Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2015, 12:17   #1381
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
The pricing looks impossible. How can the system be most expensive than the car?
Its 1130 Euro. But I still feel thats expensive.
Old 5th February 2015, 19:16   #1382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapiljolly79 View Post
Its 1130 Euro. But I still feel thats expensive.
It is expensive, no doubt about that. But if you compare the prices at which the older gen. Columbus system was retailing till some time back (Unbelievably expensive!), this is still cheaper. Now even that one is available much cheaper I guess. Used to be much more expensive than this new one.
Old 6th February 2015, 09:45   #1383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
It is expensive, no doubt about that. But if you compare the prices at which the older gen. Columbus system was retailing till some time back (Unbelievably expensive!), this is still cheaper. Now even that one is available much cheaper I guess. Used to be much more expensive than this new one.

Agree. Older Columbus units are still retailing for ₹125,000/-
But it is not as straight forward a swap as the older gen. Now the unit is split in two parts, the cd and Sweet dreams card reader, and the unit itself which is more of just a screen. I don't think it will be a simple switch over, as one would definitely need the glovebox unit with two SD card slots, as one slot will be permanently used for the maps. Still, I prefer using the maps on my phone, and do not enjoy fiddling with the HU while driving on the highway. Hence I do not feel the need to upgrade to the newer unit, well at least as of now.
Old 6th February 2015, 11:48   #1384
BHPian

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I needed more coffee at the time I read it :-)

One feature that I could not see being called out in the car is that the audio keeps playing when you start the car (at signals,for e.g.). In other cars I have driven, it always does a 10-15 second stop and restart during the cranking. I found this a pleasant enhancement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
I guess it's 1130€. There's this strange British tradition of writing the sum using commas instead of decimal points and vice versa which causes these sort of confusions. As far as I understand, €1.000,00 is €1000.
Old 6th February 2015, 19:30   #1385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Agree. Older Columbus units are still retailing for ₹125,000/-
But it is not as straight forward a swap as the older gen. Now the unit is split in two parts, the cd and Sweet dreams card reader, and the unit itself which is more of just a screen. I don't think it will be a simple switch over, as one would definitely need the glovebox unit with two SD card slots, as one slot will be permanently used for the maps. Still, I prefer using the maps on my phone, and do not enjoy fiddling with the HU while driving on the highway. Hence I do not feel the need to upgrade to the newer unit, well at least as of now.
You mean swap between the 2 generations? True, that would not be a good idea in any case. They did not just split it up into 2 units, but changed the dimensions too. I think it is best to go with the the compatible HU sizes only. Between generations, even if it was, say, made like a single unit, they have changed the shape and size of the facia which kinda rules out the plug and play of new gen. radio and nav units on older gen. cars. And anyways VW hasn't developed maps for India yet, which means navigation wont work on OE VW/Skoda HUs as of now.
Old 6th February 2015, 20:29   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
You mean swap between the 2 generations? True, that would not be a good idea in any case. They did not just split it up into 2 units, but changed the dimensions too. I think it is best to go with the the compatible HU sizes only. Between generations, even if it was, say, made like a single unit, they have changed the shape and size of the facia which kinda rules out the plug and play of new gen. radio and nav units on older gen. cars. And anyways VW hasn't developed maps for India yet, which means navigation wont work on OE VW/Skoda HUs as of now.
If VW has not developed maps for India, I guess it defeats the purpose for me to upgrade. I was only interested in the unit if it was a little cheaper, like maybe if they gave it without the cd player as the car already has one, and if it had navigation for India. So thats out of the question now.

The next thing on my mind is whether Mirror link will be offered in the 2015 models. I only hope it will be or they have some update for it. That will really help in keeping the dash free of navigation/mobile holding accessories and charging cables.
Old 6th February 2015, 22:03   #1387
BHPian

Quote:
If VW has not developed maps for India, I guess it defeats the purpose for me to upgrade. I was only interested in the unit if it was a little cheaper, like maybe if they gave it without the cd player as the car already has one, and if it had navigation for India. So thats out of the question now
I would have convinced myself to go for Columbus unit long back without doubt and without wasting time and money on alternative after market HUs, IF India maps were available for navigation on it. Sadly they still haven't come up with it yet. Probably they worked out that this unit is not gonna sell much given the cost, even if they develop India maps and finally decided it's not worth it.
Old 6th February 2015, 22:59   #1388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would have convinced myself to go for Columbus unit long back without doubt and without wasting time and money on alternative after market HUs, IF India maps were available for navigation on it

Dynavin is the way for us Indians! I would get the maps extension done on my by Dynavin which retains the existing unit and adds maps and obd support to it. Abhinav already got it for his Octy and I'll follow suit if he's happy with the performance. The bolero on older cars had great sound quality. Sadly the current gen doesn't.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2015 at 23:07. Reason: fixed quote tags
Old 7th February 2015, 13:34   #1389
BHPian

Guys, got my car yesterday. Super thrilled to receive it. Initial impressions ... just loving it. :-)
rutvij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 08:11   #1390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Guys, got my car yesterday.
Congratulations! You need to post a nice picture of the car, so we can all know which colour it is.
Old 9th February 2015, 15:37   #1391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Congratulations! You need to post a nice picture of the car, so we can all know which colour it is.
Thanks a lot Adi, It's a white colour car. I am posting few pictures taken at the time of delivery and my initial impressions as well.

* Steering is very light and I love it that way for city driving. I haven't driven much on highways yet.

* It is very easy to reach perfect driving positions without much fuss. The seat is very comfy and view from the driver's seat is very good.

* I haven't changed the settings of Parking Censors so now coming to terms with beeping sounds in heavy traffic conditions. I have figured out that this sound can be disabled temporarily by touching the sound icon on the head display unit. I am not sure whether this can be done via steering mounted controls also. Further when these censors are activated the volume of the music comes down. Will have to find a way out of this.

* Car came with the floor mats. I was not sure whether this was a part of Standard Equipments. The sales guy was also surprised to see the mats packed in the boot.

* Mats which came with the car are of good quality but does not cover the whole Floor. It also does not cover the hump in the rear sets. The original floor is of black colour and it gets dirty very easily so will have to search for some other option to cover whole floor area including rear hump.

* No sound while closing the right ORVM. Thank God! I guess the thing is sorted out in newer cars. In the test drive car the tic tic sound was existing.

* I have used only Japanese and Korean cars till now. Therefore coming to terms with the side light stalks being on left side. I still believe in Indian conditions it is better if they are on right side.

* Engine is butter smooth. Power delivery is also excellent. However I guess there are frequent gear changes between 2nd and 3rd gear when the car is driven in heavy traffic at the speeds between 20 and 35 kmph.

* Cabin insulation is excellent. The engine is hardly heard and it does well to isolate the occupants from outside noise. You feel that the horn is not loud enough until the windows are open!

* Bluetooth works very well both for music streaming and voice calls. The sound quality is also excellent. Once you receive the call, the music does not start automatically after the call is finished. This is different from Micra where music restarts automatically once the call is finished.

* Sun roof seem to be dust magnet from the outside due to its colour. I will have to work hard to keep it clean.

* I am eagerly waiting for highway driving.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc_0387.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc_0390.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-dsc_0401.jpg  

rutvij is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 18:24   #1392
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Adi, It's a white colour car. I am posting few pictures taken at the time of delivery and my initial impressions as well.

* Steering is very light and I love it that way for city driving. I haven't driven much on highways yet.

* It is very easy to reach perfect driving positions without much fuss. The seat is very comfy and view from the driver's seat is very good.

* I haven't changed the settings of Parking Censors so now coming to terms with beeping sounds in heavy traffic conditions. I have figured out that this sound can be disabled temporarily by touching the sound icon on the head display unit. I am not sure whether this can be done via steering mounted controls also. Further when these censors are activated the volume of the music comes down. Will have to find a way out of this.

* Car came with the floor mats. I was not sure whether this was a part of Standard Equipments. The sales guy was also surprised to see the mats packed in the boot.

* Mats which came with the car are of good quality but does not cover the whole Floor. It also does not cover the hump in the rear sets. The original floor is of black colour and it gets dirty very easily so will have to search for some other option to cover whole floor area including rear hump.

* No sound while closing the right ORVM. Thank God! I guess the thing is sorted out in newer cars. In the test drive car the tic tic sound was existing.

* I have used only Japanese and Korean cars till now. Therefore coming to terms with the side light stalks being on left side. I still believe in Indian conditions it is better if they are on right side.

* Engine is butter smooth. Power delivery is also excellent. However I guess there are frequent gear changes between 2nd and 3rd gear when the car is driven in heavy traffic at the speeds between 20 and 35 kmph.

* Cabin insulation is excellent. The engine is hardly heard and it does well to isolate the occupants from outside noise. You feel that the horn is not loud enough until the windows are open!

* Bluetooth works very well both for music streaming and voice calls. The sound quality is also excellent. Once you receive the call, the music does not start automatically after the call is finished. This is different from Micra where music restarts automatically once the call is finished.

* Sun roof seem to be dust magnet from the outside due to its colour. I will have to work hard to keep it clean.

* I am eagerly waiting for highway driving.

Here are some pictures:
Congratulations. Eagerly waiting for my tsi.

In the second pic, is that a reflection in the beam or why does it look like only one headlight beam is on?

also send some more details. Like is the skoda horn back? interiors, etc.
Old 10th February 2015, 12:53   #1393
BHPian

Hi. This is the quote I have received from the dealer. Please let me know where else its possible to save a buck.

Model- Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI Elegance AT

Ex- Showroom Price=1966000
Insurance=51000 ( with 0 % Dep.)
Registration Delhi=201905
Handling=10000

Total =2228905

Included Accessories :- front mud flaps, rear trunk protection moulding and side doors moulding.

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 10th February 2015 at 12:54.
Old 10th February 2015, 12:56   #1394
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations. Eagerly waiting for my tsi.

In the second pic, is that a reflection in the beam or why does it look like only one headlight beam is on?

also send some more details. Like is the skoda horn back? interiors, etc.
Thanks Kapil. I hope you get your TSI very soon. I have been told by the Sales representative that they are going to get more kits this year and that will up the production figure and reduce the waiting period.

In the second picture, the lights are off. What you see in one headlight is the reflection of flash.

Frankly I am not aware about what constitutes the Skoda Horn. What I can share is that the horn is loud.

@ Kapil
I guess front mud flaps come with the car. It is good that you are able to get other accessories as a part of the deal. Here in Ahmedabad there was no possibility for any negotiations. May be due to the fact that we have only one dealer here.

Last edited by rutvij : 10th February 2015 at 13:03.
Old 10th February 2015, 13:43   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kapil. I hope you get your TSI very soon. I have been told by the Sales representative that they are going to get more kits this year and that will up the production figure and reduce the waiting period.

In the second picture, the lights are off. What you see in one headlight is the reflection of flash.

Frankly I am not aware about what constitutes the Skoda Horn. What I can share is that the horn is loud.

@ Kapil
I guess front mud flaps come with the car. It is good that you are able to get other accessories as a part of the deal. Here in Ahmedabad there was no possibility for any negotiations. May be due to the fact that we have only one dealer here.
Thanks Rutvij. The front mud flaps are actually an add on. Strangely true. They are sold for an extra 729. I have managed to get the deal also with a 10% flat finance scheme.

As for Skoda type horn, i meant the harmony dual tones that came with the skodas, typically vag group horn, which was missing from their earlier cars.

Last edited by kapiljolly79 : 10th February 2015 at 14:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks