Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2022, 20:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
After corporate discounts and festive offers, it should be a good buy for first time buyers or people like me who own and operate cheap, fun cars.
The car has got decent performance as well. I saw a review on YouTube by ‘Talking Cars’, they were all praise on the performance and handling.
Old 25th August 2022, 22:05   #32
BHPian

Having owned a Alto before I would say that THIS version is a disgrace of a car at THIS price point. Zero safety, hard seats utterly lacking comfort, horrible suspension, horrible interior/exterior quality of materials. Forget the hideous Espresso that looks like an Alto on poorly designed stilts, a better comparison would be with Ignis that has a better engine, safety and better build all around for similar or slightly higher price. When competition like Tata, Mahindra etc can give way better cars at similar price point, Suzuki is bent on ripping of the Indian public with dangerous products like Alto.

Such half baked atrocities should be shown the boot sooner than later. Only then Manufacturers will listen and make safer products

By the way I bought the Alto at less than 50% of current prices back in 2013 as a Secondary car for my wife to learn driving that too inside City roads. The Car was dented all around and promptly sold once my wife was comfortable with driving and we went for a better alternative.

Last edited by venbas : 25th August 2022 at 22:16. Reason: Typos
venbas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 01:15   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The new one seems to improve on the older one in almost all aspects.
Really? Thinner tyres, no fog lamps or even the provision to install, and smaller rear seat windows, lack of any insulation in the wheel wells leading to poor NVH, cheapo gear knob etc..., I think this new model is much worse than the older model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Goes to show that people will prefer a touch-screen head unit over the safety of good road illumination at night. I'm really disappointed with this move by Maruti. Wouldn't have costed a lot to put a couple of cut-outs with caps for fog lights in the bumper.
People (as in the buying customers) have no say in the matter. Even if the customer prefers better illumination over a touchscreen HU, they don't really have a voice. This is purely Suzuki's decision to cut costs and give a cheap car, but priced at a premium. This is only about maximizing their profits, and nothing else.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 06:58   #34
BHPian

I’ve always liked the Alto for what it offered. I could even digest the Alto 800, but this new gen car is just sad compared to its ancestors. Others have already mentioned the mismatch of features and pricing.

That hideous grill up front along with those copycat headlamps are the worst, turning the Alto from a cute and smart little car into a wannabe nerd.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 17:22   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venbas View Post
When competition like Tata, Mahindra etc can give way better cars at similar price point, Suzuki is bent on ripping of the Indian public with dangerous products like Alto
The only direct competition to the Alto/K10 from another manufacturer is the Renault Kwid. The only other A-segment rival is the SPresso from Maruti stable.

The cheapest TATA and Mahindra products compete in the entry level B segment - priced against cars like the Celerio. Their base variants are priced higher than Alto top variants.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th August 2022 at 17:25.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 08:07   #36
BHPian

I was listening to vivekji05 and JayD in Talking Cars AltoK10 review. Surprisingly, many observations are contradicting with team bhp review, especially with ride quality and high speed manners.
5252rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 10:12   #37
BHPian

The Alto as a concept is an automobile (the cheapest possible Automobile conceivable by Suzuki) that is to be used for travelling from point A to point B. Period. I hear people talking about NVH but seriously? In Alto? The Alto was always a car that has great operating costs and is a nimble mover and that's that. Yes, Safety is a non negotiable and a valid criticism. I found the T BHP review to be superb with a balanced view of the expectations from the car. It would be better to look at the product from that viewpoint.

By the way, this Alto is the K10, so naturally base prices that one is comparing against is higher. I understand the root of the frustrations stem from the prices of the car. But such is the reality of the market today. Every existing car, as and when revamped, will keep becoming more expensive as regulations change at the drop of a hat and commodities become expensive. The end of Santro is the reality today which was still a segment higher car than Alto. The juice just is not worth the squeeze. I am not even talking about the end of Nano or Eon. The segment is just not viable anymore as the minimum requirements keep getting costlier. I just admire Suzuki for not giving up totally. Like my friend told me when he booked the new Alto recently as a second car, "It's bloody expensive but when Petrol costs Rs 110 a litre and there is barely a murmur, the how can one say anything to Suzuki?"
Carma2017 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 16:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

How does this AMT compare to Spresso which has hill hold ? I found the gear shifts really obvious while driving Spresso AMT
Old 20th September 2022, 12:43   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Iconic Maruti 800cc engine to be discontinued after 40 years.

Tighter emission norms on the horizon, combined with low demand, spells the end of the F8D engine.

Link (Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review)
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 14:23   #40
BANNED

Is Alto K10 a replacement for the Alto? Or are Altos (without the K10) still available?
Old 25th July 2023, 17:12   #41
BHPian

Although, I am not in the running to buy an Alto now, but based on the crash tests with the new norms, Alto K10 has done quite well. Seems safer than any other Maruti / Hyundai to me.
crodjer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 03:05   #42

Alto(2020) - One year ownership review

Introduction

I’ve taken delivery of my Alto car just a week prior to the launch of the new Alto K10 - 2022, I've accumulated 17,000 km in one year and wish to share my ownership experience with the Alto 800. As a college student, I rely on this car as my daily driver, and despite being new to blog writing, I'd like to provide insights into my journey. Opting for an Alto over faster hatchbacks was a deliberate choice due to the economic advantage – with all expenses, including maintenance and fuel costs, being managed by my parents.
2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review-f8b76c65b87b4a588ab9e1057cd7bb036048000004b93bac74a7.jpeg

Variant

My model is the BS6 VXI+ trim, the top variant of the car which no longer bears the 800 branding.
2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review-aaff6c341b56423ea7f890484414a94f6048000004b9656c748b.jpeg

Pros

This car is renowned for its exceptional city mileage of around 18 kmpl, making it incredibly fuel-efficient for daily commutes. The peppy engine ensures smooth city driving, while its compact size facilitates easy parking. The AC is effective, and the maintenance and spare parts costs are notably affordable.
2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review-img_2383.jpeg

Cons

While the car excels in many aspects, the build quality raises concerns, with panels susceptible to bending under slight pressure. Steering lacks feedback on highways, and though NVH levels have improved, there's room for enhancement. The recommendation for upsizing to 13-inch wheels stems from the original 12-inch wheels being notably small.
2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review-img_2415.jpeg

Daily City Drives

The Alto 800 shines in city traffic, providing ease of maneuverability with its peppy midrange engine and balanced steering. The clutch is light, preventing stalling even in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and the small turning radius of 4.6m aids in hassle-free U-turns.

Highway Drivability

While the car is not primarily designed for highways, maintaining speeds below 120 kmph ensures confident driving. Braking has improved with the addition of ABS, and the mileage reaches around 22 kmpl on highways with the AC on.
2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review-img_0852.jpeg

Infotainment System

The Alto VXI+ boasts a 7-inch infotainment system supporting wired Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The overall experience is commendable for its price, especially with the utility of Apple CarPlay and maps.
2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review-ffc5cfcbea6e4b6c8935fc654992bd016048000004b935010a3f.jpeg
2022 Maruti Alto K10 Review-299b103940db4e8e9e02b2ac7c85ce246048000004b94c0866e2.jpeg

Safety

Enhancements in safety features include ABS, twin airbags, seatbelt pretensioners for all seats, and effective reverse parking sensors. However, despite these features, there's room for improvement in the overall build quality.

After Sales Service

Maruti Suzuki's after-sales service has been smooth, with responsive service engineers promptly addressing concerns. Recently, my car experienced a slight rattling noise, promptly resolved within 30 minutes. Kudos to the service team for their efficient assistance.
chandrus03 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 16:09   #43
BHPian

Re: Alto(2020) - One year ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrus03 View Post

Introduction

I’ve taken delivery of my Alto car just a week prior to the launch of the new Alto K10 - 2022, I've accumulated 17,000 km in one year and wish to share my ownership experience with the Alto 800.
My uncle bought a 2023 last batch Alto 800 bs6 and here are my observations. I drive a WagonR 1.1 F10D, so will be my reference point-

What I really liked -

• Heavily improved F8D engine - First time I drove it, I was like "where is the AC lag!?". Maruti engineers have done some black magic and completely eliminated AC lag from the F8D 800c engine. The engine now feels way more mature and jerk free. It revvs cleanly and has strong midrange power. Overall, now It drives like a 1000cc for most part. Unless you attempt an uphill overtake with full load. That's the only situation where it reminded me that it's still an 800cc. But on plains, 4 passengers + AC doing 90kph is effortless. You don't even realise youre doing 80-90, that's how effortless it feels. WagonR with its bigger F10D engine still has minute AC lag, but bs6 Alto doesn't have any!

• NVH control - NVH is so much better than older Alto's. Roll up all windows and it's pretty much silent inside, very less tyre and wind noise filters in. It just doesn't feel like a budget car. Compared to this, my WagonR doesn't have even half as good NVH.

• Suspension - Ride quality is amazing for a entry level car. It's even better than some higher segment cars. It just dismisses regular sizes potholes like nothing happened. It's got gas charged shocks with more suspension travel. The thick 80 profile 12 inch tyres also help in bump absorption. WagonR 1.1 with it's stiff suspension is a let down in this aspect.

• Mileage - Fuel efficiency is lovely. Consistent 18-20+kpl with AC. Wheras I rarely get more than 15 kpl with the WagonR.

What I didn't like -

• Steering - steering is terrible (no offence). Vague, lifeless, no feel, feedback and zero return to center action. It's not that light either. My 18 year old WagonR's EPS is much lighter, offers decent feel and returns to center naturally. Not only Alto, the steerings of all recent Maruti cars is same. I don't understand why Maruti has downgraded their steering systems.

• Bodyroll - the improved ride comfort has come at a cost. Despite being a low slung car it has significant body roll, due to the soft long travel suspension. Believe it or not, my tallboy WagonR has less body-roll than Alto because it has stiffer suspension.

• Handling - it understeers a lot due to those skinny 145 section tyres. Add the vague steering and bodyroll, it's not that pleasant in corners.

• Brakes - braking is bad. You have to press the pedal all the way in to get some braking. Maruti uses the smallest size disc brakes in Alto 800. WagonR's braking is much better and confidence inspiring.

• Throttle lag - bs6 Alto uses a drive-by-wire/electronic throttle. There is a split second lag between giving throttle and engine response. This gets annoying, especially in hills. When you stop on a steep uphill and try moving again, the car keeps stalling. My WagonR with old school cable throttle and strong low end torque is way better in this aspect.

• Space - interiors, especially the rear is cramped. Ingress and egress is also hard.

What I both like & don't like -

• Low slung nature - i like sitting close to the ground, gives a better feel of handling. Perhaps, Alto 800 was the last low slung budget car. It's so easy to squeze through narrow gaps and tight spaces. But you sit so low that literally every other vehicle is taller than you. Other cars, SUV's, buses, trucks, everything come too close and try to push you away from your lane. It's a scary experience, something that I never encounter in my WagonR.

• Gear shifts - Alto 800's cable operated gear shifts are far better than my WagonR's archaic linkage type shifter. But the shift's are still not as good as other latest Maruti cars.

• Light build - it has airbags and ABS, but it just doesn't feel safe. On the flip side, it's light construction and good ground clearance gives it incredible bad road capability. So much so that it has earned the name 'Lord Alto'

Overall, Alto 800 bs6 is a great choice for a small family. It's any day better than buying a motorcycle/scooter. It's fun, peppy, comfy, efficient and extremely reliable. Sad that it's no longer available : (
RD410 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2023, 19:53   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD410 View Post
Maruti engineers have done some black magic and completely eliminated AC lag from the F8D 800c engine.
This is one thing I hate the most in 800cc kwid - there is significant loss in power after turning AC ON. In lower gears it gets very jerky and refuses to move when theres 4 passengers. I wonder how Maruti managed to eliminate it in Alto 800. Is it because of the way they tune the engine or some kind of special compressor they use?

Last edited by Joe367 : 8th December 2023 at 19:54. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Old 10th December 2023, 12:37   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
Is it because of the way they tune the engine or some kind of special compressor they use?
It's due to both I think. I drive 3 cars - WagonR 1.1 which is my daily and Alto 800 bs6 & Grand i10 1.2 which are in the family. And the Alto 800 feels closer to Grand i10 in terms of overall drive feel. You know how Hyundai cars are so silent in the inside and have smooth gearshifts, this Alto 800 is almost there. That's saying a lot about it. A/c lag and jerking are totally gone. On plain roads, with A/c it accelerates to 90, even 100 kph without any sort of struggle. It's only in the hills that you feel lack of displacement, but it's still not too bothering. This level of change can only be achieved with serious engine reworking and Maruti deserves credit here. The soft, cushiony ride quality is just icing on cake.

Honestly, I feel a bs6 Alto 800 is all the car you need. It's so fun to drive. It can do city, highway, commuting, touring, mild off-roading, everything; while costing peanuts to run, own and maintain. Sometimes I am tempted to sell my WagonR and get an Alto. Even though WagonR offers superior performance in hills, much better practicality, etc. it's not as fun to drive or silent inside and jerk free. Also at 90-100 kph, Alto is more relaxed, so I guess it has taller gearing. The only 2 things I wished in Alto were stronger brakes and power adjustable ORVM's. Maruti could have easily made the 800cc variant bs6 phase 2 compliant. But I guess they chose to pull the plug in favour of the more profitable K10.
RD410 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks