Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2023, 19:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass 4x2 AT First Drive & Preview

Good move by Jeep to promote their sales in India!

The Compass Blackshark looks mean and sporty for a car of its class and the Meridian Overland looks quite luxurious.

Quick Note: The Compass still has halogen tail lamps. When will they change this? They should have at least added them on these variants.
Raghav07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 08:23   #17
BHPian

That Blackshark edition looks good except for the badge which looks like a cheap afterthought.

Last edited by Sheel : 22nd September 2023 at 09:00. Reason: Typos.
Bluengel180 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd September 2023, 09:20   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav07 View Post

Quick Note: The Compass still has halogen tail lamps. When will they change this? They should have at least added them on these variants.
Those are LED reflector headlamps, not halogens. Even the now discontinued base Sport model had these since the 2021 facelift.
Old 22nd September 2023, 09:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Those are LED reflector headlamps, not halogens. Even the now discontinued base Sport model had these since the 2021 facelift.
I was talking about the taillamps and rear brake lights. Some newer models still have halogen brake lights it but it looks like the Blackshark has LED's at the back, can you confirm? It is vert hard to tell from the images.

The Compass had projector setup before the facelift and now has LED's like you mentioned for the headlights.

Last edited by Raghav07 : 22nd September 2023 at 09:51.
Raghav07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 17:59   #20
BHPian

Was at the unveiling of the Compass 4x2 AT at KHT Prime Jeep. The Compass was unvieled after a delay of about two hours due to a lack of customers in attendance.

Here are some observations from a 30 min spin of the 2.0 Diesel AT, particularly in comparison to the 1.4 Petrol DDCT :

Improved Tractability: The Diesel AT has impressively better lower-end, which made maneuvering through slow-moving traffic a breeze. As the turbo engaged, the car felt more agile and responsive. The acceleration was notably linear and smooth, distinguishing it from other lighter vehicles in its class.

Weighty Feel: While the 2.0 Multijet Diesel AT is a more capable powertrain than the now-discontinued petrol version, it still exhibits a sense of weightiness, particularly at lower speeds. The engine is by no means underpowered, but it does feel like it has its task cut out.

Refinement and Noise: In terms of refinement, it's decent, but the typical diesel clatter is noticeable. There's a certain amount of noise that seeps into the cabin, but the vibrations are well controlled. Personally, I found the refinement of the 1.4 petrol variant to be more to my liking.

Transmission Performance: While it would have been a nice addition for Jeep to introduce a sports mode or paddle shifters for added control, the 9-speed AT demonstrated a higher level of confidence when it came to gear shifting compared to the DCT. However, the manual mode didn't seem very practical during the 30-minute drive I took, as it often didn't allow for manual shifting.

Cabim Ambience:The insides of the top specced 'Model S' I explored later appeared somewhat claustrophobic in comparison to the lighter and livelier feel inside the cabin of the Limited (O) that I drove. Jeep somehow seems to have gone a bit overboard with the all-black interior theme. Of course, this is purely a matter of personal choice.

In summary, the Compass 2.0 Diesel AT appears to be a more well-rounded package. It effortlessly handles city driving and should prove equally capable on highways. Despite the initial sense of heaviness, its improved tractability and transmission performance make it a solid choice for those looking for an all-around driving experience.

Sharing a few pictures from the event

Jeep Compass 4x2 AT First Drive & Preview-jeep1.jpg

Jeep Compass 4x2 AT First Drive & Preview-jeep3.jpg

Jeep Compass 4x2 AT First Drive & Preview-jeep4.jpg
pannags is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2023, 20:45   #21
BHPian

I am only comparing ex-showroom prices of Sport MT vs. Longitude MT/AT vs. Longitude(O) MT/AT.
I feel these will be the best-selling variants and are comparable to Harrier/Safari and XUV700/Scorpio-N in terms of price point, performance, feature-rich and premium feel.

Longitude gets below features over Sport
  • Dual zone Auto AC
  • Fog lamps - front and rear
  • Auto headlight
  • Push start-stop button
  • Auto power folding ORVMs
  • Rear parcel tray
  • 6 speakers
  • 10.1 touch screen with wireless AA and Apple Carplay
  • 7-inch Digital instrument cluster
  • Steel grey half leatherette and half fabric seats
  • Soft touch leatherette panels on Doors and Dashboard

Longitude(O) gets below exclusive features
  • Panoramic sunroof
  • Connected Car tech features

AT gets below exclusive features
  • Auto Hold
  • Cruise Control

Sport MT to Longitude MT - 20.49 to 21.99 - 1.5 lacs difference.
It's a very tempting upgrade for manual only.

Sport MT to Longitude AT - 20.49 to 23.99 - 3.5 lacs difference.
Totally worth for convenience of AT, but approx. 30 lacs OTR for State RTOs, expensive entry point for AT.

Longitude MT to Longitude(O) MT - 21.99 to 24.49 - 2.5 lacs difference.
Expensive upgrade, approx. 30 lacs OTR for State RTOs.

Longitude MT to Longitude AT - 21.99 to 23.99 - 2 lacs difference.
AT cost differential seems little higher, 1.5 lacs would have been sweet.

Longitude AT to Longitude(O) AT 23.99 to 26.49 - 2.5 lacs difference.
Expensive upgrade, well above 30 lacs OTR for State RTOs.

Big miss, 6 airbags standard across range.

Last edited by varunswnt : 23rd September 2023 at 21:13.
varunswnt is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 19:54   #22
BHPian

Baring the Automatic variants, I was looking at the prices of the Compass facelift and it seems they have increased the price by approximately 3.5L (Limited, S) for the equivalent variants in the last two years. I wanted to know if there’s any significant additions or its the Jeep way.

The 2021 pricing-
Attached Images

sachin_cs is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2023, 15:20   #23

Jeep Compass after 3 years of love at first sight

This is my inaugural post on Team-BHP . Elated to share my new ownership journey of Jeep Compass 4x2 MT Night Eagle.
Before that a quick introduction about myself - I am a software professional with being an automobile enthusiast at heart. I drive Santro Xing 2005 model. The first car in our home dates when I was in class 11th (yes that's how old I am today ). The sole reason for getting the Korean home was that it is a reliable and a no non-sense car with King Khan being the brand ambassador in those days. The more I drove Santro, the more I fell in love with it. (More on Santro love later, as I don't want to steal the thunder from Jeep)
The Jeep Compass love story dates back to the April 2020, when we (myself and better half) visited the jeep dealership in the area when 2020 facelift was launched.
I must say that we both fell in love with the car instantly (of-course this was second instance for both of us, after having fallen for each other in 2015 ). My wife still has that pic of red color jeep compass Sport model.
But back in those days we were financially not in position to make heavy commitment. Hence, with a heavy heart we missed the face-lift introductory deals.
I don't know why and how, but the SA at the dealership kept in touch over the past 3+ years. He used to ping me on WhatsApp and send greetings time-to-time and also any new offers or updates that Jeep brought in.
Meanwhile, in these past years I switched the job from a service company to one of the biggest product companies (No rewards for guess ). This brought in the option for car lease. And over these years the bug for Jeep Compass was ever growing.
One fine day, on September 5 2023, I was at doctor's clinic sitting outside awaiting for my turn. The SA pinged me - mentioning that company is launching Diesel AT in compass with minor update in the current model (front grill and alloy design being picked from Meridian). Frankly, I didn't like the new update and thought that this could be an opportunity for grabbing some good deal on the outgoing models. I casually inquired for the current stock and he said he had few Night Eagles (one Exotica Red and two Magnesio Grey) and company was offering good discounts on them.
I had been a fan of Night Eagle's all black interior and dual-tone color combination. As otherwise it was only available in Model S.
Once back home from the doctor's appointment, I discussed it with my wife and parents about the new proposition. Next upcoming weekend we went for a test drive. I instantly asked the SA to book the red color car with the booking amount.
Since the car was already in the stock, he got the car from yard to the showroom and PDI was completed. Within a week the car was delivered. The delivery process was instant and seamless. Finally the 3+ years long pending dream is fulfilled.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass 4x2 AT First Drive & Preview-teambhp.jpg  

DynamicTS07 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 14:18   #24
BHPian

The leaks suggest 1.3L Turbo Petrol on cards. Jeep should have gone with the 2L engine? They already have it in US?

Forum discussion here

As many suggested in the forum that right hand drive Compass will not score 5* rating jn GNCAP due to some fuel pump placement seems to be just pure speculations as the same engine based Tata twins scored 5* in GNCAP.

Let me summarize
  • Jeep launched 4X2 variant of top model
  • Jeep launched Black Shark limited edition variant
  • Jeep is testing 1.3L petrol engine
  • Jeep launched updated Meridian
  • Tata twins which share the same 2.0L fiat engine as Compass has scored[/url] 5*, which debunks the speculations regarding Jeep not sending cars to GNCAP due to fuel pump placement

Yet people will say "Don't go with Jeep, it will leave India soon".

They are slow, but they are catching up. I think Jeep is happy the way they are right now in India. Increasing customer touch points won't hurt them.

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 17th October 2023 at 14:19.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2023, 10:43   #25

I think Jeep is planning for a strong position in India strategically as they are looking at India also as an export hub for APAC region. Also, Black Shark is being marketed as designed specifically for Indian market
Frankly before getting the 2.0L diesel MT, I test drove 1.4L Petrol AT sometime back and did not like the overall package at all due to its sluggish response in the real-time driving conditions.
Not sure how 1.3L Petrol will help either. But 2.0 diesel is the one that is class apart.
DynamicTS07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2023, 14:17   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally Jeep Compass 2WD AT review is out by Autocar. Looks like they were not very interested in doing this review given its more than a month since our review.

Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 11:00   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Finally Jeep Compass 2WD AT review is out by Autocar. Looks like they were not very interested in doing this review given its more than a month since our review.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=zbOpnIrE0WE
I am seriously considering the diesel 4X2 AT . This is my first SUV and my previous car was the VW Jetta 1.4TSI manual which is now retiring after 7 years of faultless service. I scouted around for a sedan around 28 to 32 L but today , sedans are a rare breed. Hence an SUV is indicated.
Of all the SUVs in theis price range the pedigree & styling of the Compass is most impressive , ahead of the Korean and Chinese makers, if the budget is not the prime consideration. It also has a badge of exclusivity and a robust build quality and promise of lasting value that is attractive to me as the buyer.
I request some response from my learned friends in this forum whether the 2.0 diesel AT is a sensible choice . It is a very new launch but if I can get some first hand owner experience, it will be very welcome.
Thanks a pile Happy Deepawali
Dead Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 11:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
I am seriously considering the diesel 4X2 AT . This is my first SUV and my previous car was the VW Jetta 1.4TSI manual which is now retiring after 7 years of faultless service. I scouted around for a sedan around 28 to 32 L but today , sedans are a rare breed. Hence an SUV is indicated.
Of all the SUVs in theis price range the pedigree & styling of the Compass is most impressive , ahead of the Korean and Chinese makers, if the budget is not the prime consideration. It also has a badge of exclusivity and a robust build quality and promise of lasting value that is attractive to me as the buyer.
I request some response from my learned friends in this forum whether the 2.0 diesel AT is a sensible choice . It is a very new launch but if I can get some first hand owner experience, it will be very welcome.
Thanks a pile Happy Deepawali
Before giving my views, I should inform that I am in the same boat as you are, with the only difference that I own an Altis.
The market is now devoid of Sedans at the price band of 25-35 lakhs or should I say that we have missed it by a year or so when both Superb and Octavia were available.

About Compass, it’s a worthy machine as it is well built and drives superbly. I was able to take corners really as fast as a sedan without any drama. The interior is plush. The dimensions are spot on for the City, Highways and ghats. The only gripe in the drive department is it neither has the sports mode nor a paddle shifter to make the car most desirable. Apart from that, it is available only in Diesel that comes with its own DPF issues. One more con is about ownership experience since the dealer network is very thin and we will be left with dealing with a hit or miss experience during ownership period.
The car is worthy but the manufacturer should make more efforts in making it desirable.

PS:- My other shortlist cars are Taigun/Virtus.
Old 12th November 2023, 09:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArspeed View Post
Before giving my views, I should inform that I am in the same boat as you are, with the only difference that I own an Altis.
The market is now devoid of Sedans at the price band of 25-35 lakhs or should I say that we have missed it by a year or so when both Superb and Octavia were available.

About Compass, it’s a worthy machine as it is well built and drives superbly. I was able to take corners really as fast as a sedan without any drama. The interior is plush. The dimensions are spot on for the City, Highways and ghats. The only gripe in the drive department is it neither has the sports mode nor a paddle shifter to make the car most desirable. Apart from that, it is available only in Diesel that comes with its own DPF issues. One more con is about ownership experience since the dealer network is very thin and we will be left with dealing with a hit or miss experience during ownership period.
The car is worthy but the manufacturer should make more efforts in making it desirable.

PS:- My other shortlist cars are Taigun/Virtus.
Nice to know that we are on the same boat.
For me, the only negative about the Compass is that it is Diesel which inherently has higher noise and vibration. The lack of sports mode is not an issue for me as I dont generally drive at very high speeds. In fact , on my Polo VW GT TSI which is capable of very quick performance, I have never used the S mode even on the Pune Expressway.
There is a lot of negative stuff being posted by rival brands about poor service quality. This is mostly a social media creation.Having owned two VW vehicles over 7 years, I have had absolutely no complaints about VW service quality which is generally poorly rated on this forum and elsewhere on the net.
Of the two others in your shortlst , I would rate the Virtus as more desirable. Having drven the Taigun 1.0 TSI manual , I was not too impressed with its tepid performance. The 1.5TSI DSG would be more exciting perhaps. But I would go for the Virtus 1.5 TSI DSG given my inherent fondness for sedans. Also the DSG dual clutch makes driving pure pleasure.
Which variant of Compass are you looking at? If you are into a lot of city usage I may tend to go for the Virtus but for intercity usage the Compass is surely indicated.
I tend to prefer the 9 speed diesel Automatic Limited ( badged Bhackshark, I believe) is well in excess of 30L which is at least 7 to 10 L higher than the top end Virtus or the Taigun.
Negatives about the diesel automatic are sluggish performance at parking speeds but this is to be expected from a turbocharged diesel.
Old 12th November 2023, 10:06   #30
BHPian

I am looking at predominantly a highway drive only. I am looking at the S variant 2WD AT. Black shark is one level below the S variant and misses out on some features. I always believe in going for the top variant.
As regards my observation on the absence of Paddles or the sports mode, the same was felt lacking at highway speeds as when you floor the accelerator the engine takes its own sweet time to respond. This will certainly be a downer while overtaking.
Other than this, the 2WD AT responds slightly better than the 4WD. Although they say that there is no difference between the tuning, it does not feel sluggish in 2WD.

Last edited by CArspeed : 12th November 2023 at 10:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks