Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 21:19   #2026
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Vagtune is advertising an add-on module to the head unit of the earlier Octavia 3, that will include navigation and reverse camera. The navigation is powered by mapmyindia. Though he claimed earlier that it was similar to the system in the anniversary edition, subsequently is became quite clear that this was a different set up as it did not have car play. However, it appears to be a OEM unit of some sort as it would be installed without any wire splicing. I was told that he has been doing this installation for several cars delivered by Vinayaka Skoda in Bangalore. Does anyone have personal experience with this?
Old 9th December 2015, 21:40   #2027
BHPian

1st service update

Did the first service for my car today. Car has completed 9000Kms. I did not want to have it picked up and delivered. Instead wanted to go to the service station, wait and pick up the car the same day. My sales guy (Vinayak Cars) spoke to one of his service advisor buddies in their Okalipuram service station and helped setup an appointment. I have no idea how they decided to have a service center in such a God-forsaken location. It’s on a narrow one-way street somewhere in the backside of the City railway station. Missed a few turns due to one ways that google wasn’t aware of!

I knew I had 1 or 2 tiny scratches on the car. The service advisor impressed me by finding out 3 more really tiny marks. Then I waited in their minimalistic “customer lounge” and painfully whiled away time while they took the car through various steps with huge intermittent idle periods. In between, I chatted up with the Service Manager (Mr. Rajshekar) who seems to be a very friendly and reasonable person. He also personally checked on the car and made sure things moved swiftly. The oil was replaced. The oil filter too. The air filter and A/c filter were deemed to be good and just got a round of cleaning. Brake pads were observed to be good for another year. Then the wheel rotation, balancing and alignment was done. After a final round of clean up I received the car at 5pm. The tab was about Rs.8.3K.

Overall I am very satisfied with the service quality and helpfulness of the staff. The only pain point is the location of the service station. I hope they move it to a convenient place.

Last edited by Haren : 9th December 2015 at 21:40. Reason: typo
Haren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 17:39   #2028
BHPian

Team, there's a problem. My Octavia 2014 TDI DSG isn't responding to any input. The car hasn't been taken out since Sunday and today, when I opened it for cleaning, all the electricals seem to have gone kaput. It seems like a battery issue. I have called up the RSA and the technician is on his way. The lights and all are working extremely dimly and there is a tak tak noise coming from under the hood periodically. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak.
Old 11th December 2015, 18:19   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
The car hasn't been taken out since Sunday and today,

The lights and all are working extremely dimly and there is a tak tak noise coming from under the hood periodically. Please help.
Issue seems to be a dead battery and should be an easy fix, though it is very unusual for a battery to die out in just under a week

EDIT: you may also be able to claim a new battery under warranty, considering your car is a 2014 model and hence the battery would be well within its 2 or 3 year warranty. Just get it evaluated. If any of the cell is dead, then it will be replaced under warranty. If no cells are dead, then it just needs a full charge.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 11th December 2015 at 18:27.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 19:18   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Issue seems to be a dead battery and should be an easy fix, though it is very unusual for a battery to die out in just under a week
That is what I feel. Thanks.

The problem is the technician that the RSA was going to send at my place is not available due to some payment issues among them. They are offering me to tow my vehicle to the dealership which is again 80 kms away. I have asked them to let me talk to my own technician so that I can atleast get it jump started. To which they agreed and said they can reimburse me an amount of upto ₹300 for the technician charges.

My technician visited and tried to jump start the vehicle but in vain. He has taken the battery to his garage for charging it and would be coming back tomorrow afternoon. Let's see what happens. Sunday I am planning to take the car to workshop for some work. Should I ask for a battery replacement then?

Also, my car is like only taken out on weekends and for the rest of the time stays at home. Could this have caused battery to die out so soon? Or there might be some other reason?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak
Old 11th December 2015, 19:28   #2031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, my car is like only taken out on weekends and for the rest of the time stays at home. Could this have caused battery to die out so soon? Or there might be some other reason?
When you use the car on weekends, if the drives are long then it would sufficiently charge the battery.
Short drives only on weekends may drain the battery, though still they would only drain and not die out.
Hopefully after a full night charge things should be fine.

Quote:
One more thing, is the warranty at stake since I am getting the charging done from an FNG and not at their workshop?
Battery warranty is not on Skoda, and they will themselves claim it from the Battery manufacturer. I do not think this should be an issue.
Would you feel the need to mention about the charging of battery at the FNG?

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 11th December 2015 at 19:35.
Old 11th December 2015, 19:30   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
When you use the car on weekends, if the drives are long then it would sufficiently charge the battery.
Short drives only on weekends may drain the battery, though still they would only drain and not die out.
Hopefully after a full night charge things should be fine.
The drive is almost 350-400 kms every weekend. So I believe that keeps the things working fine.

One more thing, is the warranty at stake since I am getting the charging done from an FNG and not at their workshop?
Old 11th December 2015, 23:24   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The drive is almost 350-400 kms every weekend. So I believe that keeps the things working fine.

They have a special devices which they connect to the battery teaming directly and it prints out a small report. That shows if any cell is bad, and if yes, battery will be replaced. However, standard warranty policy is installing a new battery, keeping it there for at least 12 hours, take a scan again, and then submit a report to the headquarters or battery manufacturers I am not sure. This doesn't cost any money, as standard warranty is 2 years. But consumes lot of time.

You are not liable to tell them how you managed to start the car an drive to their service station. Just go like nothing happened.

Is your driver side power window working in auto mode? If not, it's a dead battery. You can check state of charge in the MFD. Turn on ignition, then turn off. When the time is displayed in the screen, push the trip rest button, it will show two menus, "Time" and then if you keep the button pressed for longer, it will show "Battery". That will show you a % value of charge in the battery. Pls note this action is by a single long hold of the trip reset button in the MFD.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 23:43   #2034
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haren View Post
1st service update

I knew I had 1 or 2 tiny scratches on the car. The service advisor impressed me by finding out 3 more really tiny marks. Then I waited in their minimalistic “customer lounge” and painfully whiled away time while they took the car through various steps with huge intermittent idle periods. In between, I chatted up with the Service Manager (Mr. Rajshekar) who seems to be a very friendly and reasonable person. He also personally checked on the car and made sure things moved swiftly. The oil was replaced. The oil filter too. The air filter and A/c filter were deemed to be good and just got a round of cleaning. Brake pads were observed to be good for another year. Then the wheel rotation, balancing and alignment was done. After a final round of clean up I received the car at 5pm. The tab was about Rs.8.3K.

Overall I am very satisfied with the service quality and helpfulness of the staff. The only pain point is the location of the service station. I hope they move it to a convenient place.
You really should replace the air filter.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th December 2015 at 16:21. Reason: Trimmed the Quoted Post. Please avoid quoting the entire post as it inconveniences small-screen / mobile users. Thanks.
Old 12th December 2015, 01:23   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
They have a special devices which they connect to the battery teaming directly and it prints out a small report. That shows if any cell is bad, and if yes, battery will be replaced. However, standard warranty policy is installing a new battery, keeping it there for at least 12 hours, take a scan again, and then submit a report to the headquarters or battery manufacturers I am not sure. This doesn't cost any money, as standard warranty is 2 years. But consumes lot of time.

You are not liable to tell them how you managed to start the car an drive to their service station. Just go like nothing happened.

Is your driver side power window working in auto mode? If not, it's a dead battery. You can check state of charge in the MFD. Turn on ignition, then turn off. When the time is displayed in the screen, push the trip rest button, it will show two menus, "Time" and then if you keep the button pressed for longer, it will show "Battery". That will show you a % value of charge in the battery. Pls note this action is by a single long hold of the trip reset button in the MFD.
Thanks sir. It seems to be quite a long procedure. I am planning to make a visit to the service center on Sunday. Isn't it possible that they do it on that day itself? It is 80kms from my place and leaving my car at their service center would be the last option I would opt for.
The thing is *nothing* worked in my car- I unlocked it, the doors opened- that's all. The mirrors didn't unfold, the auto lights were glowing very very dim and yes, even the boot couldn't be opened. So checking the state of charge wasn't even thinkable in that situation. Right now, I have sent my battery to my reliable FNG and have strictly told him not to play with it in any way and he will put it on charge tomorrow morning for 2 hours. I just hope that the battery could come back to life and I don't have to tow my dearest.
Old 12th December 2015, 14:33   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Not entirely implausible.

In fact, it could just be the vRS for all we know!
Skoda, despite all the bad publicity with your A.S.S., take my money now!

The Octavia sales seems to be picking up the last few months and I really hope they are reconsidering launching the vRS. DSG in Petrol, pretty please.
Old 12th December 2015, 15:47   #2037
BHPian

The battery came from my FNG. First they started the car using their own service battery and then affixed the car's original battery. The car threw up number of errors but after 2 kms of driving, they went away. There is this one 'Exhaust Inspection System' light that is not going away. I was asked to let the car run for 30 mins in order to charge the battery. After that time, I restarted the car and it cranked readily. However that light is still glowing. I am planning to visit the service Center tomorrow and get both this light and battery checked. Currently the State of Charge of the battery is 100% according to the MFD. Any idea about this light?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak.

Quote:
The battery came from my FNG. First they started the car using their own service battery and then affixed the car's original battery. The car threw up number of errors but after 2 kms of driving, they went away. There is this one 'Exhaust Inspection System' light that is not going away. I was asked to let the car run for 30 mins in order to charge the battery. After that time, I restarted the car and it cranked readily. However that light is still glowing. I am planning to visit the service Center tomorrow and get both this light and battery checked. Currently the State of Charge of the battery is 100% according to the MFD. Any idea about this light?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak.
The battery is dead again. SOC-0%. I have called the RSA to arrange for a jumpstart technician in the morning tomorrow at 5 am when I am planning to leave and would be taking the vehicle straight away to the dealer at Noida. I have also asked my FNG person to provide me with a service battery in order to start it if RSA doesn't respond. What should I do? Should I ask the RSA for a flatbed?
It's urgent. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-image.jpeg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th February 2016 at 07:47. Reason: merge posts
Old 12th December 2015, 20:59   #2038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The battery is dead again. SOC-0%. I have called the RSA to arrange for a jumpstart technician in the morning tomorrow at 5 am when I am planning to leave and would be taking the vehicle straight away to the dealer at Noida. I have also asked my FNG person to provide me with a service battery in order to start it if RSA doesn't respond. What should I do? Should I ask the RSA for a flatbed?
It's urgent. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak.
Your battery is gone and has a dead cell for sure. Just ask for replacement under warranty. You can inform your service centre about it and ask them how they want to proceed.
Old 12th December 2015, 21:22   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The battery is dead again. SOC-0%. Should I ask the RSA for a flatbed?

It's absolutely safe to drive once you have the car jump started. No need for a flat bed. I won't suggest using a service battery.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 22:24   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Your battery is gone and has a dead cell for sure. Just ask for replacement under warranty. You can inform your service centre about it and ask them how they want to proceed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
It's absolutely safe to drive once you have the car jump started. No need for a flat bed. I won't suggest using a service battery.
Thanks. Had called RSA, asked them to arrange for their technician for tomorrow early morning to Jumpstart the vehicle. Been three hours and still no response from them whether they are sending the person or not.

In the meanwhile, I had called up the same FNG and have asked them to get their battery. Now a mechanic from their garage will come to my place in the morning tomorrow and he'll start my car with the service battery and then affix the original one like it was done earlier today. I'll straight away drive the car to the dealership early in the morning from where I had taken an appointment to get the battery checked.

Adi, I had told my SA that I won't be able to leave the car with them for two days just to check the battery. To this he replied that they will fix the service battery in my car and keep my original one till next sunday when I will be visiting them again. I hope there's no harm in this if he sticks to his word tomorrow?

Most Viewed