Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2023, 08:59   #7216

Re: 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review

Anyone recently has replaced the stock music system with a 3rd party one? I was contemplating doing one last year itself when mine was gone (the touch is completely insensitive since a year and Honda said they can't do anything) and I was waiting for my car to complete 5 years (which it will this July). So I'm planning to replace it with Android Auto & Apple carplay unit (my budget is ~15-20K).

If anyone did it quite recently, please let me know. My requirement is to have BOTH Android Auto & Apple carplay since I have an iPhone and my wife has an Android.
Old 4th June 2023, 10:39   #7217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvarvish View Post
Anyone recently has replaced the stock music system with a 3rd party one? I was contemplating doing one last year itself when mine was gone (the touch is completely insensitive since a year and Honda said they can't do anything) and I was waiting for my car to complete 5 years (which it will this July). So I'm planning to replace it with Android Auto & Apple carplay unit (my budget is ~15-20K).

If anyone did it quite recently, please let me know. My requirement is to have BOTH Android Auto & Apple carplay since I have an iPhone and my wife has an Android.
Hi Ramvarish, I just did two months back and the set that I installed has both Apple Car Play and Android Auto, though both are wired. You can read more about it in my post here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5493580 (4th-gen Honda City : Official Review)
Old 4th June 2023, 13:20   #7218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvarvish View Post
So I'm planning to replace it with Android Auto & Apple carplay unit (my budget is ~15-20K).

Not recently, but a couple of years back, I got Pioneer DMH Z 5290 for around 24k ( price got reduced now ) https://www.motorogue.in/pioneer-dmh...hoCFjUQAvD_BwE

I am glad with my choice - seamless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay ( wired) , though the touch is resistive . I would have preferred capacitative which Sony models have ( check out XAV 5000/5500 ) .

The quality of the sound output is truly amazing even with the stock speakers.
Old 10th June 2023, 14:56   #7219
BHPian

Can someone help in knowing which valves are used in Honda City? Can I use Triton 414?

Tyre dealer recently told me that Triton valve costs 250 but I checked on Amazon and I see a set of 4 costs 250. This is huge difference - 1000 vs 250 for 4 valves.

I have to replace tyres and although every dealer I spoke to is suggesting Yoko Earth 1 but I am planning to get either Bluearth or UC6 for lower noise.
Old 14th June 2023, 12:18   #7220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Can someone help in knowing which valves are used in Honda City?
TR413 valves are used in Honda City. I bought them @32 each in 2019 from Boodmo and now it sells @41 each.
Old 19th June 2023, 13:57   #7221
BHPian

Hi All,

This is a query regarding my Honda City VX CVT, 2015 model which I have recently bought used from Spinny. The problem is w.r.t the steering of the car, but before that let me tell for reference that car was fully evaluated by an authorized Honda Dealer who found it to be immaculately maintained without any red flags. Car had 33K Kms. on odometer when I bought it in Feb and since then has done close to 3K Kms. mostly in Pune city traffic with one long drive to Panchgani.

Now let's come to the actual issue which is the steering wheel:

1. From the time I had bought the car the steering was slightly off-center and tilted towards left. I thought might be a wheel alignment issue and got the alignment done (twice at Tyre shops and once at Honda Dealer), which corrected the issue to a large extent, but it didn't vanish.

2. The bigger problem which I faced is w.r.t the weight of steering, now as you pick speeds, the steering weighs but with a heavy bias to the right while to the left it almost has a 5-degree free play before it shows some resistance. On the Pune-Panchgani trip when on long straights I could see that in speeds excess of 80 the steering tilt towards left was good 7-8 degrees, very pronounced and there was clear resistance towards right but not an evenly counter-balanced resistance to the left. Note that the car itself is not pulling to the left, but the steering just has a tendency to keep rotating towards left and being stable at a slight angle, which leads to nervousness and multiple correction. This issue is felt less in city speeds<60 but is clearly manifested in highway drives>80.

Now to give my background, I come from driving a 2007 Alto LX with manual steering which was different driving experience and have had my fair share of driving across India and US from humble Alto to 200 bhp Nissan Rogue and do have some understanding of what to expect and what not from an EPS in Honda City. But this behavior that I am seeing is off and is to an extent on the highway that I don't feel confident in taking the car to triple digits. Since wheel alignment is already done thrice, I don't think that is the issue. Apart from this car is pretty refined, the engine-transmission combo is smooth and delivering is expected.

Posting it here for any suggestions on what might be the problem and how can I correct it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 8th July 2023 at 10:09. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
Old 6th July 2023, 20:42   #7222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp View Post
Hi All,
This is a query regarding my Honda City VX CVT, 2015 model which I have recently bought used from Spinny.
Posting it here for any suggestions on what might be the problem and how can I correct it.
Awaiting feedback from fellow BHPians here!!
Old 6th July 2023, 21:33   #7223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp View Post
Awaiting feedback from fellow BHPians here!!
Haven’t had your specific issue on my City but yes my steering rack was making some weird noises after ~55k kms. Got it changed as preventive maintenance.

You can refer to the invoice on this post:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5548756 (4th-gen Honda City : Official Review)

When it comes to your specific issue, I’d suggest taking the car to a competent independent garage if the ASC can’t figure it out. Also, Spinny sells it’s cars with some level of warranty right?
Old 7th July 2023, 19:49   #7224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Haven’t had your specific issue on my City but yes my steering rack

When it comes to your specific issue, I’d suggest taking the car to a competent independent garage if the ASC can’t figure it out. Also, Spinny sells it’s cars with some level of warranty right?
Thanks revsperminute, there isn't any noise in the steering but that play does remain and the steering feels nervous always. Spinny did cover the car but this is a type of issue which is hard for our ASCs to accept so don't want to bang my head with Spinny, they will be least concerned. I have the service due in Aug, so will ask Honda ASC to address it, if they don't will take it to a trusted FNG of mine.
Old 10th July 2023, 12:54   #7225
BHPian

Can someone share their experience in using an LED bulb on the standard Honda City 2014 headlamps? I see an Osram H4 LED listed on Amazon but not sure if it would work well on a non-projector set-up? https://amzn.eu/d/e31NqAj
Old 10th July 2023, 13:09   #7226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Can someone share their experience in using an LED bulb on the standard Honda City 2014 headlamps? I see an Osram H4 LED listed on Amazon but not sure if it would work well on a non-projector set-up? https://amzn.eu/d/e31NqAj
4th Gen City had individual bulbs for low beam and high beam. High beam bulb is HB3 and low beam is H7 IIRC ( or was it H11 ). I have Osram LED in high beam for my 2014 City and they do very little to help the situation. The lights are weak by design itself and the overlap between low beam and high beam throw is quite weird. And it gets worse in rains. Both my bulbs, i.e. low beam and high beam aren't helping much, though better than halogens. H4 bulb is a dual filament bulb and it wont fit in 4th Generation City.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 16:04   #7227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
4th Gen City had individual bulbs for low beam and high beam. High beam bulb is HB3 and low beam is H7 IIRC ( or was it H11 ). I have Osram LED in high beam for my 2014 City and they do very little to help the situation. The lights are weak by design itself and the overlap between low beam and high beam throw is quite weird. And it gets worse in rains. Both my bulbs, i.e. low beam and high beam aren't helping much, though better than halogens. H4 bulb is a dual filament bulb and it wont fit in 4th Generation City.
Thanks, you're right! The low beam is H11 halogen and this is what I am looking to upgrade. I have been using an Osram Night Breaker Unlimited for the past 4 years and I feel that the intensity of the low beam has diminished over the years to an extent that I feel it on the road quite often.

My choices at this point for replacement are:
(a) Osram Night breaker Laser. https://amzn.eu/d/8ijtOql
(b) Osram LED with integrated driver set https://amzn.eu/d/fxWFi4g

Have you used this LED as listed above but not getting the desired outcome?

In that case, would you recommend staying with halogen and go for NB Laser?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2023 at 18:56. Reason: Minor spacing for improved readability
Old 19th July 2023, 13:08   #7228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My choices at this point for replacement are:
(a) Osram Night breaker Laser. https://amzn.eu/d/8ijtOql
(b) Osram LED with integrated driver set https://amzn.eu/d/fxWFi4g

Have you used this LED as listed above but not getting the desired outcome?

In that case, would you recommend staying with halogen and go for NB Laser?
Osram LED is what I had am having 25W ones. Before switching to LED, I had installed Halogens bulb but not to much gain. I would suggest you change both, Low and High beam to LED. Low beam LED and halogen high beam wont help, the dull high beam would be poor in face of LED low beam. This is inherent focus issue of reflectors. Light gets scattered a lot, cars like Wagon R have better lights. However, I have left the parking light as it is. Going for higher powered LED wont help beyond an extent due to design of reflectors. It will just scatter around and impact oncoming traffic more than help you see the road better.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th July 2023 at 13:09.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 23:35   #7229
BHPian

Wanted to update that I ordered the 50W Osram LEDriving HL Premium bulbs ordered online and fixed them myself to replace the Philips Extreme Vision I had on 2014 Honda City. I have ordered the 4200K variants so that I donot have any problem during the rains or in fog as people have with 6000K LEDs. Here are the box that the bulbs came in and the labels
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6835.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6836.jpg

The construction looked fairly robust though they are made in China. Fixing them was a little tricky as I had to also ensure that the bulbs were fixed so that the LED blade is vertical and the light goes on to the reflectors horizontally to the left and right.

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6832.jpg

You can see below the differences in light output from the 50W LED bulb (on the left) and the Philips Extreme Vision halogen bulb (on the right). Both are yellow though.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6830.jpg

The light output appears to have significantly improved with this upgrade and I am quite happy with the results. You can see the low beam lights in the basement parking as well as well as a dimly lit service road.
4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6834.jpg

4th-gen Honda City : Official Review-img_6840.jpg

They costed 6900 for a pair but I'm sure that the improved illumination/ visibility as well and the longer life expectancy of the LED will pay back against the standard halogen bulb.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st July 2023 at 23:20. Reason: Image orientation corrected
outdoorlover is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 23:44   #7230

Quote:
Wanted to update that I ordered the 50W Osram LEDriving HL Premium bulbs ordered online and fixed them myself to replace the Philips Extreme Vision I had on 2014 Honda City. I have ordered the 4200K variants so that I donot have any problem during the rains or in fog as people have with 6000K LEDs. Here are the box that the bulbs came in and the labels

Thanks for the update as I’m myself looking to get an upgrade on the headlights, knowing how Indian roads could be, a better lighting is always a boon.

The OSRAM 4200k LEDs you mentioned are also yellow as I can see from the image? Shouldn’t LEDs be white? Pardon my ignorance since I’m new to the world of cars, just got my personal car a few weeks back (2014 City aswell)

Did you also change the fog lamps?

Last edited by bblost : 20th July 2023 at 23:52. Reason: reduced size of quoted post.

Most Viewed