Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 16:47   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
The "Check Oil Level" warning light has turned on in the MID at only 5k km on my 1.8 TSI. I refuse to take it to the service center for a top up as I'd rather do this myself. Does anybody here know which particular engine oil goes in?

Will topping the oil myself void the warranty?

Thanks in advance.

1.8 TSI engines in the old Superb and the Laura were known to drink oil in initial mileage. But not the new generation engines in the Octavia. I have never heard new Octavias suffering from this issue. Rather get it checked from the service Center and let them top up oil if needed. Not sure if the MID error too will go away on topping up, the need to reset it using VCDS might arise. You are better off visiting the service Center once, ASAP.
Old 17th November 2014, 20:27   #1247
Team-BHP Support

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
1.8 TSI engines in the old Superb and the Laura were known to drink oil in initial mileage. But not the new generation engines in the Octavia. I have never heard new Octavias suffering from this issue. Rather get it checked from the service Center and let them top up oil if needed. Not sure if the MID error too will go away on topping up, the need to reset it using VCDS might arise. You are better off visiting the service Center once, ASAP.
The check oil level error would probably go by just opening and closing the bonnet, as it does on the Laura.
Old 19th November 2014, 22:21   #1248
BHPian

Hello Team,

I have been following this thread frequently, till i got my 1.8 tsi. Due to work commitments i could'nt catch up. I was considering of adding a chrome, strip near the window just like the current octavia/superb model.

In this regard, can any one let me know, whether can i get a chrome strip, bordering the window (just like Honda city/Superb) for the Laura. I have seen in some L&K models. If it is available aftermarket can anyone suggest where to get these in Bangalore. I am okay to procure from any of the showrooms as well.
Old 20th November 2014, 11:10   #1249
BHPian

Have anyone decided to play around with the ICE? The prospect of installing the subwoofer in the dash like the Euro variants sounds really interesting. Is there an amp which is accessible for this option?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 20th November 2014, 12:00   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But not the new generation engines in the Octavia.
The 1.8 TSI in the Octavia is just the same tweaked up EA888 motor as on the 2012 Superb/Laura which replaced the older EA113 motor. It has been tweaked to deliver 20bhp more power which is now up to 180ps up from 160ps with the same peak torque of 250nm. So it will drink oil for the initial 10~15k kms after which it will stabilize.

Last edited by dkaile : 20th November 2014 at 12:08.
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:38   #1251
BHPian

Any update on extended warranty?
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:24   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The 1.8 TSI in the Octavia is just the same tweaked up EA888 motor as on the 2012 Superb/Laura which replaced the older EA113 motor. It has been tweaked to deliver 20bhp more power which is now up to 180ps up from 160ps with the same peak torque of 250nm. So it will drink oil for the initial 10~15k kms after which it will stabilize.
The motor is indeed EA288 series VW 1.8 IL4 132 kW, but is the third generation of engine in this series. Meaning the same state of power was available in the 2nd gen EA288 motors of the Octy-II Vrs also, but this is tweaked may be a bit more than just a different power map. Mine doesn't drink oil abnormally, have never topped up in the early stages, oil was changed only at the first service at 15K kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Any update on extended warranty?
The thing about Skoda being notorious on their some what flagship Octavia, is not just deterring new customers but is also concerning to existing ones. It's been over a year, and still there is no news about EW, they offer me a policy from ICICI bank, but they also mention clearly that this is not the official extended warranty offered from Skoda India a.k.a. Skoda shield, and any claims will be settled by the insurance company and not by Skoda India, which means you will end up haggling with the insurer for claiming any parts under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The check oil level error would probably go by just opening and closing the bonnet, as it does on the Laura.

Didn't know that. As never needed to sort it.
Old 22nd November 2014, 12:35   #1253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The motor is indeed EA288 series VW 1.8 IL4 132 kW, but is the third generation of engine in this series. Meaning the same state of power was available in the 2nd gen EA288 motors of the Octy-II Vrs also, but this is tweaked may be a bit more than just a different power map. Mine doesn't drink oil abnormally, have never topped up in the early stages, oil was changed only at the first service at 15K kms.

Didn't know that. As never needed to sort it.
You primarily do a lot of highway driving right? On highways the oil consumption is very low, but when used in traffic the oil consumption is a lot higher.

That may be a reason why.
Old 5th December 2014, 11:26   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay89 View Post
Yes it now comes with LED tail lights. It surely looks fabulous. I dont have a pic but I have seen it on a brand new octy. It makes the car even more desirable now.
Do you have a picture of the led tail lamp on Indian Octavia? My dealer refuses to agree, even though it is on the website, he says that his parts catalogue doesn't show LED tail lights for the Octy, nor has he been updated about this from the factory, although I have seen an Octy in my city, but couldn't click a picture cos it was on the other side of the road, and I was not in pursuit mood
Old 5th December 2014, 11:49   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have a picture of the led tail lamp on Indian Octavia? My dealer refuses to agree, even though it is on the website, he says that his parts catalogue doesn't show LED tail lights for the Octy, nor has he been updated about this from the factory, although I have seen an Octy in my city, but couldn't click a picture cos it was on the other side of the road, and I was not in pursuit mood
I checked with my dealer and he said some batch of vehicles came with LED tail lights but recent batch is with normal bulbs.
Old 5th December 2014, 14:40   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
I checked with my dealer and he said some batch of vehicles came with LED tail lights but recent batch is with normal bulbs.

How ridiculous is Skoda's management. Even I have seen one in Ahmedabad on the road, but the dealer has no clue! Since we have only one dealer in Gujarat, there's no where else the Octavia with LED could have been delivered from. The LED housing also looks different and the lines are crisper inside the housing. So there is really something fishy. I was in China last month and my visit coincided with the Octavia and Yeti launch in China. I saw an Active trim Octavia with hub caps, but with LED tail lights. I figured since it's going to be made in India and then exported to China, all new Octys will come with LED for part sharing reasons, and also with a three spoke steering instead of four. But this is too ambiguous on part of Skoda. LEDs at the back completely transform the way the car looks from behind.
Old 5th December 2014, 15:17   #1257
Team-BHP Support

I saw an Octavia here in Surat with the LED tail lamps as well. It was distinctly different, in the sense that the 2 Cs in the tail lamp were sharper and was noticeably brighter than the usual tail lights.

I thought he must have imported these lights from Superskoda or elsewhere but now it makes sense.
Old 5th December 2014, 21:30   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I saw an Octavia here in Surat with the LED tail lamps as well. It was distinctly different, in the sense that the 2 Cs in the tail lamp were sharper and was noticeably brighter than the usual tail lights.

I was also considering Vagtune or Superskoda. But then I used Skoda's service cost calculator and saw the cost of replacing the tail light was ₹5600 a piece. I am guessing that the costs are updated for the LED lights. Thats cheaper and also it would then be possible to get it replaced at their workshop itself. But the dealer parts manager has no clue what I am talking about and has also tried to convince me that my existing tail lights are LED ones
Old 5th December 2014, 21:33   #1259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was also considering Vagtune or Superskoda. But then I used Skoda's service cost calculator and saw the cost of replacing the tail light was ₹5600 a piece. I am guessing that the costs are updated for the LED lights. Thats cheaper and also it would then be possible to get it replaced at their workshop itself. But the dealer parts manager has no clue what I am talking about and has also tried to convince me that my existing tail lights are LED ones
Try checking the part number internationally. Then get your Skoda workshop to put it in their system and see, it should pop up. Another alternative is to see your present tail lights part number, and a list of similar part numbers may show up too.
Old 5th December 2014, 21:51   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
the dealer parts manager has no clue what I am talking about and has also tried to convince me that my existing tail lights are LED ones

So the situation is not different anywhere huh. I thought may be it's just here they were clueless. I've always had to dig up part nos if I had any query about some part from them. But I guess they check it against your VIN for confirming that it's the correct part for your car. Anyways I am also in the process of finding out cost of LED tail lamps from them and comparing it with other vendors like you mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks