Team-BHP - Tata Tigor : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Tigor : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/188094-tata-tigor-official-review-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4265243)
Interesting to see that both Tigor and Zest are selling more than the Aspire which is a much more powerful car. Evidently people are conscious about FE & the bells and whistles are making a difference in this segment viz-a-viz price.

And yet people continue to claim that they seriously want more powerful cars and that lack of powerful engines options is what is hurting Tiago and Tigor's sales.

Took a small test drive of the Tigor Petrol some time back with a friend who was contemplating a new ride.

Test Drive Impressions:
Driver seating position is spot on, ergonomics were well met to the requirements and the stereo sound has to be witnessed to be amazed to say the least.
Steering was nimble just like the Tiago, super light a-la-Hyundais at standstill speeds, and weighs up well on higher speeds, though the weighting may not be comparable to Polo/Vento.

Its initial pickup was pretty affected. Maybe due to the weight factor. I say 'maybe' as we took a test drive of Tiago later, and saw that eco mode was on when they brought the TD car, and once we switched it off for city mode, there was sufficient power available on tap.

All in all, it looked great from a perspective of an urban compact car. Power is just about adequate, with only turn-off points being the throaty engine, where the engine filtered inside the cabin as well. Sounded a lot like the oldie; Fiat Padmini. To compensate, there's the excellent sound system, yet the requirement for refinement in engine was felt.

Else, everything was top notch. Fit and finish, ICE, build quality, nice to hold steering, seat comfort, boot space, etc.

Also, the friend drives like an enthusiast (but safely) to start with. He drove to test the claims of the sales representative real hard. The corner stability module works, and that's for sure. I can vouch for it. ABS also kicks in well. As far as safety is concerned, Tigor gives a sense of safety and security. He drove through a really rough patch (I was sitting on the rear bench), and literally NOTHING was felt inside.

Overall verdict: Came out impressed, will probably need to take another test drive to check city/eco mode again. Dynamics are really well sorted and spot on for our liking. Only sad point was the engine noise. May be a deal breaker for few and may not for few. Power was adequate for day to day usage.

Few Eye candies:

Did I mention before its looks spelled S-W-A-G?
Tata Tigor : Official Review-tigorwa-1.jpg

Those smoked headlamps!
Tata Tigor : Official Review-tigorwa-3.jpg

Another shot taken at the showroom.
Tata Tigor : Official Review-tigorwa-2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash_ajp (Post 4265308)
And yet people continue to claim that they seriously want more powerful cars and that lack of powerful engines options is what is hurting Tiago and Tigor's sales.

Probably its not a lack of powerful engine for me, but a refined engine is the requirement just as I cited above. Need for power for most of the commute usage buyers settles down within first year of purchase. Slowly the heavy right foot starts getting lighter. That's what I discovered for most of the average joes to whom the Tigor is targeted.

2017 Tata Tigor XM launched at Rs 4.99 lakh.

Quote:

Tata Motors has added another variant to its recently-launched Tigor compact sedan range in India. The new Tata Tigor XM is priced at Rs 4.99 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) and it sits between the base Tigor XE and the higher-spec XT trims. The Tigor XM shares the same 1.2-litre petrol and the 1.0-litre diesel engine options mated to a five-speed manual gearbox with its siblings.

As far as equipment goes the Tigor XM gets manual central locking with key, all four power windows, speed-sensitive auto door locks, follow me home lamps, an LED fuel gauge, full fabric seats, interior lamp with theater dimming function and full wheel covers.
link

Hi, not a single ownership thread of the Tigor? I couldnt find any. Want to know real life experience of how the engine performance turns out to be under various conditions.

Thanks to Ranjith V Nair for sharing!

Quote:

I found a price hike on the Tata Tigor - 1.2% on the petrol and 1.5% on the diesel variants (except XM variant which was recently launched).

The new price list is available on their website from yesterday.

Hello Tigor owners.

I have not found any information anywhere on the headlamp performance in the Tigor. Is it good? The headlamp in the Tiago is acceptable in low beam and poor in high beam. I was thinking of fitting Tigor headlamps if they are much better.

I think either there are absolutely no Tigor owners on the forum or they're busy. I'm taking a test drive today of the diesel coz I absolutely love the way this beauty looks, and I might be ok to do with an underwhelming engine unless it's an absolute dead engine. Let's see how the test drive goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselritzer (Post 4279111)
I think either there are absolutely no Tigor owners on the forum or they're busy. I'm taking a test drive today of the diesel coz I absolutely love the way this beauty looks, and I might be ok to do with an underwhelming engine unless it's an absolute dead engine. Let's see how the test drive goes.

We have a Tigor XZ driven by my husband but it's a petrol one. No issues, love the space and the way it glides over holes and breaks here in Delhi. FE can't be gauged since heavy start-srop traffic means it the car never gets to actually rev up much. Feels premium and solid, service centre experience has been decent and it sure is a looker. The petrol one does feel a tad lagging when starting up in first gear but then it's smooth and nice. Overtaking is not a problem though my husband is a safe, relaxed driver who believes over-overtaking saves you a grand total of 5-10 min at any time which isn't worth all the effort. That said, the occasional acceleration when required has not been a problem. Personally, once inside, i find the interior surroundings more premium than i20. And the music system from Harman is top-notch. Whatever little engine noise filters in is overpowered by the speakers. It's been about 6 months since purchase.
Hope this helps whatever little. Sorry cannot give more details till i actually drive it, these are from a passenger's pov and typed out on a phone.
Happy driving!

Thank you for the revert. Just returned from a petrol test drive. The initial pick up is good, nvh is sorted as long as the music is on. Gear lever vibrates. Fit and finish is good, but plastic parts quality is not that good. Some cubby holes plastic parts had gaps in it. Might be the test car was abused so don't know for sure. Could not stretch it's leg due to traffic, but gearing felt perfect for the city. Also drove the nexon. Need a few more test drives, especially of diesel which is pending.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselritzer (Post 4279178)
Thank you for the revert. Just returned from a petrol test drive. The initial pick up is good, nvh is sorted as long as the music is on. Gear lever vibrates. Fit and finish is good, but plastic parts quality is not that good. Some cubby holes plastic parts had gaps in it. Might be the test car was abused so don't know for sure.

Yes that could be it. Otherwise the parts and plastic are at par with the better ones in the market. Also there was a minor gap betwern headlamp and bonnet on one side when we took delivery which could have been corrected immediately but needed about half hour. It was set right during first service.
Gear lever needs getting used to. My experience shows it gets better with usage, the vibrations reduce a lot with driver adjustment to his best comfortable position and the servicing.
For city usage and the occasional inter-city dash on the highways it's good. Not one to be used to win a drag race, though :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselritzer (Post 4279111)
I'm taking a test drive today of the diesel coz I absolutely love the way this beauty looks, and I might be ok to do with an underwhelming engine unless it's an absolute dead engine. Let's see how the test drive goes.

Looks like you took the test drive of Nexon too. Would suggest to go for the latter blind folded as compared to the Tigor.

Reasons?

1. There is only one variant of Tigor worth buying. The top XZ variant which gets airbags, whereas all the other variants below it - don't! It is priced at 6,67,417 ex showroom Delhi for the diesel.

2. The Nexon gets basic safety features as standard and the second XM variant with most necessary features is priced at 7,39,900 ex showroom Delhi for the diesel. Base XE is even cheaper.

3. For the additional 75k that you pay - you get a proper 4 cylinder diesel engine with an additional 300cc capacity, 40 bhp more power, 120 NM more torque, a six speed gearbox and overall a much bigger and better built car.

4. You dont miss out too much in terms of essential features either - as the Nexon XM gets the same audio unit as the Tiago XZ, both don't get climate control, both gets Park Assist only without camera.

5. Nexon looks to be creating much more impact in the market as compared to the Tigor. This will affect the resales over the long run as well, that further reduced the margins between these two.

Yes, I am in the same thought process, but for me having a reversing camera is a must, and nexon touches 11L on road for that variant, hence just thinking over it. Tigor is an immense value for money preposition, nexon, although compared to its competitors is also a vfm product, but it does demand more bucks vs Tigor. I'll be taking my family for test drives too and will decide accordingly. But seriously, the way Tata is making people keep thinking about their cars in itself is a positive trend and they should feel proud.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselritzer (Post 4279220)
Yes, I am in the same thought process, but for me having a reversing camera is a must,

there are so many after market fitments if rear view camera alone is concerned. also its a possibility that tata can give it as an optional extra. i hope tata guys are watching this thread seriously.

Tigor September numbers = 1770. Hope electric version of the same help them improve it's numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adityadeva (Post 4283384)
there are so many after market fitments if rear view camera alone is concerned. also its a possibility that tata can give it as an optional extra. i hope tata guys are watching this thread seriously.

My ritz has an after market rear view camera and its given me enough troubles. Now i want a car where i dont want to add anything after market.

I am just waiting to get my hands behind a tigor diesel. If its better than the ritz diesel that i drive or even 90% close to it, i'll be ok with it.