Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 09:38   #3376
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Skoda is now offering 6 years warranty. I don't think you should consider getting spares from online stores which would lead to your warranty being void.
Agree! Don't 'over-think' it. You are buying a solid car at the end of it's life-cycle and that too a lower variant (read less electronics) with a manual gearbox (no DSG!).

Buy the maximum extended warranty, roadside assistance and AMC (if available) and enjoy it!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 10:25   #3377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Skoda is now offering 6 years warranty. I don't think you should consider getting spares from online stores which would lead to your warranty being void.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree! Don't 'over-think' it. You are buying a solid car at the end of it's life-cycle and that too a lower variant (read less electronics) with a manual gearbox (no DSG!).

Buy the maximum extended warranty, roadside assistance and AMC (if available) and enjoy it!
Just one question. So how does it work? You can buy a 6 year warranty anytime during the ownership before your previous warranty expires?

Last edited by Pancham : 30th April 2019 at 10:29.
Old 30th April 2019, 13:02   #3378
Distinguished - BHPian

4 years is standard now. 5th & 6th EW rates are around 40-50K and is borderline given the failures (or lack thereof) faced in the new Octavias/Superbs. Usually its the water pump that fails or the LED DRLs turn yellow.

DSG anyway Skoda is unofficially taking care of even outside warranty periods.
Old 30th April 2019, 17:19   #3379
BHPian

Quote:
4 years is standard now. 5th & 6th EW rates are around 40-50K and is borderline given the failures (or lack thereof) faced in the new Octavias/Superbs. Usually its the water pump that fails or the LED DRLs turn yellow.

DSG anyway Skoda is unofficially taking care of even outside warranty periods.
Ok. I am planning to anyway go for the extended warranty and it works out to be Rs 63k for a vehicle upto 3.5 yrs old. Any change like water pump or ac compressor (as in my case) are costly. So if an option is available why not opt just to have that Peace of mind and relatively higher resale value if sold before 6 years.
Old 30th April 2019, 19:34   #3380
BHPian

I'm looking to get a Octavia L&K TDI. They also quoted the extended warranty to be around Rs 50k (without GST I guess).

However, the dealer said that I should have an insurance with them at the time of getting the extended warranty. Is it true? The insurance quote from the dealer in Chennai is 2 lakhs (zero dep insurance + EW). I find it excessive.
Old 30th April 2019, 21:24   #3381
Distinguished - BHPian

Unnecessary confusion by the dealers!

There are 2 distinct offerings:

Skoda Shield Plus (http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/news/new...oda-shieldplus) which bundles:
Insurance: 1st year comprehensive motor insurance, and 3 years of third party coverage
Extended Warranty for 5th and 6th year or 1,50,000 km (whichever is earlier)
Assist (24 x 7 Road Side Assistance) for 5th and 6th year

&

Extended Warranty for 5 & 6 year: This can be bought separately! Do not go by what dealers say - they are keen to push the bundled offering.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-ew.jpeg  

Last edited by itwasntme : 30th April 2019 at 21:26.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 15:08   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Just one question. So how does it work? You can buy a 6 year warranty anytime during the ownership before your previous warranty expires?
As @itwasn'tme pointed out, Skoda now offer Skoda shield plus for all new cars. This includes insurance, 3 rd party I durance for 3 years and extended warranty and RSA for 5/6 th year.

Apart from this, for older cars which are still within first 4 years or currently in warranty, you can buy extended warranty by paying an additional amount.
Old 3rd May 2019, 09:38   #3383
BHPian

Installed foot well lights on my Octavia along with Bhpian KapilJolly's Octavia TSI. Big big hat tip to Kapil and Hardeep (NewtonMeter).

The lights are warm white LED's and its a proper factory fit. Coded properly as well so they work like an absolute charm from the settings in the music system

Some pictures of the front. excuse the dirty mats. Have not clicked the rear lights.

Front Driver Side
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-footwell-front.jpg

Front Passenger Side
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_4804.jpg

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:33   #3384

Mechatronic failure! After almost 4 years of I've had a mechatronic failure. Luckily for me it happened just 3 weeks before the expiry of my extended warranty.

The problem however is that its now 2 weeks since I dropped off my car but Skoda has not yet allocated a mechatronic unit for my car - each time I call the dealer, I am told that it's in back order and since it is a VIN specific part that it will take time.

From some of the other comments here I see that it normally is fixed within 7 - 10 days and I am not sure why there is so much of a delay.
Any inputs from members will help. I'm in Bangalore and the car is with Tafe Access

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd May 2019 at 19:21. Reason: Spacing
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:41   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Installed foot well lights on my Octavia along with Bhpian KapilJolly's Octavia TSI. Big big hat tip to Kapil and Hardeep (NewtonMeter).

The lights are warm white LED's and its a proper factory fit. Coded properly as well so they work like an absolute charm from the settings in the music system

Cheers
Rohan
Wow. Looks good. Which year model is your car? So even older cars can have this fitted? Fitted at SKODA ASS or outside? Please also share the cost involved. Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2019, 10:57   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Wow. Looks good. Which year model is your car? So even older cars can have this fitted? Fitted at SKODA ASS or outside? Please also share the cost involved. Thanks.
I have the MY17 car bought in October 2016- same as yours.

Yes- the cut outs are all there. Wiring and clipping to the BCM is all that needs to done followed by coding. Its all documented rather well on briskoda.com

We fitted this in the 2 cars in about 4 hours at Kapil's home. Cost was around 2k for the kit from AliExpress and a rather upset wife at home since this was done on a sunday.

I am in Gurgaon (Cyber Hub) with the car on most days- you can see it in person when you like.

Cheers
Rohan
Old 3rd May 2019, 13:21   #3387
Distinguished - BHPian

Kilometers run? TDI or TSI? Hearing of a mechatronic failure of a MY16 Octavia after qulte some time!
Old 3rd May 2019, 13:50   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
Mechatronic failure! After almost 4 years of I've had a mechatronic failure. Luckily for me it happened just 3 weeks before the expiry of my extended warranty.
The problem however is that its now 2 weeks since I dropped off my car but Skoda has not yet allocated a mechatronic unit for my car - each time I call the dealer, I am told that it's in back order and since it is a VIN specific part that it will take time.
From some of the other comments here I see that it normally is fixed within 7 - 10 days and I am not sure why there is so much of a delay.
Any inputs from members will help. I'm in Bangalore and the car is with Tafe Access
Hi. Can we have more details on this? Like itwasntme mentioned:
1. Which model? -petrol or diesel
2. Kms done
3. How many drivers drive this car?
4. How was your past experience with this dealer?
Old 3rd May 2019, 18:49   #3389

Quote:
Kilometers run? TDI or TSI? Hearing of a mechatronic failure of a MY16 Octavia after qulte some time!
It's a 1.8tsi, done about 30k kms and driven only by me. I'd like to believe that I'm a fairly good driver who treats his car with a lot of respect .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
4. How was your past experience with this dealer?
My experience with Tafe has generally been quite good. In fact I just received a call that I will get my car in another 10 days!!!

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd May 2019 at 20:24. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 4th May 2019, 01:24   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
I have the MY17 car bought in October 2016- same as yours.

I am in Gurgaon (Cyber Hub) with the car on most days- you can see it in person when you like.

Cheers
Rohan
Interesting, would want to try this out. Will pm you and catchup to check this out. Will see if it is as simple as you are explaining. I tend to worry a lot to touch the stock wiring setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
It's a 1.8tsi, done about 30k kms and driven only by me. I'd like to believe that I'm a fairly good driver who treats his car with a lot of respect .

My experience with Tafe has generally been quite good. In fact I just received a call that I will get my car in another 10 days!!!
Like other Octavians mentioned, hearing a Mechatronic failure after a long gap. And you should feel lucky that it happened just before the expiry of warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks