Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2015, 18:22   #76
BANNED

re: Review: The 2015 Hyundai Verna Facelift (2nd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
It was always present even in the first generation.
Sorry, missed the notifications of the quote by you.

What was present since the first generation? Do you mean the sticker?
Old 20th February 2015, 18:24   #77
BHPian

Where's the company who developed master pieces like Grand i10 & Elite i20, which revolutionized their respective segments after the launch? Same holds true for the Eon & 2011 Fluidic Verna!

I foresee a Mobilio-Ertiga story to be replayed now. I remember how prospective buyers were waiting for Mobilio launch, and how they quickly turned back and booked Ertiga, upon realization How Bad Mobilio was!

There were lot of buyers waiting for Verna update, just to check if its any better than City & Ciaz (whilst Verna is not that bad as Mobilio), most of them will be seen in Honda & MSIL showrooms coming weekend, booking Ciaz's & City's
And guess what, you will find MSIL Ciaz designers partying somewhere nearby
Aficionados is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 18:29   #78
Senior - BHPian

I like the new design. But there should have been major changes in terms of parts or equipment. They should revamp the offering instead of just reacting to competition with face lifts.
Old 20th February 2015, 18:46   #79
BHPian

I would definitely not buy any Hyundai product just because the company does not value me as a customer any more. What was the company thinking when equipping this car with the AT from my grandfathers time and pricing it as per 2015 standards!
Old 20th February 2015, 19:09   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry, missed the notifications of the quote by you.

What was present since the first generation? Do you mean the sticker?

Yes, the sticker Even I noticed it a week back in my 2009 Verna
Old 20th February 2015, 19:57   #81
BHPian

Can any one throw some light on whether or not the improved rear suspension system be fitted on the old Verna? And if yes, what could be the approximate cost? For me the rear suspension is the only major issue in my car.

Thanks
Old 20th February 2015, 20:47   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Can any one throw some light on whether or not the improved rear suspension system be fitted on the old Verna? And if yes, what could be the approximate cost? For me the rear suspension is the only major issue in my car.
'Old Verna' - do you mean the fluidic one or the older than that generation?

IMO why not look at after market kits like Bilstein etc?
Old 20th February 2015, 21:05   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
'Old Verna' - do you mean the fluidic one or the older than that generation?

IMO why not look at after market kits like Bilstein etc?
By old Verna, I mean old fluidic one. Just think that after market kits may be too expensive & may be there will be service issues. Also availability is an issue in my state- Odisha. Currently I am using four spring assisters, which have made lots of improvement to the ride quality of my car.
Old 20th February 2015, 22:24   #84
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
By old Verna, I mean old fluidic one. Just think that after market kits may be too expensive & may be there will be service issues. Also availability is an issue in my state- Odisha. Currently I am using four spring assisters, which have made lots of improvement to the ride quality of my car.
Oh ok. But I think that Hyundai ASC won't be able to the fit correctly and create a headache at later stages. If the change happens in the factory with the right set of tools and training then I will trust getting the suspension upgraded from Hyundai.
Old 21st February 2015, 00:56   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
1. Rear disc brakes: Instead of providing bling features rain sensing wipers and auto headlamps, it will be much more useful to rather have rear disc brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Playing the devil's advocate, I do not understand the hue and cry regarding the omission of rear disc brakes. As a positive, the review says that ABS is now offered across the range, which is actually a welcome move. The highly regarded segment leaders - Ciaz, Fiesta, Vento, Rapid, City, none of these offer rear discs. Linea offers it only on the T-Jet version. So, why should Hyundai care? The next argument is enthusiasts care about it. But was the Verna an enthusiast's car any time? It is always been reported that Verna's suspension and steering is nowhere near to an enthusiast's taste. So, it is actually logical for a company to cater tot he mass market, by offering features that actually attract the majority buyers. Unless it is proven that it has affected the braking efficiency (like the L and V variants of Swift), I don't see a point for this negative criticism.
Here is my take on the rear disc brake. I drive a 2012 Verna with rear disc brakes and ABS. I have numerous on-road experiences that enhanced my confidence of having rear disc brakes combined with ABS. And, Yes, I will choose a car with rear discs (combined with an ABS and EB), over a car that comes with only front discs.

And, what is good about removing the rear discs? It has become less expensive to maintain. The recent brake pad change cost me Rs. 3,600/- a pair for rear and Rs. 1,100/- a pair for the front!
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:31   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True. And S2!!! also tried panic braking. He didn't face any issues.
The real problem is giving something, then taking it away. If the Verna never had rear disc brakes, no one would have complained. But once you give a feature, it's surely going to be missed if withdrawn.
Thanks for the inputs on panic braking GTO. But I totally agree with your point on giving something and taking it back. This creates a negative feeling and on a similar note, I was disappointed when they removed the 3-point seat belt for the middle passenger from the i20, which they used to offer, once upon a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4Drive View Post
Here is my take on the rear disc brake. I drive a 2012 Verna with rear disc brakes and ABS. And, Yes, I will choose a car with rear discs (combined with an ABS and EB), over a car that comes with only front discs.
Sorry to be blunt, but if you cover all the brake discs/drums in a normal car and give it for a test drive, most of the people will not be able to tell which is which. I agree that disc brakes at rear will enhance the psychological feel good factor. My XUV has all disc brakes and Figo has drums at the rear; both has ABS. But in an emergency situation, I would rather be in the Figo, because the brake there is much better calibrated than in the XUV, where it feels spongy for some time and bites thereafter (non-linear). My point is simple - Having disc brakes at rear does not give you any benefit, until and unless it is well calibrated. As I said earlier, I will choose a brake system which is well calibrated and effective, rather than simply picking an ill-tuned one with rear disc.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 14:33   #87
BHPian

Not withstanding the negative feedback received here [ and elsewhere ] , my BIL booked the 4S S(O) after owning [ and selling] a Verna fluidic. Not interested in Ciaz [not premium for C-2 and underpowered, as he thinks] ], the other options open were Vento and Rapid but as it happens, the horror stories associated to them scared him miles away from the German cars and the 'leader of the segment' Honda City, could not make up for the careless attitude of its Customer Service .

The Verna fluidic was definitely a looker with that 'fluidic lines' but now, every other car on the road features those lines [ including the City] and I personally don't feel 4S is anymore stunning than City is . And the Suspension and handling, nothing can be said until the TD.

Confirmed the model [without the TD]and the SA informed that he would get back with the delivery date tomorrow.

Though I am not happy with the decision[ which I think was preconceived ] , yet it is not me who is paying up and not much of my business to ponder about.

But yeah, on the brighter side, for all I care, I will get to take it out for Highway sprints !

Last edited by poised2drive : 23rd February 2015 at 14:34.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2015, 15:09   #88
BHPian

Great if they have been able to sort out the ride quality and the claustrophobic rear seat. They were killing an otherwise cool product. And can somebody please tell me why the next gens being launched in 2014/15 mere cosmetic upgrades from the previous gen. The same was the case with Linea, then City(sans interiors) and now Verna? Are the designers playing it safe?
Old 24th February 2015, 15:11   #89
BHPian

Hits and misses apart, Hyundai's refresh cycles and speed to market deserve appreciation. Couldn't agree more with GTO, Hyundai's focus to keep its portfolio as 'fresh' as possible does augur well for a brand which aims to close in on the huge gap with the leader MS. However, it takes an awful lot than a mere facelift to regain the coveted C2 segment leadership.

They had a unique opportunity to prove that facelifts aren't always about cosmetic changes but addressing the chronic issues. The writing on the wall was clear for Verna. CRDi is a gem of an engine, all it needed was a dynamic suspension and handling to complement 126 horses let loose. As is evident from this review and many other initial impressions, Verna is going nowhere with this ride quality and handling.

Having owned(June,2013) one myself, I find the front fascia a bit better than the old version but it appears highly borrowed. Verna would also have the dubious distinction of undoing the so called segment firsts viz..,rear disc brakes, spare alloy wheel, dual chrome muffler etc..,

Their marketing muscle is fully flexed to make the 4S appear as if its a design revolution which is clearly not the case. It would be interesting to see how it fares in the coming months. If it can convince the prospects into thinking twice about striking it off their list, the facelift would have served its purpose.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:47   #90
Team-BHP Support

Verna has real matured look now - and I must say I'm liking the new look. Hated it at first but it the design has really grown on me.

But the real disappointment has been the minimal addition and even removal of features, coming from a company known to give the latest gizmos in its cars.

1. Autofold ORVMS missing (Present in Xcent)
2. Passenger side keyless entry request sensor missing (Present in Xcent)
3. The new headunit with 1 GB storage, call log access etc seems to be directly borrowed from Xcent. Does it still offer a remote control as earlier?
4. New keyfob is shared with Xcent.
5. IRVMs are shared with the Xcent, and miss out on the adaptive guidelines introduced in the Elite i20.
6. Rear a/c vents missing. (Present in Xcent)
7. Adjust rear neck restraints (Present in Xcent).
8. Rear 12V charging point. (Present in Xcent).
9. Rear cabin lamps (Present in Xcent).

I am mentioning Xcent above since I have one and hence can easily point out the differences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
CVT? I prefer torque-converter ATs & DSGs over the CVT. Any particular reason you mentioned CVTs? Only a handful of manufacturers (e.g. Nissan) sell a CVT in India today.
I believe the segment leader in terms of sales (among automatics) is still the City CVT.

Even here in team-bhp, although most of us swear by DSGs, there are still a very high number of City CVT owners and must say that they are a happy lot. Decent performance and good efficiency for a petrol automatic. Read a few owners reporting 14 - 17 kmpl figures whereas it ranges between 11-13 for my Xcent torque-converter AT.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th February 2015 at 16:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks