Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2024, 17:30   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmody View Post
Hi

We are looking to replace our 2018 Creta and I've been looking at the Tiguan and have taken 2 test drives.

Any help or suggestions would be super helpful. Thanks.
Hi, We have a tiguan TDi too in Mumbai - primarily driver driven though also a great option to be behind the wheel on road trips, nights, etc.

We recently checked out a few cars to consider as alternatives to the Tiguan with a better ride and more suited for being chauffeur driven around which could be worth considering:
1. Q3: Did not like it - except the nicer interiors and better ride there was nothing going for it compared to the Tiguan which felt a size bigger, similar powertrain, AWD, etc.
2. Tucson: It's nice. I found the ingress to be not as easy and rear seats on lower side. Ride is softer, interiors are nicer, space is similar to Tiguan, decent pep in the diesel, petrol is best for cruising along, and all the features. There is a facelift on the cards, and just like the Tiguan//Kodiaq/Q3 : parts availability for not so common parts will entail a wait.
3. Kodiaq: Blew us away! The Adaptive dampers make ride perfectly balanced and the added practicality thanks to the third row is nice to have - the tiguan has been perfect for our trips so far but the few airport runs where we would take 2 cars could be reduced to 1.
4. Innova Hycross: Honestly I am having a tough time convincing my head about this one. Massive legroom, Hybrid, fairly well equipped, easy to drive, etc. Slightly stiff ride and not really a performance queen with seats on lower side - but the recline angle + arm rest + extra support from ottomans could see my lounging in the rear on a long drive! Perfect if you don't see yourself driving this enthusiastically - save those miles for the Passat! The lower trims - such as the petrol GX(O) at 25-26L on road could be a perfect car if you have low running and will be chauffeur driven (where the features don't matter as much either).
Old 30th April 2024, 22:31   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

We are looking to replace our 2018 Creta and I've been looking at the Tiguan and have taken 2 test drives.

Any help or suggestions would be super helpful. Thanks.
We were in a similar conundrum as you. We considered everything from Jimny to GLA as a an addition/ replacement for our 2017 Creta. The use case is also similar, ~1200 km a month, about 80% city or Kerala state highways.

Test drove Jimny, Seltos facelift, Tiguan, Tucson, Kodiaq, Q3, XC40 Recharge, X1, and GLA, between November 2022 and April 2024. Even booked the XC40 Recharge and diesel X1 last year and cancelled later as we were indecisive. We are finally getting the Tiguan next week and retaining the Creta.

What finally led us to choose the Tiguan was the value (especially with the current discounts). It’s essentially the Q3 with a few more features and 20 lacs cheaper. Sure the Q3 looks nicer and has badge value, but even the “technology” variant lacks memory seats. Notable misses on the Tiguan are ventilated seats, powered passenger seat, 360 degree camera, machined alloy wheels, and ADAS. No other car in this class other than the Kodiaq has ventilated seats. The Kodiaq gets most of these features, but the dimensions are not city friendly, and we could not clinch as nice a deal. We also prefer the discreet looks and badge of the Tiguan over the other Germans.

The other contender in my mind was the Seltos. It is amazing value, but lacks premium/ solid feel compared to the other cars we considered, and Kia has unfortunately repeatedly fared poorly in crash tests. My family didn’t like it as much as I did.

Point to note is that the GLA has had a price increase of close to 10 lacs over our car shopping period and now costs over 75 lacs with extended warranty in Kerala for the 4matic. Service pack is on top of this. And I’m sure the next gen Kodiaq/ Tiguan Allspace when launched will cost over 55 lacs OTR in Kerala.

Last edited by one-77 : 30th April 2024 at 22:33.
Old 30th April 2024, 22:45   #798
BHPian

Hi @cmody
If you are not fully convinced by the Tiguan at its (negotiated) price point, do consider taking a look at the Škoda Kodiaq from the house of Škoda Auto Volkswagen India (although that also brings 1 additional row with 2 extra seats Vs. the VW Tiguan). Both are end of life cycle products, hence, would be running healthy markdowns/discounts on the sticker price, along with EW, service packages, etc. thrown in, depending on how hard you drive a bargain.

Quote:
We are looking to replace our 2018 Creta and I've been looking at the Tiguan.
Now the conundrum..
Any help or suggestions would be super helpful..

While you may find parts sharing b/w the ŠAVI and Audi India product lines—esp., the Q3/A4, their overall quality, ambience and build are definitely a notch above the former. Hence, at the negotiated pricing you have mentioned, that could make a great choice, too. Albeit with marginally smaller footprint overall for the said Audis—just make sure your heart and mind fully commit to the choice, to avoid any regrets later on.
Old 1st May 2024, 08:26   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreep View Post
According to the SA , they only have 1 silver colour car available for MY 2023 and quoted a 2.5 lakh rupee discount on the same.
Yesterday I was at VW dealer-ship to collect some paper works, post-delivery of my Tiguan.

I asked them about present discounts on Tiguan. The discount offered to you is correct. They showed my clear instruction from VW on discounts of MY 23 cars. And it changed over past months. However, now that all MY23 are exhausted. You can start negotiating on MY 2024 cars. VW website still (in-fact extended till 31 May) showing discounts up to 3.40 lakhs by various forms. It is up to the dealer-ship that if they can help you to get maximum discounts, like they did for me.

As per their planning new Tiguan in India is far distance away. Their next launch will be ID.4 in 2024, followed by 7-seater Tayron in 2025. No plan yet for new Tiguan.

Skoda Kodiaq is an excellent alternative you can look for, if 7-seater is no issue for you.

For further details please DM me.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 10:23   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
We were in a similar conundrum as you. We considered everything from Jimny to GLA as a an addition/ replacement for our 2017 Creta. The use case is also similar, ~1200 km a month, about 80% city or Kerala state highways.
Thank you all for the insights.
The Kodiaq is too big for comfortable use in Mumbai as per me and hence has not been considered by me. I also liked the design of the Tiguan better as in it should age better than the Kodiaq.

It's the same for us that we all really liked the Seltos as well but drive quality and safety aspect of the Tiguan is soooo much better.

So after due discussion with the family I've finally given the dealership a price I'm comfortable closing the deal at and waiting for the revert. Let's see what they come back with.
cmody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 20:27   #801
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded the alloys?
(The OE options seem prohibitively expensive)
Or tried painting them a gun metal grey shade?
If so would you please share some pics?
I so wish VW at least gave one of the nicer 18 inch alloys they have in other markets. Even a simple 5-spoke would have made the car look smarter.
Old 6th May 2024, 21:08   #802
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Sharing my bad-luck with you all and obviously looking for your expert advice.

Our joy and happiness of owning a VW Tiguan was very short lived, as today it has been established by VW service center that the car came with one or more manufacturing defects.

To elaborate our hard luck with the car please note below mentioned details.

In the month of March, we booked the Tiguan in NSB color with VW Gurugram, sector 62. But due to unavailability of that color (dealer sold the only one car of this color to someone else with-out notifying us and we were on vacation), later we choose Dolphin Grey color.

We carried out PDI of the car on 24th April with odometer reading at 14.6 kms at dealers’ stock-yard.

On 28th April 2024, we took delivery of the car from showroom with odometer reading 27.4 km and got home the car and odometer reading was 41 km.

We were running the car at very sedate manner for 4-5 days (no hard acceleration or high speed) due to engine brake in-period.

On 4th May, with odometer reading around 124 kms, while moving on a slightly up-slope road in NCR (not a steep slope), while I pressed the accelerator to approx. 50% position to maintain average speed of other cars around, heard a metallic cracking noise came from the rear of the car for a very brief period of time (less than a second). Immediately after that noise, the car’s gear changing behaviors got changed. The car was holding on to a gear for a very long time and up-shifting only after 3000 rpm. For example, car was holding on 1st gear till the speed reaches to 30 kmph or 3000+ rpm. Same way at a speed close to 80 kmph, car was still at 4th gear, revving hard. Paddle shifters or ‘M’ mode drive was not working at this phase. There was no alarm or fault displayed at MID (till date).

We stopped the car, after locking-unlocking the car, we started off again, and now everything went on normal. After few kms ahead, same scenario / behaviors occurred (metal cracking noise followed by abnormal behaviors of gear change) again on an up-slope road. We came back home & parked the car in our parking that night.

On 5th May morning we took out the car to check again. The car started off all well with all normal behaviors and smooth, till we started driving on an up-slope section of Sohna highway. Same scenario with issues of gear changes only with high revvs. Drove the car again in the same evening, again same symptoms.

Now I was worried and started realizing that there are some issues with the car.

Today morning visited VW Gurgram work-shop at sector 72. Promptly they arrange scanning of the car. No fault, DTC error was found with the car.

Initially they informed me that this is normal behaviors and signs of 4motion getting engaged, they were reluctant to open a job card. But, being a car enthusiast & driver for last 25 years, I was not buying this and insisted on proper road test.

With-in 1-2 kms of driving, on an open road with hard acceleration, work-shop technician also noticed the issue. He stopped the car, checked for any loose body panels, nothing was found. We came back to work-shop, a job card was opened.

Today evening, I had a chat with the SA, and he informed me that they have completed visual inspection and other checks required with-out opening any parts, they could not find anything abnormal from outside of the car but the problem persists which they can’t address or understand. They will prepare a full report with video etc and send it to VW India for their evaluation.

Then on all our travel plans and happiness with the new car gone in the drain, we are all in sadness.

The car is still at the work-shop.

Now, the big question coming in my mind what is next other than obvious, writing to VW India customer care.

I am not at all keen to open the new car’s gear box or differential. It is a manufacturing defects and VW should address it accordingly. But as we know these corporates, they always try the easiest options available with them, that is repair the car.

Appreciate your valuable advice / opinion, as I am really stunned.

Thanks in advance.

Brdgs
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 10:19   #803
BHPian

Let the root cause be determined by VW to begin with.

Please insist on the root cause and proposed actions from VW India (replacement of parts etc) to be shared over email.

This will help create evidence on record for next steps from your side.

Most important, please be there in-person when the VW technical folk(s) visit and inspect your car, make sure to record that inspection on video.

Also, ask them to NOT remove/open any part without your written approval on email. Share this request as well on email.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 12:20   #804
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Has anyone upgraded the alloys?
(The OE options seem prohibitively expensive)
Or tried painting them a gun metal grey shade?
If so would you please share some pics?
I so wish VW at least gave one of the nicer 18 inch alloys they have in other markets. Even a simple 5-spoke would have made the car look smarter.
Hi, I have attached the images of my Tiguan Exclusive Edition car which came with the 18 inch sebring alloys as standard fitment. Please pardon the poor quality of these images as these were taken on my phone.

2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-tiguan-pic-2.jpg
2021 Volkswagen Tiguan Facelift Review-tiguan-pic-1.jpg
Raz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2024, 23:53   #805

Hi all, need some advice on my Tiguan Aug23 OBD2 model. For the last two months have noticed a very strange and odd niggle in my car's brake pedal, while applying brakes the brake pedal does not travel smoothly and has a clicky resistance as if it is stuck somewhere, once it passes that initial click/resistance phase it works fine until I press it again when this niggle repeats itself. I have got the brakes checked at ASC and there has been no issue in braking efficiency. The ASC guys did some greasing of brake pedal but it has not solved this niggle, any suggestion shall be helpful.
Old 14th May 2024, 16:05   #806

Getting home a VW Tiguan Dolphin Grey

Purchase Decision & Journey

Safety: We are a family of 4 with 2 infants. While choosing a car, safety [active and passive] is the first priority.

Cost Effectiveness: I had changed jobs recently. While my previous company had given a 2023 Verna Turbo, this car had to be purchased from our own wallet. Was looking to minimise the pinch and probably get good resale value.

Comfort: Considering the family's space requirements will increase over the next 5-7 years, the car should have comfortable seating.

Driving Dynamics and a Sense of Occasion: Having owned a Polo GT TSi for 4 years, had always preferred sorted driving dynamics of the Europeans. As our running distance is going to be low, we wanted a sense of occasion whenever we used our car. We have an Innova Crysta in the family which takes care of the grunt work.

Cars Considered

Kia Seltos/Hyundai Creta/MG Hector
Rejected due to the image problem in Gurgaon and poor/untested safety. No offense to the readers owning these cars, however they did not feel like ~22 lakhs OTR for top variants. We loved the huge feature list however did not meet the driving dynamics and sense of occasion criteria.

Mahindra Scorpio/XUV 7OO
While they were great cars with tested safety, they met the driving dynamics criteria as well. However, not there as the Europeans, but pretty great to drive. We were not impressed with the switchgear and overall interior quality and felt that a bit of finesse was missing. Hyundai/Kia cabins felt way better.
On the other hand, with their massive popularity, I am sure they will hold their values pretty well.

Tata Safari/Harrier
NCR, Diesel enough said.

VW Taigun/Virtus
We had almost finalised the Virtus GT Plus and were ready to wait for the Curcuma Yellow colour. At the Gurugram showroom, we by chance ran into our campus batchmate [my wife and I were in the same engineering college ] after 14 years who had a Tiguan. He seemed pretty satisfied with it.

We asked our SA for a TD and he arranged it immediately. I floored it on the GFR and was reminded of the beautiful TSI+DSG combo of my Polo GT [with nearly 2x the horses]. Had a hard breaking moment as well, and was super impressed by the stability and breaking dynamics.

The build quality and international acceptance of Tiguan meant that safety is taken care of as well. ADAS is missed, but not much as I am a sedate driver. We did miss ventilated seats in northern summers, and that’s a grouse that I will always have with VW product managers.

Deal making
MY 2023 Tiguans are available at great discounts. VW is offering a service pack of 4 years, which will reduce the servicing cost. I further negotiated with 4-5 dealers and settled the deal with VW Dwarka. They matched the insurance price and with Extended Warranty, they came quite close to my target price. While we would have preferred Night Shade Blue, the Dolphin Grey colour also looked quite premium and we finalised it. Please note that Night Shade Blue and Kings Red are not available on MY 2023 models in NCR. Most dealers offered only White and Silver.

Final OTR: 34.89 Lakhs with Extended Warranty. Checked some used car websites and saw that this car is holding value well. Understandably so, there is no car in 30-40 L bracket which delivers luxury car value at half the price.

We took delivery in 1 week of booking, this was the time the car took for transit as per my SA. I have my doubts though. As when I was doing the T-BHP PDI, i found that there was some dust on the car. Also, when the car was in-transit, I asked for the tracking link of the truck, and SA could not arrange that. Although the PDI was OK.

Delivery Process
The overall delivery process was tedious. VW seriously needs to work on their dealership experience beyond the jazzy furniture. We waited for a full day at the showroom for PDI+Delivery, even without financing, and there were delays at every step with no timeline available. Not the experience for purchasing such a high value item, and we would prefer to forget the day.

In the end, we bought home our car and are happily pottering about in it. It is the most expensive car we have owned and I just love the value it delivers. Proper luxury car feels with white, great quality interiors, super quite cabin and sorted, planted ride. The clean and Audi-like creases pleased everyone in the family and I did feel a bit of pride!

NB: Company Laptop doesn’t allow uploading pics, coming soon!
Loco-moto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 20:59   #807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco-moto View Post
Getting home a VW Tiguan Dolphin Grey

Deal making
MY 2023 Tiguans are available at great discounts. VW is offering a service pack of 4 years, which will reduce the servicing cost. I further negotiated with 4-5 dealers and settled the deal with VW Dwarka. They matched the insurance price and with Extended Warranty, they came quite close to my target price. While we would have preferred Night Shade Blue, the Dolphin Grey colour also looked quite premium and we finalised it. Please note that Night Shade Blue and Kings Red are not available on MY 2023 models in NCR. Most dealers offered only White and Silver.

Final OTR: 34.89 Lakhs with Extended Warranty. Checked some used car websites and saw that this car is holding value well. Understandably so, there is no car in 30-40 L bracket which delivers luxury car value at half the price.

Congratulations on your new car. It's one of the best in this price range. Did you check the Kodiaq as well? We have booked a Kodiaq but are confused between Kodiaq, Tiguan and XUV 700. At the above quoted price the Tiguan seems like an amazing deal.
Old 16th May 2024, 00:33   #808
BHPian

Went through some of the problems Tiguan owners are facing. I am in the market for a used SUV around 15-20 Lakhs and 2017 Tiguans fit perfectly in this bracket. I am okay with minor issues like the battery dying etc but would sourcing parts be an issue? I've read that a small dashboard trim piece took weeks to arrive. I will enquire about this with my local mechanic as well as ASS but whats your opinion on buying a used 2017 Tiguan?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks