Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2020, 17:43   #4411
SLK
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Last weekend : my 5 year old daughter picks up something from her toy bag and handed it over to me with a strict instruction - " please don't keep your car keys in my bag"
That's what I was going to ask you. Are you sure you lost it outside your house?

I once found a key 3 months later. Didn't end up changing the locks (that was an Alto) because couldn't understand where did the key go!
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:53   #4412
BHPian

New Octavia launch likely delayed to 2021.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_20200502125106.jpg

Source: Autocar magazine
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 10:59   #4413

Makes me really thankful for pulling the trigger on the current model in Jan-2020!

Also, I feel the current model looks sharper and more sleek when compared to the new model.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:09. Reason: Spacing
oilgascng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 20:04   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
New Octavia launch likely delayed to 2021.

Attachment 2001108

Source: Autocar magazine
Thanks for sharing this article. I have always felt that the top of the line new model would come with the 2.0L TSI engine and the mid range one will be powered by the 1.5 Tsi mill with a manual & probably a 7-speed DSG gearbox option (DQ 200) also. The Karoq & T-Roc are being offered with the DSG gearbox, so it makes sense to offer it with the 1.5 L TSI engine on the Octavia also.

Since this will be a CKD import, expect it to be priced quite high. The current phased-out 1.8 Tsi L&K model had an OTR price of a bit over 28 Lacs in Delhi and with discounts it could be had for a li'l over 25L. But the top of the line 2.0 litre model could easily be around 33-34 lacs(OTR) & no discounts, so thats a huge jump !

The rear end styling of the new car is definitely more contemporary and I like the convenience of an electric parking brake (I know my wife would have loved this feature as it does take some effort to use the manual handbrake), the shift by wire gear-box technology & the engine will pump out 10 extra horses which is nice but the current model's 178 BHP is pretty good too !
Rest of the car's features are pretty similar to the current/out-gone L&K 1.8 Tsi. So people who bought the car between say Oct'19-March '20 should have got good discounts and wouldn't loose out much on the features as the older model is loaded to the hilt, including the latest feature of the digital virtual cockpit, Kanton premium sound system & ambient lighting. Buyers who are awaiting the new model get a completely refreshed product which may be retained for several years, but may have shell out a few lacs more & wait just a wee bit longer.

Last edited by Timothy : 4th May 2020 at 20:06.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 22:07   #4415
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
.. the engine will pump out 10 extra horses which is nice
And a LOT more torque and no DQ200. I for one would have waited for the new one if 2.0 TSI was confirmed. But again, I'm not sure if after the COVID19 delay and general financial crunch environment, I would have had an appetite to spend 30+lakhs.

No regrets, but new is new.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 22:45   #4416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
And a LOT more torque and no DQ200. I for one would have waited for the new one if 2.0 TSI was confirmed. But again, I'm not sure if after the COVID19 delay and general financial crunch environment, I would have had an appetite to spend 30+lakhs.

No regrets, but new is new.
New is New , no doubt ! I also like the new model except maybe for the front nose grill design. Maybe it was a conscious decision by the company to not announce the 2 litre Tsi earlier as they probably needed to sell off the stock of the current model. But I am glad I picked up the out-going model as 25L seems to be a steal for this car with its strong build quality, top notch features & a powerful engine.

In the current scenario it would have been next to impossible for me to shell out 32+L for a car. I am from the Hospitality & luxury travel business and nothing has been hit harder than this industry.

With regards to DQ 200, my understanding is that the problems have by & large been sorted with the software upgrade & the torque cap (to protect the clutch plates) & the switch to Mineral Oil to avoid the mechatronics failure.

Last edited by Timothy : 4th May 2020 at 22:58. Reason: typo
Old 5th May 2020, 06:22   #4417
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
With regards to DQ 200, my understanding is that the problems have by & large been sorted with the software upgrade & the torque cap (to protect the clutch plates) & the switch to Mineral Oil to avoid the mechatronics failure.
The reliability isn't my concern really, this is my second DQ200, but the upgraded gearbox will definitely have better drivability. Low speed bumper to bumper traffic does unsettle the DQ200.
Old 5th May 2020, 17:24   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Low speed bumper to bumper traffic does unsettle the DQ200.
Ok interesting. Could you elaborate a bit more on the unsettling bit in stop & go traffic conditions. I haven't yet encountered it thats why I am asking. Thanks
Old 7th May 2020, 12:42   #4419
BHPian

The first year service date for my 1.8 TSi is tomorrow! Don't know when the service centers would reopen.

What are other people here doing about the scheduled service over past month or so?

Old 7th May 2020, 12:57   #4420
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
The first year service date for my 1.8 TSi is tomorrow! Don't know when the service centers would reopen.
What are other people here doing about the scheduled service over past month or so?
Interesting! Even if they were open, I won't let anyone sit in my car for the next 6 months!.
Old 7th May 2020, 12:57   #4421
BHPian

Quote:
I got my Baleno serviced yesterday. Even the NEXA was operational for sales of cars. So, I suppose Skoda service centre should have been operational by now, considering the restrictions are too relaxed particularly in Bangalore or say karnataka.
Old 7th May 2020, 13:49   #4422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda showrooms have largely reopened. Call TAFE Skoda and ask them.
Old 7th May 2020, 21:10   #4423
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting! Even if they were open, I won't let anyone sit in my car for the next 6 months!.
But how to leave the car unserviced?! Especially when it is the first couple of services with mandatory oil change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I got my Baleno serviced yesterday. Even the NEXA was operational for sales of cars. So, I suppose Skoda service centre should have been operational by now, considering the restrictions are too relaxed particularly in Bangalore or say karnataka.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Skoda showrooms have largely reopened. Call TAFE Skoda and ask them.
Sure, will check with skoda tomorrow. My next problem is commuting to the service center for drop and pickup of the car. Have to check if they provide a loaner, or should stay at the center until the car is ready!

Anyway, this is definitely a risk going out in these times.

Old 8th May 2020, 13:22   #4424
BHPian

I called skoda and got to know TAFE service is opening some time next week. Service dates have been officially extended by 30 days.
My problem now is that TAFE is on the opposite side of the city! They are apparently opening another service center to replace the now defunct vinayak. Location unknown as of now, but hope it is in north bangalore .
Old 8th May 2020, 19:34   #4425
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilgascng View Post
Makes me really thankful for pulling the trigger on the current model in Jan-2020!
Also, I feel the current model looks sharper and more sleek when compared to the new model.
Indeed, i agree but the best part is that this engine will not be there ever with the cost reductions needed and duty etc. This launch is also tentative and the longer this crisis drags on, new launches will surely be delayed as who know when will consumer demand come back and in what form( as in what segment it comes back to etc)

Most Viewed