Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2017, 15:17   #2731
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Arrogant dealers? When was the last time you went to a Maruti or Hyundai showroom brother?
Okay, I have not gone to buy a car in the last 4 years but have been to showrooms to check out new launches, hence I don't have an experience of the current scenario w.r.t to booking and buying a car but I get top class service from Hyundai and Ford

Quote:
And again- name one car company in India that has God send dealers and I will publically apologize to you for my statement(s).
Thats why I had said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
One might argue that every manufacturer has a rogue dealership. Brands like Mauti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Honda have multiple dealerships in a city, hence if one is a rogue customer can move on to the other but with Skoda the option is limited to a max of 2 dealerships. For instance Chennai has only one and if that turns out to be a rogue dealer, then a Skoda onwer is left at Skoda's mercy.
Quote:
All dealers are crooks (irrespective of brands)-
Not all dealers but the problem with Skoda is limited no. of dealerships that if one is not giving proper service, then customer has no choice. Not the case with other manufacturers

Quote:
Such is the condition in India that Ford has launched a massive campaign to just change its public perception with respect to service.
Ford is trying to change the 'expense to own' perception and does not have issue with dealerships

Quote:
Things are changing- admit it and lets all move on from that and focus on the Octavia.

Quote:
And as for people not owning a Skoda (for whatever reason it may be), I hope their purchases put a smile as big as ours has on our face.
Safe Driving!
Rohan

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 10th March 2017 at 15:35.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 15:33   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Buddy your comparison is wrong. Would you expect Lamborghini to open up 5 dealerships in each city as well so that there is no monopoly with one dealer.
Your comparison is also wrong brother, you are comparing Skoda that's sells a 20 lacs rupee car with Lamborghini that sells a 2 Cr rupee car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
All the brands that you are mentioning are mass brands with no car priced above 20L, how can you expect a company that sells majorly premium cars with way lesser units maybe a few hundred sold every month all over the country compared to say a Maruti that sells almost a Lac cars every month have multiple dealers in each city.
Skoda is a mass market brand, if it does not have products in A, B1, B2, C1 category, its their problem to figure out.

Ok Lets check out with Mercedes instead of Maruti

Mercedes Benz has 2 dealerships in Chennai - Trans Cars India & Titanium Motors, but only 1 Skoda dealership - Gurudev Motors

Mercedes Benz has 3 dealerships in Mumbai - Shaman Mercedes, Auto Hanger & Metro Motors, but only 2 Skoda dealerships - Autobahn Enterprises & JMD Auto India

Mercedes Benz has 2 dealerships in Bangalore - Akshaya Benz & Sundaram Motors, Skoda too has 2 - Tafe Access & Vinayak Cars
Old 10th March 2017, 15:37   #2733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
When was the last time you really owned a Skoda.
Quote:
I really want to know how many of the people bashing Skoda here actually own a Skoda vehicle?

My only request- (Yes I am brand loyalist because of how good they are to me) please don't bash the brand simply because someone's someone had had a bad experience. No brand is perfect- at least this one is clever!

Rohan
Sirs, if sharing the last name of a not so happy rapid owner who is my own cousin and stays literally next door is closing to owning one, I can say I own one. Ours is just 4 months old and has already been to the service center 4 times for all kinds of reasons. Once the service folks even forgot our vehicle was there when we went for the pick up after 4 days. They took another 3 days after that. So, when we have to go for long tours we give the best handling, tank like built and great cornering skoda a rest and take the boring verna.

When there is an issue its always said the ASS did a bad job but skoda is fine. My question is why should there even be an issue in the first place?

Please don't assume that folks just turn up and bash a company. Why would anyone do that, especially here. We are all automobile lovers, hence we are here in the first place. Its no effort to bash, its just constructive criticism. We want all car manufacturers to have a great time and make great cars. I am so glad to hear that it's going well for you. Its not so well for the rest, hence we make a point. Either skoda takes it as an opportunity to improve or take it as bashing by a few and forget it. I leave it there.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 15:57   #2734
BHPian

Quote:
I would not give an opportunity for a company that

1. appointed a dealer who took money for the car but didn't deliver
2. has a dealer who charged for 2 intercoolers for a Rapid
3. has dealer that changed spare parts worth Rs. 4 lacs

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-now-what.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ed-dealer.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-settled.html

Just type "Skoda dealers" on teamBHP search tab, you'll get to know
Skoda has recruited a bad set of dealers and thats hurting the brand's image

You can't imagine this happening with brands like Maruti or Hyundai since they exercise strict control over the dealership
Well, I had called up the so called Premium Sales Outlet of Maruti, Nexa, to enquire for S Cross 1.6. The executive who picked up the phone happily informed that she will have a sales executive call me back in 30 mins. Err, its being 4 months now, her 30 mins seem like are not yet over. So much so for Maruti's strict control over the dealership. & the Hyundai sales executive who had given a TD of the new Elantra, has not bothered to check with me if I am interested in buying the car till date.

So it's nothing to do with a brand specifically, it is more to do with the competency of the person working there. And today, its a challenge to find a right guy for a right job.

Quote:

When there is an issue with the car, there is a 100% chance that Skoda will have you cornered
Well, when premium cars have issue, the first thing that pop's up on the MID is please visit a service station. Only a nut will then still try to corner a car even after knowing the car telling there's an issue. And even if a person tries to get into the corner, the tons of safety features will keep the car grounded no matter what and ensure that the corner is mitigated.

Meanwhile, there is no single car in this country which is niggle free. To an extent even Honda's which are considered to be niggle free, come with issues.

So right from a Nano to a Maybach issues are always there. As Varun & Rohan pointed out earlier, if your luck is lemons, you may end up getting a screwed car. But if your luck is good, you can get away with it. So let us enjoy whatever we drive/ride.

Let's come back to discuss the Octavia as a car, rather than digging into the past.

Last edited by sawnilrules : 10th March 2017 at 16:03. Reason: editing for grammer
Old 10th March 2017, 16:05   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Your comparison is also wrong brother, you are comparing Skoda that's sells a 20 lacs rupee car with Lamborghini that sells a 2 Cr rupee car.

Skoda is a mass market brand, if it does not have products in A, B1, B2, C1 category, its their problem to figure out.

Ok Lets check out with Mercedes instead of Maruti

Mercedes Benz has 2 dealerships in Chennai - Trans Cars India & Titanium Motors, but only 1 Skoda dealership - Gurudev Motors

Mercedes Benz has 3 dealerships in Mumbai - Shaman Mercedes, Auto Hanger & Metro Motors, but only 2 Skoda dealerships - Autobahn Enterprises & JMD Auto India

Mercedes Benz has 2 dealerships in Bangalore - Akshaya Benz & Sundaram Motors, Skoda too has 2 - Tafe Access & Vinayak Cars
No offence meant buddy but the only point I was trying to make was that it is not right to compare the number of dealerships Maruti has vs Skoda and I do not agree that in the Indian market Skoda is perceived as a mass market brand, I am not saying it is premium but just that their products are not priced in a bracket where sales are enough to have multiple dealers from a business point of view.

Also just to give you an idea as to how they have changed things with regards to dealers and their monopoly, in Mumbai there were 2 dealers a few years ago Autobahn and JMD for some reason JMD was shut in Mumbai and only asked to operate out of New Bombay whereas they got another dealer called Senator in Mumbai. Now Senator and Autobahn were owned by different members of the same family and hence there did exist that monopoly. When things started changing at Skoda, Senator was the same infamous rogue dealership that took money and did not deliver the cars which happened when Skoda asked them to shut shop to break the monopoly and in their last attempt at fooling people they took the money from unsuspecting customers and shut shop. Skoda then got JMD to again start their operations in Mumbai and there now exists proper competition between both these dealers.

As per me 2 dealerships for a brand like Skoda is sufficient for a city like Mumbai. FYI Mercedes also has only 2 dealers in Mumbai, Metro Motors that you mention above is part of Auto Hangar itself. Even BMW and Audi have only 2 dealers in Mumbai, whereas mass brands like you mentioned above Mahindra has 2 dealers out of which one is company owned, Toyota has 4 dealers, and Honda has 3 dealers.
Old 12th March 2017, 08:29   #2736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

Back to Skoda, I guess is that ASS is really Kick-ASS. The delays in procuring parts , inability solve a problem , repetition of the same issues and the most frustrating is that you never have an ASS close by.
Exactly! The ASS of Skoda in Kolkata, is located around 8-10 kms from the edge of the city. Had the painful experience of sending the car twice during a month, just for minor electronic issue solved through a reset. I'll just advise them to keep a Computer in the sales office with just 1 technician who could troubleshoot trivial issues.
Old 12th March 2017, 20:15   #2737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big shoutout to Rahul for sharing - thank you!

See what the dealer has to say
Ridiculous response by the dealer IMO.

Few points of note:

1. In the dealer's link, merely because it has happened to another brand as well is no defense of the brand the dealer is trying to sell.

2. While Skoda claimed "modifications that voided the warranty" - it provides no details of what the modifications are and how they could have impacted the actual technical glitches. Unless I hear more details on this I would not give benefit of doubt to Skoda. As most warranties are worded, even if you upsize the wheels they would be entitled to void the warranty. Does that mean if such a car faces an unrelated failure the company should try to avoid its obligations?

All cars can be subject to glitches - its how honestly dealers and manufacturers respond in these scenarios that set reputations either way!! For some reason, the disgruntlement rate seems to be a lot higher with some like the VAG group.
Old 13th March 2017, 05:02   #2738
BHPian

As per Autocar octavia facelift launching in June 2017. Good news is VRS petrol to be launched in Diwali this year 2L engine, 230 bhp
Hope the VRS doesnt come with the new quad headlamp arrangement!

Link to the news below;
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...17-404419.aspx

Looks like the 1.8L turbo petrol option may be dropped. Checked, even the Skoda UK website does not list this variant any longer.
http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/octavia-vrs-hatch/prices

Last edited by nikhil_pon : 13th March 2017 at 05:10. Reason: added more info
Old 13th March 2017, 11:45   #2739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
As per Autocar octavia facelift launching in June 2017. Good news is VRS petrol to be launched in Diwali this year 2L engine, 230 bhp
Hope the VRS doesnt come with the new quad headlamp arrangement!

Link to the news below;
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...17-404419.aspx
Well, the kits for the current model are limited as globally the new quad headlamp model is starting to be delivered. However, incase in India, if the kits are unsold, then Skoda probably may launch VRS version with current setup. Again, chances are extremely grim. If they had to, they would have launched now only instead of launching the Oynx edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Looks like the 1.8L turbo petrol option may be dropped. Checked, even the Skoda UK website does not list this variant any longer.
http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/octavia-vrs-hatch/prices
1.8 tsi has been discontinued from the entire line up of VAG cars. The new 2017 Octavia will come with following engine line up now

Octavia Petrol (PS/NM)

1.4 Tsi (150/250)
2.0 Tsi (230/350) VRS Variant

Octavia Diesel (PS/NM)

2.0 Tdi (140/350)
2.0 Tdi (200/350) VRS Variant
sawnilrules is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2017, 22:40   #2740
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the kits for the current model are limited as globally the new quad headlamp model is starting to be delivered. However, incase in India, if the kits are unsold, then Skoda probably may launch VRS version with current setup. Again, chances are extremely grim. If they had to, they would have launched now only instead of launching the Oynx edition.

1.8 tsi has been discontinued from the entire line up of VAG cars. The new 2017 Octavia will come with following engine line up now

Octavia Petrol (PS/NM)

1.4 Tsi (150/250)

Octavia Diesel (PS/NM)

2.0 Tdi (140/350)
I have booked a Style Plus 1.8 Race Blue Octavia MY 17 VIN 17 edition which is due for delivery next week. I suppose i should have waited for VRS.
Old 20th March 2017, 09:52   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
I have booked a Style Plus 1.8 Race Blue Octavia MY 17 VIN 17 edition which is due for delivery next week. I suppose i should have waited for VRS.
Congratulations on picking up the 1.8 Tsi, Welcome to the gang.

Well, honestly, going by the scheme of things, the new Octavia is definitely going to be expensive then the outgoing car. Current OTR on Mumbai is 26.15 Lacs. That means if Skoda pushes the envelope further, then the new Octavia especially the VRS variant will easily retail much closer to 30 lac price bracket. Which then my friend, becomes a bit of take it or leave it situation.

Right now, with huge discounts going on the car, the current set-up makes ultimate sense. I agree from power perspective its always more the merrier, however even with 180 HP on tap, this one is a hoot to drive.
Old 20th March 2017, 17:33   #2742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That means if Skoda pushes the envelope further, then the new Octavia especially the VRS variant will easily retail much closer to 30 lac price bracket.
I guess VRS if priced at 30L OTR will be better proposition compared to Octy 1.8TSI (at 26L) due to more power/torque, better dynamics and most importantly gearbox which might be DQ250? and not DQ200.

I am not saying current gearbox is bad, but it seems to be unreliable on few cars. I have driven an Octavia with DQ200 in Ireland which had over 1.5L KM, and it performed flawlessly - cold weather I guess .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
Congratulations Vijay.
Old 20th March 2017, 17:46   #2743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
I guess VRS if priced at 30L OTR will be better proposition compared to Octy 1.8TSI (at 26L) due to more power/torque, better dynamics and most importantly gearbox which might be DQ250? and not DQ200.
I very much doubt if VRS will be priced at 30L OTR. If VAG sells the Polo GTi at 35L OTR, Octavia VRS would be higher or at least 35L OTR.
Old 20th March 2017, 18:23   #2744
BHPian

Quote:

Octavia Petrol (PS/NM)

1.4 Tsi (150/250)

Octavia Diesel (PS/NM)

2.0 Tdi (140/350)
Are you sure? I doubt that there is a VRS coming in the 2.0 Tdi it should be coming only in the petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I very much doubt if VRS will be priced at 30L OTR. If VAG sells the Polo GTi at 35L OTR, Octavia VRS would be higher or at least 35L OTR.
The Laura VRS was launched at a 2L premium over the top end Laura TSi and I think the same price or maybe cheaper than the L&K Laura Tdi if i remember correct. It came with a lot of additional cosmetic and convenience features over the Laura TSi plus an upgraded suspension as well. Even if in the case of the Octavia they bring out the 2.0Ltr engine over the 1.8 Tsi there is no scope for additional features to be added so cost wise I doubt that they would price it as exorbitantly as higher than 35L OTR. I would only assume that it should cost a maximum of 4 to 5L over the Style Plus so 30L OTR sounds about right.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 19:38   #2745
BHPian

And i am back with a few more upgrades on the car! Its a serious bug with these VAG cars! 2 of the upgrades are purely for aesthetics and 1 is a super functional one!

1st- The aesthetics

The rear of the looked a bit heavy to me with the black diffuser-ish inserts on the bumper and its a complete pain to clean and maintain on a daily basis.

Solution- ordered these rather smart aluminium look inserts (faux exhaust ala modern Mercedes ), which enhance the looks subtly in my opinion.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-ujhbkpfhrv6qfqbxguypa_thumb_5eb7.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5eb6.jpg

Second thing i did was to add these bumper inserts. Again, subtle in nature but greatly enhancing the front of the car. It comes in black and I had to get it painted from outside.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5eae.jpg

Now, the most important and functional upgrade!

Added power hood dampers!! These are made by Milotec and have been procured through Skodadop.com . I am still amazed as to how i was able to get these without any shipping issues!

The install was done with friend (and Bhpian) KapilJolly. With the help of the Milotec ones, Kapil was able to fabricate the plates and buy a damper locally to put the same on his Octavia as well.

Some pictures post installation

The Right side of the hood

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5ea4.jpg

The left side

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5ea2.jpg

And some clearer pictures of the install during the day. If you have any queries, fire away and I will be happy to answer them!

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5ea9.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5eaa.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5eab.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5ead.jpg

And 2 pictures of the desi juggad on Kapil's car. Do note that while we did not need the plate for the lower half of the strut (mounted on fender), the plate was required on both sides (left being empty) to align the hood properly- took us an exciting hour to just align the hood!

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5eaf.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-unadjustednonraw_thumb_5eb0.jpg

That is all (for the time being)

Cheers
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 20th March 2017 at 19:47.
RohanDheman is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed