Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 12:11   #3226
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Mahindra Thar (2011 - 2019)

Finally.... I have booked my Thar on Saturday by depositing a cheque of 50k. It was surprising to see that there was no thrill in sales team to make a Thar sale and were quite complacent about it. No worry I am used to this after going through so many posts.
I am really thrilled to own a Thar after so many deliberate attempts over 2 and a half years. I was confused between red and RB but finally chose rocky biege. Sales man convinced me hard to buy a Thar RB available with them but I insisted on getting a 2015 model which is promised by Jan end or Feb.
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2014, 10:40   #3227
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear XD2 - those are exactly the headlights that I want. Can you please send me your contact number by PM, I'll call you on this.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th December 2014, 13:35   #3228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
Finally.... I have booked my Thar on Saturday by depositing a cheque of 50k. It was surprising to see that there was no thrill in sales team to make a Thar sale and were quite complacent about it. No worry I am used to this after going through so many posts.
I am really thrilled to own a Thar after so many deliberate attempts over 2 and a half years. I was confused between red and RB but finally chose rocky biege. Sales man convinced me hard to buy a Thar RB available with them but I insisted on getting a 2015 model which is promised by Jan end or Feb.
Congrats ruchirtnt on booking a Thar. Looking forward to your ownership review in the New Year. All the best.

Swami
Old 11th December 2014, 13:42   #3229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Same thought came to my mind also after reading that Govt. has instructed NISSAN to stop selling of Datsun GO that is failing crash test regulations!

Time has come for the THAR to become a classic before it looses its charm by introducing all the 'features' and becoming a "practical" vehicle brought by the masses. Anyways I got mine so M&M can stop production now
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Congrats ruchirtnt on booking a Thar. Looking forward to your ownership review in the New Year. All the best.

Swami
Thanks Swami,
I have even started putting my thoughts in perspective

Dear Mods: Can we initiate our threads to create a Ownership thread once we book a vehicle or do we have to wait till the delivery?
Old 11th December 2014, 15:08   #3230
Senior - BHPian

A nice food for thought Audi has launched A3 cabriolet at 44.5 lacs and we are getting ours at just 8.5 lacs and there is no competition in between
In the meantime I got a call from the Dealer and he suggested he has a ready available rocky biege available and I can take delivery but I refused to stick to 2015 model only

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 11th December 2014 at 15:11.
Old 15th December 2014, 11:56   #3231
Senior - BHPian

Is the front bull bar available as Mahindra accessory in Thar a direct fit over the stock bumper or a total replacement?
Old 15th December 2014, 11:59   #3232
BHPian

Quote:
Is the front bull bar available as Mahindra accessory in Thar a direct fit over the stock bumper or a total replacement?
It's a fit over the stock bumper, requires drilling of a couple of holes and removal of welded clamps inside the bumper though. In my opinion, best avoided, spoils the original look of the Jeep. I had installed one, didn't like it, and subsequently removed it!
Old 15th December 2014, 16:35   #3233
BHPian

Quote:
Adding to what cpbopanna said, the OE front bumper is a thin sheet of metal and flimsy in nature. If you add the bull bar, it adds to the weight and starts sagging to the front as I have seen in couple of vehicles. Not a good option according to me.

Swami
Old 15th December 2014, 16:51   #3234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adding to what cpbopanna said, the OE front bumper is a thin sheet of metal and flimsy in nature. If you add the bull bar, it adds to the weight and starts sagging to the front as I have seen in couple of vehicles. Not a good option according to me.

Swami
Thanks Swami.I got the point suggest should I go for the Thar expedition kit bumper or can i weld some stuff out on stock bumper to mount Hella.
Second to that, today after a brief conversation with my family members cancelled rocky biege color and ordered Red thar. Hope this stays till the end.

I have now briefly jotted following accessories for me upcoming Thar:

1. Yokohama Geolander 255
2. Front bumper to be decided
3. Expedition side black steps
4. Garware/3M sun film
5. Hella fog lights
6. Thar roll over bar
7. Headlight and tail lamp grill
8. Insect mesh

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 15th December 2014 at 17:00.
Old 15th December 2014, 16:58   #3235
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Swami.I got the point suggest should I go for the Thar expedition kit bumper or can i weld some stuff out on stock bumper to mount Hella.
Hi, infact, I was also thinking of adding just a bent pipe welded to the existing bumper which will make it look much better and also will help to fix lights. That is a good option. (I have already sliced off the ends of the existing bumper i.e., the curved portion)

While saying that, I think, the expedition bumpers or the ones from Swastik Viji are made of much better sheet metal and they are much more stronger. So, think it over.

Swami

Last edited by swami69 : 15th December 2014 at 16:58. Reason: spelling issue
Old 15th December 2014, 18:59   #3236
Senior - BHPian

But I read somewhere by BD sir that stock bumper is must to keep hence I was looking to add something instead of disowning them. Any help? If I have no option then which is better swastik or expedition one?

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 15th December 2014 at 19:06.
Old 15th December 2014, 19:07   #3237
BHPian

Quote:

I have now briefly jotted following accessories for me upcoming Thar:

1. Yokohama Geolander 255
2. Front bumper to be decided
You will not get Yoko Geo 255mm in 16" size. They are only available in 245mm.
Are you going for M/T or A/T?
My opinion is that you refrain from changing the OE front bumper.
Old 15th December 2014, 19:34   #3238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
You will not get Yoko Geo 255mm in 16" size. They are only available in 245mm.
Are you going for M/T or A/T?
My opinion is that you refrain from changing the OE front bumper.
Yes. They are available in 255/70/16 means with 16" wheel base AT tyres. Even I am thinking to stick to stock bumper but need to have the raised form to stick hella and a winch to it. Is there any modifier selling one?
Old 15th December 2014, 21:33   #3239
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, infact, I was also thinking of adding just a bent pipe welded to the existing bumper which will make it look much better and also will help to fix lights. That is a good option. (I have already sliced off the ends of the existing bumper i.e., the curved portion)

While saying that, I think, the expedition bumpers or the ones from Swastik Viji are made of much better sheet metal and they are much more stronger. So, think it over.

Swami
Please check my thread, I have retained the stock bumpers and installed fog lamps on an MS angle, welded to the chassis right behind the bumper, the MS structure is not visible at all!
Old 15th December 2014, 22:30   #3240
BHPian

Quote:
I have a chrome bull-bar on my Thar only because it was installed by the first owner. I have grown fond of its looks and it has helped out in a couple of minor fender benders.

On the negative side it adds to the noise during the drive by causing some rattles and squeaks and needs to be tightened often. One other issue is that the stock position of the number plate mounting holes get covered and the stock number plate will not fit. Swami has already mentioned the drooping bumper already - that too will happen over time and with kids hanging from the bull bar and people trying their strength with it.
sjcherian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks