Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2020, 10:56   #1
BHPian

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review

Hello Team-BHP family, I tried looking for some ownership reports on VW Ameo when I was in the process of buying one. As my previous car, a 2014 Hyundai i20 Asta Crdi, was indeed an excellent car, however, due to the growing traffic on hourly basis in the NCR region, and due to my bad lower back, the doctors advised me to switch to an automatic at the earliest.

Prologue:

I only wanted to buy a real automatic, however my budget was not more than 10 lakhs. Not much true automatics are available in that price, majorly this segment is flooded with AMTs. The AMT’s inherent head nodes, and lot of AMT cars available on OLX and other websites, raised question about the satisfaction of owning an automatic.

My requirements were:

• True Automatic (DSG/DCT/Torque Convertor)
• Powerful Engine
• Within the set budget of 10 lakh.

Though I was never a fan of the design of the Ameo, I still went ahead to the dealership and took the test drive. The rear looks a bit odd, but that is how most of the sub 4 meter compact sedans are, they all looks odd to me from the rear profile, be it the Honda Amaze or the Maruti Dzire. Hence went ahead and booked the Ameo Highline Plus DSG at Volkswagen Capital, Mathura Road Delhi, on 13th of December 2019. The same day I handed over the i20 to the new buyer, sold through Team-BHP Classifieds to a fellow BHPian (bking), as was promised the delivery in approximately 4 days time as the car was already in dealer’s stock.

The Trauma/Dealership Experience:

After the booking, the formalities were completed by 18th of December and I was promised the delivery in a couple of days. 19th of December, they billed the car and asked me to take the delivery anytime. I asked about the registration number allotted to my car. To my surprise, the dealership was planning to deliver me the car on their Trade-Certificate number. I was not willing for that and told them the same as the trade certificates are issued to the dealership to be used on the test drive cars, not to be used to deliver the cars to customers. If someone accepts the delivery with a Trade Certificate, the insurance will not be valid and it also attracts a heavy fine from the traffic police.

The sales personal told me that the dealership has completed all the formalities with the RTO and it’s the RTO which is not giving them the user id and password to register the vehicles. I cross checked with my contacts and found out that they have not submitted the bank guarantee required by the RTO and hence they were not able to register the vehicles. I demanded a loaner car till the time they complete the formalities but the dealership refused (24th December 2019-already more than 10 days without a car).
This crossed my line of patience and I spoke to one the director level person from the group (Landmark Group). He assured me that he would try to get this resolved on priority which he actually did. He spoke to the VP of the Volkswagen vertical of the company and the GM Sales called me same day evening and promised me a loaner car on 25th of December. The loaner car provided was a VW Polo TDI, but without a PUC and Insurance docs. I didn’t take any chances and did not drive it much. Plus, im used to drive clean cars and the loaner car provided was in the worst of condition, not mechanically, but interior and exterior were in pathetic shape. But I didn’t get aggressive with anyone till this time. Also, the tax was deposited on 25th December only.

On 30th December 2019, the dealership’s customer care sent me emails welcoming me to VW family. This really brushed me the wrong way, morning of 31st December 2019 I called the number provided in the email as their VP’s contact number to speak to him about the same. The number was not the VP’s but was another department of Landmark. I requested the person to make me speak with the VP. He promised me a call back within an hour. After the time was long past due, I called again, this time again got the same revert. But I did not hung up and shot all verbal bullets to him (no abuses). The VP called me and I told him clearly if I don’t get my car by 1st of January 2020, I’m not interested anymore and demanded my money to be refunded. He promised me that he is doing his level best for my case. My car was registered on 31st December 2019 and finally got the delivery on 2nd January 2020 as 1st was an off with the dealership.

The car has swirl marks all over the paintwork, as it was standing in the dealership and the cleaning guys must be cleaning the car daily with the wet cloth. Not asking the dealership to do anything about it as I don’t expect them for anything now.

During the process of waiting for my car, I even contacted Volkswagen India’s customer care via email and telephone, was shocked at the solution they provided i.e the customer care manager from the dealership will connect with me to get the issue resolved. Come on VW! If the dealership was so professional, the issue would not have arised.

At the time of booking, I was offered the following items with the car:

• VW Original Body Cover
• VW Original Rubber Mats
• VW Original Mudflaps
• VW Original Lip Spoiler

Fortunately my car came with Lip Spoiler from the factory, hence got the VW Original Dual Horn Kit and VW Original Privacy Sunshades for the car from the dealership as they were not ready to refund the amount.

The Likes:

• DSG and the quick gear shifts
• Overall solid build feel
• Boot space is decent
• Security features -Airbags, ABS, Traction Control, Hill hold assist
• Height adjustable driver’s seat
• Nice Touch-screen music system with Apple Carplay, Android Auto and reversing camera
• Flat-bottom multi-functional Steering wheel
• Cruise control
• Foot well lights

The Negatives:

• 1.5 TDI refinement level
• Turbo lag in 1st gear (D1)
• The VW safety feature - unlocks door at any speed with 2 consecutive pulls of the door open lever from inside.
• No smart key and no push button start
• Lack of DRLs
• The dead peddle is small in comparison with other cars, like i20 (my previous car)
• The ORVM adjustment knob feels flimsy.
• The throw of the headlights is pathetic
• Lack of rear seat space (but then, I knew this before buying)
• No dome light for the rear passengers

My initial impression:

The car is rock steady during cornering and sprints. I was scared when I took a sharp turn on my i20 the day I bought it. The Ameo feels planted, hence inspires confidence. I didn’t feel any body roll and the steering also weighs up nicely. Suspension tuning is good on the car.

The DSG does its duty well. Gearshifts are smooth however there is a good amount of turbo lag initially when you slot the gear knob in D1, haven’t tried the Sports mode yet, hence can’t comment if it’s the same story in sports mode or not. Also, I shift to manual whenever stuck in bumper to bumper traffic as I’ve heard DSG can get hot if driven in Auto mode in traffic jams for some time.

I’m getting a fuel efficiency of 18 kmpl, in city traffic, without the AC as its winters here in Delhi. The IRVM I feel is a size smaller than required for the car, same goes for the ORVMs. Planning to upgrade to the Blue tinted wide angle mirrors from Aliexpress soon.

I have already upgraded to LEDs in headlamps and fogs, but still feel the throw inadequate in comparison to my i20. Using the same LEDs in Ameo but not satisfied. Asked to get the alignment done at the service centre but they simply refused. Also the headlamp leveler switch was replaced as it was faulty at the time of delivery.

Got the PPF done on door edges and door sills from 3M, cost Rs.2,400/-

VCD Tweeks List:

I requested the sales personal to get the following VCD tweeks done on my car:

• Needle Sweep
• Tear Drop Wipe
• Lane Change blinks changed to 5 from 3
• Emergency Flashing Brake Lights

Only the Needle Sweep was activated by the service centre. As per them, the scanner was not getting the options for the rest.

The ICE:

[/b]The 6.5” touch screen sytem works flawlessly until connected to Android Auto, though Apple Carplay works fine. In Android Auto, it freezes sometimes. It beeps on touching but nothing happens. The sound is good as per me, excuse me but I am not an avid music system guy. I prefer using the system only for the google maps, hence no upgrades planned regarding the sound quality.

Overall, I am satisfied as far as the initial driving, will update the thread once any mods done, if any. I wanted to upgrade the front dome light with the one from Passat, but the dealership is saying it will void the warranty even if there is no cutting/splicing of wiring.

Future mods/purchases planned:

• Anti glare ORVM mirrors (Aliexpress)
• Leatherette Bucket Seat Covers
• Ceramic Coating
• Pending VCDS tweeks (Would appreciate if a fellow BHPian from NCR could help)
• 7D Floor mats
• Sports Type Brake and Accelerator pedal (Aliexpress)
• Change the boot lamp bulb to LED
• Carbon Fibre/Gloss Black wrap for the ORVMs and Lip Spoiler
• Bonnet Struts (Aliexpress)
• Carbon Fibre Stickers for the DSG Knob (Aliexpress)
• Wurth Gloss Seal, expensive but excellent product. A cousin is using it on his red Jeep Compass and the gloss and reflection are the best I have seen.

Please enjoy the images of the car as following and feel free to comment/suggest.

Regards
SS

Clean looking front:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-frnt.jpg

Headlamps & Fogs upgraded to LED:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-front-lights.jpg

I like the design and shade of the alloys. These are 16 inches:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-rhd.jpg
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-rhd2.jpg
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-lhd.jpg

Reversing Camera location:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-r-camera.jpg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-rear.jpg

The Dashboard looks nice:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-dash.jpg

Cruise Control works well:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-cruise.jpg

The wipers are with Auto Rain sensing feature:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-rain-sens-wiper.jpg

Traction Control, Rear Deffoger and Hazard Switches. Dummy slots looks annoying:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-buttons.jpg

Armrest is well designed. With Storage and Rear AC Vent. There is a bottle holder and 12v charging socket for rear passengers:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-armrest.jpg
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-rear-ac.jpg

Reason to buy this car:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-dsg.jpg

Glove box is deep. Comes with cooled function and a light:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-glv-box.jpg

The only cabin lamp. VW should have given one for the rear seats too :
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-cabin-lght.jpg

Front door pockets are deep enough to hold 1 liter bottle and some other stuff:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-front-pocket.jpg

Auto Dimming IRVM. A nice touch:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-irvm.jpg

The H/L Controls. The knob should have been finished in brushed aluminium like the rest of the dash:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-hl-control.jpg

Power Windows, ORVM Control and Lock/Unlock buttons. All are back-lit:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-pwr-windws.jpg

VW Rubber Mats. Nice quality:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-vw-mats.jpg

VW Sunblinds. Set includes blinds for the rear windows, quarter glasses and rear windshield:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-vw-sunblinds.jpg

Analog clock display when the system is shut. You can turn off the screen completely from the settings:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-vw-clock.jpg

System has Android Auto, Apple Car Play & MirroLink. Tried Android Auto & Carplay, like the interface of the carplay hence use that only:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-vw-app.jpg
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-carplay.jpg

Spoitify:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-album-art.jpg

Display for reverse camera. Color, contrast and brightness can be adjusted. The guide lines are fixed. Apart from the camera, the car has 4 reverse parking sensors too:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-camera.jpg

How's the shot?:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-vw-logo.jpg

ASLAA I use to kill the dirt :
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-aslaa.jpg

Vanity Mirror only on Passenger Side Sunshade. The shades are quite thick:
VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-pass-visor.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2021 at 21:05. Reason: Typo
SuperSuri is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 22:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Ameo : Official Review

I noticed the moisture in the headlights after a day of rain. Is this normal with VW cars or should I ask for replacement under warranty? The car was delivered in January 2020. I've got LEDs installed but no wire cut. Will VW replace these under warranty?VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-img_3488.jpg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-img_3489.jpg
SuperSuri is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 23:26   #3
BHPian

Hello all,

Faced another issue which is totally unexpected and unacceptable. The mirror fold/adjust knob just broke. The car in question is 6 months old and done only 3600 kms. Is this covered under warranty?
VW ASS denying giving reason warranty is only for parts gone bad and not for parts which brakes. Is this true?

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-img_20200711_105445.jpg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-img_20200711_105506.jpg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-img_20200711_105449.jpg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-img_20200711_105458.jpg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-img_20200711_105517.jpg

Last edited by SuperSuri : 12th July 2020 at 23:29. Reason: Typing error
SuperSuri is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 01:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
i doubt if this can be claimed under warranty. Further, it might be difficult to get this knob only from any volkswagen service center. they will probably have to get the whole button assembly on the door changed as the full button console might only be coming as one spare. Depending on your location, you can try looking for local mechanics and garages, in case they have some old car somewhere and the knob can be taken from it.
Thanks for the revert. And Yes, VW is not ready to fix it under warranty. The new part is the complete assembly costing around Rs.3900 + taxes + labour. But yes, they agreed to give me a goodwill discount of 5% on the whole bill. And guess what, I just said NO to this amazing once in a lifetime offer. Went ahead and fixed the knob with one drop of good old elfee, costed me Rs.5/-. But I'm wondering what if someday the steering wheel breaks and comes in my hands while driving or due to bad quality of mounts, the engine falls of the car, will they consider it as breakage or cover it under warranty.
SuperSuri is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 08:07   #5
BHPian

I got the spoiler and orvms wrapped in gloss black before lockdown. A few pics after a wash which she was dying for due to the dust. VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-6d6ce153658348d2b9e70594424fec65.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-1ce71f56600a4844b4edcd8ddef37565.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-d39b6afe5c2e4e98bc7bcee3cf706970.jpeg
SuperSuri is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 21:26   #6
BHPian

Today I upgraded the window glasses of my ride to the “UV-Cut glasses with Dark Green Tints”.

Sharing some images of the same. VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-f3f74c7ae64540be8a03310daa3cc493.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-89d04842a0ba4e248af508813935b2bf.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-aa2c174091ce43ea97d3ab2e8d3c66f3.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-ea897d3d7e9940c1a76ff4555d4e10de.jpeg
SuperSuri is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 23:31   #7
BHPian

Update:

Got the Paddle Shifter Steering Wheel installed today. Sharing some pics. I feel I would need to get the extensions for these. Any leads for the same will be appreciated.

Also, waiting for your response!

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-95fc6f7ee4de43039651811591aabb5c.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-74741298b4b2452a8eed292c5c56a221.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-70096065ed1c4a5e93b14e23d5ee68fc.jpeg

VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review-2fc2480440004e7c9659f45e845ea63a.jpeg
SuperSuri is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 08:57   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Ameo 1.5L TDI DSG | Ownership Review

Thanks for sharing, SuperSuri . Moving all your ownership posts to a new thread.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Today I upgraded the window glasses of my ride to the “UV-Cut glasses with Dark Green Tints”.
This is great! Will definitely be of help in Delhi. How much did it cost you.

Also, is this Original VW or can be done for other cars as well
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the Paddle Shifter Steering Wheel installed today.
Now that is one avec classe mod that you have done
How's the experience so far?
Some details please - from VW authorised dealer? cost, warranty impact?
Old 23rd August 2021, 12:10   #11

Quote:
Got the Paddle Shifter Steering Wheel installed today. Sharing some pics. I feel I would need to get the extensions for these. Any leads for the same will be appreciated.
I too own a similar spec Ameo but of 2018 make. Could you share more details about the paddle shifter steering wheel. Price and vendor to be specific. Any pointers regarding installation would be helpful. Thank you.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd August 2021 at 12:29. Reason: Fixing quoted tags. Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hey SuperSuri - UV cut glass makes the car really standout. I have been looking for the UV cut glasses for my Vento but haven't been able to find anything yet. Could you confirm from where did you get these and the approximate cost?
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:26   #13
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, SuperSuri . Moving all your ownership posts to a new thread.
Thank you GTO for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post

The glasses are available for VW Polo/Vento/Ameo. You can order for the same at your ASC. Would cost between 7-8k for a set of 4.

And yes, these are too good to cut the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Now that is one avec classe mod that you have done
How's the experience so far?
Some details please - from VW authorised dealer? cost, warranty impact?
I wanted this for a long time as this is my first automatic car. I felt manuals were good at corners and in traffic too. Then I also read that one should drive the DSG in manual mode in traffic. I was following the same and felt it would be better if I get the steering wheel with paddles.

I spoke to almost all the sellers in the market selling the steering wheel, prices were around 28k but all were selling without an airbag, also were not from Delhi/NCR region. Hence if there was an issue after I buy the wheel, I would need to wait for long shipping times even if the seller was helpful.

Then I came across a seller from Delhi only. He offered me the steering wheel with airbag for 30k, and I bought it. Installed it from VW ASC and they charged Rs.1700 for installation. He has one more steering wheel if some one is interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIRaghav View Post
Hey SuperSuri - UV cut glass makes the car really standout. I have been looking for the UV cut glasses for my Vento but haven't been able to find anything yet. Could you confirm from where did you get these and the approximate cost?
Ordered it from VW ASC. Took one week to arrive. Approximate cost with installation was between 7-8k.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th August 2021 at 10:59. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I came across a seller from Delhi only. He offered me the steering wheel with airbag for 30k, and I bought it. Installed it from VW ASC and they charged Rs.1700 for installation. He has one more steering wheel if some one is interested.
Thanks.
Since the VW ASC has done the installation, hope it is under warranty coverage as well? Or is it outside the purview?
For after-market accessory purchases, I have known certain VW authorized dealers (atleast here in Pune) getting the customer to sign a clause which serves more like an exclusion from the general terms & conditions of the warranty.
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:01   #15
BHPian

Ameo is an amazing car to own. 1.5L TDi and DSG make wonders, lighter than Rapid/Vento makes it feel quick too. Remember TD it and enjoying every bit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIRaghav View Post
Part Number for Dark Green Windows are :-
Front left - 6ru 845 201 e
Front Right - 6ru 845 202 e

The window glasses are from VW/Skoda itself, costed me ~₹3700 for front two side windows from Skoda.
GautamJ is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks