Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 17:54   #2626
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post

you should, initially, they were giving me just one key chain, err I shamelessly asked for one more
Ah those look really nice and am tempted. However 90% of the time, there's no one at the back. Just got married on Dec 31st and not planning on kids anytime soon either lol unless a surprise comes along. :P only 24 years old currently

Not sure about the TPMS, have only just set it yesterday and haven't received any warning yet. Will let you know when it crops up.

I also did ask about the keychain when I went to collect the navigation SD and fit the door sill protectors today. The SA told me that they don't have it and that I can check on Amazon where I'll find some stuff even though they needn't be original. Told him that I tried Amazon but found only keychains with the old logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post

Sandeep/Rohan: if you use Android phones will you check if Android Auto is working on your HUs? I am struggling with Android Auto and my multiple Samsung phones ever since the 6.0 update.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-pic_20170202_175413.jpg

Yes, I just tried Android auto and it works perfectly fine. I'm running on Android 7.1.2 on my Pixel XL. Did you mean 6.0 or 7.0? I have an S7 Edge also and can check it with that if you want. What exactly is the issue you are facing with it?
sandeepsarma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 15:43   #2627
BHPian

Hi guys,

Just a quick question for the guys who bought the octavia recently.

I was told by the andheri East dealer that new Vrs will be launched in April and the andheri west today told me November. Any confirmation on this news?

I'd prefer to wait if that's the case othewise I'm dead set on getting the octavia now!

Happy driving!
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:11   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
A small drop of 2-3 PSI is normal in tyres over a few days/weeks.

Maybe it is time to get your front right checked for a slow leak.... If the MID is always pointing out the front right as having a problem, then maybe there is a leak.

Take it to a tyre shop and ask them to check it thoroughly. What they should do is inflate it to 40 PSI and immerse it in a tub of water.... at 40 PSI, even the smallest leaks should show up.

Also check the neck/valve stem of the tyre. There might be a microscopic leak from there. Also check the valve pin inside the valve stem.
thanks for pointing out Nikhil. Will get it checked over the weekend. However, I have a reservation for that to happen as the car is brand new. Meanwhile I have escalated the same to Skoda dealership, they are going to check on the tpms sensor, just in case if it requires resetting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Hi guys,

Just a quick question for the guys who bought the octavia recently.

I was told by the andheri East dealer that new Vrs will be launched in April and the andheri west today told me November. Any confirmation on this news?

I'd prefer to wait if that's the case othewise I'm dead set on getting the octavia now!

Happy driving!
Hey Derek,

It really depends on whether you are looking for a petrol variant or a diesel variant. VRS variant globally is available in both the avatars. If you are planning to buy the 2.0 tdi, and if the andheri dealer has told you VRS coming in this year end, probably you can look at waiting, considering the VRS variant has multi-link suspension setup at the rear as opposed to the torsion beam suspension in regular diesel cars, which is really sweet, and apart from being a looker, the car is a brilliant handler due to the suspension setup.

However, if you are inclined towards the 1.8 tsi, I would recommend no point waiting for the VRS coz the power bump is of 20 hp over the current one with other setup remaining constant.

Plus knowing that the new 2017 Octavia is already launched globally, I have doubts whether Skoda India will launch the VRS version here, at least with this look.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd February 2017 at 21:37. Reason: merging back to back posts
Old 3rd February 2017, 16:43   #2629
BHPian

Thanks for that, the look doesn't matter that much honestly. What I wud want is a new 2017 car. I guess when the vrs is launched,they will stop sale of the current Octavia isn't it?

Isn't the Octavia due a facelift soon anyways?

The Andheri East dealership told me April btw. Can't trust these guys though.
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:47   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that, the look doesn't matter that much honestly. What I wud want is a new 2017 car. I guess when the vrs is launched,they will stop sale of the current Octavia isn't it?

Isn't the Octavia due a facelift soon anyways?

The Andheri East dealership told me April btw. Can't trust these guys though.

Nops, the current variants continue alongside, just that the VRS variant sits as another variant in the line up. As I said earlier, all new Octavia is already available in the international market. From India perspective, the next car in the line up now is the Kodiaq and then the New Octavia. That means, we can expect the new Octavia only in 2018, as this Diwali Skoda will be readying the Kodiaq for the launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post

I also did ask about the keychain when I went to collect the navigation SD and fit the door sill protectors today.
Can you please post the pic of the door sill protectors? Probably, even I would get them on the car.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd February 2017 at 21:37. Reason: merging back to back posts
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:13   #2631
BHPian

Thanks again.

Could you tell me from where you got your car? And most importantly,why?

I'm still very nervous about putting in so much money after hearing about the issues with the dsg so I want to be positively sure I'm doing the right thing.

Mod Note : Chat and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd February 2017 at 21:36. Reason: u -> you, ur -> your
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:02   #2632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post the pic of the door sill protectors? Probably, even I would get them on the car.
Around 2.5 for the black/grey plastic ones and around 6k for the aluminium ones. Need to place an order with your dealer and they will get it with the next lot of cars from Aurangabad.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-111.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-112.jpg  

itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 01:11   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Check again, it will be Exide International, manufactured some where in the EU.
Did so. Says Made in India. Seems like the good one?

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20170203_154430.jpg

Quote:
Sure, shall do it first thing tomorrow morning. I got the plastic ones as part of the free essential kit. Might go for the metal ones a while later since I'm sure they will add much more of a luxurious feel. I had a metal one on my old Vento as well.

Quote:

Here are the photos dude. This is the front one.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-front.jpg

This is the rear one.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-rear.jpg

Note to mods - Can you please merge this and the previous post? I wasn't able to edit so had to post. Thank you and sorry for the trouble.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th February 2017 at 20:22. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
sandeepsarma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 10:17   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again.

Could you tell me from where you got your car? And most importantly,why?

I'm still very nervous about putting in so much money after hearing about the issues with the dsg so I want to be positively sure I'm doing the right thing.
I bought the car through JMD Skoda, Thane outlet. Apparently they offered me a better discount as compared to what Autobhan guys were offering.

Well, the reason I bought the car, coz at that price point of around 26 lacs, I don't think there is anything else that comes close to what this car offers.

I had three cars in mind

VW Jetta
Hyundai Elantra
Skoda Octavia

Penning down my reasons for not selecting them over the Octavia. Again, purely basis of my requirements, nothing against these cars.

VW Jetta

Well, if diesel is what you are looking at, I think, don't go with the Octavia, Jetta is far better here. Yes it lacks on features which Octavia has to offer, but definitely super seeds the Octavia in the handling department. It's simply fabulous to drive.

However, my requirement was a petrol, and hence dropped it from the list as it was offering 1.4 ltr engine, as opposed to 1.8 in the Octavia.

Hyundai Elantra

Brilliant value for money, but somehow didn't feel special. A 20 odd lac car has to feel special and make you feel special. The earlier Elantra, had that right amount of oomph factor, which this face-lift does not have. Somehow felt disconnected with the car. However when it comes to after sales support, Hyundai is way ahead of the Europeans. No doubt in that.

Skoda Octavia

Well whether it is comfort, convenience, safety,or technology it is pretty much loaded to the brim. After using it for 2 months all I can say is this is the best investment done by me till date. The car completely cocoons you from the outside noise, the amount of data the MID throws is magnanimous, 8 airbags, ESP, EBD, 2nd generation AFS, Multi Collision Braking and what not to save you in those dangerous situations and lastly 12 way electric seats, ability to customize the car through the settings, apple car play or the navigation, come handy when you need.

Yes DSG has issues, there is no denying that. But then show me one car in this country which is near perfect. If you can be cautious while using the gearbox/car by not putting her to test her limits each time you drive, I don't think there should be any issues. And overall Skoda service quality has been improving, and I hope it stays that way.
sawnilrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 13:32   #2635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got the plastic ones as part of the free essential kit. Might go for the metal ones a while later since I'm sure they will add much more of a luxurious feel. I had a metal one on my old Vento as well.
Looks especially classy against the black shade. Just inquired here in BLR - the cost is 2.8k for the black and 5.8k for the aluminium one.

Also, seems the Octavia 'Essentials' pack is for 10k which includes a waste-bin, floor mats, 2 cushions, front flaps and the plastic door sill protectors. Not a bad deal at all but I already have the floor mats and a plastic boot dish.

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th February 2017 at 13:35. Reason: URL
Old 6th February 2017, 14:03   #2636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I just tried Android auto and it works perfectly fine. I'm running on Android 7.1.2 on my Pixel XL. Did you mean 6.0 or 7.0? I have an S7 Edge also and can check it with that if you want. What exactly is the issue you are facing with it?
Haha, I am positively ancient with a Note 10.1 2014 (Lollipop 5.1.1) and a Note 4 (Marshmallow 6.0.1) .

Well, what happens is that the Note 4 consistently returns "Communication Error 8" message after AA is launched. Have checked this using multiple USB cables. Mind you, Apple CarPlay works seamlessly all the time every time!

So either it is a conflict with Samsung's implementation of MM & LL or the HU software needs to be updated. Now Skoda India has conclusively confirmed that there is no update available for the Bolero. That is corroborated by the global update portal: http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/?new_vin=true

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20170206-12.10.17.jpeg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20170206-12.13.09.jpeg

So I am stuck!

The Note 4 stopped working after the MM upgrade in June 2016 and the 10.1 anyway never worked. Have also tried my son's Samsung On5 Pro with the same result. I think its a Samsung LL & MM issue - unfortunately don't have access or enthusiasm to try other brands. Wife won't let me go near her Mi5 which anyway may not work with these Google apps.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-bolero.jpg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th February 2017 at 14:07. Reason: Pic
Old 6th February 2017, 14:22   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Looks especially classy against the black shade. Just inquired here in BLR - the cost is 2.8k for the black and 5.8k for the aluminium one.
Yes, the MRP is Rs 9999. I got the rest of the stuff as well. What is the plastic boot dish? I might upgrade to the aluminium one later. Which showroom did you get the quotes from btw?

Quote:
Haha, I am positively ancient with a Note 10.1 2014 (Lollipop 5.1.1) and a Note 4 (Marshmallow 6.0.1) .
Lol. I do feel that there maybe compatibility issues with Lollipop but Marshmallow should be working fine. And then again, you did mention that the Note 4 was working fine before the update as well.

Like you said perhaps, it isn't compatible with Marshmallow and may need to be updated in order to get working. Mine is the Amundsen so perhaps that is why it works fine with even Android 7.0 and above. I honestly expected 6.X but not 7.X.

Either way, have you tried enabling/disabling USB debugging from the developer options? Perhaps that might be the reason why it isn't showing up?
Old 6th February 2017, 15:44   #2638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the MRP is Rs 9999. I got the rest of the stuff as well. What is the plastic boot dish? I might upgrade to the aluminium one later. Which showroom did you get the quotes from btw?

Lol. I do feel that there maybe compatibility issues with Lollipop but Marshmallow should be working fine. And then again, you did mention that the Note 4 was working fine before the update as well.

Like you said perhaps, it isn't compatible with Marshmallow and may need to be updated in order to get working. Mine is the Amundsen so perhaps that is why it works fine with even Android 7.0 and above. I honestly expected 6.X but not 7.X.

Either way, have you tried enabling/disabling USB debugging from the developer options? Perhaps that might be the reason why it isn't showing up?
Tafe Hosur Road. Tried everything under the sun with my phones but no luck!

Boot dish:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3893237
Old 6th February 2017, 16:52   #2639
BHPian

Quote:
Tafe Hosur Road. Tried everything under the sun with my phones but no luck!

Boot dish:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3893237
Ah! I have the boot dish as well then. Didn't know what it was called lol.

Let me try my Samsung phones and see what comes up. Will keep you posted
Old 6th February 2017, 20:25   #2640
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, did you buy it separately or did it come with the 9999 essentials pack? If the latter then the pack is amazing VFM!

Last edited by itwasntme : 6th February 2017 at 20:31. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed