. I don't know the exact reference to the term "body balance" on the Wego, but the scoot is very easy to balance at low speeds. Usually, lighter the scoot, harder it is to balance at low speeds. But this seems quite easy. Maybe that's what they meant by body balance.

I'll be satisfied with the "body balance" of the scoot if I can get the third hand from below the seat to caress my chest! Lol!

Prajwal
Old 26th March 2011, 11:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I heard for better CG, the engine is placed slightly different.

Where is the engine location in the Wego?
Old 26th March 2011, 12:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I heard for better CG, the engine is placed slightly different.

Where is the engine location in the Wego?
The engine is very much under the seat. Perhaps a few cms forward compared to the rest of the scoots, but it is not apparent to the naked eye. What's apparent is the easy balancing act at low speeds, and with pillion too.

Prajwal
Old 26th March 2011, 13:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Wego, mate.
The Wego has received rave reviews from the Pros and Owners alike. So, I am sure it'll serve you just great.
Wishing you a pleasant ownership experience.
BTW, did you compare the Wego's performance against that of the Activa - as in Pick up and Top Speed?
Old 26th March 2011, 21:35   #15
BHPian

Congrats on the Wego! Lot of people are starting to go for this considering the waiting time of Activa and the horrible attitude of Honda. The price seems to be competitive as well. Please try to keep this thread as a running review of sorts. Wishing you and your wife many happy miles on this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks