Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 17:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Mahindra e2o Plus : Official Review

Great review. Extremely detailed.

I have a doubt, could be stupid . Why there is one charging point for normal charging and one for fast charging? Why dont they make the fast charging as the only option? Is there any difference in efficiency when done the normal way?

We do see this in mobiles as well nowadays.

Last edited by Anand3553 : 21st October 2016 at 17:48.
Anand3553 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 18:13   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman View Post
Interestingly the eVerito D2 @ Rs. 9.5 lakhs is only about a lakh rupees dearer than the e2oPlus P8 @ Rs. 8.46 lakhs!
Good point. That's also the first thing Mod Aditya said when he saw the pricing!

It's worth pointing out that you've compared the top-end e2oPlus to the base eVerito -- but nonetheless, there will certainly be huge improvements in space and ride between the two, regardless of trim level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand3553 View Post
Why there is one charging point for normal charging and one for fast charging? Why dont they make the fast charging as the only option?
There are different standards for ports, and hence it probably couldn't be just one port for regular + fast charging (I'm guessing legacy support is at play here too).

As for why they don't have just fast charging by default : Cost. It would cost more for the components to enable it, both, within the car as well as for the external charger too.
Rehaan is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 18:46   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, thank you for all the effort taken for this review. At 140 kms the all-electric is getting to be seriously practical. If the suspension improves and so does the fit and finish I would not mind being a customer and use it as our family utility-commuter-daily chores vehicle. The 15 amp plug point has already been fixed at my parking spot in anticipation of wearing green one day.

M&M should be complimented for staying the 'e' course with determination. It is only a matter of a few short years for all-electric cars to become as practical, cost effective and have top notch fit and finish to be attractive to go for.

We are seeing the future of automobiles evolve before our eyes. In terms of excitement and change this is not different from the steady and visible changes that must have occurred year on year between 1890 and 1915! - Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 21st October 2016 at 18:49.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 19:22   #19
Team-BHP Support

This has got to be the best face-lift for any model from any manufacturer. Claws on the front is a definite improvement over the gaping-mouth front of the old E20. Seems feature loaded (touchscreen HU, reversing camera, 14 inch alloys) and practical (4 doors, spacious rear, boot good enough for a trip to the shopping mall) too.

But sadly, cars powered by electric motors cannot compete with petrol cars on price. For now, I'll pass - but Reva's third attempt might hit the bull's eye.

Mahindra e2o Plus : Official Review-reva_nxg.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 19:32   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

What happens when the charging is complete at the end of 6 or 9 hours. Do you have to rush out to the parking/charging spot and switch off the mains supply or is there an auto cut off that takes care of things leaving the driver to come at his/her convenience? Do you know what happens if in the middle of the charging cycle the mains supply goes off and then returns 30 minutes later? Does the re-charging start off on its own or is manual intervention needed. Ideally I hope you can plug in at say 9PM, retire to your home and come back at 7:45AM when its time to go to work and simply pull out the plug and drive off. I would be grateful if you could throw some light on these points. Thanks in advance.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 21:39   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Shiny black contrast-roof is standard, and certainly makes the car look cooler. Downside? It might make the cabin hotter:
I wonder if this is a setup for a future sunroof or a all transparent/glass roof panel for future versions? Would be really cool for this kind of a car.

Lack of air-bags is a sore point; especially considering the higher price point, and fast acceleration speeds of the car. Wonder if the build of the car is durable enough (from safety perspective) for head-on collision accidents.

Is Mahindra planning (on its own or with some other vendor) to setup up charging booths? Any such plans to maybe do a trial in a metro city or so?

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2016 at 11:59. Reason: Making thumbnail smaller :)
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 21:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
What happens when the charging is complete at the end of 6 or 9 hours. Do you have to rush out to the parking/charging spot and switch off the mains supply or is there an auto cut off that takes care of things leaving the driver to come at his/her convenience? Do you know what happens if in the middle of the charging cycle the mains supply goes off and then returns 30 minutes later? Does the re-charging start off on its own or is manual intervention needed. Ideally I hope you can plug in at say 9PM, retire to your home and come back at 7:45AM when its time to go to work and simply pull out the plug and drive off. I would be grateful if you could throw some light on these points. Thanks in advance.
It has auto cut off on charge completion.
Also in case of power failure in between charging, it will restart on it's own, no manual intervention is required.
You can also switch on/off charging, schedule charging, set vacation mode from your smartphone or computer
speedmiester is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 22:58   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Good point. That's also the first thing Mod Aditya said when he saw the pricing!

As for why they don't have just fast charging by default : Cost. It would cost more for the components to enable it, both, within the car as well as for the external charger too.

Fast charging will require an external charger which is expensive, generally installed in charging stations and dealerships. Normal charging is through 230V home power through which charging can happen through the night - no equipment required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Yes, charging is entirely controlled by the cars electronic controllers and no need to worry about unplugging etc.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2016 at 12:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts
spkingsley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 04:34   #24
BANNED

A great review. Thanks for all the details. One question is just on my mind.
What is the expected battery life of this (LFP) battery.?
On regular cars we generally need to change in about 3 years time.
Also what will a battery change of this electric car cost.?

Last edited by norhog : 22nd October 2016 at 04:37.
norhog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 06:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
A great review. Thanks for all the details. One question is just on my mind.
What is the expected battery life of this (LFP) battery.?
On regular cars we generally need to change in about 3 years time.
Also what will a battery change of this electric car cost.?
It is around 5 years. Mahindra was offering a battery lease option for 5 years on E2O wherein the customer has to pay a fixed amount towards leasing the battery for 5 years. Anything happens to the battety during this period, the battery will be replaced by Mahindra. This option is not available now.
Replacement cost of battery is around 1.5L.

I just completed 2 years this october and have clocked 18000+ Kms during this time. I am not facing any reduction in the range. There are other users who have clocked more than 70000+ kms and the battery is still holding good.
speedmiester is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 07:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This has got to be the best face-lift for any model from any manufacturer. Claws on the front is a definite improvement over the gaping-mouth front of the old E20.

Attachment 1568973
I agree with you. If M&M could make this design, that would be the best design on the road that any small car can have.

Both M&M and Tata were offering bad plastics, while Tata improved a lot with the recent cars, M&M still has to go miles. The plastics and panel gaps show they have much to offer for the money they collect. Let us assume they know it and work on it.

Last edited by GTO : 24th October 2016 at 12:02. Reason: Language
agbenny is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 22nd October 2016, 08:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I wonder if this is a setup for a future sunroof or a all transparent/glass roof panel for future versions? Would be really cool for this kind of a car.
This setup was originally planned for a solar panel on the roof. But the added cost, weight and loss of range could not be justified.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 21:39   #28
BANNED

Outstanding review, Rehaan, dZired - I particularly liked the way you pin-pointed the detailed niggles & drawbacks in the assembly/construction. This should go a long way in drawing M&M's attention to these details, so that they (with their reputation for attention to public feedback) can attend to them as early as possible.

This review is right up there with our forum's other reviews - 5-stars.

Last edited by shashanka : 22nd October 2016 at 21:43.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2016, 21:41   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
It is around 5 years. Mahindra was offering a battery lease option for 5 years on E2O wherein the customer has to pay a fixed amount towards leasing the battery for 5 years. Anything happens to the battety during this period, the battery will be replaced by Mahindra. This option is not available now.
Replacement cost of battery is around 1.5L.

I just completed 2 years this october and have clocked 18000+ Kms during this time. I am not facing any reduction in the range. There are other users who have clocked more than 70000+ kms and the battery is still holding good.
Sorry for my ignorance on this but does the E20 and this one, the E2O plus, share the same battery.?
Also what about the water proofing of all electrical componemts, considering there are many Indian cities with high rainfall and water logging problem.
Any special precautions/instructions to be taken in monsoon or driving over puddles, or standing water.
(Water and electricity are not good friends)
In one of the pics of the vehicle underside the motor was visible so water has a good access to the heart of the electrical.
Please shed some light on this matter.
Thanks in advance..
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 07:42   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Sorry for my ignorance on this but does the E20 and this one, the E2O plus, share the same battery.?
Also what about the water proofing of all electrical componemts, considering there are many Indian cities with high rainfall and water logging problem.
Any special precautions/instructions to be taken in monsoon or driving over puddles, or standing water.
(Water and electricity are not good friends)
In one of the pics of the vehicle underside the motor was visible so water has a good access to the heart of the electrical.
Please shed some light on this matter.
Thanks in advance..
Yes, it's the same battery in E2O and E2O Plus, just the size differs.
No issues when driving in rains, the battery is inside the car and well sealed. I have driven through big puddles and waterlogged streets as well. The car is well tested under wet and rainy conditions.
Major drawback of this car is suspension and build quality.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed