Team-BHP - Jeep Compass : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Jeep Compass : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/189786-jeep-compass-official-review-14.html)

Offtopic, if anything, the government should offer tax breaks to cars that have airbags and meet better safety criteria. Road tax for instance. Insurance (both motor, as well as accident and life premiums) should also drop correspondingly. This will get more consumers to demand variants with safety features, and hence manufacturers will scrap other variants.

Consumer action has to be triggered smartly by the government via such breaks, not purely via legislation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4264636)

The one that launched Tucson in an even higher price bracket with 6 airbags, and even ESC, VSM, HAC and even very basic Brake Assist in only the top variant, that too - only in diesel and even in that - only in diesel automatic?

Creta has 6 airbags and other safety features only in top end diesel manual variant. But I wouldn't be surpised, because the Santa FE - (Now that's a 40L SUV) misses out all these features including side and curtain airbags in the 2WD variants.

Is this the Hyundai you're talking of? :eek:

Well, I guess the reference was to the cheaper Elite i20 Asta(o) which comes with 6 airbags and costs 10L.

Ecosport in its Titanium + trim stands on a similar footing at a much lower price bracket. Also, Figo and Aspire.

Honda City, though I am not sure, probably gets 6 airbags as an option in its latest iteration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4264636)
Let's face it. All companies take safety similarly - and Compass is better off - offering a lot more on the base versions than others. Moreover, with a phased launch, there are chances of these concerns being addressed soon. Hope they do it.

Agreed. It's the most value for money proposition in its segment. Or probably in the current automotive scene in our country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4264432)
2017 Jeep Compass secures 5 star Euro NCAP rating.
Sourec- Euro NCAP

This news will boost the sales like anything. Already, Jeep is receiving all the admiration and positive reviews from all over the internet & social media. The only thing remaining to see is the service experience.

The Jeep showroom next to my office is always buzzing with lots of people, who at least, want to test drive the vehicle. So Jeep has finally managed to make people sit and notice the brand. clap:

The Compass has certainly changed Fiat's fortunes in the country and hope the after sales experience is also stepped up.
I understand the production is also being ramped up pretty quickly to accommodate the crazy demand and the 5 star safety rating will definitely help up the hysteria even more.
The 20-30 Lacs SUV segment is going to be the hottest for years to come.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.MJet (Post 4264604)
We understand Compass RHD versions are produced only in India, are they manufacturing 1.6 multijet here?

Why didn't they launch the 1.6 here? Would have worked out cheaper than the 2.0L and could have substantially decreased the sticker price - at least in the lower variants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by civic-sense (Post 4265054)
Why didn't they launch the 1.6 here? Would have worked out cheaper than the 2.0L and could have substantially decreased the sticker price - at least in the lower variants.

With the 2.0 Ltr engine the Compass was being compared with the Creta prior to launch.

With a 1.6 they would have had to position the Compass along with the Creta. Would have been a nightmare for Jeep.

If the S cross 1.6 was a hit and there was robust demand for that engine, Jeep probably might have considered it.

The 1.6 might probably be launched in the Renegade, which is going to be positioned below the Compass and more directly against the Creta.

The Renegade will be launched with the 1.4 L MJD. The higher variants might get a detuned version of the 2.0 L Multijet presently doing duty in the Compass. Price for the base variant could be below 11 L. Do not be surprised if it is nearer or below10 L for the basic variant. Launch in 2018 ?

Quote:

Had called them up few days back for my car service, and they said they are catering only to Jeep initally.
They called me in July even before this workshop started to operate. Called again after it started functioning and they have even taken my booking to service my Punto in Oct first week!

Quote:

Glad to hear that you never faced any problem with the Fiat dealers. I don't think, that someone has to own a Fiat vehicle to comment on their service - I have been accompanying my friends to Fiat dealers and most of my acquaintances own few fiat vehicle incl. the Abarth Puntos. Honestly, the service not just from the front-end, but spares and quality of service was below average. Spares are never available instantly - simple things are not taken care of for the vehicle. And this was echoed across by most of the Fiat owners. I am not sure, which city you are from, but where-ever you are - you got really lucky with your Fiat dealer.
I have been driving only Fiat cars for almost a decade now. Have serviced my cars at Manipal, Concorde, Prerana (when it was a FASS)and Vecto been servicing my car.

- Was I happy with the service at these places: yes.
- Were the spares readily available: not always.
- Was my car stuck in workshop for spares: nope
- Did I have to take my car back after service to get some issue addressed properly: few times

So service from fiat at least in Bangalore is acceptable. I have even used hariprasad garage for servicing one of my fiat and they could also arrange for spares.

As they say: you never know, till you know!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ant_vas (Post 4265249)
I have been driving only Fiat cars for almost a decade now.

Looks like Bangalore has better Fiat service compared to other parts of India. Just for a review, you should visit any of the Fiat dealers in Hyderabad or any non-metro city - you would rethink on your perception towards the brand. Anyways, I am glad - you are happy with the service you are getting :thumbs up

For me it's always like: You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideRed (Post 4263724)
As long as the service is good, one should be least bothered about watchman,receptionist.

Looks like, I am the odd one here - who in-spite of being an avid automobile enthusiast with eye for quality, is also equally concerned about pre/post customer service. I believe a brand's long term success can be predicted, with the way they train their employees/dealers right from the security guards to the service guys and how they handle customer complaints. Just imagine, a dealer who cannot get his security guard do his simple duty religiously - will I rely on the same dealer to get my >Rs 20lakh car serviced, by the same people who he has employed and has them trained to do their job religiously and reliably. I doubt, that too at this point of time when customers are giving a re-look at the brand.

Quote:

Just for a review, you should visit any of the Fiat dealers in Hyderabad or any non-metro city - you would rethink on your perception towards the brand.
Once on the way to my native, had to take my car to Bhagyodaya Motors service station in Hospet. The AC water was seeping in the passenger side and a puddle had formed.

They attended the problem in 5 mins, fixed the issue and even dried the carpet using vacuum cleaner. and they didn't charge me anything for it!

yes i agree not everyone might be as lucky as i am with Fiat service but i definitely don't understand folks who don't own a fiat, passionately complain about the fiat service

Quote:

Originally Posted by ant_vas (Post 4265306)
Once on the way to my native, had to take my car to Bhagyodaya Motors service station in Hospet. The AC water was seeping in the passenger side and a puddle had formed.

They attended the problem in 5 mins, fixed the issue and even dried the carpet using vacuum cleaner. and they didn't charge me anything for it!

yes i agree not everyone might be as lucky as i am with Fiat service but i definitely don't understand folks who don't own a fiat, passionately complain about the fiat service

Com'on, what fun do people get in complaining just for the heck of it. When people write about it, that implies they did either witness or they themselves faced some really bad service. Just look back and think - the core reason, why Fiat failed in India until now, you can Google about it. Tons of customer complaints - these are the same people who owned Fiat cars. Anyways, glad you are happy with the brand. Let's see, if I end-up buying a Jeep, will definitely come back and share my story :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajparikh (Post 4265287)
For me it's always like: You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

As long as the vehicle is reliable, does it really matter? Service happens once in 15,000 kms / once a year. For that one day of the year - Is it worth living all 364 days of the year with a vehicle that doesn't connect with the heart? I would gladly go as far away as required on that one day - to get a good experience that doesn't spoil my mood for the other days to come.

If better vehicles are available which brings a bigger smile to the face, and offer a better service experience as well - then by all means - they deserve the sale.

Till then I'd say - "Love thy car, not thy service center".

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankajparikh (Post 4265301)
Just imagine, a dealer who cannot get his security guard do his simple duty religiously - will I rely on the same dealer to get my >Rs 20lakh car serviced, by the same people who he has employed and has them trained to do their job religiously and reliably.

Would that security guard even matter when considering 5-6 years a vehicle is used by the average Indian?

Anyways, hope he (whom you're referring as the customer here) went on to purchase a better vehicle.

During one of my road trips to Kerala I had to take my Linea to the Fiat dealer in Cochin to get the fuse replaced which had blown causing some electrical functions to stop. They did it in 5 min and did not charge any money. So far my experience with Fiat dealers during my 6 years of ownership and 80K run in Bangalore (Concorde and then Vecto) has been excellent. I will not think twice before buying another Fiat car!

Mod Note: We have many other threads to discuss how good & bad Fiat's after-sales is.

Please continue only with posts on the Compass here. On the point of after-sales, only Compass owners will be allowed to share their first-hand experiences here.

Thanks!