Team-BHP - Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/211426-maruti-1-5l-diesel-official-review-ciaz-ertiga-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by krish3 (Post 4630116)
For folks not convinced about the engine just because its a Maruti, please go and drive it. I have a remapped Brezza, and have driven my relative's Rapid 1.5 (DSG gearbox), and took test drives of the Vento TDI DSG and Rapid. This 1.5DDIS is just a brilliant engine. At least till 120kmph, it masks any weakness the engine might have. Since I don't own a car with the engine, could never take it on longer multi-hour highway drives to understand any weakness it might have.

The weakness of the Ciaz is definitely not its engine, and this engine would be great in all the Maruti cars for sure. It holds itself well against the competition and I guess, only the Hyundai diesel beats it in refinement and power delivery.

It will be too early for the 1.5 DDIS to be compared to the 1.5 TDI engines of VW and Skoda. Personally I felt MS has done a really good job and most times they get it right. The engine is adequately powerful, frugal and assuming it being a Suzuki, must be reliable as well.

The 1.3 MJD had a great mid range but lacked top end whereas this one has a decent spread post 1500 RPM. For me the 1.5 TDCI and 1.5 TDI engines are far superior with respect to power, performance and frugality. Then the 1.3 MJD and 1.4 Toyota Diesel engines are the most used and reliable of the lot. Proud to say that our Indian counterparts Tata and especially Mahindra Diesel engines are as well on par with the others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4626237)
The new diesel is also likely to make its way to the Vitara Brezza and S-Cross. Yes, it will be coming in BS6 form too, although Maruti is likely to miss the April 2020 deadline by 9 - 12 months. A key vendor of Maruti has confirmed to us that BS6 development & compliance are underway. And this engine deserves it too - it has the potential to do really well in the market. The 10 reasons behind BS6 compliance (unlike what news reports would have you believe) are:

lol:lol: at all the other media that fell for the ploy.

Quote:

Maruti Suzuki may not completely phase out diesel passenger vehicles post implementation of stricter Bharat Stage VI emission norms, top officials informed ETAuto.
Source

Wild guess - Maruti has some insider knowledge of the deadline getting extended and hence know that they have time on hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 4657422)
Wild guess - Maruti has some insider knowledge of the deadline getting extended and hence know that they have time on hand.

It was the Supreme Court (and not the government) that set the deadline; i would doubt whether the SC would allow any extension at the last minute since the order was passed long back.

Hi,

This is my first post in the forum so apologies if there are a few mistakes.

We purchased the Ciaz in April with the new DDIS 225 engine. Infact we were the first one to buy the new model in our city Aligarh. By 'our' I mean my family because that's what we had in my mind, 'a family car' while we were looking for options. We purchased the Ciaz Alpha 1.5D in Stargaze Blue color.

Since this is the thread specific to the new engine, I will just limit my views to the 3000 odd KMs that I have had experienced with the new DDiS engine. My views are of-course limited because I have graduated directly from a 15 year old Petrol WagonR to Ciaz. I don't have any prior experience driving the 1.3L MJD or any other diesel engine. Of the 3000kms clocked on the ODO close to 2500 has been on Highways and 500 in city traffic because we still use the WagonR as a beater car.

The longest highway drive that we have had has been from Aligarh to Lucknow via Agra and back. We took the new Agra - Lucknow Expresway and the MID showed a Mileage of 27KMPL at the end of 430KMs. The Cruise Speed was set to 90KM/hr on the Agra-Lucknow Expresway 350KM stretch. The OAT was 45C with AC on 100% throughout the drive. The 6th gear on the Ciaz allows it to idle at around 1600RPM at Cruise so we barely hear any noise inside the cabin. The engine doesn't sound anything like a diesel when you are inside the car. The engine noise is unlike what I have heard in other diesel cars like the Swift Dzire, Scorpio etc. The Diesel engine of Ciaz doesn't even vibrate like the other diesels that I have experienced as a passenger.

Since I only had driving experience of a Petrol car,
I expected driving a diesel to be a huge learning curve. I was told that diesel clutches are heavy, they have to be kept above a certain RPM while driving to get opitmum performance unlike the WagonR which just pushes forward in a linear fashion once I press the accelerator pedal. The DDiS 225 almost behaves like a Petrol in driving dynamics, the clutch is really light and the car pulls up effortlessly. The only diference I could find was that the engine has to be kept above 1500RPM to get that sudden rush of power. Below 1500RPM it becomes a dud so I occassionly have to downshift to 2nd Gear from the 3rd in B2B traffic. I haven't felt the need or will to revv the engine hard, I am a sedate driver but the engine has no problems in maintaing triple digit speeds on the highway, and also when you want to overtake, there is ample power available at hand.

I only have one word to describe the new engine and that is that it is a 'Maruti' engine. It doesn't feel new to someone like me who has been driving an ageing Petrol. I expected the drive to have some sort of generational shift since it has been through 1.5 decades of new technological advancements. I am sure the tech is there and the refinement is top notch but it just doesn't feel new. I am not saying it in a negative sense because perhaps the USP of this new engine is its ease of driving and ease of driving being a Diesel. It just doesn't have that oomph factor that is associated with Turbo Diesels. The rush of power that comes above 1500RPM is there but it is very linear, most often I don't even feel the Turbo kick in which is a tad boring at times but then the Ciaz is not supposed to be a Turbo beast. It is marketed as a family sedan with ample space and more than enough power to get you from point A to B. My family bought the Ciaz because it was a Maruti (hassle free) , it was a diesel (more Mileage for highway trips) and that it was a sedan (comfort). 15 years of uneventful ownership of a Maruti car has given them concrete confidence in brand Maruti.

I don't regret our decision of getting the Ciaz 1.5, we infact waited for the new engine to come out and did not go for the 1.3MJD even though we were offered a quite hefty discount. I was quite apprehensive later once the car was purchased because when I read through the forums people were unsure about how Maruti will fare in their second diesel outing and how we were the guinea pigs testing the new diesel car for the company. But once the reviews starting pouring in it all settled down. The car went through its second scheduled service of 6 months two days ago where they put a 'Value Added' diesel engine additive to the engine oil which has further reduced any hint of vibrations. The average mileage I have got in 3000KMs of driving is around 21KMPL with occassional trips to Delhi.

I will report with my further observations in the Ciaz Review thread since I have already digressed a lot.

Apologies again if there are any mistakes in the post.

Regards,

Anas.

Source:
https://www.autox.com/track-test/mar...k-test-106834/

"This 1.5-litre, four-cylinder unit is ultra-refined and quiet. In short, it’s easily the best diesel engine in its class. While its power output is modest, it is, without a doubt, the most efficient in its segment. There’s virtually no turbo lag under linear acceleration, and it’s well masked even under hard acceleration.

The motor revs cleanly through the rev range and has plenty of usable power throughout. It feels very quiet and refined at all times. What’s more, the clutch and gear lever operation are so light that it feels like you’re driving a petrol car – and praise for a diesel engine doesn’t get any higher than that!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 4696538)
"This 1.5-litre, four-cylinder unit is ultra-refined and quiet. In short, it’s easily the best diesel engine in its class. While its power output is modest, it is, without a doubt, the most efficient in its segment. There’s virtually no turbo lag under linear acceleration, and it’s well masked even under hard acceleration.

The motor revs cleanly through the rev range and has plenty of usable power throughout. It feels very quiet and refined at all times. What’s more, the clutch and gear lever operation are so light that it feels like you’re driving a petrol car – and praise for a diesel engine doesn’t get any higher than that!"

True. To add to that - when standing besides it, it sounds GOOD. The idling clatter is by far the most musical of diesels under 2.0L. Feels pleasant to listen to it pass by in a parking lot too.

While the world is always keen on power and torque peak numbers, many don't even pay attention to the RPMs where they are available and overall torque curve. A flatter curve with usable range is so much more useful than just a good peak number.

I hope this engine comes back in the Brezza in BSVI guise soon. It would make the Brezza literally indestructible. I simply hate Maruti for not being able to make it BSVI compliant in time! :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinhard (Post 4697132)
I hope this engine comes back in the Brezza in BSVI guise soon. It would make the Brezza literally indestructible. I simply hate Maruti for not being able to make it BSVI compliant in time! :Frustrati

Maruti is almost ready with the engine. It was designed keeping BS6 and beyond in mind. But they won't be launching it till the BS6 diesel is available. BS6 diesel is the bottleneck from what I'm hearing so far and friends in Petroleum industry like BHPian ChiranjitP confirm that BS6 diesel won't be available around the April 2020 deadline. And Maruti isn't going to launch their BS6 engine till the fuel is available. That's all the info I have. :)

Regards,
Shashi

Maruti is likely to retain the 1.5 diesel in the BS6 era. Ertiga, Ciaz and XL6 would have the diesel variant.

Later the Brezza and its 7 seat derivative too are likely to be the recipients of this engine.

Quote:

Maruti Suzuki is estimated to have sold about 500,000 diesel vehicles in 2018-19, and this fiscal year, internal estimates suggest that number to fall to 250,000-300,000. Once the 1.5-litre diesel engine option is added to the portfolio, Maruti Suzuki expects this volume to return to 500,000 level, including vehicles sold in partnership with Toyota Motor.
Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenextstar (Post 4662382)
Hi,

The engine doesn't sound anything like a diesel when you are inside the car. The engine noise is unlike what I have heard in other diesel cars like the Swift Dzire, Scorpio etc. The Diesel engine of Ciaz doesn't even vibrate like the other diesels that I have experienced

Anas.

Hi

Did a short TD today & got floored with it's stunning refinement. Power after 1500 rpm was adequate too. I think at no point, one will feel the need of more power. Could not go beyound 100 kmph because of the traffic & thus can not comment on top end performance, but what I imagine, it should be more than satisfactory.

But could find two ergonomic flaws-

-Foot rest is narrow & lowly placed, where as clutch is positioned much higher. For gear change, one has to lift the left leg much higer than my Verna. This was uncomfortable for me.

- Center console is too wide, eating out space for driver's left leg. For such a spacious car, I felt terribly cramped for my left leg. I wanted my left leg to go further left.

Do you feel the above?

Do update your experience with your car.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan (Post 4731133)
Hi

But could find two ergonomic flaws-

-Foot rest is narrow & lowly placed, where as clutch is positioned much higher. For gear change, one has to lift the left leg much higer than my Verna. This was uncomfortable for me.

- Center console is too wide, eating out space for driver's left leg. For such a spacious car, I felt terribly cramped for my left leg. I wanted my left leg to go further left.

Hi,

I can vouch for the performance part. I have driven the Ciaz on the Yamuna Expressway. The engine noise does not come inside the cabin. I believe it is because the engine noise is overshadowed by the road noise, I mean the tyre noise. So refinement on that front is top notch. I however wish that they would have done something for the outside ambient noise that percolates inside the cabin. The car does feel wobbly and not planted enough at high speed maybe because of low body weight or kerb weight if I am using the correct terminology. It feels planted and secure, more than an SUV because of less body roll on turns.

1. Yes footrest is very narrow and this becomes cumbersome on long drives. I find myself wanting for space, they have not provided a deal pedal so resting the foot becomes problematic. I am fairly tall at 6 feet so my legs are longer. After a longish 350Km drive through some bad roads I had considerable pain in my ankle. Clutch travel is also very high if I compare it with my WagonR, so i have to ease my feet to lift it up a tad higher.

2. Yes, the space for the left leg is also a luxury but I feel this is for those who have big feet. My foot size is 10 so I have to adjust my foot and look for space. The only major gripe I have is the missing dead pedal. They have provided a rubber cushion as a dead pedal substitute which is so deep down that I dont find it reassuring to put my feet down there, and to lift it up to put on the clutch in case of an emergency.

We recently did a trip to Dehradun from Aligarh and back, via Ghaziabad, and Upper Ganga Canal Road. This route had some brilliant 4 lane highways and some poor stretches with only 2 lanes, It took us 8 hours to cover some 350KMs.
There were 3 occupants, me, my mother, father, and full luggage.

We got an FE of 23KMPL, AC was on throughout the trip except on the hills.

Maruti 1.5L Diesel : Official Review (Ciaz, Ertiga)-img20191029191030.jpg

Maruti's 1.5L diesel discontinued, diesel variants removed from the company website.

I bumped on a pre-used ertiga ZDi plus for sale and found it to be a good buy. In this regard was searching for any long term review of 1.5 Diesel, but couldnt find any beyond first 2K kms experience.
Can someone (Ciaz or Ertiga) share service experience in last 1 year or anyone who has done ~20K kms? More interested to know on engine performance on long run and also service center response considering 1.5D BS4 withdrawal.

What is the latest status of the Maruti's BS6 diesel engine launch plan? Is it ON or OFF? Yeah, MS keeps changing its strategy like a kid playing with a switch.lol:

Now that the oil companies have rolled out the BS6 diesel fuel across the country, availability of fuel should be least of their concern. And with the new Creta launch, almost half the bookings are for the diesel variant which shows there's enough demand for diesel cars too. Enough said!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackwasp (Post 4626239)
Better than the aged 1.3L MJD in almost every way:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4626251)
Would say that’s a jewel of an engine. This new 1.5L diesel is no less a jewel. It is an extremely capable motor that will keep owners very happy. That said, my favourite is Hyundai’s 1.6L CRDi.

How does this engine compare to the more powerful, yet similar displacement 1.5 found in the Marazzo? Asking because both of you were common in both the Marazzo and this DDiS 225 review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4626257)
I get to share my impressions about this in comparison to its predecessor, the 1.3 MJD.
Worthy upgrade for current Ertiga owners? - Personally It is a no for me if I were to think of an upgrade from my current Ertiga

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4626291)
Awesome review, echoes every thought I had during my brief drive in April. The engine is better than MJD in every single way.

If you two gentlemen have any experience with the Marazzo, or for that matter the XUV300 with which the Marazzo shares the engine, I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.