Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2017, 17:34   #2686
BHPian

Got the delivery of the 1.8 TSI yesterday. It's an absolute breeze to drive it around in the city or out on the highway. Did a quick dash on the nice road in Bangalore today just to see how it feels to open up that engine on an open road - It just flies!

If Skoda can make such wonderful and desirable cars, I just can't put my head around to figure out why they can't fix the service experience and DSG gearbox issues even after so many years of operations in India!

Couple of questions I had. Request your help on them.

1. Whats the best way to use the DSG? Both in terms of extracting maximum efficiency and in terms of lessening the probability of having failures of it.

I have read around a couple of threads on team bhp where people have mentioned the trick is to put it on Neutral whenever you stop at a signal or for a considerable amount of time - By reducing the heat generated and thus protecting the gearbox. But, I have also read a couple of posts which say that doing this is immaterial and won't help any cause since the gearbox is smart enough to know that you are idle and make sure that the gearbox is not strained.

I have also read that using manual mode (tiptronic) in bumper to bumper traffic would be a good way to go about it since it avoids slipping of the clutch between 1st and 2nd gears (the first gear is very short and the gearbox wants to shift to 2nd at even the slightest opportunity) - this would increase life of the gearbox. Is this true?

Are there any other 'tricks' or points I should be aware of while using DSG?

2. I have read a couple of people here mention about the battery change from the initial batches of Vartha batteries to the Excide one - Done by skoda free of cost. So, just curiously opened up my bonnet to check what I have. Found mine to have a Sebang battery!

Now, what is this? How has this battery made its way in my car

A couple of pictures attached. Will post more pics in a couple of days.
Old 25th February 2017, 18:13   #2687
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
1. Whats the best way to use the DSG? Both in terms of extracting maximum efficiency and in terms of lessening the probability of having failures of it.

I have read around a couple of threads on team bhp where people have mentioned the trick is to put it on Neutral whenever you stop at a signal or for a considerable amount of time - By reducing the heat generated and thus protecting the gearbox. But, I have also read a couple of posts which say that doing this is immaterial and won't help any cause since the gearbox is smart enough to know that you are idle and make sure that the gearbox is not strained.

I have also read that using manual mode (tiptronic) in bumper to bumper traffic would be a good way to go about it since it avoids slipping of the clutch between 1st and 2nd gears (the first gear is very short and the gearbox wants to shift to 2nd at even the slightest opportunity) - this would increase life of the gearbox. Is this true?

Are there any other 'tricks' or points I should be aware of while using DSG?
Congrats on your new car.

The only way to preserve your DSG is by not abusing it. Listen to the noises (groans and grunts) and make adjustments accordingly. Your driving style and environment will be unique to you and "learn" to extract the best according to the capability of the car is the best way to preserve the DSG.

The reason why you should put it in neutral is to avoid accidental clutch slip at the standstill position. A slightly lower pressure on the brake may make the car think that you want to take off but in reality, youu just want to stand. In this condition, the engine would be given some threshold fuel to take off (by the engine management system's default calibration) and this may not be enough to overcome the slight brake force which you have applied. Hence this would lead to a clutch slip and thus hamper reliability. It's similar to burning your clutch on a manual vehicle by pressing the brake and accelerating hard.

The reason for switching to manual is similar. You don't want to creep and slip the clutch in gear 2. Its similar to trying to pull a car in a higher gear on half clutch vs shifting to a lower gear. The default calibration is to shift to higher gears immediately. Hence shifting to manual will give you a slight advantage depending on your driving conditions.

Rest assured you will get the maximum efficiency by driving with a light foot just below the turbo activation zone (usually around 1800 rpm).

Happy Driving!!
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 21:36   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
Congrats on your new car.

Rest assured you will get the maximum efficiency by driving with a light foot just below the turbo activation zone (usually around 1800 rpm).

Happy Driving!!
Thanks a lot for the detailed post. Will surely try and not abuse the gearbox and try and follow the tips that you have mentioned.

Somehow the photo attachments did not go through since I was posting from phone in my last post. Here are some pics.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20170225_150006_161.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20170225_171328_414.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_9133.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_9138.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_9145.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_9153.jpg
Kimified is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 16:29   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Skoda introduces Octavia Onyx edition at Rs 22.61 lakhs

Prices (Ex-Showroom Mumbai)
22.61 lakhs (1.8 TSI AT)
24.31 lakhs (2.0 TDI AT)

Quote:
Based on the top-spec automatic Octavia Style-Plus variant, the Onyx edition comes with factory fitted kit that includes a set if cosmetic as well as feature upgrades. The vehicle is available in shades of blue, red and white.
Quote:
Where the petrol version costs an additional Rs 1.32 lakh as against the regular automatic Style-Plus variant, The diesel Onyx edition costs an additional Rs 1.44 lakh over the regular version

Source
Old 26th February 2017, 18:45   #2690
BHPian

They have not listed out the features which will come in ONYX edition, the cost of more than 1 lakh rupees for cosmetic upgrade appears steep. Any idea of what the full feature list is other than alloy wheels and coloured ORVM
Old 26th February 2017, 19:41   #2691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
They have not listed out the features which will come in ONYX edition, the cost of more than 1 lakh rupees for cosmetic upgrade appears steep. Any idea of what the full feature list is other than alloy wheels and coloured ORVM
Here are the list of features present on Oynx Edition.
  • Attractive body coloured spoiler
  • Dynamic honeycomb air inlets
  • New Decorative foils and door sills
  • 16-inch Premia Black Alloy Wheels
  • Black Exterior Mirrors
Old 26th February 2017, 19:48   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Here are the list of features present on Oynx Edition.
  • Attractive body coloured spoiler
  • Dynamic honeycomb air inlets
  • New Decorative foils and door sills
  • 16-inch Premia Black Alloy Wheels
  • Black Exterior Mirrors
Is it just me or this feels a complete rip off ? Basically there are no "Usable features" and a hefty amount to pay for this? Not worth it at all, Might as well wait and see what are they going to introduce after this stock clearance edition.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 20:04   #2693
Distinguished - BHPian

Rip-off!!

As per my calculations from the Accessories section of the India website:

Black mirror covers: ~Rs. 3k (assuming for a set)
Side foils: ~Rs. 6k (assuming for a set)
Spoiler: ~Rs. 6k (with painting)
Door sill covers: ~6k if providing Alu silver or ~3k for black plastic ones
16" Premia alloys: Assuming they are roughly the same cost as the OEM Minoris ones
Black grill (TBC?): Assuming same cost as standard grill

So roughly 15/20k worth extra in real life which is roughly what Autocar India is saying the increase will be over the Style Plus variant.
Old 26th February 2017, 20:37   #2694
Senior - BHPian

Whether one considers the features in this Limited Edition or not, but this Oynx Edition & the Regular Octavia are simply Overpriced for me.

If the Dealers are willing to offer discounts in range of 2.5-3 lakhs, then it's acceptable. I know that cars have become expensive over the period of time, but ever since SKODA launched Style Plus Trim, the price have gone up significantly.
Old 26th February 2017, 21:50   #2695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Whether one considers the features in this Limited Edition or not, but this Oynx Edition & the Regular Octavia are simply Overpriced for me.

If the Dealers are willing to offer discounts in range of 2.5-3 lakhs, then it's acceptable. I know that cars have become expensive over the period of time, but ever since SKODA launched Style Plus Trim, the price have gone up significantly.
The main reason i opted for the Jetta highline TDI over the 1.8 elegance was because when octavia was launched the dealers were selling the cars with extra fitment worth 1.5 lakhs which you would HAVE to buy along with the car if you wanted the delivery in weeks time, Or else waiting period had shot more than 6 months once it was launched, On the other hand VW gave me a 1 lakh discount + free insurance which brought the on road price to 20.50 lakh approx and octavia was going over 26 lakhs,

It was simply crazy, Extra fitments were painted alloys, Door stills, LCD screens at the back etc, In short total rip off again! I am not really liking how skoda is current selling their products, Specially after its famous for its after sales.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 07:09   #2696
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some pics.
Truly drool-worthy! I have always loved the Octavia in white as it accentuates all the little cuts and creases to perfection. Take a look at that front bumper from the 3/4 front/side shot and you can see how good it looks.

Would have been my first choice but already have a white Cruze and 2 whites would have been boring. Mine is a Rio Red and needs TLC to get back the original colour after 14 months of BLR traffic.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 17:00   #2697
Distinguished - BHPian

Face-lifted Octavia vRS first drive by Autoexpress UK: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/o...specs-revealed
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:40   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
some pics.

Attachment 1612987
Do you By Any Chance stay In and Around Jayanagar? I see your Car very often on my way to college, Mostly near Delmia Signal, Ring road
Congratulations on Your Buy! Looks Like you've Got one Really Sweet Deal!
If you don't mind, Could You post your Fuel Consumption figures during rush hour Bangalore traffic?
Old 3rd March 2017, 21:56   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow the photo attachments did not go through since I was posting from phone in my last post. Here are some pics.
Is the front parking sensor on the right working fine? Looks like it is pushed in a little bit.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octyparking-sensor.jpg
Old 3rd March 2017, 22:41   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
Is the front parking sensor on the right working fine? Looks like it is pushed in a little bit.
Attachment 1615261
Yes. It's actually pushed in a little bit and not working properly. Awesome attention to detail you have

The first owner actually had tried to put a VRS bumper from Vagtune. But, itseems he didn't like the quality of it and hence got it changed to the original one. So the sensor was not put back properly when this work was done.

I need to get it fixed from Tafe Access. Hopefully, it should not take too much time. I'll get it done on some weekend. I have currently muted down the volume for the front sensors in the settings so that it doesn't bother me much. I also somehow don't find the need to use the front sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishithrao95 View Post
Do you By Any Chance stay In and Around Jayanagar? I see your Car very often on my way to college, Mostly near Delmia Signal, Ring road
Congratulations on Your Buy! Looks Like you've Got one Really Sweet Deal!
If you don't mind, Could You post your Fuel Consumption figures during rush hour Bangalore traffic?
Hey Nishit. Yes. I stay in Jayanagar 4th Block Thanks. We should catch up sometime if you stay around the same area.

The MID says around 7.8kmpl since I last filled it up to the brim. Rough calculation with the tank fuel level indicator on the dash and km run, its around the same range as well. (run around 300km in a week I have had it for - almost all of it in the city)

The MID was actually saying around 6kmpl for the first few days I got it. Guess I got a hang of using the DSG better after that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks