Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2019, 18:07   #4126
BHPian
 
GauravTaneja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 58
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hey Congrats !! Its a wise decision and a great deal !! But it will be a bit of a long journey from Delhi for the PDI !!
Haha! Completely missed that you're in Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
I got contradicting statements from my dealership regarding my L&K enquiry. Initially I offered to pay some amount like 3lakhs upfront and take delivery next Month availing the offers of this month.
Even though I have booked mine, I have this gut feel that the discounts will go up next month, which is why they want us to sign that letter saying I won't change my mind (in a nut shell). But then I'm generally suspicious and cynical

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Please quote only the relevant bits a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 1st January 2020 at 15:47. Reason: Back to back posts.
GauravTaneja is offline  
Old 31st December 2019, 18:14   #4127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Chennai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 32 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GauravTaneja View Post
Even though I have booked mine, I have this gut feel that the discounts will go up next month, which is why they want us to sign that letter saying I won't change my mind (in a nut shell). But then I'm generally suspicious and cynical
Let's see bro. As per Timothy NCR has a lot of dealers which isn't the case here. In Tamil Nadu Gurudev motors is the sole dealership not only in Chennai but also in a couple of districts around Chennai which actually sucks.
1ManShow is offline  
Old 31st December 2019, 19:03   #4128
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,516
Thanked: 707 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ManShow View Post
Let's see bro. As per Timothy NCR has a lot of dealers which isn't the case here. In Tamil Nadu Gurudev motors is the sole dealership not only in Chennai but also in a couple of districts around Chennai which actually sucks.
Really? I think NCR + a few districts around have only 2 dealers in total. There are 4-5 showrooms owned by these 2 dealers because of the sheer size and travel time between extreme ends of NCR, am I missing something?

Negotiating in NCR maybe 'slightly' better because of 2 dealers, but its not really like Maruti.
SLK is online now  
Old 31st December 2019, 19:28   #4129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Really? I think NCR + a few districts around have only 2 dealers in total. There are 4-5 showrooms owned by these 2 dealers because of the sheer size and travel time between extreme ends of NCR, am I missing something?

Negotiating in NCR maybe 'slightly' better because of 2 dealers, but its not really like Maruti.
Yes there are only 2 dealers in Delhi NCR and between them they have 5 showrooms, but the deals you get from different branches of the same dealer are actually quite different. Each branch of the same dealer competes directly with the others as have their own sales targets and budgets to meet.
I was actually in touch with only a single branch but just visited one more as they had both the Onyx & the L&K on display at the showroom. I wanted to evaluate the two side by side. But in the final price that I received there was a difference of 55K between the two on the L&K TSI.
Timothy is offline  
Old 1st January 2020, 15:40   #4130
BHPian
 
Lambydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KA 01, KL 11
Posts: 290
Thanked: 512 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

For Bangalore customers who are in talks with Vinayak Skoda. Please note that Vinayak is no longer an authorised dealer of Skoda. Skoda India has given a newspaper notification. There is a seperate thread on that.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 19:40   #4131
BHPian
 
Santosh.Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: KA-04/KA-12
Posts: 39
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Sharing the automatic breaking experience(TDI MT Style)
I got a feel of the automatic breaking feature few days back. I was on a visit to my hometown and in village terrains, single lane pot hole ridden curvy and unpaved stretches! Had parked my car exactly in the middle of a small lane and entrance gate to a home so as not to obstruct both paths. Right in front of the car was a big hump of sand. The height of the obstacle was more than 155mm and slopy intersecting the road. I tried to climb my car one tyre at a time on the slope. The front sensors were continuously beeping warning the obstacle ahead and when I accelerated the automatic breaks got activated. There was a thud sound and I had to depress the brakes and turn the steering to deactivate the auto brakes. Since I had not expected this reaction I thought my front bumper had hit the hump etc. To my relief there was no damage and it was all auto brake in play.
Manual says it gets activated at speeds 30 to 210km/hr. Am wondering how it got activated as I wasn't in this speed range! Am very interested to know if any other fellow Octavia'n's had any similar or related experience?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20191230214311_mykoda.jpg  

Santosh.Kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 20:05   #4132
BHPian
 
Lambydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KA 01, KL 11
Posts: 290
Thanked: 512 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
Manual says it gets activated at speeds 30 to 210km/hr. Am wondering how it got activated as I wasn't in this speed range! Am very interested to know if any other fellow Octavia'n's had any similar or related experience?
I was under the impression that auto breaking happens when
1. You are reversing
2. Speed is under 10kmph ( or is it 5)
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 20:12   #4133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
For Bangalore customers who are in talks with Vinayak Skoda. Please note that Vinayak is no longer an authorised dealer of Skoda. Skoda India has given a newspaper notification. There is a seperate thread on that.
Wow ! Read the Thread on Vinayak Skoda. Really glad Skoda had the guts to fix a rogue dealer like him. Hope the company can live up to and deliver on their India 2.0 strategy !
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 20:58   #4134
BHPian
 
Santosh.Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: KA-04/KA-12
Posts: 39
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
I was under the impression that auto breaking happens when
1. You are reversing
2. Speed is under 10kmph ( or is it 5)

Copy pasting from the Manual. After re-reading looks like the auto-braking could activate at any speed . In fact i can now recall auto-brake activation some time back when reversing down a slope unto a flat road!



"Emergency braking at low speed
In the event of a risk of collision in a vehicle speed range of approximately
5 km/h to 30 km/h, the warning light appears on the display and the system initiates automatic braking.
Advance warning
If the system detects a risk of collision, the warning light appears on the display and an audible signal is emitted.
The pre-warning display can occur in the following situations.
▶ If there is a risk of collision with a moving obstacle in a speed range of approximately 30 km/h to 210 km/h.
▶ If there is a risk of collision with a stationary obstacle in a speed range of approximately 30 km/h to 85 km/h.
When the advance warning is issued, the brake pedal must be pressed or
the moving obstacle avoided!
Immediate warning and automatic braking - a moving obstacle
If the driver does not react to the advance warning when in danger of a collision with a moving obstacle, the system briefly applies the brake automatically via an active brake intervention to draw attention to the potential danger of a collision again.
If the driver does not respond to acute warning, the system begins to automatically brake the vehicle.
Automatic braking - a stationary obstacle
If the driver does not respond to the advance warning of the risk of a collision with a stationary obstacle in a speed range of approximately 30 km/h to 60 km/h, the system initiates automatic braking.
Information on automatic braking
If automatic brake intervention is triggered by the system, the pressure in the brake system increases and the brake pedal cannot be operated with the normal pedal stroke.The automatic braking interventions can be cancelled by pressing the accelerator pedal or by means of a steering intervention.
Brake assist
If the driver brakes inadequate with an impending collision, the system automatically increases braking force. The braking assistance only occurs as long as the brake pedal is being firmly pressed down."
Santosh.Kat is offline  
Old 1st January 2020, 23:00   #4135
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,105
Thanked: 37,002 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
Sharing the automatic breaking experience(TDI MT Style)
I got a feel of the automatic breaking feature few days back.
I am not really sure but from what I remember, the Indian Octavia does not have automatic braking at all. It has hill hold and auto park but not auto brake.

If you remember our video from the Octavia facelift thread, the car crashed into another car:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4238075 (A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking)
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:09   #4136
Senior - BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 2,350 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
For Bangalore customers who are in talks with Vinayak Skoda. Please note that Vinayak is no longer an authorised dealer of Skoda. Skoda India has given a newspaper notification. There is a seperate thread on that.
Intrigued. Are they still selling Skoda vehicles? (I ask this since you mentioned that Bangalore customers are speaking to Vinayak Skoda). If they are no longer an authorised dealer, how exactly are they doing that?
arindambasu13 is offline  
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:10   #4137
BHPian
 
Santosh.Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: KA-04/KA-12
Posts: 39
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I am not really sure but from what I remember, the Indian Octavia does not have automatic braking at all. It has hill hold and auto park but not auto brake.

If you remember our video from the Octavia facelift thread, the car crashed into another car:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4238075 (A close look: The 2017 Skoda Octavia Facelift with hands-free parking)
The documentation part is conflicting but I have experienced auto brake for sure! Mine is a MK3 Style Manual transmission. Hill hold is available only with Automatic transmission and Auto Park only with L&K version.
Santosh.Kat is offline  
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:14   #4138
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,105
Thanked: 37,002 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
The documentation part is conflicting but I have experienced auto brake for sure! Mine is a MK3 Style Manual transmission. Hill hold is available only with Automatic transmission and Auto Park only with L&K version.
Documentation is usually not country specific or variant specific. Auto braking usually needs the radar and a camera. Both of which are not present in the Indian Octavia.

The parking speed braking could be something else called maneuver braking.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd January 2020 at 09:17.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 09:22   #4139
BHPian
 
Lambydude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: KA 01, KL 11
Posts: 290
Thanked: 512 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Intrigued. Are they still selling Skoda vehicles? (I ask this since you mentioned that Bangalore customers are speaking to Vinayak Skoda). If they are no longer an authorised dealer, how exactly are they doing that?
The notification from Skoda came recently. I'm sure they will be clearing off some of the stocks they might have in their yard. Or what if they are still accepting booking amounts from customer who are not aware of this development?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The parking speed braking could be something else called maneuver braking.
This is true. What i experienced was manouvre breaking while reversing for which the speed should be less than 5-10 kmph. For full fledged automatic breaking radar is required and this technology is currently not available in India.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd January 2020 at 09:38. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 10:03   #4140
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 233
Thanked: 350 Times
Default re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hi Folks,
I should be getting delivery of my L&K Tsi in a day or so. Are there any specific things I should look for while taking the delivery besides the visual inspection. The reason I ask this is coz the car has probably been lying in the factory & the dealers yard for a good 4+ months as according to the VIN No. the manufacturing is of Aug. 2019. Look forward to your views & here is wishing everyone an amazing year ahead ! Cheers !
Timothy is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks