Team-BHP - Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/107073-volkswagen-jetta-test-drive-review-148.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTM_aravind (Post 3860734)
Has never crossed 9.5 in the city till now! Any other niggles that you have come across?!

If its any consolation, my Jetta gives me about 10-11kmpl and my rapid is the same. It's just the horrible Bangalore traffic. My daily commute is about 10kms from home to office and the average speed is 10km/h!

I am never getting below 11.5. When I don't push it, it goes up to 12.6 in city.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTM_aravind (Post 3860502)
My business partner bought this car about two months ago and I get to drive it quite a few times in a week for about 50kms every time.

Can some owners comment on the FE of the DSG? it's turned into a pain for us as I have never seen a double digit figure normal city traffic !

Have you run-in the car properly?

A car which is not run-in properly and when driven by multiple people (in the initial stages), can sometimes have the symptoms you have mentioned.

Jetta is an absolute work-horse. Take good care of it and it will serve you well.

Just my opinion - no offense please. :)

Quote:

My business partner bought this car about two months ago and I get to drive it quite a few times in a week for about 50kms every time. In just a week after buying the chrome trims around the gear lever came out! A weird vibration from the door panels started, which later turned into a loud chatter over bad roads! A Music system with a mind of its own! The system switches from Radio to Bluetooth music all on its own whenever it feels like with absolutely no input from anyone inside the car!
Actually it seems odd for the problems mentioned. Most of the Jetta owners have not faced this. it could be the lemon we never wanted to land out of all batches. But seriously this sounds like one off. I have this car for 5 years now and i can tell you none of the issue above has bothered me.

Door rattling - There is definitely the black inner door trim that can cause this rattle. The best way to test it is stuff some cloth in the bottle holder on the door trim. If the noise continues then the rattle is probably from the window mirror. If the noise stops you may have to tighten the trim/remove and reinstall.

I have a version which does not have the chrome gimmicks so cant comment on quality. In fact the MKV interiors are far softer than the newer versions so i hardly had rattle issues. In fact the slightest of rattle, rattles me so i usually DIY and remove the door trim, lubricate and refit.

Regarding your fuel efficiency. Its not easy to compare for the normal traffic in Banaglore is probably oh my god traffic in another city. Anything close to 10 looks pretty ok. Dont except 15-18 in traffic conditions with AC blasting.

And also the only way to compare is drive two different cars in the same traffic. But if its pretty new, give it time for first service and you will see some difference.

As i said, this car is actually pretty well finished and is mostly a no- nonsense car. In fact with patience you will understand the car can be opened up by yourself in such a easy way. Engineering with simply clips and snap on will amaze you.

Suspension noise - What noise are you hearing? THUD or Springish noise(toing). The former is standard and you are taking bumps at high speed. The latter is probably weak strut and may need warranty replacement.

Be aware the under body protector is strong and will make a thud or noise which you may think is from the suspension but its not. check how much of beating that under car protector has taken to give you a perspective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chethan B G (Post 3861201)
Have you run-in the car properly?

A car which is not run-in properly and when driven by multiple people (in the initial stages), can sometimes have the symptoms you have mentioned.

Jetta is an absolute work-horse. Take good care of it and it will serve you well.

Just my opinion - no offense please. :)

No offense taken :-)

Well this is not our first or second car, actually between the two of us I think it's our 10th car. We are the only two primary drivers mostly and we both have similar driving styles. So we are breaking in the car pretty much the same way we have other cars. We also drive a new Hyundai Elantra on the days we don't take out the Jetta and we have far better mileage on that (more than the average customer feedback) around 15 with AC driving through silkboard traffic at least twice a day. But I understand that it's a smaller engine.

The door trims seem fine. We sent it out a few days back to the service and the service supervisor told us that some pads was broken inside the front door panels and changed it under warranty.

The suspension sound that I am talking about is the thud sounds, more like what you would hear from a suspension if it is hard and travelling on bad roads. When compared to the Elantra that we drive this seems more noisy when it is working, the suspension sound is quite muted on the Elantra. I am comparing Jetta to the Elantra as they are almost in the segment. With a diff of about 4-5L.

We drive very sedately and NEVER drive over humps or pot holes at higher speeds so its not something hitting the car.

As far as the chrome trim around the gear panel, it was replaced under warranty as well.

The service people are not aware as to why the music system is acting spooky. So no solutions on that end!

And FYI we drive the Elantra 1.6 SX MT and Jetta HL AT (DSG) and I understand that the mileage on the jetta is expected to be lesser than the Elantra. But I feel it's lesser than what most Jetta owners have reported.

I got to know from one of the showrooms that the Jetta petrol is only available in the Comfortline variant. Trendline isn't being offered, and the waiting time is around a month. Is this true?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat4ever (Post 3861349)
I got to know from one of the showrooms that the Jetta petrol is only available in the Comfortline variant. Trendline isn't being offered, and the waiting time is around a month. Is this true?

It is only available in the middle variant. No one wants to maintain stock so it is available only on order

Quote:

he system switches from Radio to Bluetooth music all on its own whenever it feels like with absolutely no input from anyone inside the car!
What system do you have. Only logical reason is broken switch or loose wire connection. Is the BT module built in or those additional ones like older generation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 3861383)
It is only available in the middle variant. No one wants to maintain stock so it is available only on order

Ok thank you.
My next question is, is everyone going for a Diesel Jetta then?
Is the Diesel worth it even running is around a 600-800 km per month?

Do we not go into the traditional method of calculating usage vs cost to see if we go for a petrol or a diesel Jetta? Is the diesel engine that good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bharat4ever (Post 3861391)

Do we not go into the traditional method of calculating usage vs cost to see if we go for a petrol or a diesel Jetta? Is the diesel engine that good?

The jetta diesel will make you drive more, go for longer drives on the weekends :-D. Its a beautiful engine, used also in the more premium Audis also, in a different tune.
Keep 1 or 2 long drives in a month, and 6-800kms will be perfectly alright.

Quote:

The petrol is a very small and compared to competition slightly puny engine.

The TDI is known for its power and delivery, fuel efficiency and now the wonderful emission scandal.

Be aware that the newer Jetta's will come with factory fix and may not have the same power and feel like the old ones and you may have to remap or do software upgrades later after you buy.

TDI engines are known for longevity as well as fun factor to drive for. Their diesel engines were one of the best but now things are all under cloud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VW2010 (Post 3861390)
What system do you have. Only logical reason is broken switch or loose wire connection. Is the BT module built in or those additional ones like older generation.

The system has a built-in bluetooth it was bought it in OCT 2015. Its a brand new car and I can't see why there would be a loose connection or a broken switch in a brand new car! :deadhorse

All the 4 doors in my Jetta were giving rattles. Took it for a stereo install. The guy put in some foam type damping layer inside the doors. Rattling noise is zero now. Can't comment on ice as HU is coming on Saturday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallicar (Post 3861973)
All the 4 doors in my Jetta were giving rattles. Took it for a stereo install. The guy put in some foam type damping layer inside the doors. Rattling noise is zero now. Can't comment on ice as HU is coming on Saturday.

Recently when my service centre had opened up the drivers door they have left something loose inside or i dont know what but it has developed rattling noises for me too, Can you confirm what material was used? Will get it done for all 4 doors just to prevent any future rattles.

Quote:

The system has a built-in bluetooth it was bought it in OCT 2015. Its a brand new car and I can't see why there would be a loose connection or a broken switch in a brand new car!
The earlier jetta BT modules were separate and stored under the driver seat. There is specific wiring required to the RCD510 unit and these wires needs to be plugged in the rear of the RCD510.

There is quite a possibility of loose wires in such a case. Hence wanted to understand what system is being used.

Atleast post a picture to understand if this could be physical wire related issues or may be bug in software.