Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 18:43   #2131
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
:-) Think some of the 'modders' in TBHP do exactly that. Only issue I can think of is ensuring the TPMS sensors are carefully taken out each time and fitted into the rims so that a TPMS error doesn't pop up.
I don't think Octavia comes with direct TPMS with sensors in the wheel. The TPMS in Octavia is indirect TPMS which uses wheel rotation data from ABS sensor to detect drop in pressure. As long as the overall circumference of the wheel is maintained within tolerance, TPMS would not be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
Has anyone tried or thought of upsizing the rims to 17 inchers? I am seriously considering upsizing to 17's and in order to not void the warranty I thought I can keep the stock rims with me and since the car will go for service just once a year as my usage is very low I could swap to the stock rims and tyres before sending her for service and change back to the bigger wheels once back from service. Can anyone think of or point out any flaws in my evil/ genius plan ?
When you send the car for regular service, you usually do not have any warranty claims. So, there should be no need to swap the wheels. But God forbid, if you had a breakdown or something and had to take the car to the service station in a flatbed, you would not be able to swap the wheels. The best would be to have a good understanding with the service center and get their co-operation. Warranty usually is approved by Skoda, and if you have a good rapport with the service center guys, they can always get you the warranty claim.

Also, I think changing the wheels will only void the warranty related to suspension components, which anyway are only covered for a specific period beyond which they are considered wear and tear items. Check with your dealer what will be scope of the warranty related to wheel size upgrade and then you can decide.

Last edited by graaja : 5th April 2016 at 18:44.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 19:48   #2132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I don't think Octavia comes with direct TPMS with sensors in the wheel. The TPMS in Octavia is indirect TPMS which uses wheel rotation data from ABS sensor to detect drop in pressure. As long as the overall circumference of the wheel is maintained within tolerance, TPMS would not be affected.
Thanks, you are very right - it is indeed an indirect system rather than the much more elaborate wheel rim sensor-based ones. Probably a better term would be tyre over-pressure or under-pressure / deflation warning system rather than a tyre pressure monitoring system.
Old 6th April 2016, 10:42   #2133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofanwheels View Post
Hi everyone.

Terribly messed up in my mind and I desperately need some help from the gurus here.

I am almost decided upon buying an Octavia, but having heard the terrible tales of DSG failures, I am developing cold feet. Of these transmissions, I understand that DQ200 (7-Speed box) is the more troublesome v/s the DQ250 (6-Speed box).
My 2 cents:
1) I've been using the Octavia TDI AT for 2 years now. Clocked 70k approx. Damn good vehicle.
2) Recently we've test driven some of the premium segment sedans. You will not find this much space in any other car even twice its price. Period.
3) No issues with gearbox, mechanicals or any other such over 2 years. The AC is poor compared to the Japs and we keep having issues of the air circulation system not working. Considering Indian summers, a good point to keep in mind.
4) Our use is mostly on highways and it is a good cruiser and offers good ride and handling.
5) With whatever Skoda interaction I've had over this time two things are certain: Skoda makes good products and there's no competition to compare in this segment if you are looking at a certain exclusive quotient. The A.S.S. is very poor and can leave you
6) Don't plan for long term if you're going to keep a Skoda. Recently, I've had my flywheel etc changed during warranty and I can't imagine what would happen if warranty wasn't there. I'm going to keep the car till I have extended warranty available.

Hope it helps.
ajindal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:18   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajindal View Post
My 2 cents:

6) Don't plan for long term if you're going to keep a Skoda. Recently, I've had my flywheel etc changed during warranty and I can't imagine what would happen if warranty wasn't there. I'm going to keep the car till I have extended warranty available.

Hope it helps.
Hi,
Been using the same model and have clocked half of what you have done. Can you please ellaborate on this point. What all parts were changed and what was the reason for the same?
Since you are from Delhi as well, which service centre are you currently using?
Also, do you have the sunroof rattle as well? The problem crops up only every few kms I get it repaired at the A.S.S.
TIA
Old 6th April 2016, 17:39   #2135
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks, you are very right - it is indeed an indirect system rather than the much more elaborate wheel rim sensor-based ones. Probably a better term would be tyre over-pressure or under-pressure / deflation warning system rather than a tyre pressure monitoring system.
TPMS was one thing that I did think about but I guess your explanations should sort that out.

With regards to warranty since I own the 1.8tsi I cannot completely rule out a flat bed situation and I am aware that only the suspension related warranty would get void but Skoda being Skoda can blame a sticker as a mod job and void warranty so I am concerned is it worth the risk? The car does scream out to me 'better shoes' every time I look at her. But you are right Graaja let me try and build a rapport at the dealers, for the moment I am yet to go in for the first inspection service but will definitely try and get a feeler out from them.

Have not come across any Octavia with 17inchers so just thinking if I am being a little too gutsy.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th April 2016 at 02:19. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 18:09   #2136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Have not come across any Octavia with 17inchers so just thinking if I am being a little too gutsy.
I have a friend who has 17" alloys on his black Octavia. Believe me it looks HOT

But ride would definitely become a little harsh. If this is going to be a family car or if you expect to drive on bad roads you will have to think well before the upgrade.
Old 6th April 2016, 18:55   #2137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Has anyone tried or thought of upsizing the rims to 17 inchers? I am seriously considering upsizing to 17's and in order to not void the warranty I thought I can keep the stock rims with me and since the car will go for service just once a year as my usage is very low I could swap to the stock rims and tyres before sending her for service and change back to the bigger wheels once back from service. Can anyone think of or point out any flaws in my evil/ genius plan ?
Go for it. They won't void warranty for a rim upsize. They offer a 17" upsize from the showroom too (A friend took the previous Superb V6 rims and painted them black), and if those don't void warranty I don't see why you upsizing now should.
Old 6th April 2016, 20:04   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hi,
Been using the same model and have clocked half of what you have done. Can you please ellaborate on this point. What all parts were changed and what was the reason for the same?
Since you are from Delhi as well, which service centre are you currently using?
Also, do you have the sunroof rattle as well? The problem crops up only every few kms I get it repaired at the A.S.S.
TIA
Hey Shreyak_ss
My car has always been serviced at Fahrenheit Moti Nagar except a couple odd times when their A/c machine has been out of order. I've recently (last 15 days) only acquired the sunroof rattle. It may have been present before but wasn't noticable. If you have the patience to go through it, there are it seems a few different solutions for it.

I'll have to check up on what else was replaced since it's been a few days but the biggest concern there was that they didn't have one ready. Probably had it shipped overseas. They also, didn't have the transmission oil. My car's been serviced there since the start and I don't know how it works but they must keep a record of what spares/supplies might be required in the near future for vehicles, especially considering the reminder other companies keep sending of due services and work needed to be done.

Speaking of warranties, anybody got an extended warranty yet? How much does it cost? How long does it secure the vehicle for?

Thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th April 2016 at 02:18.
Old 6th April 2016, 21:37   #2139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajindal View Post
Speaking of warranties, anybody got an extended warranty yet? How much does it cost? How long does it secure the vehicle for?

Thanks
Yes, inquired about it and will be purchasing it before the car completes 2 years. In Delhi/NCR, the rates for EW if car is 12-24 months old is somewhere around 33k. It's less if you buy it within one year of purchase and even lesser when you buy it at the time of purchase.
It's a 2+2 year/1lakh kms scheme.
Here's the document that was sent to me by the dealer.
Attached Files
File Type: docx EXTENDED WARRNTY.docx (17.1 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by shreyak_ss : 6th April 2016 at 22:00. Reason: Added document
shreyak_ss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 10:48   #2140
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, interesting to note that none of the light assemblies are covered and nor is the entire airbag system! Any fatal flaw in these sub-components after the initial 2 year warranty expires will make anyone weep. Wonder why they don't cover these under EW?

On the flip side, don't think I read/heard of any component failures in these either. Any comments fro other Octavia (II/III) owners?
Old 7th April 2016, 13:04   #2141
BHPian

Quote:
I have a friend who has 17" alloys on his black Octavia. Believe me it looks HOT

But ride would definitely become a little harsh. If this is going to be a family car or if you expect to drive on bad roads you will have to think well before the upgrade.
Mine is black too. Would it be possible for you to send some pictures of your friends car, it would help me in making up my mind

Not too concerned about ride quality as the Octavia is not a daily use car and neither is it the workhorse, mostly used in and around the city over weekends and on good roads so do not think the upzise to 17inch would create too much of an issue on the ride quality front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Go for it. They won't void warranty for a rim upsize. They offer a 17" upsize from the showroom too (A friend took the previous Superb V6 rims and painted them black), and if those don't void warranty I don't see why you upsizing now should.
I do not think that Skoda offers up sized alloys through dealers, at least my dealer at the time of purchase had declined. But I hope you are right
Old 7th April 2016, 13:12   #2142
BHPian

I called up to Skoda helpline number about 10 days back with the interest in purchasing the Skoda Octavia. Next day the dealer from R.K Puram called. I requested a test drive. He informed me that he would call back. But I am yet to receive a callback.

Yesterday the Company People called me for the feedback of test drive. On hearing about the poor response from the Dealership the call center executive told me that he would get back to me in a while after inquiring the facts he all never called back.

I had also called the Volkswagen dealership last friday for the test drive of Jetta the sales guy told me he would call back on Monday, but his Monday has not arrived yet..

This lacklusture attitude of Skoda/VW even before the sale of vehicle has put me off.

On the other hand I called up two different dealership with inquiry about the Pajero Sports and their response has been unprecedented for me. The sales guys from both the dealer are polite and quite responsive plus I have been getting courtesy calls from their bosses.
dinesha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:18   #2143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mine is black too. Would it be possible for you to send some pictures of your friends car, it would help me in making up my mind
Apologies mate. I do not have a photo of his car with me, and it may be quite a long time before I meet him again
Old 7th April 2016, 13:38   #2144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
I called up to Skoda helpline number about 10 days back with the interest in purchasing the Skoda Octavia. Next day the dealer from R.K Puram called. I requested a test drive. He informed me that he would call back. But I am yet to receive a callback.

Yesterday the Company People called me for the feedback of test drive. On hearing about the poor response from the Dealership the call center executive told me that he would get back to me in a while after inquiring the facts he all never called back.

I had also called the Volkswagen dealership last friday for the test drive of Jetta the sales guy told me he would call back on Monday, but his Monday has not arrived yet..

This lacklusture attitude of Skoda/VW even before the sale of vehicle has put me off.

On the other hand I called up two different dealership with inquiry about the Pajero Sports and their response has been unprecedented for me. The sales guys from both the dealer are polite and quite responsive plus I have been getting courtesy calls from their bosses.
I have faced the same issue with even Maruti and Honda dealers so I would not really judge the brand on the basis of this. I have had a pleasant dealership experience during purchase as well as after with regular calls from Skoda India directly so I would like to believe that they are trying hard to improve although I have not experienced the service side yet. It is a damn good product and if you are really interested I would suggest you to not give up yet.

Quote:
Apologies mate. I do not have a photo of his car with me, and it may be quite a long time before I meet him again
Oh shucks. Thanks anyways.
vvb8530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 17:36   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
Hi,
What all parts were changed and what was the reason for the same?
I looked it up and only the flywheel was changed at that particular service. But I've had my left side A/c coil replaced after 1 year of running which costs approx Rs. 80k and I've also had my right side DRL replaced due to fogging within the initial 6 months. It's not as bad as some of the other people but the scenario is not rosy either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks