Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
  Search this Thread
2,353,525 views
Old 1st August 2023, 16:12   #61
pms
BHPian
 
pms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 209
Thanked: 411 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Very crisp review covering most of the points!

I cant understand Honda's strategy here, first of all they come very late to the party and that too not with the latest features or choice of powerful engines. I can understand some features being gimmicky but there are many useful features like 360 cam, ventilated and powered seats that they should have provided. They cant expect and continue to milk the i-Vtec loyalists forever, Koreans and Indian manufacturers have taken the game to the next level.

Honda has to look at the competition and come out with the best. I being a Honda City owner for 11 years found it very difficult to upgrade from the same stable itself as the choices were almost nil. I finally ended up with Hyundai.

Elevate looks good and am sure it will drive good like any older i-Vtec. But will that be enough to shake the sales chart, doubtful.
pms is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:13   #62
BHPian
 
tsi_niks1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: UP32,HR26,MH12
Posts: 279
Thanked: 943 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Any 0-100 info on the Elevate?
Manual seems to do in 12:09 as per Rohit, Overdrive.

https://twitter.com/odmag/status/1686246583334035456
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:21   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Chennai
Posts: 46
Thanked: 172 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Elevate seems like a sorted product aimed at mature/sedate drivers. Its got the basics right and lack features is not a big problem if priced right i.e. priced comparable to mid variants of Creta, Seltos, Grand Vitara, etc.

But there are a few things that Honda has messed up IMO -

- Rear seat comfort (seat hump) and safety (middle hear rest) for 3 is lacking. For a car aimed at family audience, seating 3 at the back is important.

- Gear box tuning especially 6th gear doesn't seem right. 2600/3200 RMP for 100/120KMPH seems high. If I'm not wrong for Honda city 120 KMPH comes at around 2700 RPM.

- Low fuel efficiency. Hard to justify choosing lower fuel efficiency without having a powerful engine. Probably the 'boxy' shape is to blame.

- 40 Litres fuel tank without a fuel efficient engine? Why?? For someone like me who likes to refuel before fuel drops to 1/4th of the tank, ideal range is only gonna be around 300 to 350 KMs

- Lack of 6 airbags across all variants

So far it looks like Honda is not targeting to get more than 3K volume/Month.

Last edited by delusional_fool : 1st August 2023 at 16:23. Reason: corrected typo
delusional_fool is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:23   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Delhi,Faridabad
Posts: 114
Thanked: 322 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

From the discussion, it seems Honda Elevate does not fall into the likes of Seltos and Creta. It has its own domain. For example, C3 Aircross may fall in that bracket. The dynamics of C3 Aircross is also anticipated to be on spot.

In fact, since the people looking at Honda Elevate are looking from the perspective fundamentals, the C3 Aircross will divert some of the Honda Elevate customers.

I am sure Honda would not like to be put into C3 Aircross bracket because of niche customers, but the way Elevate has come out, it seems to be going in that direction only.

In any case, it is probably not accurate to regard Honda Elevate in competition with Seltos/Creta. Koreans and Japanese brothers and competition amongst themselves as far as features in a given budget is concerned.
evilminstrel is offline  
Old 1st August 2023, 16:26   #65
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 668 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Bhpian Bunny Punia shows Honda Elevate ZX CVT delivering 17.8 Kmpl by tankful to tankful method with 4 people onboard on highway speeds with AC on.

skarthiksr is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:27   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 4,180 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Hi 07CR - Your posts on Elevate seems very harsh on Honda.
I might sound harsh, but speaking just facts here. I am a prospective buyer in this segment, and was seriously considering the Elevate. But I am extremely disappointed with way Honda has gone overall. Only thing pending is pricing, which I am sure they will shoot themselves in the foot like they usually do. PS- Coming from an ex 7 year, 1L+ km Honda Amaze IDTEC owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
Please consider this as a delayed launch by Honda, which means a product which should have been launched in 2018 is launching in 2023, that's it. There is nothing wrong in Elevate except that it is launched 5 years later. Feature & quality wise Elevate is at par with Grand Vitara & Hyryder so let's wait for the price reveal.
Was this sarcasm? How can one view a car that suits more 2018 than 2023 as a positive? Also equipment wise, IMO, the Hyryder offers better equipment and the important Hybrid option, which Honda missed out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilminstrel View Post
By the way, it has ADAS 2 - for those who have been mentioning ADAS 1.
It has level one ADAS. For level 2, you need Radars in rear bumpers which help in Rear cross traffic alerts. Elevate does not get the rear radars, neither any camera for such functions.
07CR is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:29   #67
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Noida
Posts: 267
Thanked: 705 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigneshMC View Post
I have slightly different perspective here .
Most of the reviews point out lack of advanced features and powerful engine options .
I am also looking for car around 15L , I have shortlisted Seltos HTK , which anyways won't have any advanced features or powerful engine which higher variants get . If priced right , given the reliability and better build of Honda , I would seriously consider Elevate .

I am sure quite a lot of buyers who are looking for base variant of Creta or Seltos , will switch to Elevate.
Hi VigneshMC - Got your point, however, we haven't seen lower variants of Elevate. Interior ambiance of the lower variants may not be as good as top end showcased here. Beside in open market lots of modifications for interior is available for Seltos, Creta, Grand Vitara & Hyryder with genuine parts which, for sure, will not be available for Elevate. As I mentioned is few post earlier, 4k per month is very much doable for Elevate, which Honda appears to be happy with. I just hope that Elevate won't eat City sale, I mean 1500 for City and 4000 for Elevate will not be good. It should have been 2500-3000 for City & 4000-4500 for Elevate on monthly basis.
GoBabyGo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:29   #68
BHPian
 
UD17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Dwarahat
Posts: 402
Thanked: 1,219 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusional_fool View Post
If I'm not wrong for Honda city 120 KMPH comes at around 2700 RPM.

So far it looks like Honda is not targeting to get more than 3K volume/Month.
My Gen3 city numbers on highway: 120KMPH @>3000rpm,100KMPH@2700rpm

3K/month is a decent number for Honda if they can sustain that. But knowing there is still significant waiting period for almost all SUVs, Honda can capitalize this demand shortfall by quickly delivering Elevate.
UD17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:29   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,640
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
ADAS Level 1 (Without Radar, suspect effectiveness under rains and at night)
Not having radar doesn't mean it's not level 2 ADAS. The elevate comes with Level 2 ADAS.

Even Tesla is moving away from radar to camera only ADAS due to safety concerns. Reference link


Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Engine isn't a relaxed cruiser. 100 KPH at 2600 rpm and 120 at 3200 rpm is too high! Even my Sonet 1.0 cruises at a much lower 2200 RPM at 100 kph.
Did team-bhp miss reviewing the CVT variant completely ? I am unable to see it anywhere. CVT should have a taller gearing than the manual which could be the reason why the ARAI mileage figures of CVT is better than the MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Claimed Fuel efficiency is much lower for both manual and CVTs than the respective Seltos variants.
The real life fuel economy of NA engines should be better than the turbo charged Petrols regardless of what the ARAI ratings say. Waiting for the fuel economy test from Autocar India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=yzUVKd2XnNU

In the above review at 10:40 Vivekji mentions that the top speed is limited to 160kph in the Elevate, unlike the City which goes beyond 185kph. The explanation he received from Honda was that they avoided any/all risks with the boxy design & high ground clearance.
Honda has done it previously with the Amaze as well where they limited the speed to 140 kmph. I will appreciate Honda for doing it if their engineers are not confident about the safety of their cars at such high speeds.
amalji is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:34   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Noida
Posts: 267
Thanked: 705 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Was this sarcasm? How can one view a car that suits more 2018 than 2023 as a positive? Also equipment wise, IMO, the Hyryder offers better equipment and the important Hybrid option, which Honda missed out on.
.
Hi 07CR - My daughter often say 'dad your jokes (or sarcasm) are too poor' and you also failed to get my sarcasm. I agree with you 100% and I am as much or more disappointed with Elevate (as a user of Honda City VMT 2018).
GoBabyGo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:47   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,466
Thanked: 4,180 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Not having radar doesn't mean it's not level 2 ADAS. The elevate comes with Level 2 ADAS.
But they have nothing for the rear cross traffic alerts. For level 2 ADAS you need to have the rear cross traffic functionality. MG Astor which is a level 2 car has it and so does the Seltos Facelift. MG Gloster does not have it, and hence MG still advertises it as Level 1 ADAS. Neither is Honda claiming the Elevate to be a Level 2 ADAS vehicle. If so, please provide any link for the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The real life fuel economy of NA engines should be better than the turbo charged Petrols regardless of what the ARAI ratings say. Waiting for the fuel economy test from Autocar India.
Seltos IVT ARAI rating- 17.7 kmpl. Elevate CVT -16.9 KMPL.
Seltos NA Manual ARAI rating- 17 kmpl, Elevate Manual- 15.31 kmpl. As you can see the NA variants are quite lower in terms of Fuel efficiency with NA variants of Seltos.
07CR is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:48   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,476
Thanked: 7,441 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Toyota Yaris- This was a great product that TKML launched back in the day, with 7 airbags as standard, no-nonsense engineering in the 1.5 NA, Toyota reliability. But it simply did not work when the market was moving towards feature rich cars with more power/performance.
Apart from ADAS (which is again likely not a standard feature across Elevate variants) I dont see much difference between this car and the established Korean/VAG rivals. In fact the VAG cars may be equally exciting to drive in the 1.0 TSI guise (forget the 1.5 TSI). Help me understand what makes the Elevate a better choice than, say, a Taigun 1.0 TSI.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:50   #73
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR51/HR29/HR26
Posts: 2,737
Thanked: 21,101 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The real life fuel economy of NA engines should be better than the turbo charged Petrols regardless of what the ARAI ratings say. Waiting for the fuel economy test from Autocar India.

Honda has done it previously with the Amaze as well where they limited the speed to 140 kmph. I will appreciate Honda for doing it if their engineers are not confident about the safety of their cars at such high speeds.
FE of Elevate is up for speculation right now. Honda has shortened the gear ratios, which can very well be the reason behind the lower figures. If that is the case, the effect will be there in real world conditions as well. Then again, the new Verna 1.5 iVT is just as efficient as City CVT in urban traffic. Kushaq/Taigun 1.0 TSi engine also provides similar fuel efficiency in city traffic. So, Elevate cannot be more efficient than Creta/Seltos. It’s a matter of how much lesser.

As for Amaze/Brio being limited to 140, it was due to cost cutting and design limitations of vehicle components. Don’t fall for the marketing lines. If they are limiting the Elevate to 160, then it has to be because
a. they have identified that some component has reached its limit and cannot take more load. (highly unlikely)
Or
b. they have done some invisible cost cutting and de-specced something from City specs. (much more likely)

Otherwise, there is no reason for this car’s speed to be capped when the City is unrestricted and good for 185kmph or thereabouts. Especially when all reviews indicate that Elevate has much better stability and high speed manners than City.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st August 2023 at 16:52.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:52   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,640
Thanked: 3,175 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Otherwise, there is no reason for this car’s speed to be capped when the City is unrestricted and good for 185kmph or thereabouts. Especially when all reviews indicate that Elevate has much better stability and high speed manners than City.
The biggest difference is the ground clearance. I don't think there is any Honda worldwide with as high a ground clearance as the elevate and i don't think Honda engineers are used to high ground clearance for that reason. The fact that it's a small vehicle exaggerates that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Toyota Yaris- This was a great product that TKML launched back in the day, with 7 airbags as standard, no-nonsense engineering in the 1.5 NA, Toyota reliability. But it simply did not work when the market was moving towards feature rich cars with more power/performance.
Yaris did not lose out due to features. In fact, it was flooded with features compared to its competitors. It lost out due to space and practicality normally two things which Toyota does well with their other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Apart from ADAS (which is again likely not a standard feature across Elevate variants) I dont see much difference between this car and the established Korean/VAG rivals. In fact the VAG cars may be equally exciting to drive in the 1.0 TSI guise (forget the 1.5 TSI). Help me understand what makes the Elevate a better choice than, say, a Taigun 1.0 TSI.
  • The 1.5 Honda i-vtec will be a much more tractable engine compared to the VW 1.0 TSI. My friend recently upgraded from a Honda City to a VW 1.0 TSI Taigun and he misses the Honda i-VTEC CVT combination a lot.
  • More space for the passenger
  • More boot space
  • Peace of mind with reliability of the drivetrain
  • ADAS
  • Possibly even a better air conditioner

Last edited by amalji : 1st August 2023 at 17:05.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:53   #75
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 107
Thanked: 242 Times
Re: Honda Elevate Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
.. Please consider this as a delayed launch by Honda, which means a product which should have been launched in 2018 is launching in 2023, that's it. ...
That exactly is the whole problem, isn't it? Most of us are having the same complaint with Honda. Why are they not offering something which is more contemporary.
Honda should learn from Maruti/Toyota. Maruti launched the Grand Vitara with almost all the feel good features of Creta and even more. The Grand Vitara offers the ventilated seats, 360 camera, HUD, panoramic sunroof, etc. Why can't Honda offer the same in Elevate.
How will even the Honda loyalists be able to justify Elevate against a Vitara or Seltos or Creta?
Only the pricing may justify it. But, I highly doubt they will price this lower considering the price of the Honda City. The City ZX CVT is priced almost at par with Verna SX(O) IVT. As per that, the Elevate ZX CVT would be priced very close to the Creta SX(O) IVT.
axe_deo is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks