Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2022, 13:55   #256
BHPian

Re: Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review

Maruti Alto has always been the champ when it comes to affordability, mechanical robustness and fun to drive factor. It is endowed with decent onroad behaviour and supreme agility during the chaotic everyday driving scenarios. The engine too deserves a mention inspite of being a 47ps unit, it's one of the sprightliest during the traffic light drags and delivers superb tractability as well due to it's low gearing and low kerb weight. We have owned two iterations of the Alto over the years and must say it again that it's a Star.
Phantom 510 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 08:05   #257
KPR
BANNED

Update on my Alto:
ODO: 16000 km
Niggles: Just that door lock knob has broken in rear right. Costs ₹6 in boodmo. I will change it during annual service
Rattles: Nil

On a heavy rain day I had misjudged the depth of a big pothole dug by corporation. The car underbody got struck in road floor level and left front wheel kept spinning. 3 guys lifted the Alto left and I reversed the car. Voila! Out of it in seconds .

It continues to do city runs, street runs, heck flower and vegetable wholesale market runs with aplomb. . Traffic? Bring it on. Alto is there.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 08:36   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Thanks to all posts in this thread. I've changed to Wagon R IRVM and fitted cabin filter immediately post delivery.
Is there a provision to fit the air filter? Can it be fitted to a 2009 model Alto Lxi?
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 06:38   #259
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is there a provision to fit the air filter? Can it be fitted to a 2009 model Alto Lxi?
You mean cabin AC filter? You may have to open glove box and see if provision is there. Several youtube videos are available to check variant of your car. Please check that. From my random search I had found that it is there.

Meanwhile my car had gone for 2nd year service at ODO 16500 km and 23 months from purchase date. Not even a rattle complaint. Changed brake fluid, coolant, engine oil and filter, spark plugs, WA,WB. It costed me ₹5100. The car continues to do yeoman service. I could be the last teambhp member to purchase the legendary F8D engine.

Last edited by KPR : 17th April 2023 at 06:43.
Old 17th April 2024, 18:41   #260

I purchased a used October 2021 manufactured Alto 800 BS6 in October 2023. The car had 6k km on the odo when I purchased it. Everything seemed okay for the first few months. For some background - I live in Srinagar, J&K and it gets pretty cold in winter. I used the car 7 days a week from October to February. In February I was away for 10 days and when I returned the temperatures were sub zero and the car just refused to start. (My 10y old Avenger which had been unused since October started with no issues on first attempt). I tried jumpstarting the car, it didn't help. So I called a mechanic to come have a look. He changed the spark plugs to old ones which I had changed out in the last service. The spark plugs that were taken out had some rust on then. He cranked the car for 30-40s straight and the car started. He tried to check for errors using his OBD scanner, there were no errors. He said that the electronic throttle control must have gotten jammed. While we were just chatting and the car idling we suddenly noticed the car missing a beat. The mechanic said that I should take it to the ASC to check for knocking.

The issue never arose again. The ASC said that everything is fine that this much of rust on the plugs are normal. The throttle control might've gotten jammed and that everything is okay.

Last week when I went to Kargil and I didn't start the car for a day the same issue resurfaced. This time I cranked it for 15s straight and it started.

How do I ensure that this doesn't happen again? (Apart from starting the car daily). I travel to remote places every now and then and I don't want to be stuck in some remote place.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Alto 800 : Official Review-20240224_134900.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks