Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2014, 23:49   #1651
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Good to see the FE figures for diesel reported here. I get 12 with AC on in my Manza in b2b traffic so even if I get 16–17 in City I am gonna be quite happy.
17 kmpl should be easy.

I am consistently clocking 22 kmpl with AC on all the time in my modest in-city driving, but then I am using the semi-automatic quality of the i-DTEC powering my Empress (minimal to no throttle input in first 4 gears, no clutch in the first 2 gears). The oil burner is absolutely easy to drive, specially with that "no lag" quality in any of the first 3 gears, and pick-up from standstill in the 2nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Still undecided which tyres to change on delivery. Highly confused between XM2 and Primacy 3st. Suggestions from people already using both will be helpful.
Primacy 3ST was specially made for Indian conditions for Michelin, so it should suit your needs perfectly. I have heard good things about XM2 as well but 3ST should provide a bit of extra riding comfort and silence on the highways, being the more premium offering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I guess we have a good report on the mileage statistics of the XM2 on the forum since many have gone for it. Not sure if we have anyone with a P3ST and i-DTEC combination who can report on the mileage? From reports so far on the P3ST, the durability seems to be good.
I am in the radar for the 3ST (by next month, hopefully). The stock tyres are providing some superb mileage so I hope the 3ST don't drop those figures too much. If the tyres get hard to procure, I might stick with the OEMs till the first 10,000 kms, since I am primarily the sole person in my Empress, and driving inside the city most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I'm on P3ST and very happy with the tyres. They are super silent and the extra comfort can be felt even in city driving. There may be a marginal impact on FE but i'll let Nikhil comment on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
I'm on Primacy 3ST and have done 1000+ Kms. They are absolutely silent and I am not sure on the impact on FE. I am getting a healthy 12.5 Kms in city driving conditions mostly B2b traffic.
Great to hear. The 3STs sound more and more impressive, by all the positive feedback they are getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Was surprised to receive a courier from Honda today with a thank you note from Honda India CEO thanking to make City a huge success alongwith a Honda original key chain. Wanted to upload a pic here on the Team bhp iOS app, but the app wouldn't allow me (permission issue??) Any one here who got a similar communication?
That's a wonderful gesture by Honda. When did you book the car and when did you take delivery?

Maybe this is restricted to the first 500/1000 customers who booked their Citys. Those who took delivery in February/March can clarify if they received the same from Honda as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feroz_009 View Post
The other problem I am facing is the engine knocking sound. It's very disturbing!! I am suspecting knocking sensor to be the culprit. Do you have any similar issues?
Worrying. Does this happen immediately after you crank up the engine first thing in the mornings?

I'll check on the grinding noise and knocking all through tomorrow and report back, although I have a suspicion this is restricted to the petrol Citys. Still, one cannot be sure.

I really hope my Empress doesn't suffer from these niggles too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malayrai View Post
Finally after a wait of 3 and half month, lot of petrol vs diesel debate and City Vs Verna debate got my Honda City IVTEC VMT Silver today.
The only 'not so great' thing was that the music kept pausing for 2-5 seconds every 2 minutes, perhaps since the pen drive was 8 gb, but definitely look into this on the weekend.
First of all, hearty congratulations on owning the hottest selling premium sedan in the country today, and welcome to the Honda City club, my friend.

This is a weird and novel issue. I have a Sandisk 8 GB USB Flash drive plugged in and don't have any problem playing my songs through it. Does the pause happen in the middle of all songs, or any particular song/set of songs in general? My USB drive plays all stuff smoothly without any hiccups.

Only problem I had in the beginning was that when I shifted the source from CD to USB, initially it said "no songs found". I pulled the USB drive out, plugged it back in, and it started reading + subsequently started playing all songs just fine.

Never happened thereafter, even after when I skipped sources, from CD to FM to USB. It picked up right from the last position it left in a particular song without any hassle.

Quote:
I just received my RC card. Received it in about 3.5 weeks. My SA hasn't got back with respect to the extended warranty letter or the Road Side Assistance book. I'll check with him again on this.
3 weeks since I took delivery of Empress, and I haven't received my RC card yet. But then, we had taken delivery of wifey's Eon on 6th March and haven't received the RC card for that yet either!!

I thought it was all due to the March Closing + elections schedule (election polls were held here on 10th April). Guess I need to start making a few calls come tomorrow.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th April 2014 at 23:51.
Old 17th April 2014, 00:07   #1652
BHPian

A stunning official review by GTO and many valuable inputs by others. Great level of details. I am very excited to share that i have booked my Honda City. I have booked iDTEC VX trim and it will wear Urban Titanium looks. I will be hooked onto this thread while i anxiously wait for another 3 months
Old 17th April 2014, 08:35   #1653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahanam View Post
A stunning official review by GTO and many valuable inputs by others. Great level of details. I am very excited to share that i have booked my Honda City. I have booked iDTEC VX trim and it will wear Urban Titanium looks. I will be hooked onto this thread while i anxiously wait for another 3 months
Congrats on joining the Team BHP and Honda City club. Hope you get it earlier than 3months. Out of curiosity, whats the cost iDTEC VX in Bangalore ?
Old 17th April 2014, 09:15   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Congrats on joining the Team BHP and Honda City club. Hope you get it earlier than 3months. Out of curiosity, whats the cost iDTEC VX in Bangalore ?
Thanks rajivn. Its a privilege to be part of both the clubs. Ex show room cost is 11.2 lakhs and on road cost is 14 lakhs that includes registration/ handling, zero depreciation insurance, extended warranty/ RSA. I am hoping i can get it earlier too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
17 kmpl should be easy.

I am consistently clocking 22 kmpl with AC on all the time in my modest in-city driving, but then I am using the semi-automatic quality of the i-DTEC powering my Empress (minimal to no throttle input in first 4 gears, no clutch in the first 2 gears). The oil burner is absolutely easy to drive, specially with that "no lag" quality in any of the first 3 gears, and pick-up from standstill in the 2nd gear.
Can you explain the no clutch in the first 2 gears part? What are the others capabilities of being semi automatic?
Old 17th April 2014, 09:58   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
I am in the radar for the 3ST (by next month, hopefully). The stock tyres are providing some superb mileage so I hope the 3ST don't drop those figures too much. If the tyres get hard to procure, I might stick with the OEMs till the first 10,000 kms, since I am primarily the sole person in my Empress, and driving inside the city most of the time.
Here is good video on Primacy 3ST to help decide: .
While Michelin advertises this tyre for Safety, Slience, Comfort and Longevity the one thing they don't advertise this tyre for is Fuel Efficiency. The Video also features an Interview with a Michelin Marketing Person who again says the Energy Series (read XM2) is the one that is made for Fuel Efficiency. The Primacy 3ST sits between the Value Segment (Energy Series) and the high end Sports Segment (Pilot Series) and tries to give a blend of both worlds.

Quote:
Can you explain the no clutch in the first 2 gears part? What are the others capabilities of being semi automatic?
+1, whats the no clutch in first 2 gears mean?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 17th April 2014 at 09:59.
vsrivatsa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 10:26   #1656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
whats the no clutch in first 2 gears mean?
It means you don't need to depress the clutch in either 1st or 2nd gear to keep the engine running when crossing a speed-breaker/pothole/traffic slowdown/standstill of a few seconds. Just brake according to your distances, then release brake. That's it.

Full details here - Throttle-less feature of the i-DTEC
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 11:20   #1657
BHPian

[quote=vsrivatsa;3415136]Here is good video on Primacy 3ST to help decide: .
While Michelin advertises this tyre for Safety, Slience, Comfort and Longevity the one thing they don't advertise this tyre for is Fuel Efficiency. The Video also features an Interview with a Michelin Marketing Person who again says the Energy Series (read XM2) is the one that is made for Fuel Efficiency. The Primacy 3ST sits between the Value Segment (Energy Series) and the high end Sports Segment (Pilot Series) and tries to give a blend of both worlds.

What about Michelin Primacy LC? I did not see anybody talking about this. It has been advertised in Michelin Website that it will reduce fuel bill.
Old 17th April 2014, 11:32   #1658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
No the booking amount is fully refundable. I have already talked to the current dealership. They do not have a problem.
Finally, a sure update for me. I have cancelled the current booking from Peninsular Honda and done a new booking at Perfect Honda, Trivandrum. My car (VX CVT) will be ready for delivery by June 2nd week and I'm going to take it around the 3rd week of June. Another good new for me is that the road tax in Kerala has been revamped and hence there is an actual reduction in On road price. The VX CVT now costs 12.54 on road from the earlier 12.61

Test drove a SV CVT yesterday (had enough info from neel911). Was really impressed with the power on tap. Did not hear any knocking sound as reported.

Waiting for 2 more months, to get the City unless the Toyota Corolla Altis CVT to be launched in May will not change my mind
Old 17th April 2014, 12:16   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
What about Michelin Primacy LC? I did not see anybody talking about this. It has been advertised in Michelin Website that it will reduce fuel bill.
No - not recommended. The Primacy Luxury Comfort has complaints related to having very soft side walls leading to punctures often and the longevity has been poor based on reports of other users on this forum.

The P3ST was built specifically for Asia-Pacific conditions and is essentially a replacement for the LC model which would possibly retired sometime.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 13:36   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
No - not recommended. The Primacy Luxury Comfort has complaints related to having very soft side walls leading to punctures often and the longevity has been poor based on reports of other users on this forum.

The P3ST was built specifically for Asia-Pacific conditions and is essentially a replacement for the LC model which would possibly retired sometime.
We have been using Primacy LC in our Cruze for 42000 kms now and touchwood there have been no punctures or sidewall damages to report , the drive till date is silky smooth and completely noise free , they look good for another 10k kms atleast. But since 3ST is its successor , has stiffer sidewall and has been improved in all departments , it makes sense to go with 3ST.
Old 17th April 2014, 20:59   #1661
BHPian

Finally the time is nearing. The registration process is done and I will be getting my new City V MT (White Princess) on Monday. Super Excited!

I just talked to one of the Tyre Dealers for Michelin XM2. The price offered was Rs. 5,750 per tyre. I am not yet sure of which tyre I have (I was not able to go for a PDI due to office issues), but I asked the dealer for the prices in exchange of the stock tyres brand-wise.

In exchange of (prices mentioned for set of 4 tyres)
1. Michelin - Rs. 5,400 (Rs. 1,350 per tyre)
2. MRF - Rs. 9,400 (Rs. 2,350 per tyre)
3. Goodyear - Rs. 12,200 (Rs. 3,050 per tyre)

Are Goodyear that cheap that he is giving the least amount of buyback?
Old 17th April 2014, 22:17   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas08 View Post
Finally the time is nearing. The registration process is done and I will be getting my new City V MT (White Princess) on Monday. Super Excited!

I just talked to one of the Tyre Dealers for Michelin XM2. The price offered was Rs. 5,750 per tyre. I am not yet sure of which tyre I have (I was not able to go for a PDI due to office issues), but I asked the dealer for the prices in exchange of the stock tyres brand-wise.

Congratulations in advance

Did you swap the Michelin and Goodyear in the list mentioned? I believe the last one is for Michelin
Old 17th April 2014, 22:19   #1663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

In my experience, Goodyear GT3 is a better tire than MRF ZVTV. In fact, I'll rate ZVTV as the worst tire every sold after Goodyear GPS2.

Difficult to comment on the pricing part as it involves margins at multiple levels. Who saves where and makes his cut where, the end customer really cant say. I read somewhere that car manufactures buy these tires from tire companies in bulk for as little as 500 bucks apiece. Imagine!

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 17th April 2014 at 22:20.
Old 17th April 2014, 22:32   #1664
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations in advance

Did you swap the Michelin and Goodyear in the list mentioned? I believe the last one is for Michelin
No. The prices mentioned by me are correct in terms of order.

Just so that it is clear, the pricea indicated are for Michelin XM2 for 4 tyres in exchange of each of the brands which are seen on the new city. So i the dealer is correctly giving more buyback if my stock tyres would be Michelin and least if they are goodyear.
Old 17th April 2014, 22:34   #1665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When I did the research that was how it was as well - the GoodYears are supposed to be the worst of the lot. I ended up with MRF ZVTVs and swapped them with the Michelin XM2s. Again, Honda should ideally provide the top variants such as V/VX with only Michelins or Bridgestones which I heard Hyundai follows with the Verna.

Most Viewed