Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 09:24   #31
BANNED

Re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

So, who is getting it first here? C'mon guys don't forget to post once you receive your CBR!
Old 7th April 2011, 11:14   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
  1. The 250 is primarily designed for developing markets like Thailand and India. It will however be sold in developed countries as a beginer/women's bike just like CBR1000 was designed primarily for developed countries but also sold is India.
I would like to know the origin of this data. Could you please quote the original reference to this data.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:31   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
[/list]I would like to know the origin of this data. Could you please quote the original reference to this data.
Even the SV-650 and or the Kawasaki ER series Motorcycles are used as a learner's / lady's bikes. They are referred as such.

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R abroad is indeed referred as a learner's motorcycle and as a learner's Motorcycle, the CBR 250R should trump as per various reviews.

In case you are referring as to developed and developing nations. Indeed. A CBR shall cost some 50K more in a couple of countries and a R1 will cost 6-7L less abroad as opposed to India.

Once you start frequenting phoren web-sites & forums, you shall see plenty of evidences and references.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:55   #34
BANNED

My friend went to Melbourne showroom after hearing so much ho ha over here and came out disappointed as he felt its very small, I told him may be because of other SBK's standing in front of this bike but he said no I compared it to Ninja 250 and it felt small.
He was planning to buy this after coming back to India but changed his mind to retain his old 2 stroke now.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:59   #35
BHPian

well rd350 in Europe is known as Pocket Rocket but here in india it is a beast to handle. Same goes to the term "learning bikes".

I remember this incident when I was talking to one of my U.S. client who was a bike enthu. I told him about RD350 which he termed as a notorious bike but then told me that his son is learning on a 650cc.
Old 7th April 2011, 13:24   #36
BHPian

Why the complex people? These same guys who drive supposedly big, mature bikes abroad have heart attacks when told to drive in India. So, if someone calls it a small bike, learner's bike, kids bike, woman's bike- let them call it. We have a better idea of what can/cannot be ridden here, and what works and what does not work.
Old 7th April 2011, 15:13   #37
BHPian

Larger engined bikes are not just fashion, but a necessity here in Europe.

The speed limit on motorways (same as freeways, or highways) here are 120 km per hour.

A 250 cc bike like Ninja 250R can do speed, but you would need to keep the revs really high, which after some distance (like say an hour) leaves you feeling that the bike is being pushed to it's limits.

Remember, on a 120 km/h road, almost all vehicles are doing 110-130 km/h, and to stay really safe, you need your bike to be able to do 140 km/h if required (say someone tail gating you, or you need to over take someone in a hurry etc).

This when 600cc bikes comes into picture. I ride a Fazer 600, that does 120 km/h with rpm around 5-6000. I could still crank it up another 4000 if I want and get a blast of power to take the bike to 150/160 or even 200 kp/h, if I ever need it.

Just my 2c.
Old 7th April 2011, 15:58   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Larger engined bikes are not just fashion, but a necessity here in Europe.

Just my 2c.
Agree with you Positron. I would also say smaller bikes are a necessity in India.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Agree with you Positron. I would also say smaller bikes are a necessity in India.
Disagree .You can ride a bigger bike slowly but cannot ride a smaller bike fast/spiritedly .
Old 7th April 2011, 16:47   #40
BHPian

Having said all that, can I also add, there's a huge demand for 250cc bikes in Europe at the moment. This is because the license restrictions here puts anyone on a learner permit, or a fresh license (for the first two years) to ride a bike with less than 33 bhp power. (Larger engine'd bikes can be restricted and used).

But of course, vast majority of the bikes here are 600s, followed by 1000cc bikes. I hope to own a GSXR 1400 some day (http://www.wolfracing.co.uk/large_images/GSX1400.jpg) , or may be a Vmax.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:14   #41
Team-BHP Support

Almost everywhere the 600's are what the mass population likes.

There are speed-limits everywhere and any 1000cc can break them in their 1st gear. (How does 172kmph sound for first for a ZX-10R?)

As a guy of impressionable age, I drooled all over for the 1000's but now I just wish that somehow I get myself the 600-F.
Sure, the cravings might not stop & a bigger garage won't hurt, but practically this is best of both the worlds IMHO
Old 7th April 2011, 18:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Even the SV-650 and or the Kawasaki ER series Motorcycles are used as a learner's / lady's bikes. They are referred as such.

The Kawasaki Ninja 250R abroad is indeed referred as a learner's motorcycle and as a learner's Motorcycle, the CBR 250R should trump as per various reviews.

In case you are referring as to developed and developing nations. Indeed. A CBR shall cost some 50K more in a couple of countries and a R1 will cost 6-7L less abroad as opposed to India.

Once you start frequenting phoren web-sites & forums, you shall see plenty of evidences and references.
I can agree that its the basic model in developed countries because its the smallest CBR. It does not mean it is a ladies bike that way and it is mainly produced for developing countries. I do not need to take anything that some one feels writing their opinion just because he/she has 2500+ posting in this group. Most of my posting I have recorded with substantial evidences or backed up data. I have seen many people posting information with substantial evidences or from solid experiences. I would prefer to see the latter way.

A CBR shall cost some 50K more in a couple of countries and a R1 will cost 6-7L less abroad as opposed to India.
What is the logic here in your mind. If activa was build for developing countries why does it cost more than 50K for a new bike eventhough it was selling much lesser couple of years back.

I know the exact reason why CBR(both 250 and 1000) are costed this way in India. These are concepts called "economies-of-scale"/skim pricing and bi-lateral trade agreement/import duties, brand building and catch-them-young concepts. If you can take my experience, the CBR would ABS would cost over INR 2.5 lacs in just over an year (by late 2012/early 2013). Honda 2 wheelers are pretty good in market research in comparison to Honda 4 wheelers. (Recollect how Honda Jazz was a flop in India).

I would like to see substantial evidences from the manufacturer or from renowned reviewers. Please quote some solid reference for the statement "The 250 is primarily designed for developing markets like Thailand and India."

Last edited by Tommie : 7th April 2011 at 18:43.
Old 7th April 2011, 20:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I I do not need to take anything that some one feels writing their opinion just because he/she has 2500+ posting in this group.

I know the exact reason why CBR(both 250 and 1000) are costed this way in India.

I would like to see substantial evidences from the manufacturer or from renowned reviewers.
Statements like this are inappropriate and unnecessary . This forum is for sharing of knowledge between people with a common passion in a friendly and courteous manner. I think you need to read the Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Introduce yourself before posting anymore disrespectful comments .

BTW it is common knowledge that the 250cc bikes like the ninja 250 , hyosung 25o gt etc are aimed at the novice rider and riders of the opposite sex in america. They are not considered as bikes for riders with advanced skill levels.

The cbr 250r is a concept of "one bike for the world" from Honda . It is a direct competition to the ninja 250r , the unrivaled beginners bike of developed countries till now. The reason it appeals to beginners is because of its small size , easy handling and comparatively low powered engine. The same characteristics that would appeal to women.

"According, to the latest Kawasaki Owners Survey, the Ninja 250 is a popular choice among new riders, and 33 percent of its sales are to women" source "http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?lid=968"

"The world launch of Honda’s all-new fully faired single-cylinder CBR250R was held in Thailand on October 27-28, in what was a huge extravaganza to witness the official unveiling of the Combined ABS-equipped machine.So why was Thailand chosen to produce the CBR250R? According to Mr Fumihiko Ike, the Managing Director for Honda’s Regional Operations in Asia and Oceania, the country -- and the wider economic region it belongs to -- makes a compelling economic sense.

“Although the economic crisis occurred two years ago, much of the world is still trying to recover,” said Ike-san at the launch. “However, here in Asia, we have already broken trough the economic downturn.

“And this occurred much more rapidly than we expected, so the changes taking place in Asia are not just a sign of recovery, but signal a new era of growth.

“At the same time, in other motorcycle markets where recovery is still underway -- such as the US, Europe and Japan -- motorcyclists are looking for more value for money while retaining their desire for sporty recreational models.

“Under such circumstances, we have an opportunity to create new value by providing a new sports motorcycle to the world right here in Asia.” source -
"http://www.bikepoint.com.au/reviews/2010/road/honda/cbr250r/launch-honda-cbr250r-22472intrefed-reviews"
And please try to research a little before asking people to substantiate comments which is common knowledge.
Old 7th April 2011, 20:50   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
Statements like this are inappropriate and unnecessary . This forum is for sharing of knowledge between people with a common passion in a friendly and courteous manner. I think you need to read the Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Introduce yourself before posting anymore disrespectful comments .
Exactly, I was referring to Rule 3. Do make sure that you provide the relevant permission & references / original sources for every piece of material that has been taken from any other website / publication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
The cbr 250r is a concept of "one bike for the world" from Honda . "The world launch of Honda’s all-new fully faired single-cylinder CBR250R was held in Thailand on October 27-28, in what was a huge extravaganza to witness the official unveiling of the Combined ABS-equipped machine.So why was Thailand chosen to produce the CBR250R? According to Mr Fumihiko Ike, the Managing Director for Honda’s Regional Operations in Asia and Oceania, the country -- and the wider economic region it belongs to -- makes a compelling economic sense.
This means that its a world bike and world launch and not just for developing countries but Honda wants to produce at a cheaper location. I tried to make this point clear in multiple postings. Economic sense means that it is cheaper to produce from this location and also export to important markets with minimal additional duty/levies and also shipping costs around the higher volume demand geographies from a central hub which would bring pricing competitiveness in the market. Honda has positioned Thailand as a production hub for both two-wheelers and four-wheelers. If one have seen my earlier post in the same thread, Honda is selling in India cheaper than the producing country(Thailand).

Thanks NUT-case for providing the reference . I wish others were also kind enough to justify/clarify the rationale on why they make such forceful statements which is overruling my statements which I consider as an offence. I do not want to take any such offensive statement without genuine justifications.
Old 7th April 2011, 21:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not need to take anything that some one feels writing their opinion just because he/she has 2500+ posting in this group.
this forum is for sharing information. if you don't like someone's post, no one's forcing you to read it. your statement above was totally uncalled for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks