Team-BHP - Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/92207-skoda-yeti-review-price-pictures-9.html)

Good and crisp review Rehaan. I thought that Yeti has four headlights on seeing the ads, but came to know after this review - they are fog lamps. I think pricing is bit higher, but skoda can pull on with its good features and quality.

Great Review!
Have been wating in the isles for a long time to see and touch this car!
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 2141973)
Rehan Excellent Review - Rated 5 Star

Now how about the following comparo's

1) The Laura vs the Yeti (no L&K/DSG/Xenons/Auto Lights/ Electric Seats on Yeti)
2) The Yeti vs the CRV vs the Outlander (all 5 seaters but Yeti - the only Diesel - Yeti from Europe, rest from Japan)
3) The Yeti vs the Captiva vs the Aria - All 4X4 diesels with similar power but the other two are 7 seaters and have better ground clearance as well.

You could infact addto thelist:
Looking at 4x4s or soft roaders, there's a huge gap between the Scorpio/Safari and the Captiva/Fortuner. The Yeti jumps right in there. Sure, its not for everyone, but this is a niche that has potential. The Aria is trying to exploit it too.
Unquote

What about ARIA vs Yeti- As these are both "loaded to the gills" would make interesting review!
Anyone upto it!

Rgds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerardfdz (Post 2144044)
Great Review!
Have been wating in the isles for a long time to see and touch this car!

You could infact addto thelist:
Looking at 4x4s or soft roaders, there's a huge gap between the Scorpio/Safari and the Captiva/Fortuner. The Yeti jumps right in there. Sure, its not for everyone, but this is a niche that has potential. The Aria is trying to exploit it too.
Unquote

What about ARIA vs Yeti- As these are both "loaded to the gills" would make interesting review!
Anyone upto it!

Rgds

You're right about it being a niche product. But I certainly don't think the Aria is a niche product. It falls right in the Innova territory even though it's fairly more expensive. It's just bells to wake Toyota up and get them to introduce something that can beat the level of equipment that the Aria has! I've elaborated below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 2141973)
Rehan Excellent Review - Rated 5 Star

Now how about the following comparo's

1) The Laura vs the Yeti (no L&K/DSG/Xenons/Auto Lights/ Electric Seats on Yeti)
2) The Yeti vs the CRV vs the Outlander (all 5 seaters but Yeti - the only Diesel - Yeti from Europe, rest from Japan)
3) The Yeti vs the Captiva vs the Aria - All 4X4 diesels with similar power but the other two are 7 seaters and have better ground clearance as well.

I agree with the first two but not the third one.

I'll get to that in a bit,

The Yeti is not available in the L&K trim and the Laura is. And I guess most of the features you've mentioned (DSG 'box, Xenons, Electric Seats, etc) come as standard fitment in the top-of-the-line L&K. Let's wait for the Yeti L&K, if it ever comes!

Anyway,

I'm not sure about the Captiva, but the Aria doesn't fall in the same segment I think. People in the market for a 7-seater will not even look at the Yeti and that translates into a huge market. And the Yeti is not aimed at them. So I don't see why the Aria should be compared to the Aria at all!

Just my 2 cents. :)

A fantastic review of the Yeti Rehaan !

Fantastic photos and great writing there. One of the best new car reviews I have read.

The looks are a bit subjective, BUT I have a feeling this will sell.

I was looking forward to adding the Yeti to my fleet of two -- a 1995 Esteem and a 2010 Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI A/T -- but am disappointed that it does not have an A/T, which I feel is a must for our congested urban areas, may it be Delhi or Tier II and III towns. Now I will wait for 2011 in the hope of the arrival of the A/T and, perhaps, the 1.4 TSI engine, which I hear is fabulous. Anyway, I would not have gone for the Yeti at the fag end of 2010!

When seen from not too far, the car looks almost like Premier Rio stupid:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Pujari (Post 2144240)
When seen from not too far, the car looks almost like Premier Rio stupid:

That is indeed a bit harsh of a comment! :)

I spent a bit of time in and around the Yeti(s) at Vinayak Auto yesterday. They had a test vehicle, but I was on my way elsewhere and did not have the time to wait for that. I plan to return shortly to drive this~ from what I heard, the drive is more a swing around the block, anyway. All the walk-ins while I was there came looking at the Yeti, so there is interest, if not intent.

I have been interested in the Yeti given the practical advantages of its offer: small footprint, more rough and ready compared to the sedans, as well as what I expected would be availability in dark/ black leather interiors. This as I cart a large dog around fairly often for fairly long distances (1400 km round trips), and the Palio is long in the tooth year wise though not Km wise. I liked the darker, more olive, shade of leather on the seats, though you can see the dirt even on the dark leather. Another nice piece of practicality was the underside cladding of the seats were in black, and not beige like the Laura has. (In comparison the display Laura has dirty seats, door sills, carpets, and even door handles!!~ beige will be the death of us all.) What I did NOT like was the limited leg room at the back ( I am six foot two, and with the driver's seat all the way back, I cannot fit in the back without jamming my knee firmly into the back of the seat. I know if I do the driving, this is a non-issue, but still, not all Indians are 5'10 inches or thereabouts!) Rear seats can slide forward to recline the backrest, so with a person in front already taking up available space, this becomes a non-option at the back. I also found the boot space to be quite small. Compared to the Laura, it is positively parsimonious. Part of this is because of the high boot floor, (almost sill level thanks to the spare wheel underneath) You have fairly constrained usable space between floor and parcel shelf.

Given the off-shoulder if not off-road and go-anywhere positioning, there needs to be some space to back up your claim for utility cred. The problem with the way the Yeti has been designed is that this utility comes from the Vario-flex seating. Taking out the seats liberates huge amounts of space ( but not flat~ there is a big stepped drop from the boot to the back of the front seats). One has to commit to making the space required, either by folding the rear seats, or removing them and leaving them at home altogether. But then when I need those seats at my destination to cart parents and friends around, where would they be? As a driver, you cannot fault equipment at hand too much; it is fairly comprehensive on the Elegance spec variant, though an auto box should have been an option for this. I was also unable to figure out whether the Bolero infotainment system allows you to plug in a GPS module for in-dash navigation. I think not, which is a pity, given that you get Hyundais and Tatas with this capability these days. After spending what you will at this price, having to stick a suction cup mounted phone or sat nav device onto your windscreen 'sucs'!

The final disconcerting bit is the on-road price in Bangalore for the Elegance trim: 20,75,700 odd including mandatory Skoda shield (2+2 years) and dealer provided insurance. The depreciation-free package is another 14,000 odd. This without the option of an auto box. So, apart from the dirt-magnet interiors, the Auto version of the Laura Elegance looks more attractive from a VFM point of view than having to pay for a Haldex clutch and hill descent control that you might use once in your car's entire lifetime. I was hoping to see value in the Yeti, but will have to think long and hard at this (Bangalore) price!

I agree - 20.75L is an absolute ridiculous OTR pricing for Yeti. Yeti's reliability on Indian conditions is unknown while Skoda's reliability on service front is known - combined this makes the investment of 20L+ a bit risky.

I have a question for people who took a TD of Yeti :

Does Yeti suffer from similar AC problems as in Laura - less cooling and more windshield misting ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 2142648)
Did you do any offroading/trail bashing with the Yeti?
If yes, how much in can the Yeti accomplish when compared to the T-Fort in off road or trail bashing situations?
80%, 90% or more?

The Fortuner has 221mm ground clearance (vs Yeti's 180mm), and add to that the Fortuner has a separate low ratio gearbox - a key tool!
This in itself differentiates the capabilities of the two greatly.

For example, there's no way a Yeti would be able to keep up in situations like these :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...boot-camp.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 2142648)
Also, for a family of four, which is a better vehicle? The Yeti or the Aria?

For a family of four, if you're okay with the looks, I'd pick the Yeti.
Its got more bells and whistles, feels more upmarket on the inside and is more involving to drive.

For more than four, the equation changes a little, as the Aria does have much more interior space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carradio (Post 2142711)
But it does not have the parking assist with that display. is it possible to add it on the Jetta?

I'm sure there is a module you could add on. International VW forums would be the best place to find your answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2142762)
....it's actually nano which is as tall as SUVs...

I wouldn't go as far as saying the Nano is as tall as SUVs. But yes, its the tall boy design of the Nano adding to this effect. However, the Wagon R too is about the same height as the Yeti. Taller than the Nano infact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 2142762)
...It is strange that the inner plastic trim doesn't follow the profile and leaves the flimsy sheet metal visible.

The windows are blacked out along that curve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKM (Post 2143041)
two aspects make me hesitate - i) your mention about the perceptible engine sound (in that case why shouldn't I choose the Scorpio, if my car will still sound like one?)

Its not irritating or LOUD. Its just evident. Just as much as most diesel cars, however, it could have been better insulated IMO.

cya
R

This whole Yeti concept sounds good but as jeremy clarkson puts it "it's like an ipod which is clean, nice sound (yeti) but not as good as seeing the band live (fortuner)".

Here's an interesting video that I found on some of the off road abilities of the Yeti. Search for skoda yeti off road on youtube for more on this.

YouTube - Skoda YETI 4x4 Off ROAD WERSJA PE?NA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Invinsible (Post 2144764)
Here's an interesting video that I found on some of the off road abilities of the Yeti.

Nice find, thanks for sharing! Puts things in perspective, doesn't it :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 2144783)
Nice find, thanks for sharing! Puts things in perspective, doesn't it :)

There are many such videos if one does the search. I wonder how many of them would dare to take their sedan in such a terrain.
What I have come to an understanding is it's shorter length/overhangs, not to big wheel base, 180gc and all the 4x4 gizmos in there that compliments each other to achieve some good off road capabilities of the Yeti.

I saw the Yeti at the showroom today but they did not have a TD vehicle. Overall its a good looking car. And it is not puny. It does look like a car worth its price in terms of size. The display model was white in color and in my opinion was quite good looking.

On the inside, the rear seat was not the most comfortable. The rear legroom was perhaps 10% less than the Laura. The boot is actually fairly modest in size too. The cabin felt fairly big since the boot area is also a part of the cabin. The tyre wells are huge and that enhances the SUVish look of the car.

All that talk about being comparable to Nano or Fabia in terms of size is useless. This is a fairly big car and the exterior dimensions are imposing enough. Eagerly waiting the test drive now.

One quirk that I noticed was that when you fold the rear middle seat to create an arm-rest, the boot of the car gets exposed and that robs the rear-seat of the premium feel.