Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2015, 11:52   #1396
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Thanks Rutvij. The front mud flaps are actually an add on. Strangely true. They are sold for an extra 729. I have managed to get the deal also with a 10% flat finance scheme.

As for Skoda type horn, i meant the harmony dual tones that came with the skodas, typically vag group horn, which was missing from their earlier cars.
I stand corrected. Rear ones come as standard. My finance scheme is also 10%. However they are charging me installments @ 10.25% but they have passed on the benefit of difference in interest upfront.

Horn is definitely different than Honda and Toyota. I will try to record the horn sound and post it here.
Old 13th February 2015, 20:53   #1397
BHPian

Is nobody keen on the Octavia vRS? I think its a the best compromise of comfort and power, and 0-100 in 6.9 seconds means its very fast too, of course I am talking about the vRS TSI DSG!

If launched at around 25 lakh rupees OTR, it will literally fly off the shelves, wont it?

Any idea if Skoda plans to bring it in India at all!?!?!

My father has promised me a 'big brand' car, once I get my management degree, I would definitely give up brand value for a race blue Octi vRS!

Last edited by 599gto : 13th February 2015 at 21:09.
Old 13th February 2015, 21:38   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post

Horn is definitely different than Honda and Toyota. I will try to record the horn sound and post it here.
No need to record, its indeed the old Skoda wind tone Horn, more like on the new Superb. When I got my car, it was offered with the cheaper sounding one, so I upgraded to the Superb's horn immediately. Now however, it comes standard along with those pretty LED tail lights. Have ordered those too at the Skoda dealership itself, should be here next week, costs about INR 5k a piece.
Old 13th February 2015, 22:45   #1399
BHPian

Are the LED lights 5K a piece? or is it the horn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
No need to record, its indeed the old Skoda wind tone Horn, more like on the new Superb. When I got my car, it was offered with the cheaper sounding one, so I upgraded to the Superb's horn immediately. Now however, it comes standard along with those pretty LED tail lights. Have ordered those too at the Skoda dealership itself, should be here next week, costs about INR 5k a piece.
Old 14th February 2015, 00:52   #1400
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post pic of your back light with lights on ? After reading the discussion here on led backlight, I had specifically asked the sales guy about it and he had no clue.

At the time of delivery also when I took the picture of backlight I asked a different sales guy about it being led. He told me that they were not. He seemed to be knowledgeable as he had explained me the features very well and he had visited the plant for training.
Old 14th February 2015, 02:18   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post pic of your back light with lights on ? After reading the discussion here on led backlight, I had specifically asked the sales guy about it and he had no clue.

At the time of delivery also when I took the picture of backlight I asked a different sales guy about it being led. He told me that they were not. He seemed to be knowledgeable as he had explained me the features very well and he had visited the plant for training.
From the picture you had posted of the tail lights and comparing it with @Haren's in his post at #1279, it looks like both of you got the new updated LED ones.
Old 14th February 2015, 08:27   #1402
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Rutvij!
Congratulations on your latest acquisition! You surely have got a beauty in your hands😊.
Talking about the parking sensors, the automatic functioning in the traffic can be disabled from the settings in ICE. Even the lowering of music can be regulated from there itself...
From the pictures you have posted these are undoubtedly the much talked about LED tails which were unfortunately, not a part of the earlier lot. I must say they look magnificent and surely uplifts the rear character of the car.
I hope you enjoy owning this car as much as I do... Wish you miles of trouble free and happy ownership😊
Old 14th February 2015, 08:29   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Keep no doubt, yours is LED. You can see your own tail light, the light bars are thin and brighter at night and day. That's the only difference noticeable. I had to convince them much to believe me that the Octys now come with LED as standard. They could not find the part numbers, so I supplied it to them too. Then they scanned a new car standing in the workshop, and saw its part catalogue, which showed led tail lamps!! Then they inquired at the factory and got the order placed. Now LHS tail lamp is in stock but still waiting for the RHS one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
Are the LED lights 5K a piece? or is it the horn?

The LED tail lamp costs 5k a piece.
Old 14th February 2015, 10:26   #1404
BHPian

Thorough review of a come-back hero, But is it just me or the headlight cluster looks as if borrowed from the Audi A'Family and the rear looks similar to an Audi A4 '04-'05
Old 14th February 2015, 12:53   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakv6 View Post
From the picture you had posted of the tail lights and comparing it with @Haren's in his post at #1279, it looks like both of you got the new updated LED ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hi Rutvij!
Congratulations on your latest acquisition! You surely have got a beauty in your hands😊.
Talking about the parking sensors, the automatic functioning in the traffic can be disabled from the settings in ICE. Even the lowering of music can be regulated from there itself...
From the pictures you have posted these are undoubtedly the much talked about LED tails which were unfortunately, not a part of the earlier lot. I must say they look magnificent and surely uplifts the rear character of the car.
I hope you enjoy owning this car as much as I do... Wish you miles of trouble free and happy ownership😊
Thanks Shreyak.

I have thought about keeping the factory settings for now to figure out what changes I need to make to get what I want. After 15 days of so I will change the setting as mentioned by you. As of now I am just pressing the volume icon on the screen to stop the beeps and get the music volume back to normal.

Quote:
Keep no doubt, yours is LED. You can see your own tail light, the light bars are thin and brighter at night and day. That's the only difference noticeable. I had to convince them much to believe me that the Octys now come with LED as standard. They could not find the part numbers, so I supplied it to them too. Then they scanned a new car standing in the workshop, and saw its part catalogue, which showed led tail lamps!! Then they inquired at the factory and got the order placed. Now LHS tail lamp is in stock but still waiting for the RHS one.
Happy to know that I have got LEDs in the back light. They really look nice. Skoda horn also sounds good. I now recollect that the horn in the test drive car was different and when I asked about it to the sales guy he told me that out of the two horns only one horn was working in the car!

I appreciate your efforts to get into the bottom of LED lights and I am not surprised at all by the response of the dealership. They should have been aware of such changes made to the car particularly when specifically asked about it.

Any suggestions about floor mats? What about 3D mats. Does 3M have them for Skoda?
Old 14th February 2015, 13:17   #1406
BANNED

3M has only NOMAD mats. They're custom cut for each car and are brilliant but expensive. You can do a DIY noodle mat solution as well.
Old 14th February 2015, 19:53   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Go to Kar Shringar near Mithakhali circle, he'll hook you up with 3D mats for the Octavia in either black or beige.
Old 14th February 2015, 20:00   #1408
BHPian

Quote:

The LED tail lamp costs 5k a piece.
Are you sure about this? I ask because even after market POLO Led tail lamps are above 15k a pair. I also inquired about OEM LED tail lamps for Passat B7 and they run for about 40K a pair.

5K per tail lamp , that too LED and from VAG seems like a distant dream. Happy for the Octavia owners though. "Go shine them ala LEDs "
Old 14th February 2015, 23:29   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Are you sure about this?

5K per tail lamp , that too LED and from VAG seems like a distant dream. Happy for the Octavia owners though. "Go shine them ala LEDs "
Yes i am sure. Plus these are not full led units. Turn signal and reverse lights are normal halogen.
Old 15th February 2015, 01:31   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Are you sure about this? I ask because even after market POLO Led tail lamps are above 15k a pair. I also inquired about OEM LED tail lamps for Passat B7 and they run for about 40K a pair.

Quote:
Yes i am sure. Plus these are not full led units. Turn signal and reverse lights are normal halogen.
Adi is right. And you can't really compare prices like that when it comes to these cars and spares. I got Yeti's OE LED tail lamps shipped for just a little over 250 USD from Czech. But same time if you check Yeti's bi-xenon head lamps, they cost a bomb and much higher than even higher segment German luxury cars. It is strange that the costs of these spares are very random and unpredictable.

Most Viewed