Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2015, 10:19   #1621
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulsharma2008 View Post
Posting it in this thread since its related to the Octavia

One problem I am facing in my A3

The bi-xenon headlights don't turn along with the steering as seen in the video. No matter what speed I try doing that it just doesnt happen. I had a tough time navigating ghats in the dark due to this.

Perhaps this feature is available in cheaper cars like the Octavia and the Jetta. When I asked my sales advisor, he said that it is not available in Indian Audi A3. Can anyone please help me on this if this can be activated by a VCDS cable?
A car with AFS has AFS module and its associated sensors and a different version of steering module etc. The head lamp unit itself is different for cars with AFS. You can retrofit it in your car though. But cannot be activated on the present setup merely by VCDS coding. After you retrofit all the hardware required, then you can activate it by VCDS coding.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 10:44   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
A car with AFS has AFS module and its associated sensors and a different version of steering module etc. The head lamp unit itself is different for cars with AFS. You can retrofit it in your car though. But cannot be activated on the present setup merely by VCDS coding. After you retrofit all the hardware required, then you can activate it by VCDS coding.
Is the AFS system present in Octavia and Jetta?

I once saw the lights go up and down just after I switched them on. Does this imply that AFS is present in the A3?
Old 7th April 2015, 11:15   #1623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I once saw the lights go up and down just after I switched them on. Does this imply that AFS is present in the A3?
If the lights just go up and down, then its automatic leveling which is standard on all cars with xenon lights in Europe, along with headlamp washers.

Yes the Octavia and Jetta have AFS.
Old 7th April 2015, 11:27   #1624
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Jetta has dynamic cornering lights. When the speed is above 15kph, the head lights turn based on the steering input to a maximum of 15 degrees.

Octavia has AFS. This is much more advanced than the Jetta's dynamic cornering. In AFS, depending on the speed, the beam pattern itself changes. At low speeds, the both the beams are shorter, at highway speeds above 80kph, the beams become longer illuminating longer distance, during rain, the beams become wider etc.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:35   #1625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Jetta has dynamic cornering lights. When the speed is above 15kph, the head lights turn based on the steering input to a maximum of 15 degrees.

Octavia has AFS. This is much more advanced than the Jetta's dynamic cornering. In AFS, depending on the speed, the beam pattern itself changes. At low speeds, the both the beams are shorter, at highway speeds above 80kph, the beams become longer illuminating longer distance, during rain, the beams become wider etc.
Both are AFS, the Jetta is AFS1 and the Octavia is AFS2.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:35   #1626
BHPian

Quote:

Any idea if its present in the A3? I had a tough time navigating ghats in the dark in my A3
Old 7th April 2015, 11:37   #1627
BHPian

Quote:

If your car has AFS, like you saw the head lights going up and down at start up (that is the self test for auto levelling only), it does the sweep test or swivel test too. You will see the head lights swing left and right apart from going up and down. If not, your car does not have AFS. AFS system does this self diagnosis test and throws an alarm if not fully functional and shows on MFD "No Bending Light" or a similar warning to tell you that bending lights are not functional.

Apart from the checks adi mentioned, do check if "Bending Lights" are selected from the car's menu. On VW and Skoda, it is in the MFD. On A3, I'm not sure where you get these settings, on MFD or the Media screen. Where ever it is, this can be de-activated too. So if not selected, it won't function even if head light switch is put on Auto mode.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 7th April 2015 at 11:52. Reason: Added info.
Old 7th April 2015, 11:40   #1628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting it in this thread since its related to the Octavia

One problem I am facing in my A3

The bi-xenon headlights don't turn along with the steering as seen in the video. No matter what speed I try doing that it just doesnt happen.
Couple of questions:

1) did you check your car's manual? Does it mention the feature?

2) does the projector go up-down and left-right at start up?

3) did you keep the light switch in 'Auto' position?

If the projectors move in all four directions, your car is equipped with AFS. For AFS to work, the light switch has to be put in the 'Auto' position and not in any other position.

Dynamic cornering lights are a feature which activate the fog lights in the direction of the activated turn signal or steering input which is limited to under 40 kp/h by default, however it can be increased to 60 kp/h by vcds.

Octavia is equipped with AFS-II which I believe is an updated system over AFS in older cars, and same is also equipped in the A3. So both A3 and Octy have AFS as well as Dynamic Cornering lights.

By default in my experience as far as all VW group cars, whichever car has factory fitted Xenon headlights, is by default an AFS unit, at least since 2008-9.

Take the Laura or Superb from 2009 onwards for example. They all came with AFS in the top end trims.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 7th April 2015 at 11:42.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 11:59   #1629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Both are AFS, the Jetta is AFS1 and the Octavia is AFS2.
Thank you for the correction Akshay. I did not know that Jetta has AFS1.

Quote:
Any idea if its present in the A3? I had a tough time navigating ghats in the dark in my A3
From Audi website, it looks like A3 should have AFS. Like Adi mentioned, AFS works when the headlight switch is in Auto position.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-a3-xenons.jpg

Picture taken from Audi website.
Old 7th April 2015, 12:22   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post

Apart from the checks adi mentioned, do check if "Bending Lights" are selected from the car's menu. On VW and Skoda, it is in the MFD. On A3, I'm not sure where you get these settings, on MFD or the Media screen. Where ever it is, this can be de-activated too. So if not selected, it won't function even if head light switch is put on Auto mode.
There is no option to choose bending lights in the MFD or in the setup menu, at least in the Octy. Only way to activate or de-activate is using the Auto switch. However, you can choose the traffic mode, where it will automatically adjust the light pattern based on Left-hand side traffic or Right-hand side traffic. By default it is set to Left-side traffic in my car.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 7th April 2015 at 12:24. Reason: added content.
Old 7th April 2015, 12:23   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From Audi website, it looks like A3 should have AFS. Like Adi mentioned, AFS works when the headlight switch is in Auto position.
AFAIK, in Audi terminology, Xenon Plus does not mean adaptive front lights. The headlight range control is only for the beam levelling as akshay1234 mentioned.

Not just in India, adaptive lights is not a standard feature on the A3 in Europe also (at least where I am). It is a near-2000 euro option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Guys, we used to all talk of "breaking in" a new car a long time back. Am picking up my Octavia this weekend. Do these new cars still need breaking into or have we evolved into better technology yet? :-)
The manual mentions that the engine has to be run in during the first 1500km. Quoting from the manual:

Quote:
The engine has to be run in during the first 1500 kilometres.
Up to 1000 kilometres
› Do not drive faster than 3/4 of the maximum speed permissible for the engaged gear.
› No full throttle.
› Avoid high engine speeds.
› Do not tow a trailer.

From 1000 up to 1500 kilometres
Gradually increase the speed until you reach the full speed of the engaged gear

Last edited by StarrySky : 7th April 2015 at 12:32.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 13:59   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
There is no option to choose bending lights in the MFD or in the setup menu, at least in the Octy. Only way to activate or de-activate is using the Auto switch. However, you can choose the traffic mode, where it will automatically adjust the light pattern based on Left-hand side traffic or Right-hand side traffic. By default it is set to Left-side traffic in my car.
Adi, I was referring to the pre MIB setup. Your Octy has the new MIB infotainment system. VW is yet to launch their cars with the MIB infotainment system in India. In the present VW and older Skoda, you have the option to turn on or off the bending light within the MFD. I have it in my Yeti too as I retrofitted AFS. May be in A3, it is not there. I am not sure of it. I guess Audi MMI should be similar to the MIB infotainment system in new Octy in India as the car setup is done from the infotainment screen. However, traffic option is there in older gen. MFD too, for using in case you have to drive to a country with opposite side traffic movement as compared to yours. I have it.
Old 7th April 2015, 16:59   #1633
Senior - BHPian

I did not know that Ajay. Any way, found this text on Audi's Technology glossary page.

"Audi offers xenon plus headlights in every model in its line-up, either as standard or as an option. With this technology, a single burner provides both the high and low beam. An aperture is used to switch between the two. The xenon module is swiveled electromechanically for the adaptive light. "

So now its up to Rahul to tell us exactly what he's doing with his A3's Auto light switch!
Old 8th April 2015, 17:03   #1634
BHPian

Friends,
I have got my car back. Yesterday I had given it for rattling sound coming from Sunroof. I have been told that they have done some alignment and applied lubricant. As of now the problem seems to have been solved. I hope it does not re occur. I have also been advised to be gentle and slow while manually opening and closing the sun wiser under the sunroof. According to him winding mechanism in the sun wiser is the culprit.
Old 8th April 2015, 17:30   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Friends,
I have got my car back. Yesterday I had given it for rattling sound coming from Sunroof. I have been told that they have done some alignment and applied lubricant. As of now the problem seems to have been solved. I hope it does not re occur. I have also been advised to be gentle and slow while manually opening and closing the sun wiser under the sunroof. According to him winding mechanism in the sun wiser is the culprit.
Lubrication will only work for a couple of months i am sure. Thats a good excuse they gave you. But how do they justify it from day one of ownership in my case? Only two people are good to talk to at their workshop. One is Mr. Jitendra and second is Mr. Pratik Sharma who is the head of service there. Jitendra is the oldest and experienced in Skoda so he knows most of the times what he's talking about. Pratik is a friendly man and very helpful.

The noise in the ORVM has cropped up yet in your car? It has come back in my car after exactly 15 days when it was 'rectified' by them. They have surrendered to the problem and don't know what else to do. If its not cropping up in newer cars, i shall ask for a warranty replacement.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 8th April 2015 at 17:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks