Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 18:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Review: Mercedes EQC Electric SUV

Had seen reviews on YouTube, the car becomes quite scary while cornering at high speeds, something that you would never expect of a Electric car. The second row headroom too is quite less. Mercedes should have come out with a much better package
given their expertise at making Cars
Old 8th October 2020, 19:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very detailed and informative review.

Coming to EQC, I do not think MB is interested in selling, may be they are not considering sales beyond those 50 units. The price is ridiculously high for whatever reason.

Their lack of interest can be seen from their charging info slide, why name power figures as kWh instead of kw. In ICE terms if somebody asks what's the tank size, the answer given is it fills as per the fuel pipe nozzle size.

Review: Mercedes EQC Electric SUV-4e1b9813ecd044778a017a01c6dc471b.jpg
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 19:10   #18
BHPian

Very well put together as always Moralfibre!

I echo the sentiment of most that this car will struggle with practicality. We need a car which can do Goa and back without the hassle of anything. This will not give me the range to reach non stop and neither will it survive the current roads to get there!
I reckon that ground clearance is something like 120 mm give or take a few. Thats 1 mm per lac lol

I am in general curious to know why there is so much stuff under the bonnet? Could they have not done better space management with the batteries being where the engine usually is?

Also - I didn't notice a spare wheel. So does it have run flats? 20 inch alloys and run flats will be a really harsh ride.

Last but not the least - 1 crore? seriously?

Last edited by nitrogary : 8th October 2020 at 19:17.
nitrogary is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 21:06   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The Mercedes EQC has been launched in India at a price of Rs. 99.30 lakhs (ex-showroom, India).
Brilliant 5 star review (rated so) of an equally brilliant car! Thanks guys for sharing. My quick thoughts after reading the review -
  1. Mercedes Benz SONET from back!!!
  2. The German engineering again proves its immortality. The design, implementation, packaging & attention to detail even on the deepest nooks and crannies under the car is just so German. Such a joy to witness the work of amazing engineers.
  3. EVs really are coming way faster than I ever thought they would. We are already entering into the times of those futuristic cartoons we grew up watching as kids.
  4. Such great planning & transition by established players like ZF to ensure they remain as significant as earlier even after epoch of shift to electric mobility. Those unprepared would easily be lost in oblivion.
  5. I had known it needs cooling but looking at these excellent detailed pictures of the "engine" bay (wow we even need a new name for this now! ) - realized how well designed the cooling system for the motor would have to be. Quite an intricate design this by MB with heat exchangers etc. Good luck service center teams in maintaining these cars for next couple of years while these are still low volume sale.
  6. The cockpit is really futuristic & a volcano of quality & finish. Superb.
  7. The charging numbers show how far the range + charging time equation needs to evolve still. For a home charger, the car takes full 21 hours to recharge.
  8. Why do EVs have to look crooked from the front? There are very few EVs that actually look good, subtle. Surprisingly, one of them is an Indian car! Most tend to be either sci-fi, over aggressive or out right LOUD on the face.

And -

Whisper these power+torque numbers in the air intake of a diesel engine OR the 0-100 time in the air intake of a V6 petrol. They'll instantaneously dismantle into pieces on the ground.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th October 2020 at 21:23.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz might look into local production of EVs is there is demand.

Quote:
Speaking about local production of electric vehicles, Martin Schwenk, MD & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India told "We will definitely bring in cars, the number and volume are really dependent on do we see the demand coming. Will the policies be like this? and then, if we get to some level of volume then for sure we'll also discuss localisation."
Quote:
When asked if the company will consider local production in the future whenever it decides to launch a second electric vehicle in India, Schwenk said, "It hinges on do we get enough volume. Again, we need big enough volume, and we need a framework. If the government continues what they have been doing, with focus on electric, and understands that it takes time for completely new technology to develop and penetrate the market. If they understand that and continue what they are doing then I am positive that we'll find a way to work with relatively low volumes at some point, to which we'll have locally built cars as well."
https://www.carandbike.com/news/merc...demand-2307241

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th October 2020 at 22:57.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 23:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Very detailed and informative review.

Coming to EQC, I do not think MB is interested in selling, may be they are not considering sales beyond those 50 units. The price is ridiculously high for whatever reason.

Their lack of interest can be seen from their charging info slide, why name power figures as kWh instead of kw. In ICE terms if somebody asks what's the tank size, the answer given is it fills as per the fuel pipe nozzle size.

Attachment 2065078
not sure I understand your point, the kwh is the rate at which the charging options charges, and the full capacity is given below as 80kwh.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 00:43   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Pop-up the plastic cover to get a view of a motor that is a significant departure from the standard fare one is experienced with:
The massive electric motor up-front manufactured by ZF
The good old friendly radiator is placed forward with an XXL-sized fan housing:
A naive question, why is Tesla engine (battery) bay so empty as against the one in MB?

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th October 2020 at 00:44.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 05:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Great review!!

Now we know where Kia took the inspiration from for the Sonet's rear
It might be other way around also. Kia Sportage rear has this look from 2016 or 2017 onwards :-)
anish5225 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 07:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

~1.2 crores for a car that can do about 250km on a charge!
I quite like the design, even though they've played it down a bit. What I can't get is how they got the whole ground clearance thing wrong, considering they know our conditions and our market best among the German/Euro club.

That fuse box looks stark compared to what you'd usually find under the good of a ICE vehicle.

Thanks for sharing.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 08:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
not sure I understand your point, the kwh is the rate at which the charging options charges, and the full capacity is given below as 80kwh.
Those figures of 3.4kw, 7.2kw, 50kw are for the mobile charger, wall box charger and fast chargers available in India, even though their car can charge at higher speeds, given in 3rd row of the same slide. The slide also shows the 50kw fast charger of forum.

If your car can charge at consistent 50kw per hour then energy taken from charger is 50kwh, but that never happens as the power figures taper at higher state of battery capacity.

Similar to homes having 3kw supply, but we never say 3kwh.
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:21   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
A naive question, why is Tesla engine (battery) bay so empty as against the one in MB?

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Qae_3RDa6sM
I believe it's mainly because all components in the engine bay in the Tesla are placed above the motor and the motor is placed way behind the front impact beams. While for the EQC, the motors are stretched as forward as possible. If the EQC had managed to stack most of the components better, it would have offered similar space in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mercedes-Benz might look into local production of EVs is there is demand.
Unlikely that they would do that for two reasons:

1) All batteries and motors are currently imported and even for something like the Nexon, 45% of its components are imports. The Nexon has moved more units than the Merc would and it still makes better sense to import them.
2) The market is yet to warm up to EVs and the necessary infra to back EVs is far from evolved.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th October 2020 at 09:24.
moralfibre is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:37   #27
Team-BHP Support

Nice report!

Note that the layout of the EQC will not mirror that of a Tesla as it is built on the same production lines for the GLC. This uses GLC's architecture. The forthcoming EQE, EQS will run on a more specific architecture for electric motors

Last edited by ajmat : 9th October 2020 at 20:05.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 18:01   #28
BHPian

IMHO, when tesla decides to launch in India, it will absolutely kill This SUV. And for that matter this isn’t a mass market product, i expect MB to sell on average single digits monthly. Doesn’t make sense to buy when you have the Kona and the MG ZS, the Nexon offers the best VFM too. But similar range as the MG at 4x the price? I don’t think it will attract customers.

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th October 2020 at 20:42. Reason: Not the Hector but the ZS
Schneller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 20:33   #29
Deo
BHPian

Styling from Mercedes has been spot on over the years, but cant get around the EQC styling. This looks so much like Lincoln, the silhouette and everything.

I could imagine they wanted to make it stand out from the crowd, as is the norm with electric vehicles in general these days. But aint it better if the design actually blends in like a traditional design rather than trying too hard to stand out. Something like Tycan, it doesn't deviate from the Porsche family design in general just because it is electric.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Mercedes EQC Electric SUV-lincoln-mkt.jpg  

Deo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2020, 10:06   #30
BHPian

First up, great review!
I am surprised to find no quantification of the range in the likes/dislikes section. Just a nebulous qualification "healthy". The Kona and Nexon reviews had it. I found 291 and 287 referred next to the word range. Does the manufacturer not claim a number or bother to put it in spec sheet? This makes me believe that this a half hearted car intended for the company to fill the "we care about the environment" section of their website. Scratch deeper and the 95% recyclable claim might fall apart. It might require you to run a small fusion reactor to convert the tires to plant fertilizer or something. :-)
sramanat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks