Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2024, 20:00   #7291
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Extended warranty and RSA are two aspects on which you can expect to get pestered for renewal during every service.

In my case, decided not to renew both post the 4th year and it has been fine and the car is in its 10th year (touchwood).

Also changed the servicing frequency from every 6 months to once a year for the last 5 years as the car usage had dropped to less than 10K Km running every year.
Old 29th March 2024, 00:49   #7292

Hello All,

We have Honda City 4th Gen in India (purchased in Nov 2022). When I came for a vacation recently, I noticed that headlight performance is mediocre.

Any suggestions for upgrading headlights of a Honda City 4th Gen? I did a quick search in this site, Please point me to useful threads if possible.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th March 2024 at 03:43. Reason: Spacing, typos.
Old 31st March 2024, 22:26   #7293
BHPian

Dear Fellow Cityzens,

I'm reaching out regarding an issue I encountered today with my 4th Gen Honda City iVTec Petrol VX CVT, purchased in March 2016 and running smoothly with 65000 kilometers on the odometer. Today, during a trip to our farm land, which is just an hour's drive from my residence, some weird issues arose.

While parked under a roadside tree, enjoying a snack while waiting for harvesting machines, I noticed the air conditioning ceased functioning. Soon after, the audio system flickered off and on, and a red battery icon appeared. Subsequently, the power steering and ABS lights illuminated, and attempts to lower the windows proved fruitless for the driver's side, though the passenger side responded. This happened in cycles as the audio would go off/on and the error lights would repeat. I opened the bonnet to inspect the battery cables and found them intact.

Called a technician and he advised to switch off AC, audio etc and drive gradually towards a service center. He said the battery is draining again and again and it could be due to alternator problem. As we reduced electrical load, the car gradually returned to normal, with all warning lights extinguished.

Drove back home in 1 hour. Upon reaching home, the vehicle was promptly taken to the service center, where initial diagnostics revealed multiple errors. Being sunday they didnt have their senior technician in house and would get back tmrw morning.

Now I'm left wondering the potential causes:
1. Could it be rodent damage, despite the brief duration of parking and the car's operational status?
2. Is the battery at fault, despite no prior indications of issues during the last service?
3. Might it be an alternator malfunction or a more intricate problem?

I would greatly appreciate any insights or expertise on this matter to facilitate clearer communication with the service center staff.

Attachments : Pic 1 - battery error, Pic2- Power steering error? Pic3 - All errors vanished after switching off ac and driving the car back home. There were other errors like ABS etc which i forgot to take a photo.

Best regards,
Dev
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20240331_130920.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20240331_131107.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_20240331_145754.jpg  

Old 16th April 2024, 18:35   #7294
BHPian

Radiator motor fan failure on 2014 Honda City i-Vtec

We've had a 2014 Honda City i-Vtec MT from new. Its run ~1.5L Km so far.
The car has largely been fuss free - apart from regular maintenance and a few fender benders, our experience with it has been smooth. Still running with the original clutch. Shock absorbers were changed at 1.4L Km.

We are so satisfied with the City, that we got a 2015 City i-Dtec [Diesel], which was replaced with a 2020 City i-Vtec (5th gen). In fact, this 2014 one will be replaced by the next gen City, when it comes.

The radiator fan motor had failed on the car and we didn't notice it. It used to switch on intermittently. This caused the coolant to get super hot, puncture a hole in a radiator pipe and spew coolant in the engine bay.
Thankfully the issue was caught before serious damage was done, the car had lost ~1.5L of coolant.

The following parts need changing now
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-city_radiatormotor.jpg

I was surprised to hear that the wait time for the parts was 8 days, at Coimbatore.
We've never had to wait for any parts in Kochi - either they were off the shelf or shipped in a couple of days. But we've never needed parts of this sort, so I reserve my comments.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by the cost estimate from Honda Coimbatore. They were notorious for overcharging for their service / repairs. So much so that multiple acquaintances get their Honda cars serviced at Honda Palakkad (40km away)
This estimate here is in line with part costs on Boodmo.
blueberry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 10:36   #7295
BHPian

Our 2018 CVT ticked over 75k kms yesterday. This is our first car ever to cross this mark. Truly has been a fill it, shut it, forget it machine. More than 70k of these kms have been covered under the guise of a city beater in and around Mumbai. Only complaint being the small tank size prompting a fill up after every ~350kms. Have been toying with the idea to replace the car with a new hybrid one but being the car that introduced me to driving, the emotional attachment is holding me back.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_1932.jpeg
revsperminute is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2024, 22:26   #7296

Hi Team BHPians! This is my first proper post on this forum. I'm delighted to be part of this amazing community and I've been an avid reader of all the posts of our forum members. Not sure what inspired me to write a post all of a sudden sitting at my office, but here I am. We got a brand new Honda City SV MT 2 years ago and I wanted to give my shot at writing an ownership review.

A little background of our City:
We got the car on May 3rd 2022. A dark Grey Honda City standing in the front of the showroom glistening with the sunshine reflecting off its body. I was thrilled as I had steered the whole car buying process of my family. We had visited multiple brand showrooms, and I test drove all the cars in the price range of 8 to 15 Lakhs (which was our extended budget from 6L because I wanted a proper sedan ) My dad asked me to test drive all the cars since I had more attention to detail while test driving. All he cared about was the steering position and comfort of the driver seat. I had test driven Nexon, i20, Taigun, Kushaq, Amaze, Creta, Venue and the 5th gen City. Verna was low to the ground, Vento and Rapid had the tunnel running in between the back seats hence making it uncomfortable for the 3rd passenger in the back seat.
City ticked all the boxes for me and we finalized on the 5th gen V MT (manual transmission because of "vtec just kicked in yo!")
The price difference between the 4th gen SV MT and the 5th gen V MT was 3.5L and since we did not want any of the fancy features, the 4th gen ticked all the necessary boxes for us, and hence we went ahead with the SV MT variant of the 4th gen City.

Experience after 2 years of its ownership:

Overall Experience has been great. The car has been a great companion on multiple long drives and has been amazing to drive. It is a perfect balance between a driver's car and a chauffeur driven car. With spacious and comfortable back seats and a 1.5L i-VTEC peppy engine, why would I deny buying it at an amazing deal? Yes, we got this car at a price of 10.5L on road, which I see as an amazing deal! Coming to the good and bad experiences -

The good:

1) The engine is as good as new, didn't give any problems in this tenure of 2 years. Looking at my username you'd have understood I drive it on full throttle when I'm given a chance . I love the grunt it makes at higher RPMs and absolutely love the way the engine handles lower RPMs as well. I have loved every second of driving this car since the day I brought it home and foresee no purchase of a new car for the next 7 to 8 years atleast. A tiny niggle, there wasn't any bonnet insulation, hence I got one on Boodmo and installed it.

2) The car has excellent maneuverability and is a gem to drive on the highways. Delivers power easily to overtake vehicles. If not, then shift down a gear and you fly. Man oh man does it feel good to shift down a gear on this car

3) Coming to the "Kitna deti hai" question, the car gives around 14kmpl on an average. When driven around 80 to 90 kmph on the highways , it gives 18 to 19kmpl mileage whereas it gives 12 or 13kmpl in the city which I think is a very decent mileage.

4) Personally I prefer the looks of the 4th Gen City over the 5th Gen. I feel the 4th Gen is a bit more aggressive compared to the humble looking 5th Gen. I prefer dark colors and the dark Grey was the closest colour to black. It looks stunning during the night as well as in bright sunlight.

5) My dad and I prefer to have halogen headlights to avoid blinding the other vehicles since we are daily victims of being blinded by cars coming with bright LED headlamps somehow always on high beam as well. Also, the halogen lamps on the car were good and gave good visibility in both low and high beams.

6) The car is well insulated and we can barely hear the engine or wind noise (maybe we feel like this because we came from a 11 year old i10), but at high speeds, there is a lot of road noise that comes in, which is pretty uncomfortable.

The bad:

1) The car has run nearly 57,000 kms in its 2 year tenure and hence has got its fair share of wounds over its body including 2 major bumps because of idiots on the road, one being a school bus and the other being a car. The bus dealt a heavy blow on the bonnet, fender and the headlights cracking open the headlight and disfiguring the front of our car. (Sad part is our insurance had expired an year ago and we had no intimation from the insurance company whatsoever and my dad had forgotten to pay it). There are a lot of minor scratches as well and I need to convince my dad to get it worked on by a good service shop.

3) The suspension is a bit hard to my liking and at low speeds the back seat becomes a tad bit uncomfortable. The car goes unscathed over most of the speed breakers and has not been a problem for me

4) The car's air conditioning seems to have a problem, the car doesn't cool the interiors as well as our previous i10, and it takes a very long time to cool the cabin. This complain was given to the service centre last time, but the issue was only temporarily solved and is back now. Need suggestions on what the issue could be, and how it can be resolved.

5) The aftermarket infotainment system that we installed is very bad considering the price we paid for it and the problems it gives us. The GPS doesn't work well and the service centre told us that they cannot rectify it for us since it is not Honda's product. The reason we installed aftermarket system was because even if we got the higher variant, it did not have Android Auto or Apple Carplay. The rear view camera tilts often and everytime the service centre keeps fixing it for us. Not sure why they've fitted a microphone when it cannot capture any audio as well. Absolute waste of money.

6) The shift from 1st to 2nd gear is hard and the gear gets stuck midway from neutral to 2nd gear very often. When we complained about this issue to the service centre, we were told that all 4th gen City's have this issue (whereas I never came across this issue in all the reviews that I read and saw).

7) The clutch plate seems to be wearing out and might need a replacement soon and the front windshield wipers are begging to be replaced.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to giving subsequent reviews. Below are some photos I've clicked of our beautiful machine.
Attached Thumbnails
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-picsart_230704_212522929.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-screenshot_20240424_191226_instagram.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-screenshot_20240424_191337_instagram.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-screenshot_20240424_192209_gallery.jpg  

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img20220304wa0019.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2024 at 22:29. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
revvingbeast is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks