Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 16:18   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Celerio Diesel : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
No it is not.
Buddy I do not know the legalities. But to my untrained eyes, Maruti has never claimed that the engine in Celerio is derived from a Fiat sourced engine. DDIS is Maruti's brand, Fiat in my opinion cannot sue them even if they want for using the same brand name for another engine because of the simple reason that the name DDIS does not belong to Fiat. It was developed (The Brand) by Maruti and there is nothing wrong in using it. Yes they may end up diluting the DDIS brand (if such a thing exists).

Unless you know of any agreement between the two companies that says Maruti cannot use the DDIS branding for any technology other than fiat sourced MJD, I hardly see any fault in using the name across different engines irrespective of their lineage.

DDIS is there today because of Maruti. For all its worth, MJD sells probably in half the number outside of Maruti.

Although I do agree that if the dealers claim its the same engine, it is unethical on the part of the dealers or plain ignorance.
Old 5th October 2015, 16:18   #107
BHPian

Re: Maruti concerned over Celerio diesel's slow sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Being Maruti's and even Suzuki's first attempt at a diesel engine, the response received from the market can be best termed as lukewarm.
For me the primary reason seems to be cost as the celerio petrol itself feels a bit overpriced, and lets not forget initial cost plays a major factor in small car sale.

To add to that celerio diesel is very unrefined.
Old 5th October 2015, 17:12   #108
BHPian

Re: Maruti concerned over Celerio diesel's slow sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
At the time of its introduction, company expected 20-30% of Celerio customers to opt for the diesel. However, the percentage seems much lower, with the petrol and the AMT versions still forming the majority chunk of the Celerio sales. Being Maruti's and even Suzuki's first attempt at a diesel engine, the response received from the market can be best termed as lukewarm.

Link to news article
Not surprising at all. I found the Celerio overpriced to start with and with the diesel I thought that Maruti was banking on its "kitna deti hai" philosophy to try and push this product.

When I was discussing with some colleagues, the common consensus was that this was a very good move by Maruti but the launchpad was wrong. This should have been introduced in the budget cars, i.e. Alto, and also in the Eeco / Omni. Typically in these segments (esp Omni), people wouldn't be much bothered about the NVH levels and more interested on mileage / running costs. They should have done R&D in these cars before launching on higher models.

In today's date, time and transparency of information, selling a 2-cylinder engine upwards of Rs 6 lacs was a wild dream and Maruti seems to be having a lot of those till date such as the S-Cross with DDIS 320 for Rs 16 lacs and launch only in diesel. Let's see how the Baleno goes now.
Old 5th October 2015, 22:17   #109
BHPian

Celerio Diesel is not only a pricing mistake, there is a lot of other things wrong with that product.
I have seen some of the 3Cyl petrol Celerio vibrate and it is not inspiring any confidence in the product. The NVH for a 2 pot diesel is worst for a small car.

Coupled with price levels and bad NVH, this was a Dead on arrival product.

AMT is the only reason why Celerio is selling. Without AMT even the petrol model will struggle.
Old 6th October 2015, 10:39   #110
BHPian

As always, awesome review!

Hearing that engine note was the most disturbing thing. What on earth made them develop such an over priced product with a 2-pot diesel and present in front of customers. The engine is best suited for a pick up and nothing more.
Old 7th October 2015, 14:03   #111
Senior - BHPian

MSIL was under the impression that the standard success of "Kitna deti hai" will work well for the 2 pot diesel mill in Celerio; which unfortunately didn't work.

Also, if you look at Celerio per say, it has been used as "test bed" for piloting several experiments by MSIL wherein the company decided not to touch any of their established products.

Let's assume that the diesel mill experiment is not a success yet correction in pricing would create confusion among buyers. On the other hand, since there is nothing wrong in the engine except the finesse / NVH; it can well be used for

- Commercial segment (Eeco, Omni and other planned pickups)
- Alto (entry level segment wherein KWID has created ripples - this could be a counter move by MSIL) - they would get a chance to price it appropriately too.
Old 7th October 2015, 16:31   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Also, if you look at Celerio per say, it has been used as "test bed" for piloting several experiments by MSIL wherein the company decided not to touch any of their established products.
Meanwhile it would be interesting to see a 3 pot 1.2 and 4 pot 1.6 from this family of engines. I think that would be their roadmap once this testing phase is over. Refinement levels are an important factor for anything higher than 4 lakhs. Whatever equipments you put, they can't hide that annoying NVH levels. I don't think Maruti engineers will be wondering why this one is not selling well.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 7th October 2015 at 16:35.
Old 30th November 2015, 17:31   #113
BHPian

Had a chance of test driving Maruti Celerio, both petrol and diesel at Wonder Cars Chinchwad, this Sunday with my friend.

While petrol AMT was a pleasure to drive, diesel Celerio vibrated a lot. Especially, at the signal it used shake a lot and even back seat passengers can feel it. Unless you are mileage conscious, it is not recommended to go for the 798cc engine. It's better to wait for a bigger and powerful engine. I didn't feel bad because our nano already vibrates a lot so this is not new to me.

My friend booked a white colour Celerio Petrol AMT because he didn't like the diesel clatter.

I saw WagonR VXi AMT test drive vehicles being driven by their staff inside the workshop premises. Sorry I couldn't take photos as they didn't allow me.

Last edited by turbodude : 30th November 2015 at 17:33. Reason: punctuation marks missing.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:21   #114
BHPian

Gaadiwaadi.com reports that the Celerio DDiS would be put to rest.
five46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:48   #115
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
Gaadiwaadi.com reports that the Celerio DDiS would be put to rest.
I'll be fairly relieved if the Celerio DDiS 125 turns out to be the first and last car to be powered by a two-pot diesel engine in India!

Let Maruti Suzuki use this two-banger diesel lump in applications where it is meant to be used (i.e. small commercial vehicles like the Super Carry).

Last edited by RSR : 19th September 2016 at 18:54.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 12:08   #116
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Maruti planning to shelve Celerio Diesel

Media reports suggest that Maruti Suzuki is planning to discontinue the diesel powertrain of the Celerio hatchback. This step is being mulled over after studying the changing market preferences in India.

The recent ban on diesel vehicles in Delhi and NCR has shifted buyer preference towards petrol cars. As a result, many manufacturers are now reporting a fall in their diesel car sales. Moreover, there is an air of ambiguity around the future of diesel cars, especially in the small car segment. The narrowing price gap between diesel and petrol, and increasing fuel economy of petrol engines is further decreasing diesel engines' popularity.

Moreover, with the upcoming Euro VI regulations, Suzuki will need to make a big investment to upgrade the diesel engine to comply with new emission norms. This might not be financially feasible in a market that isn't really accepting small diesel cars. The expenditure on upgrading the diesel engine will translate to a higher price tag for the Celerio diesel, as compared to its petrol counterpart. This widening gap can further be a hindrance in the diesel's sales. All these reasons have cumulatively forced Maruti to rethink its diesel small car plans.

The Celerio diesel draws power from a 793 cc, 2-cylinder diesel unit, which Maruti has named DDiS 125. This engine produces 47 BHP @ 3,500 rpm and 125 Nm of torque @ 2,000 rpm. The car was launched in June 2015.

This engine was the first diesel engine developed by Suzuki. The company had reportedly invested Rs. 900 crores to develop this powerplant. Maruti had already expressed concern about the falling sales of the Celerio diesel, just 4 months after its introduction.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 20th September 2016 at 12:11.
dZired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 14:34   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Rumour: Maruti planning to shelve Celerio Diesel
They should have known this at first when they launched the engine with its poor NVH levels like the diesel autos. And to think that they have spent 900 Cr. to develop this engine

There was also a rumour that Maruti planning to introduce this 2-Pot diesel mill in Alto - are they going to shelve that plan too?
Old 20th September 2016, 17:58   #118
BHPian

900 Crores for an engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
[b]Rumour: The company had reportedly invested Rs. 900 crores to develop this powerplant.
Maruti claimed to have invested Rs. 860 Crores for developing the Vitara Brezza; Rs. 40 crores lesser than the engine cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
The company has invested Rs. 860 crore into this project

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 20th September 2016 at 17:59.
Old 21st September 2016, 01:22   #119
BHPian

900Crs to develop a 2 pot under-powered, noisy diesel engine? Even if they had plonked in the MJD and subsidized it by 50K, the 900Cr would have lasted for 1.8Lk cars.

Not to forget the buyers would have been a happy lot!
anand.shankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2016, 10:19   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Celerio diesel does only 600- 700 per month in terms of volumes, halts production, speculated to review the production of this variant in 2017 .

Maruti Celerio Diesel : Official Review-capture.jpg

Source- ET Now
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks