Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2017, 17:44   #2911
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

The 1.8 TSi Octavia is very tempting. Any idea about OTR price in Bangalore. Vento TSi here is 15.5L OTR.
Old 22nd August 2017, 12:36   #2912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
There will be a log of all the errors but since they went away on their own, I doubt the dealership will be able to troubleshoot them. Also, this looks like a trip in the ECU leading to them coming on temporarily and then going away, so many components cannot fail together at the same time.

Coming to what mostly happened, I think it is a small electrical fault somewhere in the ignition circuit which led to wrong signals being to the ECU. Have this replicated and checked without fail. In case you are not able to replicate it, look up similar faults online and do a deep dive.

Are you sure there are no rats in your parking/car/engine bay?
Thanks for the advice. The same situation happened again the next morning of the car not staring and all warnings flashing and i got the car sent to the workshop via a flatbed (Thank god for RSA). Crazy thing is when the tow truck came the car started again!

Anyhow the service centre is also diagnosing the issue to be a electrical fault but have told me to get the battery checked from outside since the battery is aftermarket and they only check the company fitted batteries! This when i was told by them four months back to get the battery changed outside since they didn't have it in stock and that it would be cheaper for me. :dead horse

Iv been told by the technician to drive the car and let them know if the issue comes up again after getting the battery checked! In the meanwhile they're doing the 60k kms service in the car since the car had already done 58.7k kms. Guys do they change the ATF fluid in this service? The site mentions it but the service advisor didn't mention it! Should i get it done?
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:38   #2913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Thanks for the advice. The same situation happened again the next morning of the car not staring and all warnings flashing and i got the car sent to the workshop via a flatbed (Thank god for RSA). Crazy thing is when the tow truck came the car started again!

Anyhow the service centre is also diagnosing the issue to be a electrical fault but have told me to get the battery checked from outside since the battery is aftermarket and they only check the company fitted batteries! This when i was told by them four months back to get the battery changed outside since they didn't have it in stock and that it would be cheaper for me. :dead horse

Iv been told by the technician to drive the car and let them know if the issue comes up again after getting the battery checked! In the meanwhile they're doing the 60k kms service in the car since the car had already done 58.7k kms. Guys do they change the ATF fluid in this service? The site mentions it but the service advisor didn't mention it! Should i get it done?
This could be a battery issue. If the battery voltage falls very low during crank, the instrument cluster could light up like a Christmas tree. As you have just recently replaced the battery, this could be a simple issue of battery terminal not tightened properly, or any loose connection in the electrical wiring. Or it could be a faulty battery.

Regarding ATF, if yours is a diesel with the DQ250 gearbox, then yes, get the gearbox oil changed. For my Jetta, they mentioned that gearbox oil will be changed on the 4th year / 60K service. Should be the same for Octavia as well.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2017, 22:04   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This could be a battery issue. If the battery voltage falls very low during crank, the instrument cluster could light up like a Christmas tree. As you have just recently replaced the battery, this could be a simple issue of battery terminal not tightened properly, or any loose connection in the electrical wiring. Or it could be a faulty battery.

Regarding ATF, if yours is a diesel with the DQ250 gearbox, then yes, get the gearbox oil changed. For my Jetta, they mentioned that gearbox oil will be changed on the 4th year / 60K service. Should be the same for Octavia as well.

Yes that's what iv been told too though I think they also found a faulty electrical part that has been replaced in warranty. The horn too needs to be replaced though they don't have it in stock and have placed an order for the same. Surprisingly my horn was not the usual skoda type horn right from the start hope this time round they change it to the original sounding horn though.

Yup mine is the diesel with the DQ250 gearbox and I sent the service Center a screenshot of the replacement requirement for the ATF from the service cost calculator on their website post which they got back to me that indeed it needs to be replaced and had made an error by forgetting about it and apologised to me. Just goes to show that a skoda customer needs to be wary of all that is required to be done in their vehicles more than in other brands since in a skoda this could result in much more time consuming and costly repairs later.
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 15:36   #2915
BHPian

Hi guys just an update.

I got my 60k kms service done since the car was at the workshop in any case which is a good 80kms away. The odometer read 58638kms. The final bill for this service along with the electrical work has come to a good Rs.30610!! This includes a set of wiper blades, a relay and fuses which they changed for the electrical work and which they tell me is not covered under extended warranty! The rest is the usual set of all the filters including the DSG oil filter and the main cost as usual is the Engine oil for around Rs.3586/- (excluding tax) and the gearbox oil for Rs.7034/-(excluding tax). The surprising thing is that they have charged me for brake fluid and brake system bleed with the explanation that this is what they charge and need to top up because when they inspect the brakes the pressure goes down. Though the amount is minuscule its still something i'm seeing for the first time.
The total with tax is Parts Rs.23327/- and Labor Rs.7282/-
rugsrags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2017, 18:05   #2916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Hi guys just an update.

I got my 60k kms service done since the car was at the workshop in any case which is a good 80kms away. The odometer read 58638kms. The final bill for this service along with the electrical work has come to a good Rs.30610!! This includes a set of wiper blades, a relay and fuses which they changed for the electrical work and which they tell me is not covered under extended warranty! The rest is the usual set of all the filters including the DSG oil filter and the main cost as usual is the Engine oil for around Rs.3586/- (excluding tax) and the gearbox oil for Rs.7034/-(excluding tax). The surprising thing is that they have charged me for brake fluid and brake system bleed with the explanation that this is what they charge and need to top up because when they inspect the brakes the pressure goes down. Though the amount is minuscule its still something i'm seeing for the first time.
The total with tax is Parts Rs.23327/- and Labor Rs.7282/-
Frankly not an obscene amount for a 60k service for a VAG car. Apart from the DSG oil, is there anything else major pending for replacement? What about brake pads?

In a manual diesel (like my Cruze), I shelled out 28k for the clutch at 40k km which is something use save on if the DSG works properly!
Old 23rd August 2017, 21:31   #2917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Frankly not an obscene amount for a 60k service for a VAG car. Apart from the DSG oil, is there anything else major pending for replacement? What about brake pads?

In a manual diesel (like my Cruze), I shelled out 28k for the clutch at 40k km which is something use save on if the DSG works properly!

The brake pads were replaced at the last service of 45k Kms on instructions by me though the service Center said they were good for another 10k Kms at the time. They were themselves pretty surprised when I told them that I was on original pads at the time.
Old 23rd August 2017, 23:44   #2918
BHPian

The brake pads on the Octy lasts really long. I'm still on the original pair and has done 59k already.
Strange that the AC compressor couldn't outlast the brake pads. :banghead:
Old 25th August 2017, 15:28   #2919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethomasv View Post
The brake pads on the Octy lasts really long. I'm still on the original pair and has done 59k already.
Strange that the AC compressor couldn't outlast the brake pads. :banghead:
I specifically asked them to be changed because its too great a risk to damage the Discs and they in turn are pretty expensive to replace. I'v faced this issue with my other cars and now believe its better to be safe than sorry. Should't forget it's a skoda after all and the service centre probably wouldn't have discs in stock too (took them a month to arrange wiper blades for the car)
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 07:07   #2920
BHPian

Just went through 1st Free Service at the end of Year 1 for my Octavia 1.8 TSI at Kolkata.
Overall satisfactory experience.
The staff promptly adjusted my request for date change, and the car was delivered on the same day. There was no mechanical issue as such, so just had to pay for service which was INR 8500 (approx). As stated in an earlier post, my passenger side sun visor has come off, and the replacement part was costing INR 7000, which I have declined.
I was just a little surprised when they informed me that cleaning services (both internal and external) would cost me INR 3800 and is not bundled in the first free service. The Hyundai SA servicing my Grand i10 offers me free cleaning ( interior and exterior ) always.

Could someone else, who has had his service verify this non-inclusion of cleaning services?
Old 26th August 2017, 21:55   #2921
BHPian

Having gone through this thread, I was looking forward to owning a 1.8 TSI myself. Albeit a little apprehensive about the reliability of the dry clutch DSG.

Nevertheless I went to the Showroom still in two minds pondering whether to go for the 1.8 TSI or getting myself the 2.0 TDI. Personally I don't mind the split headlamps of the New Octy although there have been mixed reactions on the forum. Now as luck would have it, they have one last pre-facelift TDI DSG.

It is the Style plus version of the Diesel mill they are left with.But the sales executive informed that it was infact the onyx version of the Octavia which is available.

I checked out the car in the yard, but apart from the black alloy wheels there wasn't any other differentiating feature on the car. The door sills and the black ORVMs which are there on the onyx version was missing. Also the grille had the chrome surrounding to it. Is it black on the onyx version?

I have been using Diesel vehicles all my life and is normally inclined to go for Diesel cars. However the pull off the 1.8 TSI is awakening the devil inside my head.

Now coming to the pre facelift TDI DSG they have agreed to give me a good discount, though they are yet to confirm the figure. The thing is the 2017 Octy does have a few features which are good to have like the larger touchscreen and the ambient lighting. When I chatted with the personnel at their service center he said that these features cannot be added to the pre facelift model. He even said that even changing the yellow light bulb to the white light bulbs in the interiors or the number plate and even the puddle lights would void warranty. Could you guys please throw more light onto this.

Also does it make sense going for the pre facelift model which is readily available or book and wait for delivery of 2017 Octy with a risk of increase in cess also coming in by then? Very confused please help!

Last edited by Eddy : 26th August 2017 at 22:19. Reason: Spacing for better readability.
Old 28th August 2017, 18:04   #2922
BHPian

Port injectors (MPI) also in addition to GDI? - 3rd gen EA888 1.8TSI

I recently saw a car here in EU with 3rd gen EA888 1.8TSI. It had an additional set of port injectors also, primarily aimed for further stringent emission conformation, but as a result also helps in keeping the valves clean during the longer run.

Could someone with the Octy or Superb mk3 1.8TSI confirm if the Indian spec car has these set of additional port injectors (MPI) ? It has been deleted for US spec car from what I read, and hence curious to know whether they have been retained for Indian cars or not.
Old 29th August 2017, 15:31   #2923
BHPian

Some of the interior plastic quality is pathetic.
The the door of the small storage area next to the steering has broken and not closing.. Its such a flimsy plastic piece..
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-capture.jpg  

Old 6th September 2017, 20:05   #2924
BHPian

Took the delivery of Octavia TSI (Style Plus) on 3rd of August, clocked 2500 KM so far. To say that the engine is powerful would be an understatement. Acceleration from standstill is berserk. The seven speed DSG does an excellent job with the shifts in normal mode; never felt of using sports mode, yet.

PS: Quad setup looks aggressive with DRL lit.

A detailed review is on its way...

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_8027.jpg
shahbaz63 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:37   #2925
BHPian

Hi guys, planning to purchase a used Octavia, a 2014 model and realize my long time dream of driving a Skoda!
I have identified a vehicle and would like to have it evaluated by Skoda service center before I bite. Appreciate if you can refer me to any contacts in Vinayak Skoda in Majestic who can do a genuine health check.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks