Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 19:45   #2881
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Octavia : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
Please do watch if interested

Very nicely done. That's a very good first attempt at a review. The car also looks very clean and well maintained. Thumbs Up.

Just spotted a minor mistake. You can probably edit it. At around 5:50 you talk about mileage in KMPH and not KM/L.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 21:34   #2882
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So much for the DSG's issues being solved. Take a look at Hemant Bafna's Octavia 1.8 TSI's service history.

Attachment 1654599

Among other things, the gearbox, mechatronics, clutches, flywheel, fuel line, gaskets etc. have been removed / replaced. All in 20,000 km.
That's scary esp since I am considering the 1.8TSI DSG. Looking through the parts list, it does seem the flywheel has been replaced, not the gearbox or mechatronics unit ?
My Lancer Gearbox and original clutch fared well till 140k km in contrast - now clutch/pressure plates and clutch bearing replaced. It handles about half the torque though, but Jap reliability is something else.
lancer_rit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 00:09   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
A demo model or a brand new unit? Also what's the difference in price? I personally would go for the newer one if given a choice and price difference wasn't too big. Dislike the front grill but there are several new features such as the larger touchscreen, colour maxi for, ambient light strips, side sensors etc that make the price difference worth it

Its a brand new car diesel style plus dsg. Currently i am offered 2L discount over phone but i feel if i can stretch a bit more till 4L that would make a sweet deal. Yes the new facelift has many new features but my budget only permits me to get 1.8 TSI DSG style and i am concerned about DQ200 gearbox.
Old 17th July 2017, 11:20   #2884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Yes the new facelift has many new features but my budget only permits me to get 1.8 TSI DSG style and i am concerned about DQ200 gearbox.
One of the upsides of the facelift is that it has the improved DQ200-7F gearbox which first appeared on the new Superb. Hopeful Skoda has fixed all issues by now at least.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 16:13   #2885
BHPian

A friend of mine was actively looking for upgrading his car, 1.8 TSI AT was under his radar. Last week he received the Performa invoice from the local dealership. Going through the details raised few questions/observations.

a. Road Tax is calculated on top of GST, isn't this double taxation?
b. We pay almost 72% of Base price as Tax. It is in fact 41% on road price
Attached Images

RSimonS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 13:26   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
A friend of mine was actively looking for upgrading his car, 1.8 TSI AT was under his radar. Last week he received the Performa invoice from the local dealership. Going through the details raised few questions/observations.

a. Road Tax is calculated on top of GST, isn't this double taxation?
b. We pay almost 72% of Base price as Tax. It is in fact 41% on road price
Shouldn't the 15% cess be calculated on the tax component and not the base price.
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:49   #2887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Shouldn't the 15% cess be calculated on the tax component and not the base price.
The 15% cess works as an additional tax. Hence its over and above the peak GST rate of 28%.

Generally cess means tax earmarked for a particular purpose. In this case its just further revenue generation for the government.
arakhanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 15:04   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Nicely compiled video Sandeep.
Thanks buddy please do share with others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Very nicely done.
Didn't notice that. Will be a bit more carefuly next time around. Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Its a brand new car diesel style plus dsg.
I think if you aren't planning to keep the car for longer than 4-5 years then 1.8 TSI is a no brainer. But anything longer than that then perhaps the TDI will be more reliable.
sandeepsarma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 22:53   #2889
BHPian

My 1.8 TSI just completed 10,000 kms and it's now almost a year since I got it. The oil service message had started showing up and decided to get it serviced today. I must say the experience was very pleasant and there were no signs of what I've read on Skoda service of the past. Things have indeed changed.

I got an email Thursday last week from TAFE Access (Skoda dealer) about an upcoming service schedule along with a contact number for booking an appointment. Since I was anyway planning to get a service done the next week, I got an appointment over phone. I was told to expect a text message on Saturday evening with a reminder and it did come in as specified. I decided to reach the service center a little before the scheduled time of 930am to avoid long waits just in case service advisers start getting busy. The lady at the reception had not yet come in but one of the early bird service advisers walked up to me and said he'll help. Within 5 minutes I was taken for a test drive over a bad stretch of road to test for rattles as well as a good enough road to test the brakes. Once back in the workshop, the car was taken to servicing bay and I was told about all the things that would be done as part of the first service and was also given a cost estimate and a 3pm time of delivery. Soon after I was approached by another staffer with a Yes/No survey that had questions about my experience until the car was handed over for service. A few minutes after I left the service center, I got a text message that said my car was at the service center and Skoda looks forward to providing an excellent and hassle-free experience.

At about 230pm, I got a call from the service adviser that my car was ready and I could pick it up anytime and I was also told about the bill amount. I was pleasantly surprised and decided to pick up the car later in the evening after work. I reached the service center at 530pm and was told at the reception that the service adviser would get the car in a few minutes. When he got the car, it was all washed and the interiors had been vacuumed as well. He opened the bonnet and showed me a clean engine bay as well. All items in the bill were explained and the service cost at Rs. 7,725 and was less than the estimate provided of Rs. 9,000. I use a K&N filter and hence did not need an air filter replacement. After paying the bill, I was once again approached for completing up the second part of the survey that I had filled up while dropping the car. This part of the survey had questions on quality of service and related.

The service adviser accompanied me till the gate along with all the courtesies and told me to contact him directly to book the next service that would be in another year's time. So, at the end of the day, I must say I had a very pleasant experience and it felt especially good after reading about some very negative experiences many have had in the past. A few takeaways from my very limited experience with Skoda service

- Skoda has indeed worked on improving after sales customer experience and it's visible.
- Hoping this is here to stay, I don't have to worry about having to leave my car at the service center for days even for a basic service. It may be a different story if some part should be replaced.
- The service adviser did not at any point tell me about the need to check and replace some random part.
- The service cost is well below what I expected it to be and in fact lesser than what I used to incur on my Swift (post the initial free service) for a full year. I can't remember even a single time when I visited a Maruti service center and they would not add something random in the service sheet just to increase the bill amount.

For now, I can say I'm happy and I sincerely hope this new experience is here to stay and things don't go back to the older ways.
vikramk is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 12:19   #2890
BHPian

Need some help regarding interior cleaning. Am a complete dunce at this presently.
I own a MY2016 Octavia TSi Style Plus. The outdoor cleaning duty is effectively done with microfibre and 3M shampoo (used once a month).
Needed help regarding interior cleaning, as their is visible dirt around the sunroof area, around audio controls, seats (basically everywhere). What is the best solution for inhouse regular maintenance, and any specific products to use for the same?

PS : I apologize if the question has been asked earlier.
Old 31st July 2017, 08:28   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
Need some help regarding interior cleaning. Am a complete dunce at this presently.
I own a MY2016 Octavia TSi Style Plus. The outdoor cleaning duty is effectively done with microfibre and 3M shampoo (used once a month).
Needed help regarding interior cleaning, as their is visible dirt around the sunroof area, around audio controls, seats (basically everywhere). What is the best solution for inhouse regular maintenance, and any specific products to use for the same?

PS : I apologize if the question has been asked earlier.
For interiors there are different products for different parts.

Seats - I use Armor All Leather care gel. (https://goo.gl/FRJ2dw)

Dashboard area - Armor All cleaning wipes (https://goo.gl/MTzQBX). I use these just once in a while and mostly use a microfiber towel for weekly cleaning. A Jopasu mini duster (https://goo.gl/Fqj3ni) should also be good.
vikramk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 18:38   #2892
BHPian

I am looking to buy a used Octavia. It has done around 40k and is 2014 make. Need help on couple of questions:

1. How is Skoda service now after lots of claims of improving it? Esp on the parts availability and time car needs to spend in service center. Is it noticeably better?
2. If the car has completely clean record for 40k, does it seem reasonable that it will not turn out complete lemon with every major part getting replaced? I am fine with some 50-100K ticket expense on 1-2 items considering the depreciated value I am getting the car at. What scares me is multiple such instances happening.

Please advise.
Old 5th August 2017, 17:05   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
I am looking to buy a used Octavia. It has done around 40k and is 2014 make. Need help on couple of questions:

1. How is Skoda service now after lots of claims of improving it? Esp on the parts availability and time car needs to spend in service center. Is it noticeably better?
2. If the car has completely clean record for 40k, does it seem reasonable that it will not turn out complete lemon with every major part getting replaced? I am fine with some 50-100K ticket expense on 1-2 items considering the depreciated value I am getting the car at. What scares me is multiple such instances happening.

Please advise.
Even I'm thinking these days to buy a used one. The same doubt is scaring me too.

But, as per some existing owners' feedback, things are not as worse as before. A couple of my friends have completed more than 60k kms in the car with absolutely no issues at all. So, guess you can trust the Skoda this time
Old 9th August 2017, 12:32   #2894
BHPian

My vehicle is completing 1 year this month, and shall go in for 1st service, after 15th Aug.
Yesterday, while opening the passenger sun visor (not in a jerky manner), the clip broke, and the visor fell in my hands. Is flimsiness of plastic parts a common Skoda trait?
Also, I wish to know whether only clip replacement is possible, or would I have to change the entire visor? If yes, any leads would be highly appreciated.
Your responses would help me negotiate better with the service personnel at Skoda too.

Last edited by sharktale : 9th August 2017 at 12:33. Reason: typo
Old 9th August 2017, 12:46   #2895
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
My vehicle is completing 1 year this month, and shall go in for 1st service, after 15th Aug.
Yesterday, while opening the passenger sun visor (not in a jerky manner), the clip broke, and the visor fell in my hands. Is flimsiness of plastic parts a common Skoda trait?
Also, I wish to know whether only clip replacement is possible, or would I have to change the entire visor? If yes, any leads would be highly appreciated.
Your responses would help me negotiate better with the service personnel at Skoda too.
Please check if it is part no. 4 or 7 from this link.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed