Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 00:07   #4426
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hi,

Can anyone please advise on where I can get the 3D Kagu Maxpider floor mats for my Octavia 2019 model....either Online or retail shop in Delhi.

Your assistance on this would be highly appreciated ! Many thanks !

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:08. Reason: Spacing
Old 18th May 2020, 14:50   #4427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi,

Can anyone please advise on where I can get the 3D Kagu Maxpider floor mats for my Octavia 2019 model....either Online or retail shop in Delhi.

Bit difficult for the Octavia. When i got the car in October 2016, I had tried both my trusted shops (AutoMarc in Def Col) and Joy Auto (behind Khan Market) and both didn't have them. Had checked again (in September 2019 i think) when i gone to pick up the 3D Kagu mats for my Crysta from Joy but even then i could not get it for the Octavia.

I suggest getting the OEM rubber mats from Skoda. I have been using those and have had no issues to be honest.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:08. Reason: Spacing in quoted post
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 19:19   #4428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Bit difficult for the Octavia. When i got the car in October 2016, I had tried both my trusted shops (AutoMarc in Def Col) and Joy Auto (behind Khan Market) and both didn't have them. Had checked again (in September 2019 i think) when i gone to pick up the 3D Kagu mats for my Crysta from Joy but even then i could not get it for the Octavia.

I suggest getting the OEM rubber mats from Skoda. I have been using those and have had no issues to be honest.
Many Thanks Rohan ! I had checked with the Skoda dealer when I had picked the car in Jan. but they were selling the full accessories kit and not the floor mats by itself. Yes the Kagu mats seem to be difficult to get hold of, for Octavia.

I was deciding between Coozo 5D mats (4k for the set) or the Autodivine Leatherite 5D Mats (5k for the set). I think I will go for the latter as the quality seems to be better. According to their website the specs are

Upper Layer-Leatherite
Middle Layer-XPE
Bottom Layer-Maxpider

Plus they are offering a 10 day return policy with free pick up if not satisfied. Has anyone used Autodivine 5D floor mats ? Would appreciate any feedback that can be given. Cheers !

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th May 2020 at 12:08. Reason: Typo / spacing
Old 23rd May 2020, 07:41   #4429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the Kagu mats seem to be difficult to get hold of, for Octavia.
They were easily available in Bangalore at least pre-lockdown. I could not locate the mobile numbers of the owners / managers themselves but Google for Hot Tracks Bangalore. They are the importers/distributors I believe.

Maybe they can ship them to you?
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 19:54   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
They were easily available in Bangalore at least pre-lockdown. I could not locate the mobile numbers of the owners / managers themselves but Google for Hot Tracks Bangalore. They are the importers/distributors I believe.

Maybe they can ship them to you?
Many thanks ! unfortunately their website hottracks.in doesn't seem to be working for the last several days. But after your message I have found their FB page. I will contact them and see. Cheers !
Old 24th May 2020, 11:31   #4431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks ! unfortunately their website hottracks.in doesn't seem to be working for the last several days. But after your message I have found their FB page. I will contact them and see. Cheers !
Google for Akshay at Car Shringar Bangalore. He has stock for 7K and can ship to DEL. Else DM me and I'll provide his number.
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 18:28   #4432
BHPian

What are the parts that are prone to failure on a 90k driven 2015 Octavia Elegance DSG? How different is it from a Jetta? Also, how much do these prone failure parts cost?
Old 27th May 2020, 18:41   #4433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
What are the parts that are prone to failure on a 90k driven 2015 Octavia Elegance DSG? How different is it from a Jetta? Also, how much do these prone failure parts cost?
If you are talking about the diesel Octavia DSG, the major difference is the multilink suspension which is absent in the Octavia 2.0 TDI as compared to the Jetta which gets it as standard. The 1.8 TSI Octavia has the multilink suspension.

Coming to parts prone to failure, the diesel Octavia and Jetta DSGs are both quite reliable except for the odd flywheel failure which can set you back from 75-80K. The DSG on the 1.8 TSI though can suffer from premature clutch pack wearout and mechatronics issues.

Coming to the engines, the 1.8 TSI can have issues with the thermostat housing and the water pump. The water pump is a cheap fix but the thermostat is 50K if you don't have warranty. The 2.0 TDI on the other hand is more reliable and the only major sore point is the water pump which can be set right for anywhere between 7K-20K depending on what the damage is and if the entire timing kit needs replacement.

If it's been driven for 90K check the suspension and the link rods along with the dampers. If it hasn't been overhauled till now, might need one very soon. If it's a diesel, the timing kit needs to be replaced. That's another 15K. The front and rear brake pads along with the gearbox and engine mount should be checked for wear.

If the Elegance you are mentioning is the Petrol, don't go for it. Find a younger example. If it's a diesel, expect a timing kit change soon enough as a scheduled job and also have a budget of 1-1.5L set aside for the odd flywheel failure or the likes and you are set.

Last edited by vishy76 : 27th May 2020 at 18:42.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 18:44   #4434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
If you are talking about the diesel Octavia DSG, the major difference is the multilink suspension which is absent in the Octavia 2.0 TDI as compared to the Jetta which gets it as standard. The 1.8 TSI Octavia has the multilink suspension.
Yes, I'm considering a diesel Octavia. I currently have a 2011 Jetta Highline DSG which I want to upgrade. I'm guessing maintenance wise they're more or less same. So no major issues in diesel right? Im also open to considering other cars in around 10lakhs range provided they're good for driving
Old 27th May 2020, 18:52   #4435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
Yes, I'm considering a diesel Octavia. I currently have a 2011 Jetta Highline DSG which I want to upgrade. I'm guessing maintenance wise they're more or less same. So no major issues in diesel right? Im also open to considering other cars in around 10lakhs range provided they're good for driving
Good enough then. The diesel Octavia and Jetta are mechanically similar except for the multilink suspension. It does make a good difference so I suggest you take a test drive and see if you can live with the inferior setup of the Octavia or is it a downgrade over the Jetta.

Another point I missed, check the DRLs for yellowing or fading. This has occured in a few pre facelift Octavias. The whole headlamp needs to be replaced and those bi xenons won't come cheap. The air con should be able to blast out chilled air without issues else it might be a compressor issue. Again not cheap at 75K but some Jettas also had the issue. It's not a widespread one thankfully.

As I said, just mind the flywheel and the electronic tid bits as the Octavia has more of them. Also check the condition of the interior trim and AC vents along with the steering mounted scroller wheels. These tend to come lose and break off. The replacements aren't cheap.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 19:20   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Good enough then. The diesel Octavia and Jetta are mechanically similar except for the multilink suspension. It does make a good difference so I suggest you take a test drive and see if you can live with the inferior setup of the Octavia or is it a downgrade over the Jetta.

Another point I missed, check the DRLs for yellowing or fading. This has occured in a few pre facelift Octavias. The whole headlamp needs to be replaced and those bi xenons won't come cheap. The air con should be able to blast out chilled air without issues else it might be a compressor issue. Again not cheap at 75K but some Jettas also had the issue. It's not a widespread one thankfully.

As I said, just mind the flywheel and the electronic tid bits as the Octavia has more of them. Also check the condition of the interior trim and AC vents along with the steering mounted scroller wheels. These tend to come lose and break off. The replacements aren't cheap.
Yeah, I wanted to take a drive and then think over. The rear seats and suspension are just amazing in the Jetta.

Do the yellowing DRL's cause any other issues? Or has there been any revision in the product number to fix this? Or is there any reason this happens? The AC needs to be maintained I guess. There is some oil or something. I don't recall exactly but yes, there is some preventive care with which it can be avoided atleast on the Jetta. I'm guessing it would be the same on Octavia.
But, is the compressor issue a common one on the Octavia's? This is the pre facelift 2015 Octavia since it has the elegance name and not style.

Yeah, the flywheel is notorious on the Jetta too. I don't remember the symptoms of a bad flywheel though. Pls let me know in case if you know about the symptoms.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th May 2020 at 11:23. Reason: typo
Old 28th May 2020, 01:11   #4437
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I purchased mats from Hottracks for the same 2019 model in February this year. They charged me 7790/- including shipping for it. Quality is good but their response and customer handling is very poor. I had to follow up multiple times and with different people. You can try their WhatsApp Business Account at +91 88847 88843.
maverick145 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 14:58   #4438

The right headlight on my 2014 model Octavia Elegance AT 2.0 TDI with Bi-Xenons has stopped working. I see a warning message "Check right dipped headlight beam". The DRL is fine.

Since the Skoda dealership has closed down where I live, I got it checked by a technician who used to work at the Skoda service center. He said the headlight needs to be replaced and cost of a new one (original) is approximately 18,000 and a second hand one around 7000-7500. He also said he will check the electricals before installing it to make sure there is no other problem (which would cause a new one also to go bad).

I found some information here:
http://www.oemxenonshop.com/Skoda-Oc...placement.html
and
https://nickscarblog.com/diy/how-to-...ror-on-an-audi

After seeing these, even though I didn't understand how the different parts work together, I asked the technician if we can just change the specific part like the bulb or ballast. He said no, the full unit is moulded.

Can you please share your thoughts and advice on this?

Thanks.
Old 28th May 2020, 16:09   #4439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravelbug View Post
The right headlight on my 2014 model Octavia Elegance AT 2.0 TDI with Bi-Xenons has stopped working.
After seeing these, even though I didn't understand how the different parts work together, I asked the technician if we can just change the specific part like the bulb or ballast. He said no, the full unit is moulded.

Can you please share your thoughts and advice on this?
Please don't go the mechanic, try this on your own:

1) On the problematic headlight, remove the dust cap behind, and remove the bulb by twisting it anticlockwise and wiggling out the small connector at the bottom.
2) Do the same on the other light as well and swap bulb from the good light, to the one with fault.
3) Now if the faulty headlight turns on, check the dipped and high beam. If everything is fine, you just need a new bulb.
4) If it doesn't turn on, it might be an electrical fault with a fuse, etc, and needs to be checked. Ballasts almost never goes faulty, and yes, it cannot be replaced, as it is placed in a position that makes the headlight as air tight as possible. So removing it is not an option.

you have the below options to fix this:

1) If you were happy with the light output, you can just order one single bulb, our bulb type is D3S and the OEM color temperature is around 4300 Kelvin. But getting this in the local market will be tough. They're called Philips Xenstart bulbs. I have my original bulbs lying around so PM me if you need them, I will list them on the classifieds.

2) If you want you may buy a set of two bulbs, of Morimoto XB5500K (Kelvin) from Retro Rides Delhi (cheapest option but excellent bulbs almost as bright as Osrams).

You can also go to the dealer and just ask for a replacement bulb which they might have in stock, but it'll be expensive.

On Amazon I could find only this single bulb, but this the brightest bulb tested in the 35W category and its worth if you're looking for brighter bulbs, but do buy a set then. https://www.amazon.in/Breaker-Brightness-Discharge-66340XNL-Folding/dp/B07FXSRP48/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Philips+D3s&qid=15906 61692&sr=8-1

3) if the ballast is at fault, you can also replace it with a Morimoto XB35 ballast, again from Retro Rides Delhi. It'll be much cheaper than a new headlight and the new ballast can be mounted somewhere else in the engine bay on any non metal surface. A new original Skoda Bi-Xenon headlight is approximately 30-35K at the dealership. I don't know how is this guy offering you one for 18K.

In short, replacing the headlight could be avoided if its just the bulb that's faulty. First do the bulb swap then decide further.
adi_petrolhead is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 17:04   #4440

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
1) On the problematic headlight, remove the dust cap behind, and remove the bulb by twisting it anticlockwise and wiggling out the small connector at the bottom.
2) Do the same on the other light as well and swap bulb from the good light, to the one with fault.
Thanks. But if there is something faulty in the electricals, is there a risk that the good bulb might also go bad? (I guess that's what the mechanic meant when he said he will open and check everything first),

Quote:
1) If you were happy with the light output, you can just order one single bulb, our bulb type is D3S and the OEM color temperature is around 4300 Kelvin. But getting this in the local market will be tough. They're called Philips Xenstart bulbs. I have my original bulbs lying around so PM me if you need them, I will list them on the classifieds.
Sounds good will let you know once checked. This sounds like a good option if its a faulty bulb.

Quote:
You can also go to the dealer and just ask for a replacement bulb which they might have in stock, but it'll be expensive.
The local dealer is closed and are not selling spares. Would have to check with an out-of-town one. Tried calling Tafe Access Bangalore several times this morning but not able to get through on the phone.

Quote:
A new original Skoda Bi-Xenon headlight is approximately 30-35K at the dealership. I don't know how is this guy offering you one for 18K.
After reading this, I am not sure if he meant that only the bulb might cost 18K at the dealer, because as I mentioned earlier he also said it is moulded and the entire thing needs to be changed (when I asked if just the faulty bulb or ballast can be changed). But previously he did say the entire unit costs 30k plus when I asked why the headlight is so expensive (18k). So maybe he meant just the bulb? (I am confused).

Most Viewed