Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2015, 22:34   #1531
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
A Laura TSI owner here . my TSI has run up 70,000 kms till date. When in Bangalore I've filled Shell Normal Unleaded about 90% of the time. A few times I've tanked up Shell Super for some highway runs thinking that the additives will clean up the injectors. Mileage and smoothness of both is the same and I felt absolutely no difference. Since my car goes out of Bangalore a lot I've also used normal unleaded petrol from BP and IOC. At times when I filled up in very small towns I've felt the engine to be a bit sluggish due to inferior quality/ adulertation etc.. But petrol from reputed BP and IOC have yielded the exact same results as Shell unleaded in terms of smoothness and FE.

A few times I've even tried Speed 97. Speed 97 is 97 octane with additives. It takes the ECU almost a tankful of speed 97 to recalibrate to the higher octane rating, meaning you will find no difference for the first tankful. Second tankful onwards you will wonder whether your car has had a barrel of Red Bull . I would love to fill up 97 all the time. But there are two problems I face : 1) The outlet that dispenses 97 is far off. 2) I keep travelling out of town often where 97 is unavailable. For the engine to extract the juice out of 97 , it needs to be on an exclusive 97 octane diet for an extended period.
This is helpful; can you share what would be the potential impact on the tsi engine of the 97 & 91 octane fuels are used interspersed from time to time? Will there be a negative impact?
Old 13th March 2015, 08:57   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
This is helpful; can you share what would be the potential impact on the tsi engine of the 97 & 91 octane fuels are used interspersed from time to time? Will there be a negative impact?
No, I don't think mixing 97 and 91 or interspersed usage of the two fuels will have any negative impact per se. But you won't be able to derive the benefits of higher octane fuel. The ECU retards timing when it senses the lower octane fuel. It needs time to detect the higher octane fuel. So only sustained usage of 97 octane will allow you to derive its benefits. If you fill 91 and 97 octane alternatively the ECU will treat both as 91 octane in order to prevent knocking.
Old 13th March 2015, 11:16   #1533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
A few times I've even tried Speed 97. Speed 97 is 97 octane with additives. It takes the ECU almost a tankful of speed 97 to recalibrate to the higher octane rating, meaning you will find no difference for the first tankful. Second tankful onwards you will wonder whether your car has had a barrel of Red Bull . I would love to fill up 97 all the time. But there are two problems I face : 1) The outlet that dispenses 97 is far off. 2) I keep travelling out of town often where 97 is unavailable. For the engine to extract the juice out of 97 , it needs to be on an exclusive 97 octane diet for an extended period.
Slightly OT: Santosh, Can you share the details of bunks where you fill Speed 97? I have read about how it improves performance, but have not been able to find an outlet selling Speed 97. Would like to try it in my Vento TSI (At least for few tankfuls to see if I can feel a major difference in the Vento's 1.2 TSI).
Old 13th March 2015, 12:07   #1534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Slightly OT: Santosh, Can you share the details of bunks where you fill Speed 97? I have read about how it improves performance, but have not been able to find an outlet selling Speed 97. Would like to try it in my Vento TSI (At least for few tankfuls to see if I can feel a major difference in the Vento's 1.2 TSI).
Hi Rajeev,

There is a BP Petrol bunk on Residency Road on the left side just after Museum Road junction and before Brigade Road junction. They stock Speed 97 as most of the high end and sports cars of Bangalore depend on them for their 'high octane' needs.

I am on my second tankful of Speed 97 in my GT TSI. And if you ask me, its worth it. As I said, its takes a while for the ECU to adjust to the higher octane. The engine feels smoother, sportier, more eager to accelerate and more powerful in gerenal. If you want to try speed 97, let your tank go very low on fuel and tank up with speed 97. By the time you have used up this tank fully, the ECU will have adjusted itself to the higher octane. Fill up another tank full and enjoy. Now if you fill up 91 in between, you'll have to repeat the whole process again.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2015, 17:10   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Guys, I was going through the price list from the dealer and the Zeal editions are listed as Zeal My15. Does that mean these are the new my15 editions? So can we expect Mirror Link in them?

Rugrags! Can you check for this in your car please?
It will not have Mirror Link. The Bolero radio with Mirror Link is a completely new model with a larger 6.5" display, as compared to the current 5.8" display, and the car shown here has a smaller one(5.8), also the features list is clear that the infotainment system has not changed.
Old 13th March 2015, 17:57   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It will not have Mirror Link. The Bolero radio with Mirror Link is a completely new model with a larger 6.5" display, as compared to the current 5.8" display, and the car shown here has a smaller one(5.8), also the features list is clear that the infotainment system has not changed.
Do you think it will be worth to check and source the new Bolero unit from abroad? Considering Mirror Link solves all issues of navigation and app compatibility. I mean the columbus unit is very expensive.
Old 13th March 2015, 18:28   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you think it will be worth to check and source the new Bolero unit from abroad? Considering Mirror Link solves all issues of navigation and app compatibility. I mean the columbus unit is very expensive.
I have read that it is notoriously difficult (if not impossible) to retrofit parts in the new gen Octavia without dealer help. This is due to component protection enabled in the car. Please do some research to check if a new unit can be installed in the car before putting money on one.
Old 13th March 2015, 18:58   #1538
BHPian

The new ex-showroom price for the 1.8 TSI Elegance is 20,00,950 which bumps the road tax in Karnataka by 1% (> 20L) which is a cool Rs. 20,000. Why can't they reduce the ex-showroom price by just Rs. 950 and pass on the benefit to the customer. This is incredibly poor.
Old 13th March 2015, 19:32   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
This is on the Rapid and not the Octavia. Doesn't the Rapid already come with a camera?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye269 View Post
Hey Karan, you make a good point, the print ad was for the Rapid Zeal and not the Octavia Zeal. Having said that, it's reasonable to infer that the three bullet points in bold are meant to apply to the Zeal family as a whole (Rapid, Yeti, Octavia, and Superb) because of the little asterisk placed on the last entry ("7-Speed Automatic DSG Gearbox*") which clarifies that the auto is not available on the Yeti. My logic is that there would have been a similar disclaimer if the satnav and/or rearview camera were not available across all Zeal editions.

I could be wrong about this, though!!
I stand corrected, the print ad was misleading. Per the official press release (see below), the additional accessories (including satnav and rear camera) are offered only on the Rapid and not the other Zeal editions.

This is so disappointing!!
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screen-shot-20150313-6.59.22-pm.png  

Old 13th March 2015, 20:39   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I have read that it is notoriously difficult (if not impossible) to retrofit parts in the new gen Octavia without dealer help.

Quote:
Do you think it will be worth to check and source the new Bolero unit from abroad

There is nothing that we can't do with the proper tools and software, and dealers can. So I am guessing the install would be pretty simple but expensive. Also sourcing the unit itself will be a huge ask. Mind well that now the HU comes in two parts. One in the glove box and one on your center console. Hence you will have to buy the compatible set and I am pretty sure it will come at a cost. Also it won't be any use selling the current Bolero unit because all Octavias come equipped with one. I don't think there would be many takers at least in India. Considering it's almost 1.5 years since the car was launched, these minor upgrades one expects from mid life face-lift are nothing special. You can get a decent Tom Tom or mapmyidia gps device for 20k and be done with it. Everything else is already there in the HU. Try to feel contended. I don't suspect mirror link will come to India before 2017 in the new Superb.
Old 13th March 2015, 21:31   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing that we can't do with the proper tools and software, and dealers can.
Look at this. Component protection cannot be disabled with even VCDS at this time. It can only be disabled by dealers with an online connection to Skoda factory. The Bolero manual mentions component protection.

Last edited by StarrySky : 13th March 2015 at 21:32.
Old 13th March 2015, 21:37   #1542
BHPian

Guys, regarding the extended warranty, I just got in touch with my dealer here in Pune, Viiraaj Skodaand asked him about the Extended Warranty on the Octavia. He informed me that Skoda has started issuing the same, but only to cars which are being purchased after the issue of this notice from Skoda India.

From the above posts, I have been given to understand that guys who have bought Octavia's before the issue of this notice are still getting it done. I have a funny feeling he is trying to con me here. Could you guys please advise me on this? If anyone has a Notice/ E-Mail w.r.t the Extended Warranty, could you please forward it to me!

Also asked him regarding the Warranty Booklet, he said no Booklet is issued to the Customer. The details of the customer and the car are Updated on the Skoda Website and tracking's are made through the website. (I never really paid attention as to whether I had the Booklet or not). Is this true?
Old 14th March 2015, 12:57   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing that we can't do with the proper tools and software, and dealers can. So I am guessing the install would be pretty simple but expensive. Also sourcing the unit itself will be a huge ask. Mind well that now the HU comes in two parts. One in the glove box and one on your center console. Hence you will have to buy the compatible set and I am pretty sure it will come at a cost. Also it won't be any use selling the current Bolero unit because all Octavias come equipped with one. I don't think there would be many takers at least in India. Considering it's almost 1.5 years since the car was launched, these minor upgrades one expects from mid life face-lift are nothing special. You can get a decent Tom Tom or mapmyidia gps device for 20k and be done with it. Everything else is already there in the HU. Try to feel contended. I don't suspect mirror link will come to India before 2017 in the new Superb.
True that. Looks like a GPS unit it will be. Saw the Garmin system online that is compatible with a bluetooth enabled reverse camera. Will do some more thinking on that and decide. Better I wait to get the car before I get this unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem View Post
Guys, regarding the extended warranty, I just got in touch with my dealer here in Pune, Viiraaj Skodaand asked him about the Extended Warranty on the Octavia. He informed me that Skoda has started issuing the same, but only to cars which are being purchased after the issue of this notice from Skoda India.

From the above posts, I have been given to understand that guys who have bought Octavia's before the issue of this notice are still getting it done. I have a funny feeling he is trying to con me here. Could you guys please advise me on this? If anyone has a Notice/ E-Mail w.r.t the Extended Warranty, could you please forward it to me!

Also asked him regarding the Warranty Booklet, he said no Booklet is issued to the Customer. The details of the customer and the car are Updated on the Skoda Website and tracking's are made through the website. (I never really paid attention as to whether I had the Booklet or not). Is this true?
Untrue. You can get the warranty on the car even if your car was bought before. Write to srinivas.sudhir@skoda-auto.co.in and he will have the dealer call you and do the needful.

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Please avoid submitting back-to-back posts. Use the EDIT / QUOTE+ (MULTI QUOTE) functions within 30 minutes of submitting the first post, instead of posting consecutively. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th March 2015 at 14:57.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 23:53   #1544

Adi & Kapil - I was able to finally convert my booking as well to the Zeal edition & looking forward to this limited edition with black interiors now!
Old 16th March 2015, 09:40   #1545
BHPian

I am wondering if a dedicated GPS unit makes any sense at all these days. Smart phone based Google maps and navigation is much more robust, up to date and has traffic information integrated as well (admittedly needs more accuracy for the traffic part, but it's not that bad even today). You might have to use the caching feature to store maps in some cases where there is no data network reach - Is that the downside that people are trying to avoid by buying Garmin-types?

Quote:
True that. Looks like a GPS unit it will be. Saw the Garmin system online that is compatible with a bluetooth enabled reverse camera. Will do some more thinking on that and decide. Better I wait to get the car before I get this unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks